Options

ASICS Super Six: Peter (Sub-3:00)

Comments

• Options
    That sounds a very good session but probably very hard work after Sunday and with a half marathon this weekend, I might be tempted to only run 10 at 8 minute miles tomorrow rather than 13 as it was a lot harder than the 200s would have been and no point overdoing it when things are going so well. Liz is very friendly and very easy to talk to - I think she may be at the 10K i have to go to Sunday otherwise would have been at Watford myself.
  • Options
    Peter - nice to meet you this evening, glad you enjoyed the session!
  • Options

Hi Pete - sounds like a great session you did tonight, and as you said running with a group of like minded (and better) runners always helps to bring you along and push yourself a bit more. Sounds liek a great Club in terms of ability.

Good luck on Sunday at Watford.

• Options
    RS78RS78 ✭✭✭

Good luck in Watford on Sunday Peter, Watford's a really good race, challenging but a great scenic route. Be interested to see what you run in this.

Good luck mate.

• Options
    Thanks marigold nice to meet you yesterday to and thanks for the support for sunday guys i'll be sure to let you know how it goes. Last nite and today the top right side of my left calf has been really sore, not sure if its because its my body getting use to the inosole ive been wearing in my left shoe since sunday or a build up of some tough sessions. Nothing ive had a problom with before so taken the inosole out for now and going to head out in a bit and see how it holds up. If alls well i'll take your advice and only put in 10 miles steve.
  • Options

After recent  postive sessions today wasnt one to add to that list image. Went out and felt the calf from the off but pushed on to see how it went. It started to become less noticeable after a few miles but then just ran out of energy like a few weeks ago. Think it was again because i dindnt eat as structured as i usually do during the day and i know from experience that if my diet is messed up my runs really suffer. Also my gps wouldnt connect, one of those days i think......!

Anyways after all that i put i about 7 miles at probably something like 8-8:30 min pace but my calf isnt any better and still pretty sore. Just had a good stretch and hopeing it eases over the next few days but i'll prob rest it up tommorow and then hopefully an easy 5 on fri before sunday. Fingers crossed!

• Options

I think yesterday's session on top of Sunday may have been a little too much at this stage but yes take tomorrow off - stretch and ice the calf and possibly think about getting treatment. Good luck with it.

re the insoles, clearly they work for some but personally I  have survived 40 years of running without too many problems, just getting adjustments to body when needed by osteo or chiro. However, I can see podiatrists view that an insert or orthotic can be a more permanent correction than a realignment by treatment , which can then go back to as before at a later date.

I do know lots of instances where an orthotic clears one problem and causes another.

• Options

Pete - clearly a day for problems with the satellites, I did almost 0.4 miles before my Garmin locked on! 

I had a good going over from the physio today to get my sacroiliac joint moving and was wondering whether the straightening up due to that would make the heel insert redundant

• Options

Nice one Clifton - adding an insole at this point of training. 

Did Peter's legs suddenly become different lengths?

Hope the calf is alright.

• Options

Pete - Did you get any instructions on breaking in the insole?  I wear orthotics and when I first got them I got pretty strict instructions on how to break them in - I also had them adjusted countless times. I know that an insert to counteract leg length anomalies involves a lot less intervention but still wonder if gentle breaking wouldn't be appropriate.

On a related point have you improved your core strength at all?  It'll help with the calf and also with adjusting to a new insert.

I'm glad that I switched last nights session and did 8 miles + a few strides.  It meant that I could manage 11 today.  Still shockingly unfit but heading in the right direction!

• Options

Hope the calf sorts itself out with a bit of rest in the next few days. It sounds like you have had a few decent & hard training sessions in the past few days. Hope all goes well on Sunday. Today was probably a reminder to keep yourself fuelled up properly. I swear by my afternoon soreen snack!

• Options
    Cheers steve yeah iced it tonight and mite try and get a physio session in on fri. No real instructions clearly im not saying that was the reason for my calf it could quite easily be me pushing to hard over the last few days but anyways hopefully it'l clear up soon. My core strength is pretty good i try work on it a lot so hopefully this should support my calf amoungst other things. Sounds like a good session anyway and the fitness will come im sure image. Glad to hear the physio was working his magic Bridget and hopefully the satalites will be back soon!
  • Options

Pete - Took me about 3 months to break my insoles in properly a couple of years ago - including some pretty painful experiences with abrasions on the inner arches. If they're going to actually do anything they should almost be definition cause your gait to change subtly (hopefully for the better) and hence "hurt" and feel really weird  initially. I have to say I wish I didn't "need" them (I wear them all the time in everyday shoes as well) but I feel very unsupported and my foot feels too mobile if I dare to try anything without them. I suppose the option of slowly trying to change the biodynamics of my gait would have been a better one but long term they seem to have really helped me.

Like Clearly and Moraghan say - I couldn't possibly have contemplated trying to break them in during a phase of hard training. 

Are you massaging your calf with a tennis ball ??

• Options

Pete, I won't go into too many details because everybody is different but I had to break mine in first by wearing them during the day for an hour - gradually build this time up over a couple of weeks - then gradually incorporate them into running.  I wasn't really running very much at all at the time (I couldn't without getting injured) so it was relatively easy for me to include them in my training.  If at any time they became uncomfortable I had to go back to the orthotist where he adjusted them.

If you have different leg lengths then using them will probably help with longevity.  In the short term though getting them right may require backing off a little on training.

All that said I know plenty of people who put inserts/orthotics/insoles into their shoes and successfully kept going with very little alteration to their training.  It might as you said also be a case of having pushed things a little hard recently - that session on Tuesday was a real killer.  Steve's advice seems sensible in the first instance - I'd also give consideration to removing the insert until your calf has recovered and mabe reintroduce it when you've got a period of relatively easy running (are there a couple of recovery weeks in the plan?).

Good luck!

• Options

I think orthotics are good but I see them more as a last resort and If everything was going well training wise, I would not do something that would alter the balance of my running unnaturally. I guess the argument would be that if you were inbalanced on leg lengths that you might have got injured later and maybe it was just overload of two hard sessions within 3 days.

However,  I would suggest as Clearly says and remove for now and see how you get on without it and only go back to it, if you feel you need it.

• Options
    MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    Steve - I read with interest your views on the use of orthotics as I have resisted artificial props up till now but have been told, following a biomechanical assessment, that the reason I overpronate is due to a structural reason and not because I am not doing enough on the strengthening side of things to address any imbalances. I have managed so far without orthotics but a podiatrist has suggested I try some customised off the shelf ones from time to time if I feel niggles. From what I have just read, it doesn't seem likely that I will be able to do that if these things take time to accustom my feet to them.

How would you suggest I incorporate the advice given?

I value your opinion as it echoes the conclusions I came to many years ago when I first experienced running-related injuries following pregnancies and began to better understand the mechanics of my running.
  • Options
    MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    PS Sorry for slight hijack of thread, Peter! I lurk regularly and am appreciating the advice on here and watching your progress with interest!
  • Options

I'm not a foot expert, and i'm sure orthotics have helped a great many runners but my experience from my 40 years of running and runners in my training group is that it is best, if possible, to get a osteo or chiro to adjust the body back to its natural position rather than run unaligned with a body in a wrong position but having something in the shoe that addresses the balance ie there you have 2 things out of synch rather than 0 and I feel 2 wrongs don't always make a right.

In many cases, I am sure that sometimes orthotics are the only way a runner can run without pain but I feel you should go along that route only if all other ways have failed and I do worry that maybe a few podiatrists may recommend orthotics not because they are the only way to correct a problem but that's how they make money.

personally i would suggest seeing an osteo or chiro first but if that doesn't work then gradually breaking the orthotics in.

• Options
    Fraser Wells wrote (see)
    Doodge - That's a quick medium run you did there. Essentially 15 at MP. Watch you don't overstretch yourself at this stage. Was that progressive or did you just go out to hammer it at under 6.50 from the off ? If 6.30s are feeling comfortable for  all of a medium long untapered solo effort for as long as 15 miles you'll be well under 3.00 on the day

I did that 15 mile around MP from the off, not progressive, in an event.  But I was pretty tired the next few days!  I'm going to try & see if I can hit a sub 1.25 half marathon soon, as I guess many of us on this thread will be trying to do, in order to have more confidence of reaching our sub 3 goals, so that'll be key.  On that note, very best of luck to Peter in Watford.

I really agree with Steve's comment on osteo/ orthotics above.  I've had both orthotics (which I broke in well) & non-orthotics and definitely prefer not having them, and focusing on strengthening exercises instead to correct things instead.  I've also found some osteos are good at sorting things out eg functional leg length discrepancy (ie leg length is different due to stiffness rather than bone length) whereas others may have recommended orthotics for example, so I'd go with Steve's advice!

Good training all!

• Options
    Pete Sorry did not get onto your thread before now.  It is recommended you carb load for events lasting 90minutes or more but I would really use a half as a “practice” for your actual marathon day so you are comfortable with your diet in the couple of days before. Because you are well trained you can carb load /optimism your carb stores (with light training) within 36-48 hours by taking on about 10- 12grams of carbs per kilogram of your body weight. This nutrition strategy allows you to run at a given pace for longer (it won’t make you run any faster but it will help if you need to put in some efforts (slight hills/end of race if you do any surges to keep with a pack). So you weigh 70kg (total guess as not got time to ask you this and get a response to you before tomorrow morning) 10grams per kilogram of your body weight  would mean 700g of carbs  for the 2 days before race on Sunday i.e. starting tomorrow . You can add carbs without much bulk by using fluid if struggle with too much solid food. . Here is an example of roughly what 700g of carbs would look like before a marathon but as suggested I would practice this to see how you feel eating this quantity of carbs in lead up to race, you would only need to follow this 2 days before. This is not recommended as an everyday diet.

Breakfast

60g of cereal  with 100ml of milk  & 2 slices of bread with a thick spread of jam/honey & 200ml of fruit juice

Mid –morning/mid afternoon snack  choices:  500ml of low fat milkshake & 1-2 jaffa cakes or 250ml orange juice/fruit juice & 2 slices of malt loaf or 1 cereal bar plus a banana & small pot of yoghurt or 2 medium slices of toast with thick spread of jam and 200ml of milk or a full sugar squash or 1 x toasted current bun and 500ml of isotonic sports drink or squash or  bagel with honey piece of fruit and 500ml of squash or 4 – 6 jaffa cakes with cereal bar or bowl of cereal & milk.     

Lunch Large baked potato with choice of filling , pot of low fat yoghurt & a large banana Mid afternoon snackChoose one from mid morning (suggest choose a different one for variety)

Evening meal: Pasta or rice aim for is about 120 dry weight of these – normally I would say choose brown/wholemeal varieties but you may find white bread, rice pasta etc feels less bulk and if you suffer stomach issues you may find lower fiber works better, add some veg (but not too much if want to keep fiber down) fillet of fish/chicken etc &  500ml of squash and follow this up with lbowl of rice pudding with tinned rice  or a snack from above. Supper Cereal bar & banana.

If you don’t have time to organized this for tomorrow before lunch I would still start it when you can and even do a day but ideally the two  so you can see how this works for you before 10th April.

• Options
    MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    Steve and Doodge - many thanks for your thoughts. I see a chiro from time to time but have not seen him for a few months so will book in to see if that helps.
  • Options
    Sorry forgot to mention actual race....: many elite runners take on little or no fluid/food during a half but  you may want to take  a gel between 45-60miumute and a little water to wet your mouth. Let me know how you feel about giving this ago.
  • Options

badbark

eating three and half hours before running is fine most people eat 2-4 before and if etaing 4 hours before some have a light snack at 2 but you need to fine what works for you within this.

Other milk is absolutely fine soya is lower/absorption lower  in calcium but this should not be an issue for you.

• Options

Thanks for everyones advice and good luck wishes for watford on sun. If alls ok with the leg i plan to follows steves advice and aim for around 1hr 27min as not to push to hard and get a postive experience out of it rather than wipe myself out for training the following week. In terms on the now infamous 'inosole'! it has been removered and dont plan to try the whole orthotic thing till after paris.

Thanks Ruth for all the nutritional advice i'll do my best to follow it for the next 2 days and will let you know how it goes, think i weigh about 75kg on a good day.

In terms of the lalf, i had physio today on it, who just thought it was a hard lump of muscle as opposed to a tear or anything which is good! Shes done her best to massage it out and ive been iceing it tonight again so it still a work in progress. It sorer that it has been but that im sure is because its been worked on which is never a fun experience. Anyways tommorw is a new day and dont worry MsE feel free to lurk and join in when you likeimage.

• Options

Thanks for the advice Ruth.

Pete - Good luck with your half on Sunday.

• Options

Hi Pete 

I'm aiming for sub-3 in London and will be running at Watford with similar hopes to finish in a (reasonably) comfortable 1h27m.

My training has been going well but felt some soreness in my achilles this week so have backed off and only been out once.

Will look out for you on Sunday.  Hope you have a good race!

• Options
    Good luck with your half on Sunday Pete.
  • Options
    Pete - what time are you aiming to get there on Sunday?
  • Options
    Good luck with the half - it might not be easy running evenly with the strong winds but just try and keep the effort even and if that means 6:20s with the wind behind and 7:10s into the wind then so be it.
  • Options
    Steve Marathon Coach wrote (see)
    Good luck with the half - it might not be easy running evenly with the strong winds but just try and keep the effort even and if that means 6:20s with the wind behind and 7:10s into the wind then so be it.
    Swings and roundabouts as they say! What you lose on one mile you'll gain on another. Good luck Pete and look forward to your report on the race.