Options

RW Forum Six - Sub 3:30

Comments

• Options
    chickstachicksta ✭✭✭
    Haha, oompa image

P&D know their stuff, so I'd say go for it. I did a half 3 weeks out and was still ran a 5 min PB in the marathon. So a 10k 2 weeks out should be alright image
  • Options

HI Pink, Glad to hear you are having a better time with the running, hope Snowdonia is good image

Hi kfc, Taper, cold. They seem to go hand in hand! Plenty of vitamin C!

Hi kiwi, Someone I know ran the Glasgow HM on the 5th Oct last year and then Chicago Marathon on the 12th! He did ok, but he is a bit of a maverick! Go for it image

Hi Oompa, Headtorch on a treadmill, that would be interesting. I have ran backwards on a treadmill to deal with ITB problems. Now that did turn some heads. One of the old fellas at the gym did comment, nice lad, but a bit strange! image

Rest day Friday and 6 miles this morning 7:40-45 mm. 16 miles planned for tomorrow and sounds like it will be windy again!

• Options
    kfc.kfc. ✭✭✭

kiwi - next Saturday.  Still not feeling right, come on immune system...

Glad you are learning to love the 3 runs a week - 30 miles a week with lots of quality is great training.

On the race 2 weeks before, I'd say definitely yes - I find the more races I do the better I can work out what pace I'm good for on marathon day and the more confident I am. I know this has worked out well for Col too - I think his last few ones he's run a half 2 weeks before a marathon.  Although, I would also say hold off this if theres any chance of irritating a niggle, or if you have a history of your calf exploding 2 weeks before a big race (sorry barry... )

oompa - ah, I understand now!  Its Reykjavik.  Cant wait - they have a huge party after the marathon and I get to soak in a hot spring for free the next day.  Thats my kind of marathon!

Although, I'm not gonna lie, I've got a feeling this one is going to be mentally challenging.  I've been deliberating over paces, and being honest with myself and if I get rid of this cold 3.30 is probably realistic.  However, I wanted to attempt 3.15 here (nowhere near) or at least a PB (3.23), so I'm pretty sure I'm going to go for 3.20 pace and see how long I can hold it.  I'm in better shape now than for VLM when thats what I did - I ran at 3.20 pace for 16 miles then shuffled at 10min miles for the rest, but probably not as good shape as when I ran 3.23 - when I did a really even paced strong run.  

What do you guys think? Push the pace and risk crashing in a blaze of glory, or give up on a PB but give myself the chance of staying strong to the end?

• Options

Kiwi - I normally race 2 or 3 weeks before a mara so I'd say go for it but the only caveat being don't do it if you have any niggles/concerns nearer the time.

kfc - I was thinking to you watching the cycling on tv last sunday, the pros definitely had it easier than the masses.  I'd say set off at 3:20 pace but if you are feeling it at all by 10 to 13 miles then back off.

• Options

Thanks for the birthday wishes,  I got some cycling gear but the Castelli top had to go back for exchange as the medium was way too tight (Italian sizing must be different to ours). Had a good weekend in Snowdonia, did n't climb up Snowdon as we had the dog with us but lots of walking around the amazing landscape.

I've had a week off running and my Achilles is much better so going to attempt a run tomorrow.

• Options

Hi kfc, Like Barry says, I would go for the 3:20 pace and I think by mile 15 you will know whether or not to pull back.

Hi Barry, Good luck with the run tomorrow, Italian sizes are usually on the small side, that is why I like them image

16 miles from me this morning, very windy! Averaged 7:53mm which was about right mainly. I think I will have to get back into the cold baths again image. Physio visit tomorrow, having a bit of trouble with the top of the right glute at the moment, which usually starts when I up the mileage. Fine when I am running. I have been working the spikey ball in the area, must see if the physio can work her wonders  !

• Options

hi all,

nice 16 there Nell, hope the fizz sorts your glute.

Barry, sounds like you had a nice birthday weekend. hope your achilles is ok tomorrow.

K.f.c - i'm not much good for advice, but as the others have said start at 3:20 pace + see how you feel?

• Options

thanks for the advice re the 10km, don't think it will sell out so will wait to closer the time to book it if niggle free.

18 miles 'progressive' yesterday, i use the term progressive loosely, but the last 6 miles were faster than the first 12. sports massage booked for tomorrow to iron out any niggles.

• Options
    FreemersFreemers ✭✭✭
    Great mileage kiwi. And I'd agree with the others, a 10k 2 weeks out sounds like a good idea.

kfc - that sounds like a great marathon to do. I'd also go out at 3.20 pace and see what happens image

Nell - nice 16, good pace too in that wind.

Windy on my run too yesterday - 12 miles, but I surprised myself with my pace - averaged 8.03, but it was progressive, and they were all sub 8's after about mile 5 or so. The last one was 7.28. Not sure where that came from but it felt good!
  • Options
    kfc.kfc. ✭✭✭

Thanks for the 'advice' you lot - so I'm to go out harder than i probably should, and 'adjust my pace' after 15 miles if its too fast...  That'll be easy! image   Have any of you actually done a marathon before??!!?? image  image

OK, I know you know I was going to ignore the advice anyway and go for 3.20 pace, but thats not the point!!!

• Options
    kfc. wrote (see)

Thanks for the 'advice' you lot - so I'm to go out harder than i probably should, and 'adjust my pace' after 15 miles if its too fast...  That'll be easy! image   Have any of you actually done a marathon before??!!?? image  image

kfc - ... Never run a "sensible" marathon, no!

Therefore, i suggest sub 3.00 pace and blow up spectacularly at 21!image

8.7 shite miles from me yesterday. Was supposed to be 12 but felt rubbish/painful from the off! image

• Options

Just a quick hi to all!

Oompa - glad to see you back in action, awesome news!  We should arrange a meet up at a ykw sometime!

So, 2 months to Abo - the speed has returned but the endurance is missing.  At least I know what I need to work on!

Barry - how's the swimming?  I had a bit of break through last week, all of a sudden the breathing seemed to click (switched to breathing every right hand stroke) and banged out 6 lengths?!?!?!  Now if only I could breathe on the left too image

• Options

Oompa - Too much too soon? Must have been a bad day for running yesterday, see below.

Cooks - Similar to you, managed 6 lengths last week and 4 x 4 length with 1 min rest this morning, still breathing to the right every 2 but trying to sort out my left breathing.

Freemers - Very positive run.

kiwi - well done on the 18 miles.

40 mins on the treadmill yesterday and all OK during but right Achilles went tight/sore after I'd finished and I was limping this morning, not as bad as last week but I think a few more days of no running required, normal marathon training for me so used to it by now and will swim for the next few days. Swimming not great for first half hour this morning then went pretty well for the last 30 mins,  do they allow a 30 minute warm up before a pool tri?image

• Options

Hi kiwi, Well done on the 18. getting stronger towards the end is good?

Hi Freemers, Good news on the run, sounds very positive. image

Hi kfc, I think you have to try for the pace you want, I think you will know in yourself if things aren't going to pan and can scale down. Remember who you are asking advice from, runners not physios or coaches..we always just say go for it image

Hi Oompa, Not so good on the run, at least you bailed out in time. Hopefully not too big a set back.

Hi Cooks, Glad to hear things are going well ;0)

Hi Barry, Not good news on the Archilles. Maybe try running on grass next time and not so long? Grass should be a softer land and it might spread round the work on the muscles a bit better? If that makes senseimage

Easy 4 from me yesterday at about 8:13 mm, Intervals today. Warm up 2 miles, 4x1.5 miles @ Goal MP-10 seconds/mile  with 400m jog in between, cool down 1.5 miles

Interval Splits: 10:15, 10:23, 10:07, 10:16

Overall, 10.5 miles, realised after that the recoveries should have bee 800m...oopsimage

• Options

hi guys,

KFC - lol, that our advice was a bit rubbish, we just knew you'd go out at 3:20 pace anywayimage have you shifted that cold?

Freemers - cracking pace, must have been a real boost, looking good in the lead up to Norwich for you image

Oompa - I'm with you on the shit run camp image maybe ease back a little?

hi Cooks, nice to see you pop by, only 2 months till Abo, eek, coming round a bit too quick for my liking!

Barry - hope your achilles comes right, injurirs are so bloody frustrating!

Nell - nice intervals espec on half the recovery!

so having a wobble here - tried the rowing machine after pilates ystrday as had time to kill before my sports massage. this morn knee was swollen, left on intended run cutting 800s back to 5 sets instead of 7, did 7.5 miles total. knee was ok running but am feeling frustrated that it can still cause a problem + wondering how the hell i'm going to get round a marathon if it flares up, gah, so frustrating image

• Options

Kiwi - Definitely ease back and hopefully, as you say, it's just a wobble. I'm going to try to swim as much as possible this week, although i'm tempted to do my club's speedwork (sic) session this evening with Iron Lady! image

Cooks - Good to hear from you. If i start the ykw the previous Saturday, i might have a chance of beating you!image

Barry - Take it easy with that achilles! I've never suffered from achilles problems but would've thought that whilst running on grass is softer, the uneven nature of the surface may hurt it more (unless you run around a cricket pitch)? Have you tried aquarunning? Look a toolimage but works a treat!image

Nell - 1.5 mile intervals with 400m recoveries...image Well done!

• Options

Hi kiwi, Bad news on the knee. Remember, Ice is our friend. get the ice pack onimage

Hi Oompa, yes I will take a closer look at the plan next time, I thought the intervals were a bit more full on than expected image

Woman down from us was well into the aqua running after an injury. I agree don't try it on a Saturday afternoon! My reasoning on the grass is that it will be softer and yes there may be a bit more of an uneven landing but thought that might spread the work over the muscles? Keeping in mind it should be a short easy run. Mind you that is coming from someone who loses the will to live after 1 km on the treddie!

6 miles this morning at about 7:45mm give or take a few secs. Cold this week, although it has been dry....

• Options

Nell -  Good running on the repeats,  those sets are hard but I think more relevant to marathon training than shorter stuff. 

kiwi - Be careful , your running/mileage is coming back very well.

Oompa/Nell  - Thanks for the advice, I thought running on the treadmill would provide a bit more cushioning, I don't look great in the pool at best of times.image

Another breakthrough at swimming this morning  8 lengths continuous image and a few lengths bilateral breathing,  getting there with the left breathing but still managed a few mouthfuls of water.

• Options

Hi guys,

Oompa - did you do your club speed session?

is a bit colder at nights/in the mornings now. Nell nice running again.

Yay, for a break through in the swimming Barry image

So being very sensible and not running till the knee swelling is completely gone (hopefully by the weekend!), cancelled my circuits booking for tonight too. It's not sore, just puffy - so icing and resting. If I was actually following P&D this week is a cut back week anyway. Still plan to cycle to the gym on Friday for the Legs, bums, tums and Pilates double session image

• Options
    FreemersFreemers ✭✭✭
    Barry - my OH keeps banging on at me not to use the treddie when I have injuries, as it means each step is exactly the same, so if you have a problem with your achilles it just goes over the same problem with each step. Better to run on uneven ground like grass - it'll hurt more initially I expect but better in the long run. Mind you I rarely take his advice myself, but there is some logic in it!

Kiwi - hope the knee settles down soon

Nell - great reps

I was on 800m intervals yesterday. Only 6 of them but I'm more keen to get some speed back rather than do loads of them. Times were ranging from 3.25 down to 3.12...so getting there image
  • Options

Kiwi - Well, it's like this... It started raining and erm, i had to pick up my son from footy practice and er... OK, I ADMIT IT... I DIDN'T DO IT BECAUSE IRON LADY IS SCARY! image  5 miles on the dready @ 8.41 and (whispers it) it felt GOOD!

Nell - I wasn't dismissing your advice, just trying to stop Barry from possibly making it worse.

Barry - You're not trying hard enough if you don't swallow half the pool.image

Free - Nice intervals.image

• Options
    kfc.kfc. ✭✭✭

Kiwi - thats good its coming back down.  You have built up quite quickly to some much longer long runs recently - maybe you should hold back on the runs over 10 miles a bit and concentrate on getting 3 quality sessions in each week?

Quick check in from me - its been an extreme taper cos I'm only just starting to shift this cold - at least my legs should be fresh right?  I'm away now and should be able to check in again on Wednesday to let you know how I got on!  I'll try not to be shit, but I've got a feeling its inevitable!

• Options

morning, 

just to say Good luck KFC!! Think of fresh legs powering you through, enjoy Reikeivik (no idea how to spell that!!)

nice intervals Freemers.

Oompa - lol, you - scared of a ladyimage

wise words KFC, am resting and icing. also decided to leave breaking in my custom orthotics till post mara, got up to 5 miles in them but now wonder if that has contributed to the knee going (even though i wore them a bit at a time as instructed!)

Have a good time KFC!!!

• Options

kfc - good luck and enjoy, lava flows make you run faster?image

Freemers - nice speed on  your 800s.

kiwi -  The right decision, a couple of days break from running won't hurt, that's what I keep telling myself.

oompa - a relief  that the tready run was pain free.

An hour in the pool this morning, Achilles feeling much better but going to wait a few more days before running.

• Options

kfc - Good luck.

Started the Kinetic Revolution 30 day challenge last night, which was stretching the hip flexors, hammies and adductors. Couldn't do the adductors stretch as i would've ended up with two dislocated kneecaps, but feel good after doing the first two. image

Let's see what day 2 brings?

• Options

Hi kiwi, Hope the icing does the trick ;0)

Hi Freemers, You're explanation on the treddie was better than mine, that is what I was trying to get to and failed. Great reps on the 800's you must be feeling good now?

Hi Oompa, No offence taken, I am dismissed regularly in my household, is that lady really that scary? image Glad the run was good on the treddie ...

Hi kfc, Positive thoughts now. If you think you are beaten, you are.

Hi Barry, Good news on the swim lengths, fingers crossed on the Achilles.

MP/Tempo run this morning. Cold and wet today. 2 mile warm up and then 7 miles at MP, splits: 7:08,7:03, 7:11, 7:04, 7:05, 7:05, 7:05. Then 1.5 miles cool down. Boy that did feel hard this morning, not sure whether this is the cumulative fatigue strategy kicking in, I also need to have a look at when I perform my S&C work as I had a session yesterday which I think I could probably feel in the legs today.

Rest day tomorrow...phew!

• Options

Kiwi & Nell - To clarify, our club has an ex-IM Kona world champs athlete who's IM pb is around 9hrs 25mins!image She's not scary, but what she gets us to do IS!!!!!!!image

• Options
    PinkladyPinklady ✭✭✭

KFC Good luck

Oompa nice photo

Been awol for a few days as not much to report running wise. Had a great time in Snowdonia then onto Blackpool. Went for a run along the seafront really windy but I continued on. That was the last time I have ran this week. Swam most mornings & it's been great to see Barry's progress, he will be catching up with me very soon i'm sure image

Decided not to run Bristol HM as I don't think that I can do it. image Going to concentrate on getting out there again & building back up to aim for the Wokingham HM next year as I already have a place. Have new trainer's as well which should be an incentive.

Great to see that some of you are out there training

• Options
    chickstachicksta ✭✭✭

Best of luck, kfc!

Sorry been awol - lots to do at work image and even worse: injured image. Achilles has started to play up. No idea why. I never had achilles probs as a runner. Only ever as a competitive gymnast in my youth image. Guess it must be my turn now. Doing lots of heel raises and using some anti-inflammatories. Hopefully it settles again. It's not that bad but I feel it for the first 10-15 mins of a run. Then it goes away. But comes back again when I stop running. Bah Humbug image

• Options
    2Old2Old ✭✭✭
    Brief visit- internet not good here

Good luck KFC

Barry hope the Achilles is ok

Kiwi- better back off a bit. Hope it's only a niggle

Chick- ouch not another Achilles sufferer . Sadly I'm in that club too. Don't be impatient at this stage as once it sets in its a sod

to get rid of

Have struggled with my Achilles for the last 2 weeks so little running. I think the hills and beach running on the back of my previous tight sore calf is responsible . Going to try a short run tomorrow. In the meantime done some swims - 1.6 miles today in a small pool-330 lengths!