Options

RW Forum Six - Sub 5.30

Comments

• Options

hahahaha - I'm sure you didn't really Spence - I've probably mistaken you for that DL! imageimage

<passes over mini toblerones and All Gold Dark>

• Options

Evening All

TAken advantage of a change of scene and some time off at Mummy Podds to do a little training in preparation for "that event"

Did the full length swim for the first time in my life ever image quite pleased overall and did learn a few things to mull over image

Also done 3 short (and I really do mean short!) runs although 2 of the 3 were supposed to be longer ones!! image - final "away run" tomorrow and hoping to make it a little longer than we've done so far...

Turkey Soup Dragon wrote (see)

I've been good - 25 miles on the bike yesterday in 1hr 50 which wasn't bad considering the head wind, the hills and a heavy head.  30mins on the turbo today followed by a swim. 

Great going Soupy image

Are you setting yourself any targets timewise for the individual parts? I haven't been on the bike for nearly 2 weeks now which is potentially a major mistake but situation just won't permit it so need to get myself organised soon image

Spence wrote (see)

oh dear, did I really moan a lot? image

imageimage
  • Options

Wow Podds - the full length swim, all 3.8k?? <bows down>  Well done. Most I've ever done is 2k and I could only do that in a wettie, not in a pool. I think 1k is as much as I've ever done in a pool but I somehow thing thats going to have to change, although concentrating on technique for the next month so as not to imprint more bad form. I get bored in the pool and its too easy to stop.  Can't do that in the middle of a lake. Specially with Dustboy nagging me (bless, he nags as much in the water as he does on the bike). image

No real targets for time, just to get round.  I don't want to get too stressed about time or speed. I sort of think 8 hours for the bike, 1:45 swim and 6+ for the run but its no more than a guess. I'm  doing the training to heart rate and seeing what happens.

• Options
    SpenceSpence ✭✭✭
    Oh dear, sorry if I moaned a lot......still got me results didn't it image  image image
  • Options

Happy New Year to one and all.  Here's hoping for a great year of racing and pbs. image

Got back for the Yorkshire Dales last night where it rained non stop.  Glorious sunshine today in London so I'm off for a run round Richmond Park.

• Options
    SpenceSpence ✭✭✭
    Hope you had a good run Soupy image I did 10 on Saturday, they were slow and very sluggish image Can't think why!! image
  • Options
    I did a great run today Spence.  Kept to a low heart rate, enjoyed the run and didn't need a snooze afterwards. Going to run home from work tomorrow.  Back to part time so 2.30 finish yippee!!  I'm planning on 15 to 20mins on the turbo before biking in too. I think some brisk hiking in the hills has helped my running a bit.  Might do some LDWA events this year.
  • Options
    Wow Soupy - you are a veritable training machine! I'm so impressed with your training so far and your positive outlook. I shall be reminding you of this when you are having doubtful moments - not that you will, of course!! I seem to struggle to get in here, so do feel free to email/text/FB me if you think I'm being tardy!
  • Options
    SpenceSpence ✭✭✭

well done Soupyimage

4 miles for me today in the pouring rain and wind!!

Gotta count as double surely !!? image

• Options

Well done Spence.  

I wimped out - not much of a machine hahahaha.   I drove to work and did a long swim afterwards.  Didn't fancy biking in that wind so swapped my days round - swimming should have been yesterday rather than a run anyway.  Bike and run tomorrow instead.  Could have still done a run I suppose. Or a turbo session come to that.  Oh dear, machine seems to have malfunctioned. image

• Options

I still have no face!

I ran yesterday but forgot to turbo. Don't ask how I managed to forget!! I jsut did the 2.5k swim and it definitely was not pretty!!

Think I've malfunctioned....

• Options

"just" a 2.5k swim she says.

I did a bike this morning to work with 10 mins on the turbo before hopping on the hybrid then just ran home.  Couldn't keep my heart rate down on the run and feeling snuffly like I'm getting a bit of a cold. 5 miles took me 70 mins which is slow even by my standards.  But I did it. image

For some reason I'm not really moaning about training.  I've just taken it as a fact of life that I either swim, bike, or run in various combinations. When the distances start increasing I think I might think differently.  I do confess though to sometimes wondering why I'm doing this and perhaps I should take the easy option and "just" do a couple of marathons this year (a lovely word "just" isn't it?).   I tell myself that I've jumped on a bandwaggon, that if I'd never heard of Pirates I wouldn't even think of doing Ironman and its the most stupid thing in the world to be aiming for.  So I think okay, I'll just do running but I want to be a better swimmer so I'll stick to doing that for fun, and I enjoy biking so I want to be able to do some longer rides as well - which brings me right back to IM training!  And I know if I read about people crossing the finish line at Outlaw  I'll be gutted if I don't even try and I'll always wonder what if?  I know I want to do it but it scares me and my brain is going in to self-protect mode.  Think I need to train my mind as well as my body if I'm going to finish this thing.

• Options

Soupy

You are doing brilliantly and with the increased time you'll have from going back to part time plus the lengthening days and (hopefully) improving weather you will easily manage to fit in all the plan and everyone says that the plan does work and will get you round.............

People like you and me are not likely to be challenging the podium positions but the way I look at it is (or try to in my more positive moments!):

"the harder the journey the more worthwhile the reward"........

I know my journey will be very hard:
    - full time job
    - 3 dogs
    - middle aged
    - 1st ironman
    - overweight
    and dog only knows what else!

But as you say I know how much I would regret not trying...........all too often in my life I've wimped out of things - mainly for stupid reasons - some big things some little things - but I have never failed to regret each one..........

Now I know for a fact that at least 3 of my "negatives" don't apply to you and I also know that your cycling has come on leaps and bounds (by your own admission and Dustboy's appraisal), you've been enjoying your swim technique stuff, you are an experienced runner and you have the chance to train with other pie-rights who will give you all the advice and support you could possibly want.........

..........so in summary

YOU WILL DO GREAT GIRL! image

And so endeth the sermon for today image

• Options

Thanks Podds - yep we have to trust that the schedule works, not to mention Pirate Power.  I am lucky to have the time to train and to have so much help and support. I remember when I was wibbling about the Vit the first time, to the extent that I withdrew from the race then promptly burst into tears and had to email them back to say I wanted to stay in the race. image  I felt totally fantastic when I finished it (and then cried all over Schmunks at the finish line) so I'm sure Outlaw will be a million times more emotional. 

Bring it on! image  Brain shut up!! image 

• Options

I think Podds has put it very well there. None of us find it easy - even the super duper fast peeps. If it was, it wouldn't be an Ironman, would it?

Also, I wouldn't worry that your brain has gone into self protect mode - if that works for your brain, go with it. My opinion is that completing is a 70 - 30 mix; with the 30 being the physical and the 70 being the mental. Anyone CAN do it, if they have the right attitude. And you guys do.

• Options

A 30 min swim and an hour on the turbo today.  And my pirate kit arrived. image A biking jacket and top which thankfully fit perfect. So thats it, got to do it now.

I'm challenging my (false) doubts now so I've got answers and strength when the hard sessions come. I'll be at that start line no matter what. I've re-read what Fink says about when mental strength dips in training and remembering the feeling and how to overcome it.  I'm sure on race day there will be plenty of dips and peaks to find my way through.

• Options
    You will. And we'll all be there together.
  • Options
    DLDL ✭✭✭
    <peeks in>

Sorry not been around - w*rk has kind of taken over - travelling silly distances every week and being a bit miserable. Haven't plodded properly for ages so reading about your ironman efforts puts me to shame. Sounds like lots of good swimbling, cycling and plodding is going on - hoorah and falderee

Have started back on the old marathon training schedule as due back in London in April - if anyone has a bit of spare mojo please send it my way!

Anyway - as you were
  • Options
    Hi DL - do pop in as and when - life is a pain when it gets too busy, sometimes!
  • Options

Waves excitedly to DL image  Good to hear from you. Plenty of mojo here.  Well sometimes anyway. image I missed my planned run and swim yesterday but I blame the fire alarms sounding at the gym and everyone stood outside freezing to death when I got there, so I moved on but still didn't run for some reason - my planned route had been foiled and couldn't get my head round a different one.  But a 5 mile plod just banked now and bike tomorrow. 

Podds - Next Sunday is a Dustboy ride near Camberley (I think). 30 to 40 miles with only gentle hills, mainly flat.  I know its a long way for you but would be nice if you could join us.

• Options
    SpenceSpence ✭✭✭
    DL is doing Ashby with us image image  imageimageimage
  • Options

*delurks*

Good to see Soupy doing oodles of training (some of the time!) I had a rough long run last weekend - longest so far and it was just awful, but today's was far better and I'm feeling the love again.

I'm doing Ashby as well, so will look out for Spence & DL there. Do you know if we get numbers in advance for that one? as I'll never recognise either of you from your pictures! unless a dog in a red hat really runs races image

*goes back to lurking*

• Options

*delurks* 

Soup Dragon  wrote (see)

I felt totally fantastic when I finished it (and then cried all over Schmunks at the finish line) so I'm sure Outlaw will be a million times more emotional.   

And I will have the shoulder ready at Outlaw for you too, Soups image

*relurks*

• Options
    SpenceSpence ✭✭✭

Helen, yes they send numbers out. Far Far is coming too image XB can't get a day pass image

It's pizza at Ask after image

What kinda time are you hoping for?

• Options

oh, pizza?! image Might have to get the pass out signed for a bit longer, in that case! image Will let you know. Something in the low 4 hr mark would be magic. 

• Options
    SpenceSpence ✭✭✭
    We did 3:49 last year run/walk, most welcome to join us image
  • Options
    DLDL ✭✭✭

Can I go straight for the pizza avoiding the 20 miles bit?????

• Options
    SpenceSpence ✭✭✭

What?  image

Miss 3 hours and 49 wonderful minutes of our company!!?? image

It's such a good job we know you'rejoking !!! image

• Options
    DLDL ✭✭✭
    Never has an incentive to run faster been as as attractive
  • Options
    SpenceSpence ✭✭✭
    Thought you might say that !! image