Options

Training for a shorter Tri

Comments

• Options

Oh no, MC, prescription food for a cold is chicken soup I believe.

• Options

yeah, home made chicken soup for me tonight, and it is OH's favourite meal, he would have it every night if he could!

• Options

Chin up MC!

I need to get some more batteries for the scales to see how I've been since Christmas.

Lunchtime brick. R/B/R/B/R. Each run was 2km and the bike about 6.5km.Good tune up for the upcoming duathlon. Rode the road bike rather than the tri bike, but did use my spangly new carbon tri shoes. Much easier to get feet in to whilst moving.

Need to work out when to run tomorrow as off to Germany for work.

• Options

I have a Duathlon to do it seems, I had emailed the organisers to pull out, after my chest infection, but it appears they didnot get it and my neighbours are entered for it have convinced me that I should do it, even if I am not quick at the run bits. So I have a short term target of running 4k non stop, cycle 24k then another 4k by the end of March.

• Options

Sounds excellent training Cat. Well done on the discipline to manage that!

MC - yummy, chicken soup. Sorry you are feeling rotten though.

Steady - apple crumble is one of my favourites too

14 miles on the bike for me today. Was going to do a 5 mile run this eve, but have a mega busy week and am trying not to get stressed and anxious about it so decided not to go.

• Options

well done on the brick cat 

steady - be careful with the running it you aren't up to it, but think of the duathlon as a bit of fun

can't go to bed till my 8 year old is home from cubs and tucked in! then I will getting to sleep nice and early

• Options

Fankyew! On the second run I almost turned around halfway out but thought I should just man up.

Steady - end of March is plenty of time to get up to 4km twice. Don't go out too fast on the first run and the second always hurts image Where is the du (you've probably told me already...)?

A nice bike there Chili.

Maths - you sound like Mrs Cat and I. We both had stag/hen dos at the weekend, then the kids went to a party Sunday afternoon. We both went back to bed. image

• Options

IronCat my Du is the Portsmouth Triathletes one held at Goodwood Motor Racing Circuit.

Quick question should I wear my pirate cycle jacket to the TRI show at Esher or would that just be too show offy. It needs an outing as I havenot ridden outside yet, plus it is very bright and noticeable.

• Options

Absolutely you should! image

• Options

Hey peeps, I feel your pain Maths been laid up for 2 weeks with the lurgy. Not been able to do anything. Take it easy and don't push yourself too hard. 
    Bloomin eck Cat, lunchtime Brick - that's some top work.
    Steady - sure you'll beast the Duathlon!
    Well done with the HM Razor, you must be properly chuffed! 
    Nice biking Chilli....

Have managed to gently get back into the swing of things. Hoping nothing puts the mockers on it!

• Options

Hi MrsD *waves*

Just swam 1 mile (64 lengths) in 43 mins. Not particularly fast but will get me within the cutoff no problem.

• Options
    Steady.... Me and Horse wore out pirate bike jackets to the Tri and bike show in Manchester, just do itimage
  • Options
    I did too - it made me feel a lot fitter than I am!!!
  • Options

I may go to the Tri show Sunday after all. In my Pirate jacket, natch!

• Options

Had planned a long bike ride today but work and children just seem to keep getting in the way! *sigh* Managed just 12 miles but I guess something is better than nothing.

• Options

Chili, thats better than me, I decided that after ice,foam rollering, stretching, massage and wearing calf guards, that my sore shin would not appreciate running today, so I didn't.

I will go to the Tri show on Saturday.

• Options

I know the feeling Chili! You always manage to get out on the bike though, very impressive.

Yesterday I thought I'd run in the evening rather than the morning. I took the kids to work whilst Mrs Cat spruced the house for a viewing before she left for work. The viewer was late and arrived as I was rushing out the door for the airport. Quickly showed her around then dashed to meet the flight to find it delayed. Then we sat on the plane for 40 minutes whilst they decided the plane couldn't take off due to a fault. Hohum, BA found a replacement plane and I made it to my German hotel a couple of hours late. No run.

Tonight I turbo'd for 20 min did a 2km brick. Must roller tonight.

• Options

Such is life!

Cat - I'm only doing a half but apparently it is still all about the bike. And that really is my weakest discipline so I'm trying to cycle 3 times a week and if I have to drop a session will drop a run in order to get my bike miles in. Am hoping to get up to 30 mile ride next week, so they are creeping up slowly. But since I am soooo slow (which is partly cos I'm terrified of roads) the rides require a very long time.

Take care of your legs Steady... they are awful important in the world of tri image

• Options

legs are just important, tri or not

I have a date for my mri - Sunday 10th march at 7:15 at night - weirdimage

• Options

Mathschick, sounds like you have an efficient hospital making the most of an expensive to buy and install scanner. The top UK hospitals all use CT and MRI scanners at least 8am to 8pm 5 days a week many with even longer hours and weekends.

• Options

I think it is mobile scanner - funny because someone from the tri club said her husband had a scan on a Sunday night, must be time when they come to the local hopsital, and she said it was in the back of a truck. 

However, the hospital trust has been severely criticised over the cost of a new hospital it built and is also on the list of trusts with high death rates, although obviously there can be all kinds of reasons for that

anyway, a sunday scan means I don't have to time off work so that is good

• Options

Most hospitals use mobile MRI scanners, they are very very expensive and the regular scan is a CT one, which is used very frequently so all hospitals will have one. MRI's show up soft tissue ie muscles etc better. I know of private hospitals also using a mobile scanner. They are the same large size lorry as the mobile breast screening units.

• Options

should be an interesting experience - I hope I get to see the images!

• Options

I would like to see mine if I had it done. My Xrays from my broken wrist were pretty awesome, even I could count 3 out of the 4 breaks.
    I need an expert to point out the finer details on scans, it has always amazed me how all the body is squeezed in such a small compact space but works OK. Part of my job involves reading the text reports that go with the scans.

• Options

It is all about the bike, until you get off and have to run. Then it's about the run.image You'll be fine Chili.

Hope the MRI helps MC. I was amazed t'other year when I had an x-ray and they showed me the images directly afterwards. None of this waiting for days thing!

• Options

I always think X-rays look so fun. My Smidge shut her fingers in the car door last year and they were very squashed so she had her hand x-rayed. The lovely nurse printed her a paper copy to take into school the next day to show all her class mates. They weren't broken by the way, just bruised.

Pilates class today and then 1 mile run with one of my teenagers this evening before youth group started.

• Options
    mikasamikasa ✭✭✭

Ok, so I just want to give up!

Had a good start to the week.
    Monday lunch - run, evening - vb training with fitness
    Tuesday - Shred dvd
    Wednesday  lunch - run, evening - vb disaster!

Had warmed up by running about 5mins and then our coach wanted us to do a stupid deep squat jumping exercise (so keeping in the deep squat position the whole way) that was also against the other team. It was 5x 9m, plus involved normal jumping too. Well, I'm competitive so went all out (and we did win, what a small consolation) but after the last one, I just felt my quads go, totally seize up. Is that called a strain? Anyway, couldn't do anything were my legs needed to be bent after that. I tried to keep moving and stretching but probably should've gone straight home.

When I got home, I had a freezing cold bath for about 15mins. Next morning legs felt better but still bloody battered. However, by lunch time at work, they'd seized up and I couldn't walk properly and going down stairs was a nightmare. Didn't have another cold bath but sprayed some cold spray and just rested.Oh, I did have a hot bath as well just to relax the muscles. Well,that didn't help, they are worse today than they were yesterday. What should i do? Should I keep treating them with cold? It's an absolute nightmare. I was supposed to have a match tomorrow that I can't do now and one on Sunday which is unsure until I can get control of my quads again. imageimageimage

• Options
    SteadyCJSteadyCJ ✭✭✭

Ouch Mikasa, thats sounds as bad as my first spinning class when my quads went solid. I would definitely rest and not try to do the match on Sunday, it took me about a week to recover. Keep icing and stretch as much as it will allow. If you ever wanted to know how your legs might feel after a marathon, now you know. I even took a lift just for one floor to avoid any stairs, but did short frequent gentle walks.