Options

Loch Ness Marathon 2012

Comments

• Options

submitted before I finished!

6 more long runs to go for me - last one on 9th September. Its getting close now after training since January. Recovered really well after 20 miles yesterday which is a great indicator I think.

Happy training !!

• Options

20 miles at the weekend and tried out some shot bloks on the way.  They were pretty horrible and a real mouth full but after a bit of liquid all was well.

I've never run this far before so just polling you experienced runners, how much of a slow down am I likely to see in the last 6 miles?  I managed 20 in (just) under 3hr, but I'm guessing that doesn't mean I can hope for a sub4hr 26.2, I want to manage my expectations but also set a challenge to prevent melt down!!

• Options

Hi Heather that's such a difficult one to answer.

The only thing I would say is that if you  are already doing 20 miles in 3 hours you are on the right track.  A good indicator is how you feel at the end of the long runs. If you feel like you could carry on then that shows you have not reached your limit yet.

Just keep taking your time and build up the miles, that will give you the best chance of not slowing too much - you will slo/w down, it is very difficult to do do negative splits.

Happy training!!

• Options

Hi John, sounds like all is on track for you. I have been advised that adding more intervals and hill traning is what is required now to get that time down. What are your thoughts. Seems like we are both going for that magic sub 4.

• Options

Hi MSTH. Training going better than ever, I don't think I will beat 4 hours though. 4.22 is my target - another 20 miles at the weekend for me. 3.09 was too quick last week as I was knackered at the end so I need to ease off a little bit.

Hill and speed training for me this week - felt really strong.

I still think the hill at 17 miles will decide how we all do so plenty of hill training required

Happy training!!

• Options
    Hey team! Race pack came through and I'm runner 1770! Got a 14miler today to do and that's 2 miles longer than last weeks long run so I'm a little aprehensive - managed to sort out my calf with some stretches in the steamroom so hoping it was just a tighty not a pull!

I'll let you all know my slow slow time later just so in the marathon when they start to dismantle the course u can all think 'Scottish Nocturnal Bear still has a couple of hours still to run!'

Happy training
  • Options

Just doing some catch up on here Injured since I completed the Hadrian's Wall run in June but expect to start running again before end of August, so some real catching up to do, need a few miles under my belt and probably lose about 8 pounds

John Owens and Heather - I would say if you're doing 20 miles in 3:00 to 3:09,  on the day you're in with a real chance of a sub 4, and JO you'll smash 4:22, I never did faster than 18 in 3:00 hrs and have managed 4:30.

• Options
    3hrs 13mins for 14.5 miles ... The heat killed me today! Sitting in my ice bath just now to hopefully let me walk tomorrow - marathon time isn't looking promising at all
  • Options

From now to the end of September I'm concentrating on weight loss. Ran 4:24 at Edinburgh weighing 12 stone. Used to run a 1:50 half at 10 stone 7lbs. If I could lose even half the excess flubber I'm sure I'd be able to go a fair bit faster...

Got another marathon, a half and an ultra before Loch Ness so if I can just keep away from the sweeties and the vino I should be able to shed some poundage!

• Options

EG Graham - I think you are probably right. I'm just trying to make sure I don't go out mad on the day. I would love to get near 4 hours, never done it before but I have never trained this well before so it's a bit strange doing 20 miles in 3.09. I have done 3 halfs in 1.48 this year which has spurred me on to train for the marathon again so I have trained for quite a long time at a good rate.

Another 20 miler in the morning - if I can do 3.09 again I will be made up.

SNB congrats on your run today - it has been very hot here too. I hope its a bit cooler in the morning. Ice baths are you mad! I've tried cold baths but got out within 5 seconds!!

Happy training!!

• Options

Hi everyone. Looks like training is going well. 

John- another 20 miler, well done you. Can't say I felt as fresh last week after the 21 miles, legs felt like lead all week. Are you only doing long runs of 20 now?

Scottish bear- How bout adding in a cross training session on the days you run. I found that really helped to get the milage up without the stress to the legs so ex 1 hour running and straight onto the bike for an hour making each workout total at least 2 hours.

Heather- did you do a long run again this weekend?

I did just 13 miles today with the last 2 miles as hill reps. Been a bad week here. My father had a heart attack on wed and although he is on the mend I just feel drained with worry. 17 miler at the weekend and then another 21 the week after.

• Options

MSTH - Pleased with my 20 miler this weekend -3.02 so well chuffed with that. Not sure whether I could do another 6 miles at that pace though! I have 5 more long runs in my plan, last one on 8/9 September - doing 3 weeks taper as I have been training for this for 7 months!! Plan says 3 more 20's and 2 22's. Weekly plan is fairly regular now with speed, hill and fitness training. Might change the long run plan though. might do 3 22's. Never run that far on a training run so will decide after the next 2 20's

Really sorry to hear about your dad being unwell - give him my regards

54 days to go - really looking forward to this. Trained as hard as ever so hopefully will be well prepared. 4.22 is my target, just want to make sure I don't hit the wall at 18-20 miles as I have done in the past.

Happy training!!

• Options
    MSTH - sorry to hear about your dads troubles, please pass on my wishes to him and for a speedy recovery!

I'm going to give cross training a go for my monday recovery run because my body struggles to get freely moving come the monday now the milage is up

7 miles tomorrow morning so going to try hit around the hour mark and hope I keep constant pace but time aint too important to me so just finish the distance will make me happy enuf

Happy Training
  • Options
    1 hour 10 for 7 miles legs don't seem to have much energy so going to have to look at how I can change my diet to help

Happy Training
  • Options

John- wow, that sounds like a lot of long runs. I bow down to you, Great time too, you will easily get within the 4 hours with that pace. Are you able to run the following day after your long runs? I struggle and use the spin bike instead.

SNB- I have found using a foam roller every night keeps me able to move the next day,except after the long run which needs a 24 hour recovery. Food wise I have just increased the protein in my diet and practically cut out all alcohol except for the evening after my long run. You doing really well.

My dad had a stent inserted yesterday so recovery for him looking good but the mental stress has really effected me physically and have struggled with the training load. Lots of early nights have been the answer. Hoping to do a 17 miler this sat again and have roped the children into helping me with hill work, one shouts at me from the top and one from the bottomimage

• Options

MSTH - It is a lot of long runs but I have always struggled with the enduarce element so I decided to try something different. I'll know in 53 days if its worked!! I don't run the day after my long run - I do some time on the spin bike too. The other thing I do is 5 minutes on the spin bike straight after the long run - mad I know but it works for me as I am usually fine the next day (barring the permanent aches and pains of course!!) One of my main problems is I am permanently hungry - I don't want to think about how mant calories a day I'm having, fortunately weight is fairly steady at 13st 7lb which is good for me as I am 6ft 3in!!

Hill training for me this morning mixed with a bit of speed and on the spin bike too. 50 mins altogether. Don't get any help from my daughter - mind you she is 26 with kids of her own to worry about - besides she thinks I'm mad doing another marathon at 54.

Good to hear your dad's on the mend.

Happy training!!

• Options

Trying to lose weight too quickly won't leave you enough energy to recover from trainig- make sure you get enough carbs in soon ater you finish, or your muscles won't repleninsh glycogen stores.

I'm back(gently) into trrainig after the ultra- it's amazing how some thing like that removes all "bounce" from your legs. Gonna do a hilly long run today after the end of the marathon on TV. Don't really care how far, aim is to be aout for about 2 hours. My plan has a specific "multiple marathon" plan, and it really doesn't do many long runs- just 1x 20 miler,2x 17 (presumably as you are already trained for endurance at the start)

• Options

Hi everyone. I'm doing Loch Ness too. Probably finishing much slower than you lot. I had a knee op 2.5 years ago and have really struggled to find my confidence. I'm finally getting my head straight but won't push myself really hard for fear of further injury. Anything under 4.30 and i'll be ecstatic, so grateful just to be out there again.

MSTH - glad your dads recovering well. I'm a cardiac nurse so can empathise with you.

• Options
    Run 16 miles today was a disaster! 3 hrs 15 it took but walked last mile(all uphill)! I guess I wasn't well enuf hydrated it was really humid up here! 10 miles still to go with 6 weeks training ahead of me ... Gotta admit I'm not vey hopefull of finishing this marathon in under 7 hours! image
  • Options

I am trying to use the pfizinger and douglas "8 weeks between marathons, multiple marathon" schedule, but it peaks aat 6 days per week, which I've never been able to cope with. I think I'll try to do 5 runs per week, but do 2 of them as an "out and back" commute to work on the same day, so I still get some days off. Feeling tired today after a mere 5 miler yesterday, and I've got a 15k scheduled for today -that's before the mile start to realy ramp up- not sure how easy it is to train like this while still in recovery phase from the previous race- kill or cure, I suspect!

SNB, if you can get round 16 miles with 6 weeks to go you WILL finish it. I think that for us slower runners, the LSR distances are a real challenge. I have read at least one book that says that trainig runs that take longer than 3hr 30 are probably counter productive, as you can't train the next few days. Perhaps just stick at 18 miles as your peak LSR?- I've done a marathon in 4:20 off only 2x 18 , so it can be done. You'll be fine. Also, instead of grinding to a halt at the end, could you build in walk breaks- you will probably walk during the race, and getting used to starting running again after a minutes walk at each drinks station ( I think the are every 3 miles ) is a good trick. Regular walk breaks like that don't slow you down much overall. Give it a try.

• Options

sounds like a good policy to me tricialitt. Had a much beeter LSR this monrbing - 20 miles in 3.10 - still felt tired at the end so still need to slow down a bit. Finished about 90 mins ago and apart from a bit of stifness fell fine. 5 mins on the exercise bike helps afterwards, Rest day tomorrow then gentle on Tuesday.

6 weeks to go. 3 weeks more training for me than a 3 week taper. Never tried this plan before - trying to beat 5 hours for the first time, if I can run sensibly I can do 4.30. Having said that finishing a marathon is a massive achievement however long you take - it's a very long way!!

Happy Traiining!!

• Options

JO- I think you are going to storm your target- I have gone 4:01 as best time for LN, and never trained as hard as you are-3:10 for a 20 miler is good, and with the number of those you are doing you will be well able to cope with the distance on race day- just be careful for the first 10 miles or so- it's the downhills that temp you to set off too fast, - and they are a killer on the legs- are you getting some hills into your LSR's?

• Options

Tricialitt - I do a two mile lap and their is one long hill in that, I then add on a 4 mile lap at 14 miles and there is a very big hill at mile 17 in that - that is tough but hopefully worth it. I'm also doing 2 hill training sessions in the week. Only 3 more long runs thank god and then the big one!! Never used this training plan before - won't know until the day if it suits me of course. Apart from the odd dodgy moment I have really enjoyed the training - found it much better training early morning, doesn't interfere with family life quite as much.

I intend to start off slowly - if I can get to the top of last big hill (18 miles) by about 3 hours that will be great. Anyway I should stop obsessing with it all!! 40 days to go and really looking forward to it. Hope your training is going well too, it does take over your life a bit doesn't it?

Happy training!!

• Options

40 DAYS, AGHHHHHHH.

ok will stop freaking out and concentrate on the fact there are only 3 more long runsimage

• Options

Yes- I tend to do most of it before work/ before OH is up and about- that gives me planty time, 'cos he's a VERY late riser!

• Options

Opposite way round in our house - I'm up early OH likes a lay in!! At least the 'normal' family life just goes on. 3 long runs to go is very scarey isn't it!!

Anyway some good news I have a new job!! Been looking for a bit so glad I have found something. Handed my notice in on Monday and today everybody where I work has been made redundant, can't believe how lucky I am. Gutted for my colleagues, lot's of tears and anger today, hopefuly they can all find new jobs quickly!! Not easy at the moment is it.

• Options

Just looking in, nice to see some familiar names again, tricialitt and others.  I'm giving Berlin a try this year to see if the lack of Dores-esque hills will let me beat my PB of 3:59 from Loch Ness 2011.  It'll always be my first marathon!  Good luck to all!

• Options

strunner - thats a great time - I'm aiming for 4.22. Is the hill at 17 miles as bad as it looks? Have you got any advice with regards to training or the run itself.

Just ordered some new running trainers - hopefully 5 weeks will give me plenty of time to break them in. They are the same make.model as now so shouldn't be too hard on my feet - he says!!

3 more long runs for me - 20 miles in the morning nioce and slowly (well if i can remeber not to run too fast)

Just taking a break from gardening - the heavens have just opened, not seen raindrops like that since I was in Singapore in 2006!!

Happy training!!

• Options

John Owens - thanks, I was delighted with it esp. considering I was expecting 4:00-4:30.  I think I did the first 8/9 miles too quickly so I struggled on the long miles from about 10-17; by the time I reached Dores I was really struggling.  Doubtless that affected how I ran on the hills, but they did seem to go on for a while after Dores.  Again, how much of that was psychological I don't know.  I actually found the whole course tough psychologically, esp with the lack of crowd support until you come into Inverness about mile 24.  That being said, I thought water and energy drinks stations were well organised and well spaced out.  There are a couple of hills early on actually that I wasn't expecting.  Nothing major but it's not all downhill to begin with.  In retrospect my advice, for what it's worth, would be to ease up a bit just before Dores to give yourself some fuel for the hills.  And really avoid the temptation to run faster than your normal marathon pace on the generally downhill opening miles... you'll pay for it later (as I did).  Once you get into Inverness you're just surprised to be running in civilisation again and this carries you on... try not to listen to the announcer too much at the finish line across the river... I remember hearing him say "if you were aiming for under 4 hours, you've done it".  That fairly gave me a push in the last mile or so! image

I was actually lucky to recover well from tendonitis last year and manage to turn up at the race at all.  Missed one long run and some shorter sessions because of it.  I've just picked up a hamstring injury in the past couple of days, just now, as well, and stupidly ran a 5 mile tempo on it on thursday, so God knows what kind of spanner in the works this is.  So my advice on that side, cliched as it is - listen to your body!

• Options

john- how was you LSR today? I managed 21 and felt great, like I could carry on for longer. I tried to slow to the 10m/m mark which was hard, I think a few miles were a little quicker, final time was 3.18. Managed to pull something in my knee 2 hours later whilst lifting my 6 year old daughter though !!

Nocternal Bear- How are you doing? Haven't heard from you in a while.

Strunner- some excellent advice there,looks like I had better add in some more hill training.