Options

Loch Ness Marathon 2012

Comments

• Options
    I was gonna ale a bike but am going by train now
  • Options
    Well I'm heading up alone too - just going to take in the atmosphere but willing to meet up with some fellow posters if you are meeting up somewhere
  • Options

Well I'm going by train and bringing my bike along image

I dont know anything about Inverness, never been there before. Furthest I've been is Loch Lomond and I absolutely loved it. If there are people who want to meet up, maybe at the registration place somewhere would be good? Could head out for drinks or something to eat afterwards?

• Options
    I must check on the bike then, I've an injury so will only really know if I'm running depending on how it feels the day before, I'll be there for the weekend so the bike will be good if I can take it with me.
  • Options

image what injury have you got?

• Options
    Adductor strain, had x rays initially for hip damage and some good some bad days
  • Options

EG Graham, oh no whats happened?

Would love to meet up but we fly in on the sat and home again afterwards on sundayimage.

Managed 3 miles tonight, pain free so will try 6 tomorrow. Ran out of sunshine so did my first night run in months.

• Options
    Trying a half on Sunday, kill or cure I guess
  • Options

I swear by arnica! And sports massage! Find a good therapist and you will be fine!

• Options
    What is arnica, not heard of it before
  • Options

Well... its a homeopathic remedy.

It's worked wonders for me. I had adductor strain only two weeks ago. Minor one but enough to affect so that I couldnt walk properly, let alone run.

My sister shoved some down my throat and the next day not only the strain but any tension that I had in my other adductors too were all gone.

It's like it was never there.

• Options

You can buy it from boots. 

• Options
    Can't hurt so will give it a go
  • Options

@EGGraham - lets us know how the Arnica works.  I've still got left IT band issue caused by not using my glutes muscles enough, I ran Guernsey last month it was slow but I managed to get around.

I'll be arriving on the Saturday, would be nice to meet up with other runners on Saturday.

• Options

Hya SSQ, hope you're well, I've still not ran much since my ill fated Isle of Man trip, I'll be doing the English Half Marathon on Sunday to test the water, we should arrange a meeting place, there seems to be a lot traveling up Saturday 

• Options

My last LSR was supposed to be this weekend, but family are staying, so I guess I'll have to go with what I've done already- did 17 miles last weekend, then 2 11 mile runs back-to-back tues evening/ weds am. Legs are in pieces, but no specific injusry, I think I'm going to ease back on the mileage now- a few days resting will do no harm, but it will be too late to squeeze in the displaced LSR once they've left- probably a good thing, as I do feel really tired. Will just do some faster stuff to "sharpen" up. The 40 miler was the "clyde stride"- from Glasgow to Lanark- I got lost, so did at least 41! can recommend it, more relaxed atmosphere than a marathon, somehow.

• Options

Hello everyone, just found this forum and it's made comforting reading. Feeling very nervous about the hills of LN now, I'm looking forwards to getting to Inverness and driving the course so I can see what I'm in store for!

I'm also going to be there for the weekend on my own, it would be great to meet some of you at registration on Saturday!

• Options
    Hey Tippy welcome! As I've said b4 I'm willing for a meet with new folks on the sat just let us know ure plans - I'm planning early registration on the sat then at least I can enjoy taking in the weekend of my first ever marathon
  • Options

I'll be arriving at 2ish and probably to registration around 4 when I can find my bearings

• Options

am so jealous your all meeting up. 

I managed 6 miles ok yesterday so will attempt 10 after work tomorrow and then aim for a 17 miler on tuesday and my last 20 miler on the 18th and then begin my taper.

My injury was IT band and the sports therapist did amazing things to it, just taking it easy this week to ease it back in.

Seem to be eating like I'm pregnant this month, can I put that down to the training? I may be a couple of stone heavier in 3 weeks if I continue!

• Options
    MSTH hopefully you can make it up to LN, having the chance to bump into you after all the discussions on here would make a plesant end to my 25weeks - as for the weight issdue I just destroyed a 14" pizza ... Does that count as carb loading?
  • Options

MSTH I know what you mean about eating - I am permanently hungry! I have already started my taper so I hope I don't put too much weight on.

Not sure about meeting up - travelling up on Friday afternoon so won't get there until late - registration on Saturday then I'm iin the hands of the spectators who are coming along to cheer me on and then carry me home as I won't be able to walk.

This is my fourth marathon and providing I beat my PB by 8 minutes it will be my last - love  the running, like the training but just takes up too much time. Back to the half marathon's after this (or at leat that is what the missus has told me!!)

Happy training!!

• Options

Good luck MSTH, hope your long runs go well. And John - know what you mean about the training taking up too much time. I always think half marathons are a really nice distance - still enough time to play around with pace, but not nearly as much pain. SNB - I've been reading through some of your posts (trying to find out what everyone thinks to the hills image) - well done on the amazing training progress!

I'm arriving on Friday night and will also probably register early on Saturday, just to make sure all's well. I have nothing else to do on the Saturday though, and it would be good to meet some like-minded nervous pre-marathoners image.

• Options

Tippytripper - main problem is the LSR - doing 20 miles on a Sunday means not much else get;s done for the rest of the day!! Running 10 miles is now a doddle so plenty of time to do other things.

Looking forward to the race day now - some steady training and lots of rest for me. Had a quieter week this week and most of the aches and pains have eased. Mind you put a couple of pounds on as I am still feeling hungry and I don't need much encouragement to eat!!

Happy training!!

• Options
    I'm the opposite I'm winding up after injury, ran precisely 6 miles in 10 weeks since my last ultra, should have miles in the bag but not too happy with it
  • Options

I've got one more LSR to do. I have, perhaps stupidly, entered the Bacchus Marathon this Sunday, to run as my LSR. It's going to be very hot and there will be wines to taste along the way so I'll be taking it very slowly (perhaps walking some of it). But I reckon the LNM should feel like a doddle after that!

• Options
    I have decided to take tricias advice and start my taper earlier than the plan said, still feeling effects from my 20 miles last week so going to do about 10ish tomorrow maybe a little more but totally depending on how I'm feeling after my work in the morning

I can definatly notice more excited posts now so it's obvious the Mara is much closer

Still looking forward to it

Happy training
  • Options

good for you SNB - I'm doing just 10 miles this weekend for my LSR - if I'm honest i am absolutely knackered so need to rest as much as possible. And yes I am excited and its not my first marathon! Each one is a new challenge and a new experience. Thats what makes them so compulsive.

Happy training !!

• Options

Hi all- as I mentioned before I'm being visited by family, so have so far had 3 big meals out, lots of drink, and just 7km of running this weekend- mind you, I decided to make it an interval session, so it MUST have done some good, plus lots of slow country walks- does that count as time on feet?

Next week is going to be hell on wheels at work, so my marathon build up is following it's usualt chaotic pattern- no wonder I struggle! Will travel up at last possible minute on the saturday- the last 2 years it's been a race against time to just make the number pick-up, so probably won't meet nyone again, but never mind- it's difficult to pick people out anyway on race day, I usually miss all the folk I'm looking out for.