Options

Cheshire Traithlon, May 22nd

Comments

• Options
    Another one bites the dust !!!!!!!!
  • Options

Yes Dave, we've already visited that sentiment image image

Cheers Cake, I manage to work my training quite well without it eating too much into my family time etc even when I've been training for a marathon, but this is a whole new kettle of fish.

I'm lucky that we have showers and a gym in work so I can run or cycle to work and change the distance/ route to suit my time constraints and when I need to take the car then I can still jump on the treadmill. I've not long got a turbo too so I can jump on that when I can't get out, although it's extremely mind numbing image

Unfortunately though I cannot swim to work!!!  So I find it hard to get in more than one session a week.

• Options
    So why isn't IMUK Bolton that good then Cake?
  • Options

Not done it myself but a few folks have conplained in the past about it. Best not to discuss on a internet forum they have a very err interesting view on engaging with the public. image

image Just had my times e-mailed to me. Oh dear that was bad sunday. image

• Options
    No worries, you can pm me. If I'm gonna spend near £400 and put all that time and effort in I want it to be a decent event.

So what are rough average times for swim bike run? I reckon I could maintain about 17/18 mph average over that distance on the bike but on a rolling course not with hills and my fastest marathon is 4:27 although it should have been 4 and if I don't get it this year I'll be peeved.
  • Options
    Right ho just off home and no working pc at the moment will message you when I get back into w**k tomorrow. I think Dave has done it so might be a better person to talk to. Just heard there are better ones.
  • Options

I'll jot down a few thoughts for you tomorrow...

I have to admit tho I did it last year on the basis of low travelling cost.

I live in Chester and was able to travel home straight after, With the amount of sleep we got (the wife was marshaling) in the Premier Inn (Leigh, Don't believe Lenny Henry) We could have driven up from home and had a better nights sleep

• Options
    Leigh isn't famous for it's hotels, not a even a washed up, er, comedian? could persuade me otherwise!!

It's only about an hour to Chester from Leigh isn't it? I'm sure you're aware of all that now tho aren't you?

Cheers Dave, tried to message you but can't do it from my phone.
  • Options

IMUK is now run by a different team, and from what I've heard from clubmates who recently had to contact them, the attitude has improved ten fold.

I've spectated at Bolton all day twice now, never raced it, never felt inspired by it to be honest. Even though I could sleep in my own bed and make it to the start line. Loved watching it though because it's Ironman and more importantly I've had good friends racing.

I'm useless at climbing hills on the bike, Ironman is hard enough on it's own, don't see the point of picking one that doesn't play to my strengths ( not that I have any ) 

Think they have a new run course this year which is four laps in the town centre.

If I were to choose an Ironman distance race in this country I'd do the Outlaw again in a heartbeat, great event.

And also having done a big race abroad the atmospher at Bolton and there for the same entry fee were worlds apart.

But if you do Bolton I shall be in my usual spot in Addlington cheering you on the bike. image

• Options
    Ironholgs wrote (see)

IMUK is now run by a different team, and from what I've heard from clubmates who recently had to contact them, the attitude has improved ten fold.

In that case ignore what I was going to say matey. The previous folks running it had had some problems and had a habit of banning people who ever complained or tried to help them. From what I’ve heard they behaved like a butch of c***’s. I’d second outlaw through it’s the only ironman I’ve done so far but the best organised race I’ve ever seen off any type. Tri’s I’ve only been doing for a couple of years but been running races since I was 18 and now quite old.  ;)
  • Options
    Cheers Ironholgs, I appreciate all this advice from you forumites, it saves a lot of time and wasted money.

I'll have a look at Outlaw and do a bit of research, I think I've already convinced myself that's it's a distance that I could manage image I haven't got a clue about it yet I couldn't even hazard a guess at times but I won't be going for a time, I'll just want to finish and have the experience.

Didn't take long to convert me did it?!!! image

Don't like the sound of four laps for a marathon, a bit boring and yes you're right the bike course no matter what route it takes is hilly, just that constant slow gradual climb from Pennington Flash up to Rivington is a pain. I love hills on the bike but not for over a hundred miles and not off the back of a 2.4 mile swim with a marathon ahead of me!!
  • Options
    You don't look a day over 50 Cake image
  • Options
    image  I’m 33 and 3 quarters image if it helps the marathon course for outlaw is basically the second half of Nottingham marafun if you’ve ever done it or fancy doing it this year for research. It’s in September.
  • Options
    Outlaw looks good, relatively flat course must be a bonus.
    A cheaper entry fee too, although that would probably be offset by hotel and restaurant costs.
  • Options
    Is the run flat? Well, I know we're not in Amsterdam (I would be in a different mindset if I was image but as long as there are no big hills.
  • Options
    Very flat oh and you can camp next to the start to keep costs down. Also easier than a hotel there is a 6am start so a posh hotel bed is pointless because you won;'t get that much sleep the night before trust me.
  • Options
    Yeah, I must admit that I never sleep well when I travel anyway so it could be an option.

Can you recall what the cut off times are?
  • Options

17 hours it's was ingrained in my head for most of last year. image

• Options
    given your performance on sunday Al, cur off times won't be a factor in your Ironman debut.
  • Options
    Break down and this is from memory 2 hours for the swim, 10 hours before you need to be off the bike and then you’re on the run route so just keep going. Like Holgs I think you could do very well so I’d just think about if you want to do it and then kick arse! We can help you matey tis is the pirate way.image
  • Options

Sorry Guys  Just spent the morning in the gym

Living I Chester and spending 2 years working in Chorley I knew where Leigh was, But Needing to be at the start by 5:15am ish I wanted to spend as long in bed as possible

Last year at IMUK, I really enjoyed the swim and snogging the babe that was pulling us out of the water

The upset stomach problem I had on the bike sort of messed up not only my shorts but my head a bit.

I would have enjoyed the bike otherwise.

The run was a nightmare, I was badly under fed, after the stomach issue, and really just kept putting 1 foot in front of the other til I reached the red carpet. Thanks to Holgs & Suzie (Mrs Spartan) for the cheers and encouragement on the run and to The Admiral Rosey for a quick talking to a 3rd of the way into the run....

Haven't raced abroad, yet.... I know Holgs is thinking about a "4Some outing" which may be Outlaw next year

• Options
    image  Assuming I can given family stuff at the moment I will almost positively be doing an IM next year and while I’d like to travel Outlaw is high on the list at the moment as it might go down to cost. Might do outlaw anyway if I’ve got the cash but weddings I’ve been told can be expensive.
  • Options
    17 hours is do able, I'm under no illusion how hard this thing is but at least I've got plenty of cycling mileage under my belt (although the furthest I've ridden in one session is about 75 miles) I've also got marathon experience and I could swim the 2.4 but I'd have to do breaststroke.

So there are plenty of training, fuelling and mental building blocks there I just need to build upon that and put everything together.

A trip abroad for an event is not an option right now due to so many other financial commitments and constraints, so it would have to be on home soil and preferably relatively close. It's looking like IMUK or Outlaw at the minute, that's if I decide to commit image

I think my reservations are that I've only done the shortest distance I could find and I know from running that it's a massive jump from a 5 or 10k to marathon and this is even bigger!!
  • Options
    Yes they are Cake!!!! Very much so! we'll probably be paying for ours for a few years yet and ours is meant to be relatively cheap! People hear WEDDING and rub their hands together! Everyone wants your cash, venue, photographer, dress shop (not for you obviously, well u never know image florist, invitation maker etc etc £££££££££££££££££!
  • Options

imageimage But I'm a tight yorkshireman. image

• Options
    Ah yes but you don't get a say unless your missus let's you!!!
  • Options
    image  That’s me stuffed then she can have whatever she wants unless it’s my muppets album.
  • Options
    Even you Jason Donovan cd's ???
  • Options
    image  I actually have one off those it was a musical prop for something it’s hard to explain without sounding like some sort of nutter.