Options

Inspire "Elders"

Comments

• Options

hello all

Farby - hope the sunburn is better todayimage Sub 2 HM...wow that would be fab.

Min - pleased to se you back in one piece!

Cabby - how exciting...what an adventure!

I love the idea of Budapest but just can't commit at the moment as life is so hectic with the family.

• Options
    WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭

Hi everyone,

Have had a $h1te week at work - been far too busy to keep up with going-on here and on FB. Attempting a mega catch-up...

Lots of good running and cross-training going on I see. Lots of doggy-related chat and photos too. And plans afoot for a trip to Budapest I notice (and as a non-runner but having seen Cabbey's comment about the thermal baths, might even have a nosy at the link myself).

GQ - sounds like you have similar shoulder exercises to me. Hope you've enjoyed the IOW.

MWW - see you've had a cold .. hope it's improving by now.

Cabbey - sorry last weekend's trail run didn't go as planned. I get dehydrated just sitting on my towel in my sauna, let alone wearing a load of extra gear like you do. If "avoiding you like the Prague" is a grandad joke I'll grab it quick while Q isn't here.

RP - ooh .. get you going all 'feng shui' image  Feels good getting rid of junk doesn't it? The 'Fink' plan?? (that just makes me think of "Mad" magazine).

Min - I helped my friend move a sofa in a white van we hired - we made a point of buying a Sun and sticking it in the front window! image

Farby - congrats to SIL on the new arrival and hope that sunburn is improving and not so sore now.

Off to read Pegg's report on Fetch.

*waves* to every one else

I hadn't attempted anything in the way of exercise and had another session with the osteopath on Tuesday. He made another small adjustment to my neck where the trapped nerve was - just a small click compared to last week's loud clunk. He also had another go at my left shoulder. I've got complete movement back in both shoulders and he's happy to see me again in 4 weeks time unless I have any more problems. I'm still getting minor twinges in the left arm as the trapped nerve continues to settle back down and my 1st finger still feels very slightly numb.

The good news was the osteopath said I can start exercising again! image But to take things very slowly - he warned me to be patient and not try too much too soon. So some brisk walks first, then maybe some walks with bits of jogging between lamposts. Maybe some swimming as well, but again, very gently to start with. His main message was .. "Listen to your body". He also said to leave joining a gym until January. And I can't easily sneak along to my running club too soon. I found out he is also a member but normally does the speed/intervals sessions rather than the general runs which is why our paths haven't crossed up to now.

Hope you all have a good weekend. We've nothing planned as this is one of our 'quiet' weekends before a few where there are things in the diary every time.

• Options

Afternoon all.  The end of a very brief two day week for me as I've been off pampering myself at the spa.  Really wish I could go back.... the outdoor hot-tub was the best, wondered if I could fit one in my garden but suspect it might fill it!

Just did a quick look back and enjoyed all the doggy pics.  My parents have a very ancient Sheba Inu (mini Japenese breed) and have been debating getting a new friend as my dad does a lot of walking (he's an ex-runner forced to slow down as he needs a new knee!) and poor Aike (current dog) can only manage a mile or so now.  I am campaigning for a dog I can run with but not sure I've convinced them yet!

Can't believe India is next week Cabbey!  Hope you are feeling ready and nice and calm and relaxed (if that's possible).  When is the race?  I will make a note to keep my fingers crossed for you!

Congratulations on the new neice Farby.  Great news you can exercise again Mel - have a fab weekend (and thanks for doing the catch up!)  Also spotted Pegg has done a mara report so will pop over for a read now.

I've remembered I owe everyone a cross country report.  On it in a moment!

• Options
    Fabulous report Pegg - I am most impressed you look good in the photos.  My only piccies from Edinburgh are from the end and not only do I have my eyes shut my thigh muscles seem to be in spasm.  It's not attractive!
  • Options

As promised.....

First race of the season is Heaton Park. It's the only one I've not done before having managed to book myself up the last two years. I couldn't think of a suitable excuse this time so Saturday afternoon after marshalling duties at parkrun I set off for some fun in the mud.

Ladies go first (after all the junior races) at the slightly odd time of 1.40pm. I arrived at the park a good hour early which was as well as it's a huge place and I managed to park as far away from the start as was possible. After a pleasant stroll (it was a lovely day and the park was full of people enjoying the autumn sunshine) I spotted the ribbons marking the race route and traced these back to the start/ finish which was on the grass at the top of a massive hill.

The next 40 minutes or so was spent chatting to clubmates and assembling our club tent and flag before endless debates over which length spikes to use, whether to wear a vest of a sleeved top etc etc. It was soon time to line up and the 9 ladies from my club did our usual trick of hiding at the back until me and one of the other ladies somehow found ourselves shifted to the front line as people moved about. We quickly rectified this and my poor clubmate was actually facing the wrong way talking to me as the gun went!

Then we were off, straight down the hill, this bit was fun! I got massively carried away in the first lap - I was keeping in sight for my 3 faster clubmates who I knew would be minutes ahead by the end! But it was so nice to be running on the grass, under the shade of the trees. It wasn't even that muddy (the whole week had been quite dry) other than in patches but even there it was fun to splash in the mud. I eventaully settled into a more sensible pace and a couple of miles in was passed by a lady I remembered from every cross country race last year (including the Northerns and the Nationals) we are so closely paced it's not true. I used her as a pacer and we managed to catch and pass a few other ladies. Then disaster struck.... in the forest I followed the girls in front to the left of the tape and down a hill only to hear shouts from the top telling me we'd missed a right turn. So it was turn around and all the way back up the hill, losing back all the places I'd just made up. Probably only cost me 30 seconds but it was a bit disheartening!

The ladies course was two large laps. Our races are usually 4 miles max so I realised this one was going to be a long one when I climbed back up the massive hill to start lap two and realised I'd done 2.5 miles already. Lap 2 was very tough but I tried to keep an even pace and just concentrate on getting to the end! The hill to the finish was horrid but having my team-mates who'd finished plus the boys who hadn't yet started there to cheer me on inspired me to speed up a little and hold onto what turned out to be 110th place (from 171 starters which is an improvement on last years average placing!) in a time of 43.05 for 5 miles (would have been 42.xx without diversion!) and an average speed of 8.35 min/miles to my amazement!

Race over I then had the fun job of cheering in the rest of the girls and then watching the boys take their turn!

• Options
    .... connect 4!
  • Options

good evening all

back from the isle of wight, had a great few days there despite the weather, the journey back was not so good left southampton at 2:30 this afternoon and got home at 8:30 after a nightmare 3 hours on the M25(was only on there for 45 miles)

will try and catch up tomorrow

• Options

Becx well done on the XC.

I decided to get out of the xc at Skeg today, I would go run a half mara instead. Unfortunately I forgot that there are hills round Worsop!! My poor foot, it felt like I was running on a hot poker from mile 6. It was the first time that I have ever wanted to bail out of a race. (it didn't help wearing very high heels yesterday). The good side was the course, running through Clumber park was very nice indeed and the tech T shirt is fab.

• Options
    WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭

Morning all,

Bec - that spa visit sounds lovely. Mrs Wm and I try and arrange one or two day-visits to local ones each year. We've considered an outdoor hot-tub ourselves - but suspect we might become quite popular with the neighbours! I think it was Lionnose who used to supply the mega-catchups .. glad mine was helpful image Enjoyed the race report - shame about the mis-direction costing you some places but impressive pace there. Looking forward to hearing more race reports over the coming months. Oh - and well done re the connect4!!!! image

GQ - glad you enjoyed the IOW despite the weather. Bad news re the delays on the M25 (the road to hell).

RP - well done re running that HM but sorry to hear about your problems with your foot.

=====

I managed the quiet weekend I had planned - I was on call on Saturday but the phone stayed quiet. As I was stuck at home I caught up with emails and letters and carried on with 'mission impossible' .. sorting through and discarding year's worth of paperwork and magazines cluttering up my study and bedroom. Had a quiet Sunday as well and cooked a sunday roast while Mrs Wm caught up with Downton.

I had my first bit of exercise for weeks on Saturday. Mrs Wm and I went for a brisk walk around town via Cirencester Park. My left arm felt slightly 'tingly' to begin with but it soon settled down. I don't have any problems with my shoulders now. The very tip of my first finger still feels slightly numb and I get the odd twinges in my arm but I'm sure it will soon sort itself out.

• Options

Morning all - bit quiet on here!

• Options
    WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭

Very quiet Min! image

I had a stroke of luck yesterday. I was at our local theatre last night, having a drink before the show. I saw a poster advertising a gig by "The Hamsters" in Feb 2012. Turned out they had only added it to their system yesterday and hadn't actually sold any tickets at that point. So I had a free choice and was able to snap up two front row tickets (assuming my mate who I saw them with last time would be available and interested!). Result!! image

• Options

Have a great time in India, Cabbey - and watch what you eat and drink, don't want you going down with a stomach upset!

Caveat - don't mean to imply anything bad about India by that, you can get food upsets in any foreign country eating stuff you're not used to.

• Options
    Morning all.

I'm knackered, the sleepless nights have started (once I wake at 3ish that's me for at least an hour) Normal though I expect.

Bec I forgot to say well done for your race so I'll say it now image

Thanks UI, I'm normally pretty good when abroad, I think if you use hand gel after you handle money (have you SEEN where they store their money on their bodies... Urgh) and don't go on silly with food and water you're ok (hopes) image They have changed the course "dramatically" and someone said it is "A race directors dark fantasy" because it's so hard. Long range weather forecast is 28 degrees and no cloud cover ... Hmmmmm! Oh well, que sera....

Anyway, not sure if any if you are racing (apart from Sandy and RP of course... Best of luck there), but have a good one all and I'll see you in a couple of weeks with a nice shiny new medal.
  • Options
    Good luck Cabbey, although I'm sure you won't need it - you'll be just fabulush image
  • Options
     good luck cabbey, RP and sandy
  • Options
     morning everyone, hope you all have a good weekend
  • Options

Hello!  Probably too late for Cabbey now but sending her lots and lots of luck for her crazy feats.... that's going to be one mammoth race report!

Happy weekened to everyone else.  I'm doing the rather unusual distance of 8 miles and 781 yards this weekend at the hilly as heck Through the Villages Race.  I've only done this once before so there's a reasonable chance of a PB!

• Options
    Nice outdoor swim yesterday, the local 50m outside pool usually closes in September for the winter but this year the indoor 25m pool is undergoing renovation and isn't yet ready to open. So they are heating the outdoor one which is super for us as most people seem to think it's winter now and too cold to swim outside. It isn't. Yesterday  there were never more than 7 people in the water and during most of our swim, only 4! OH swam 5000m, and I managed 4000m in the same time - shows how much faster he is than me.
  • Options
    WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭

Busy day at work today so not had time to have a proper read back. Just wanted to say I got on my treadmill yesterday and I runned .. well, sort of image It was the first proper session for about 2 months which consisted of 10min walk .. 10min run/walk (r1,w1,r1,w1,r1,w1,r1,w1,r2) .. 10 min walk/run (w2,r4,w4). No ill effects yesterday and my shoulders feel okay today! image

• Options

morning all

well done on the swimming UI

well done on the treadie run mel, glad the shoulders are doing well

• Options

were back, we had a fab time, OH came 22nd in his age category, he loved being part of team GB, he is already talking about next years race!!!

I have serious jet lag at the mo, so will catch up later in the week

• Options
    Oh my goodness look who i've stumbled upon, I don't belong here.......... (runs away scared)........
  • Options

Well done to the OH RP - is next year's race somewhere suitably exotic to get you a good holiday??

Great to see you back running W'Mel - make sure you take it nice and steady.

I managed the new 8.45 mile PB on Sunday.  Fabulous race and a gorgeous day for running - I actually slowed down to admire the view at one point!  And they took a not too awful race photo - if anyone's bored go to

http://www.runningpix.co.uk/Roadpics/ThroVillages1159D/index.htm

and I'm in photo no. ThroVillages1159D161.jpg (and the one before) just as I passed one of my clubmates!

• Options

morning all

congratulations to your OH RP

well done on your race bec

• Options

morning all

welcome back RP and a big congratulations to Mr RP

come back Weasie - you do belong here!

well done BecX - fab running from you as always!

• Options

Weasie get your back side here! you know you want too! lol

Becx next year is not quite exotic...Spain but it means we can make a family holiday out of it!

• Options

morning all

no running today, off to norwich for the day