Options

Milton Keynes Marathon

Comments

• Options
    Tenjiso - thanks for the heads-up on the MK Half. I was just about to go and check the date. Must enter that. I ran the first one in 2004 as my first half, then again in 2006... and haven't run a half since!  It's good preparation for the marathon as it takes in a lot of the same areas, if not exactly the same paths or in the same direction. 
  • Options

Hi guys

SVT - thx for the input re the route, always good to get a bit of local knowledge!! 

I'm excited about this one - did my one and only mara this year at London, unfinished business as slowly started dying at19-20mile but just clung on for sub 4 (was aiming for 3.45).  I like the 'green city' angle proposed by the organisers of MK and the stadium finish of course.  Am booked into the local Hilton I think....... Aiming for 3.30 in April........

I've done some shorter local races up to 15m distance since London and feel a real progression.  However, am champing at the bit to start gearing up again for the long stuff.  Brighton 10k in 2 weeks and then let the madness begin!

Re tune up races - am planning 2 HMs and plan to race them both.  One 1 April and is flat and aiming for race experience close to the big day & should just be ok for the last LSR before taper the week after.   Also one (hilly) HM at the end of Feb - really to give a bit of focus to first part of training and to take stock of where am at 2 months before.  I've been reading the P&D book and an keen to concentrate on going much longer (and slower) than previously and the LSR will be the cornerstone of the prep - think the races are important to do but not at really long distance.  Hm tops. The again, what do I know? image

• Options

Hi all, good to c this tread is starting to take off. Intresting views ref pre races. I would suggest entering races even if u use them as training runs. Good to run with company, and test out things like drinks, gels ect. Im going to enter the following:

Jan 22nd Fred hughes 10 mile (run by my local running club, so feel obliged to enter. Good race to stretch legs at poss MP pace)

Feb 5th Watford half (again a run near where I live so like to do it every yr. First half easy second half at MP)

Feb 26th Gade valley 17mile training run (Nice and local, cheap to enter, good to run a training run with fellow runners. Run at MP pace, test out drinks, gels ect.)

March 4th MK Half (try out mk course, going to run first half easy second half at MP, the idea is my body is starting to get use to running at MP on longer runs so I dont just end up jogging every weekend)

March 25th (gade valley 20mile tr (going to run at mp, first 3miles steady then hopefully into pace. This will be a good race to test my MP, running with fellow runners a few weeks out from the big one)

April 1st kingston breakfast run 16miles (2 lap course, first lap take steady, then 2nd lap MP, slightly shorter run than the weekend before but again testing MP)

April 8th This will be my last long run, on my own 22miles. Hopefully all of the above races will help me. Going to run middle 12miles at MP, rest will be easy/steady.

So plenty of races for me. I have been running for many yrs and this yr achieved my pb of 3hrs 33min 34 sec for marathon. This was based on hard training and getting plenty of runs at MP or faster (shorter midweek runs). My advice would b make sure u get plenty of paractise at running MP so ur body doesnt become to used to easy long weekend runs. This is my advice but may not be suitable for all.

Hope this helps any one thinking what races to enter, Happy running

Off to gym now!!!! 

• Options
    Thanks for that Stephen, appreciate the advice. I notice that the Runner's World (Garmin) schedules include a lot more runs at MP.

I've pencilled-in the GVH training runs you mentioned, plus the Watford HM. With a slight re-jig to my plan (to increase the LSR mileage a bit earlier in the program), they make good sense. I'll consider the Fred Hughes 10m too.

That's a very nice PB - congratulations! Are you aiming for sub-3:30 this year?
  • Options

Hi Tenjiso,

Yer i would lv to do 3.30, never thought at 46 I would get near to it, but just shows with good training, good gels,drink along the way, and finally luck with the weather anything is possible.

Let me know if u enter fred hughes or watford send race number nearer the time and Ill c u there. What r u hoping for at MK

• Options
    I'm currently aiming for sub-4:30, maybe sub 4:20. My previous (and only) marathon at Stratford (2009) was 4:38.

• Options
    My aim is the same it's been since my first marathon in 2004 - sub-4. Yet to do it - PB of 4:10.
  • Options

Stephen, and all others who can help  - please put me out of my misery regarding the different paces you use. My idea of Marathon Pace (MP) would be just a little slower than my normal pace when out running -not faster!! ...pls can you explain what I should be aiming for? I am very slow... (my average pace on any run of 10k or more is 10 min mile, if its hilly then average would work out 10.5 - 11mm). A 5k race I can keep to about 9 min mile.... so what do I aim for for 26 miles??! I have been told my long slow training runs should be about 1-2 min miles slower than normal pace (so 11+) is this correct?

A little advice would be so greatly appreciated from those who obviously have so much experience image

• Options
    10mm - If you look at the Runner's World Marathon Guides online, there is a section of Garmin plans. For some reason I can't create a link to it on this forum :/ - it's under the training section, big marathon index.

Select a plan, such as sub-4:30 and then put in your target time in the calculator on the right. This then calculates the training paces to use. Loosely speaking, a 10:00 marathon pace will calculate to somewhere around 11:00 for the Long Slow Runs. The plans then tell you the pace to select for each type of training (steady pace, 10k pace, etc).

There is also a calculator to predict a target marathon time based on your times in other distances. Though I would say use it with caution.

Hope this makes sense.

As an aside - I've no idea why I can't create links or use quotes on this forum? Maybe 'cos I'm using Chrome browser?

Edit: This is the location (you can cut/paste):
    http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/racing/rws-garmin-ready-marathon-schedule-sub-430/2767.html
  • Options
    One other thing - using a heart rate monitor is also a great way of keeping to the correct pace. Again there are articles on RW.
  • Options
    +1 on heart rate monitors. I use one all the time in training (but never when racing). So, although I'm aiming for a sub-4 hour marathon, I train according to 75% of my max heart rate.  That way I'm letting my level of fitness dictate the pace I do, rather than a target I set that may be overambitious or less than I'm capable of.
  • Options
    When I first started running, it was purely as a warm-up exercise at the Gym. I received the book "Heart Monitor Training for the Compleat Idiot" for Christmas and was an almost instant convert. I followed the novice plan for three months religiously and discovered that running didn't have to be painful image

I'm currently combining running to RW suggested paces with using the heart monitor to try to avoid illness/injury. I really want to be on the start line for the marathon next year!
  • Options
    Hi,

I'm thinking about this for next year as a first marathon. Do you think it would be possible to stay in mk and get a taxi from a hotel to the stadium or is it likely the roads would be choked and i'd end up missing the start!

Also, looking at the course map it looks like their are no loos at the start of the race, i know it sounds silly but there's no way i can set off on a marathon with a full bladder!
  • Options

Hi HTC24 - There will def be loos!!! Don't worry, there should also be loo-stops all the way round the course at various intervals!! If you stay in Mk the night before book a taxi the night before too, there are plenty of different ways into the area where the stadium is, and MK is *normally* fairly profficent at working out road logistics to keep traffic flowing, so you should be ok, just set off with plenty of time, like you always would on a race morning. HTH

• Options
    Thanks, i did wonder (men seem to be ok, but us women have extra considerations, something that adds a layer of thought when i'm out cycling 100km for example). Mk seems to be the nearest flat course, i was thinking about edinburgh but it's just a bit too far away in calendar terms, i train on very hilly terrain where i live and very much look forward to an opportunity to run a flat route!
  • Options
    I've just received my race number for the Bedford Half Marathon, which is in three weeks. This will give me an idea if my marathon target time (4:20 - 4:30) is in the right ballpark.

I'll probably aim for around 2:05 - 2:10 for this HM. Then go for a sub-2:00 next year if all goes well.

How is everyone's training progressing?
  • Options

Hi Tenjiso

Is Bedford flat? Done before? At least it shouldn't be hot in 3 weeks! MK first mara?

I'm yet to start marathon specific training - have been concentrating on shorter races since London this year (a random bag of 5ks up to 15milers).  Last one - the Brighton 10k on Sunday and then plan to start increasing the LSRs at the weekends so that get to Xmas doing HM/14m distance.  TBH am champing at the bit to get back on the long stuff - am going long and slow this time!

Cheers

Cooks

• Options
    Hi Cooks.

Bedford isn't flat. It's described as "undulating" (aren't they all?) I ran it in 2008 and felt like it was more uphill than down image It was my first half marathon and preceded my one and only marathon to date, which I ran the following spring. I enjoyed running it and remember thinking "how the hell will I run twice that distance in only four months?".

I'm assuming the course is unchanged, so it will be a good benchmark comparison for me.

I'm going to do a slow/conversational 12 mile run on the treadmill tomorrow (I actually do like treadmill running!) while listening to past episodes of "marathon talk".
  • Options

Tenjiso - I like the sound of an undulating downhill HM!! Will have to look into that one for next year!! image  Great idea to benchmark and sounds as if you're up to good mileage if planing 12 tomorrow...... I like treadmil running as well, esp in the winter, a good break from the cold. Although 12 miles? That is dedication!!!

How did your mara go and which one did you do? I've only done the one too and (funnily enough) struggled over the last 6-7 miles.  I too remember thinking exactly the same re double the distance but then I found the buzz of the long run distances going up and up great and loved people's faces when casuall mentioning that ran 18 miles on Sunday............... image

Marathon talk? Is that a podcast?

• Options
    My longest treadmill run is 20 miles image

My marathon was the Shakespeare marathon (Stratford), which is on the same day as the MK Marathon next year. I finished in 4:38, which was less than I had hoped - I put that down to the heat on the day and the fact I started out too fast. I struggled over the last six miles too.

I'm hoping to be a sleeker model when I toe the start line at MK next year, which should help. Also, I really did neglect other aspects like pre-race nutrition. I want to getter a better handle on that.
  • Options

Wow - 20 miles on a treadmill! I doth my cap!!  I've heard really good things about Stratford............  I missed my target time by 12 mins - heat was part of the reason but also lack of miles in training (or at least I think).  I've got the Advanced Marathon book now, which is really good at explaining the physiology & nutrition behind marathon running and also good for insane training plans.  I'm going to try the entry level one which is (only?!?) 55 miles per week at peak image  Starting out too fast defo comes back to haunt...............

I could do with losing a few pounds too image

• Options
    I forgot to say, Marathon Talk is indeed a podcast - by Martin Yelling and Tom Williams. You can download them from www.marathontalk.com

I'm working my way through the 2010 episodes at the moment (found in the archive). It helps to pass the time during long runs as each episode is around 75 minutes. It was quite poignant listening to the Sammy Wanjiru interview, knowing what was subsequently going to happen.
  • Options

'Lo all,

currently thinking about putting some structure to my plan.  Have also got the 55 mile P+D schedule copied- I should be at Bedford too which will give me an idea as to where I am speed wise.  I'm hoping for a sub 3:25 which would give me a Boston qualification time.

• Options
    Hi Ferret.

Standards must be slipping at Boston. Even I can manage a sub 3:25 half-marathon at Bedford image
  • Options

Perhaps a future treadmill marathon will be the next big event to capture the racing fraternity's imagination. I managed 16 several weeks ago as my pre-Liverpool long run, and luckily someone was on hand to replenish the water supply for me to enable contnuous running. I'm not sure how a treadmill event would deal with loo stops though over a longer distance.

• Options

not sure I could do 16miles fair play to you.

Went 11miles today, felt really good. Pleased with base training at moment, must say first morning actually a bit cold. May be is winter coming at last!!!!!

• Options

Try this for working out training paces

I will be racing the Wokingham Half in Feb and deciding on my target for MK after that so won't be doing any marathon pace work till after that.

For those asking about hotels in MK there is a Hilton that forms part of Stadium MK which is where we start/finish.  Cheaper options are the Premier Inns at Caldecote and Willen Lakes or various Travelodges.

Anyone who would like a little jog the day before would be very welcome at the parkrun at Willen Lake

• Options
    Thanks USB - useful calculator. I'm getting pretty consistent results using a variety of distances, so I'm confident I'm in the right ballpark training-wise. Incidentally, I followed your Super Six thread last year. Just lurking because I was always a couple of weeks behind on the training schedule.

Yesterday I ran an easy-pace twelve miler. It was good to see that my heart rate peaked lower than it had during my ten mile run the previous week, and was also lower on average.

• Options

Hi Tenjiso - thanks for the heads up re Marathontalk, I don't use an ipod when training but will download for the car!! (I have a 45 min each way commute.....) Sounds good!

• Options

I'm in and will start my training in January. This will be my third Marathon having done Halstead and the Robin Hood this year.

The course looks fantastic and having done MK Parkrun a couple of times I have a rough idea of how flat this course will be so looking for a sub 3:15 which would give me a good for age London entry! I'm never entering the ballot again........................I hope.

I have used the RW Marathon training schedules for both of my marathons and can say that they worked for me and got me below both of my target times which were 3:45 and then 3:30

I have my first Ultra (Hereward) this coming weekend so once that is out of the way and I get a good rest I will be back in full training for this marathon.