Options

Milton Keynes Marathon

Comments

• Options
    Oh and i got my predictions from the Fetch site.
  • Options

Interesting re the training route - does look like the northern half of the route which I have now printed out and is adorning my desk partition.  A real shame that won't be able to make it............esp as my only knowledge of MK is from prior attendances at Heavy Metal festivals in the Bowl.....................

I also saw on the website that the marathon route has been 'map my run'd....... When I first looked at the elevation profile I thought - wow, that's not flat!! Then I realised it is in feet image..... After a bit of a comparision to a few of my training routes it does seem very reasonable, even the stetch from 18.3 - 21.2  at about 100ft shouldn't be too much of a problem spread over 3 miles but then again that be where the wall might kick in! image

• Options

@clamshell.

Great, thanks for info - v. useful to make comparisons since this will be my first marathon!!!

@Steve/ - re. routes in MK how about parking in Blakelands at the car park near the shops, pop over bridge to Giffard Park to start. There's a great playpark there.  there you run could part of the route backwards down the canal and cross over to the other side of the canal to come back, or make a circuit somehow to meet the route coming back up to Giffard Park on the other side of MK.  All cycleable with your daughter (great idea - I do that too!).

Liz

• Options
    H0NKH0NK ✭✭✭
    Thanks Liz, 2 new routes to try out now, will make a nice change from my usual routes.
  • Options
    Steve, my apologies have just realised when I said the car park in Blakelands, I meant in Giffard Park!  Blakelands is the other side of Brickhill St . There's a car park in the Giffard Park local centre, signposted from near the top of Brickhill St.  It's right by the canal.
  • Options

Hi all, how u all getting on, busy I can see. Training is becoming a little difficult at moment something called work keeps trying to get in the way!!!!

I have been asked if I want to try an ultra in jan14th (45miles) do u think I could use this as prep for Mk marathon!!!! or should i decline very nice offer!! Not sure I have done enough prep for it (apart from the eating a lot part) 1 week to make final decision.

Completed a lovelly long run today couldnt believe how sunny and warm it was. Is it really December?

Happy running everyone

• Options

busy talking, need to get on with being busy running...  an ultra sounds like a pretty mad idea to me, but that's because I haven't run more than 10 miles recently!!  No idea if it could be good prep for a marathon - I'm sure there's enough time to recover before April but it might muck up the training for a few weeks after it if it takes too much out of you.  Good luck if you decide to enter!

Yes, it's ridiculously warm, down south anyway.  I went for my run in shorts and t-shirt last weekend.  evenings a bit cooler but still not too bad.

• Options
    Just entered.

This will be my first marathon. I have done two halves and six 10ks, before and my longest training run to date was 17.5 miles done on Saturday. Aiming for a time of between 3.15 and 3.30 based on my most recent 10k time of 40.00 minutes.
  • Options
    Why is my luck so lousy? Three days to go to the half-marathon and I've picked up the sniffles and a sore throat image

I seriously hope it doesn't move down to the chest, but my recent history hasn't been great (I'm being tested/monitored for suspected Asthma, though I still have doubts about this).

Anyhow, that's the whining out of the way. The training has been going well and my times are slightly better than they were in the run up to my previous marathon - I keep records of all my training image

I'll take it easy today - warm drinks, vitamin C and so on. Fingers crossed!
  • Options
    Hi Tenjiso -sorry to hear that but all the best for a speedy recovery (& stays off chest) & a swift half! image
  • Options
    With a few days rest, I made it to the start line of the Bedford Half image

My target was 2:05 - 2:10, so I ran at 9:30 pace from the start to see how I felt. I maintained this for the first 8 or 9 miles and felt fine as the course became more downhill, at which point in increased my speed a bit to 9:00 pace or thereabouts. Finished in 2:02, feeling good. the only downside was the realisation that I had missed my half-marathon PB by only 6 seconds! Still, I'm not concerned because a PB was never the target, and my PB was on a flat course.

I feel happy that I'm on course for my marathon target. Time to start seriously considering the build-up races.
  • Options

well done Tenjiso, now the real training begins!!!!! Good to have a half under ur belt so early.

Ive been building up gradually, having to fit in training in between working,  and dark mornings/nights is always a challenge.

Having been using the gym for quite a bit of the training and looking at the weather this week will probably been doing this again this week.

• Options
    Well done Tenjiso - don't worry about the pb, there is always next time....  Definately a sensible approach given the circumstance - a job well done!!
  • Options

Good luck everyone! I am entering this myself and documenting my experiences in my blog:
    http://www.boyontherun.co.uk

Cheers,

Duncan Edwards

• Options
    DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I signed up for this yesterday via a charity. It'll be my 9th marathon. Did my first one 25 years ago! Have run on and off ever since but with not much commitment - family, work etc.

I'm hoping to run under 3:15 to get my good for age qualification for London for 2013 and 2014. I will be 50 in April 2014 so would like to think with 2 1/2 years of solid training I'll get close to 3 hours then.

All I have to do now is avoid injury! 

Good luck everyone!

• Options
    Stephen Elkan 2 wrote (see)

I have been asked if I want to try an ultra in jan14th (45miles) do u think I could use this as prep for Mk marathon!!!! or should i decline very nice offer!! Not sure I have done enough prep for it (apart from the eating a lot part) 1 week to make final decision.

my hubby is doing the MK mara so is interested in the route descriptions on here !!..

re:ultra stephen..you can pop onto the ultra thread and ask as many Qs as you like abt ultra training there with usimage personally id say it was a bit backwards to do a 45 in prep for a mara...and your pace will be different too for an ultra of 45miles..image..i have a mara in jan where my pace is 10/11 min/mile. in Aug i have a 50miler where i expect my pace to realistically be 12 /13minute miles with walk breaks....maybe do the mara first and then see how you feel? good luck with MK , i will be in the crowd for this one lol

• Options
    Hi all

I live close to MK and just wondered if those of you who've signed up for the MK marathon could tell me something please: have you been getting any communication from the organisers since you signed up, anything like a regular email once a month or so?
    Cheers
  • Options
    H0NKH0NK ✭✭✭
    Not a regular monthly email, but they did send out an update at the end of November.
  • Options
    Cool, thanks very much
  • Options

Ok folks getting nearer to the new yr. R u happy with training? I have been really mixing it up swimming, gym (bike) and road running. Helps me stay injury free I find and keeps me fit in winter training.

Went out for an 11mile run nice and easy, but very cold. Great to get 11miles under belt now and feel pretty good.

I have decided not to do Ultra run in Jan as no where near enough training behind me but will hopefully do 1 before the yr ends.

Got to book the races I want to enter soon,

Happy running

• Options
    Hi Stephen - well done on the 11 miler, it is good to start building themmileage back up. If you are interested on doing an ultra next year I can recommend the Grimsthorpe ultra, it is run by fatfeet, the date for next year is friday 13th July and they are doing a 40, 70 and 105 runs it is based on a 10 mile lap part road p[art trail and no navigation skills are required. I did the 70 last year as my first ultra and definately going to do it again next year. They have not released places yet but keep an eye on www.fatfeet.co.uk places will be issued soon apparently.
  • Options
    Thanks spen, sounds good. I will look out for this.
  • Options
    Weekly mileage now up to 39 miles. Planning to build up to 50 by February.
  • Options
    I've been hit for six by a virus image I've barely been able to walk, never mind run, so my current mileage is big fat zero.

Looking on the bright side, it has come after the half-marathon and before commencement of the main marathon training. Natures way of telling me to rest, I guess.

• Options
    PG3PG3 ✭✭✭

hey everyone

Just noticed the activity on this thread image

Things are going well.  I set a 5k PB last weekend (admittedly, I haven't run that many 5ks so it's unlikely that I am faster than I have ever been) but still....  I had a baby in Jan so it's been a long road back to fitness and weight loss but I am feeling like I am getting there.

Re times, I am not really sure.  I will probably do more running than when i did my last marathon but I will have less endurance as I wont be doing long bike rides due to lack of time.  I did Berlin in 4h29.  I hadn't done a whole heap or runing training but I did an ironman a few months before so my endurance was great, I never got to the painful part and my 5k times were all the same.

Anyway, we'll see.  In the meantime, I will try to stay injury free.

I will be following the 3 runs a week, novice plan.  I have a foot problem and it won't stand up to any more miles than that. 

Pip

• Options

Nice one pipG. What was berlin like, ive been tempted by a overseas marathon and everyone tells me berlin or amsterdam r pretty good.

Good to see thread picking up and everyone getting in some lovelly winter training. Jan builds up and then its all systems go.

Fab week so far for me, followed up my LSR on Sunday with hill training and swimming on Tuesday and an easy 4.5mile run today. Going to do fast run Thurs, no chance of training fri/sat due to work. Havent told wife yet but am going to sneak out for a 5.5mile easy run Sunday morning before all that food gets consumed.

Question is do I just sneak out and hope she is too busy to notice or, face up and tell her the truth!!!!!

Happy running

happy running

• Options
    DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

That's a tough one SE2 - Whatever you decide it'll be wrong, but at least if you're honest you won't have your run spoiled by worrying what she's gonna say if she finds out you sneaked out!

I've got a similar dilemna. We're off on hols for the Xmas duration and Mrs DS ain't too keen on me running on holiday. Only good thing is we're off to Center Parcs so really easy to justify loads of sports kit when we did the packing tonight.

Not sure I'm brave enough to risk running on Sunday though!!!!!

• Options

just entered, my first mara for a couple of years

been ticking over doing LSR's on weekends for a few months, all that is about to change!.

• Options
    I'm back running again, thankfully, after being laid-up by the virus from hell. Judging by my first couple of runs, it hasn't impacted my training too much. Nonetheless, I'll not go crazy with the long runs until I'm sure.

In the meantime, I've got copious amounts of Christmas pudding, Christmas cake and mince pies to burn off.

• Options
    My training is getting back on-track. I've just entered my first build-up race - the Watford Half-Marathon on 5th Feb. Is anyone running this? Also, does anybody know about the course profile?

Update: I've also entered the Nike MK Half-Marathon on 4th March, which should be a good test for what I should target for the full marathon.