Options

wannabe ultra runner?

Comments

• Options
    you can buy a neopreme hose cover to insulate them - got mine from Wiggle for a tenner I think
  • Options

thats why i got eurohike...it was the only one small enough to do up and not bounce around...my waist belt for shorter runs i had to cut 6inches off the strap to do it up tight and not have it dangling everywhere!!

an iced up spout sounds painful-lolimageimage

• Options
    The easiest way to prevent your hydration bladder from freezing up is to simply use fruit juice, which has a lower freezing point than water.  For mountaineering in Glencoe in January I use orange squash.  You get a few ice crystals forming in it but it doesn't freeze up. 
  • Options
    ooo thank you Ben for that ...still sounds painful thoughimage....will try squash whn temps reach below
  • Options

I suspect that electrolyte tablets might als oreduce risk of freezing- I use noon, and high5 "zero"- both have the advantage that they are not sugary, so less likely to end up as a sticky, unhygeinic mess in un- cleanable nooks and crannies of hydration pack.

Am utterly knackered this am- I think I need to ease back a little- 3 months of record- breaking mileage is taking it's toll.

• Options

yep, i have felt like that too lately...ive been doing 13milers every weekend and during the week shorter runs...as well as work etc..i have felt wiped out some days..i didnt do a mid week run last week and felt better for it..weather has been v warm which doesnt help either...

• Options

Can't blame warm weather here in scotland......more likely to be rising damp!- some amazing thunderstorms last 2 days. Am going take it eaasy this weekend- short fast tready run this morning ( doing a half next weekend, and have only done slow running recently), then a rest until tuesday- I have tuesday afternoon off, so maybe a longer run then...................

Lots to watch on TV- athletics, F1- could just slob on the sofa all weekend!

• Options

hi everyone - I'm looking at doing my first ultra next year. Have done 1 mara which I really enjoyed and doing my next one in Oct (Beachy Head) then Brighton again in April.

Have just seen the the Wall Run - 65miles over 2 days. Do you think that is too much for a beginner?

My other idea was the Kent 50 but I like the look of the 2 dayer more. Suppose I had better see if I survive Beachy first!

• Options
    hi gribb0....the 2day wallrun sounds good, im a beginner at ultras too..but i reckon over 2 days itd be ok....what date is it?
  • Options

It's 23rd and 24th June - camping ovenight which for me will be worse than the running / walkingimage

http://www.thewallrun.com/

• Options
    I'm going to the Wall Ultra as well, love the idea of splitting the distance over two days and camping.
  • Options
    Gribb0 wrote (see)

It's 23rd and 24th June - camping ovenight which for me will be worse than the running / walkingimage

http://www.thewallrun.com/

oh goodness. me too Gribb0..i dont do camping...anyone on this site that knows me knows i cant live without me hairdryer and nailvarnishimageimage

id rather run 30miles than sleep in a tent...boo hooimage

• Options
    I'm considering doing it in one go, no camping then.
  • Options
    imagewell, that would be my other option...but more painful
  • Options

Hi all, new to forums and stuff so please forgive any oversights in etiquette.

I'm seriously considering The Wall also (as in will enter today if I'm going ahead with it).  I only really started running summer last year, I have a 10k and two halves so far.  I'm doing the GNR in a few weeks time.  I've wanted to do an Ultra since reading "Born To Run" by Chris McDougall, that book has a lot to answer for.

Due to costs I was thinking of giving it a crack in one day.  On the face of it 65 miles is a long, long way (tip: don't try plotting it on google maps then zooming out!) but the way it is broken in to stages makes it seem quite feasible.  First stage by lunch, second by tea time, third by nightfall (will be around 2200-2230 that time of year) then the fourth and fifth during the night/morning (dawn will probably be around (0400-0430).

Am I deluding myself here?  There's a marathon in Manchester at the end of April I was going to include in my training, also having looked at some other threads, I was thinking of including some trail walks.  I've been on the Long Distance Walkers Association website and there are a couple of long(ish) trails where I'm situated in the Leeds area.  Leeds - Shipley is ~13 miles, Leeds - Ilkley is ~17-20miles plus the return journeys.

So am I mad?

• Options

Howdy all, am also new to ultra running and have been eyeing "the wall" with intent.

I am not new to running/ fitness but have only recently (last 6 months) started doing organised events. The next one in the calendar is the Nokia coast to coast challenge (http://www.scotlandcoasttocoast.com/) in a couple of weeks time, with my first marathon planned for early next year in Barcelona. Would have chosen to do the mara sooner but agreed to do it with a friend who lives out there so it kinda made sense to wait an extra couple of months.

As mentioned was thinking of the wall 2-dayer in June but also fancied the haworth hobble (http://kcac.co.uk/kcac-events/haworth-hobble/) 32 miler in March as a run-in. Problem being as I have never done a mara before have no idea of how long to leave for recovery before what could potentially be my first ultra.

Any tips?

• Options
    im guessing that a first ultra  of 30miles will take about 3 weeks recovery, thats what id allow myself, with maybe one small run of 5 miles at the end of week 1 recovery and another 5-6 days later to prevent or help DOMS...from  a march ultra to doing the next in june should be fine. where is the haworth hobble? id ike an ultra around springtime as my deadcert ultra isnt until sept 2012.
  • Options

Ooh ooh ooh, Haworth hobble looks good and in my backgarden too.  No mention of when it will be in 2012 though.

I'm not sure what the climate in Barcelona that time of year is like Roger but I struggled to maintain my mileage when I was in Portugal last Christmas because of the low humidity.  I drank way more too despite it being about the same as our early autumn.

• Options
    FWIW I expected to need weeks to recover from the Lakeland, but was running (gently) two days later, with no major issues. Back to something resembling speedwork after about a week.
    I have been doing more cycling than running since, though - just to make sure I don't push anything to breaking point (that, and I have the Manchester 100 bike ride this weekend image )
  • Options

Spoke to the chappy organising it and he said it will be at the same time in 2012 as it was in 2011, he expects to have the updated entry form etc done in about a week.

The temp shouldn't be an issue in Barca at that time of year, but fair one on the humidity. I sweat like a scoucer in the dock irrespective of conditions and am therefore never far separated from my 3L camelbak so I recon I should be ok but cheers for the heads up.

Might take some isotonic tablets with... image

• Options

Joining in a bit late. Another "would like to ultra" here - ever since I read about the Lakeland 50 a few months ago. Longest race so far is HM - done a bit further in training (maybe 15 miles). Been recovering from injury so building up slowly, but I'm at nearly 30 miles/week with a 11 mile long run, so far. Intending to keep increasing mileage gradually (with some easier weeks), then go for the back-to-back weekend long runs, and see how I go.

Any suggestions for starter-ultras? I live Kent/south-east London, unfortunately (so my Lake District training is going to be limited). I did wonder about the London 50K, but I'm not sure I can be ready for February if I'm going to continue being sensible about building up my mileage slowly (four months off with extensor tendonitis & stress fracture has me not wanting to repeat that sort of injury). I'd been thinking maybe aim for a spring marathon, summer 50K, then a 40M or flat 50M before training for the Lakeland 50 in 2013. Sensible (as far as ultra running is sensible)?

• Options
    50 Mile Challenge at Marshside Kent is a good friendly starter.  It is held mid July and on a relatively flat mixed surface. It consists of 8 laps of about 6.5 miles.  You do not have to do the full distance and there are medals for 30 and 40 miles finishers as well.
  • Options
    8 laps????????????????? imageimage
  • Options
    hi Debra, your training/races sounds same as mine.....how about jw ultra next sept?
  • Options
    JW Ultra sounds like a possibility - or I may look for something earlier than that (or both). Thinking of looking for a charity place for Brighton (my running club will be doing marathon training leading up to London; I might as well take advantage of it), try to get some solid grounding for the next few months (maybe add some back-to-back long runs in), then go for ultra after that.
  • Options
    loulbell - not as bad as it seems - it means you can dump your gear, or just dump, at the start/finish point so don't have the worry of what to carry, where is the nearest loo/bush stop.  Really friendly marshals en route and Mike - the organiser - is a great bloke.
  • Options

Debra Bourne

The London ultra is a good starter event with just about every terrain type.  If you are not ready for it then there are a number of nice events close to where you live going into the spring/summer. 

The Compton Downland Challenge in April is a nice event, and well suited to preparing for the Lakeland 50. 

The Northants ultra 35 in June was my first ultra and is a good starter ultra.  Both of these events are well suited to developing the skills and tactics that you would use in longer events. 

There are pleanty more, but I have only commented on events that I have personally done. 

• Options
    the northants ultra maybe a good one for me, as relativly nearby...and may consider Kent though too
  • Options

i havn't run seriously for about 6 years or so, wanted get back into it with a goal and only ever done loads of 10k and half marathons...oh and one marathon.

so as a challenge i've put in for the druids challenge.......i know, its a tough one apparently?

loving the training and learning how my body reacts....nutrition and loads of hills and miles.

good luck image 

• Options
    Just catching up with this thread for some advice if poss, I have been running a few years now and after having a hamstring injury which has set me back a bit this year, I am building up my fitness again. I have done a few 10k's and half marathons (road) and the Yorkshireman half which was actually just over 15 miles last year which I loved, I am hill fit as me and the other half go into the hills in the lakes/snowdonia/alps fairly regularly but my dream really is to get into Ultras and a mountain marathon (my nav skills are good) but I don't know where to start.

I love being off road/trails but where we live is pretty flat so don't get much option to train on hills.

Can anyone recommend a good off road marathon, ultra for a novice, mountain marathon that would be a good starting point for me?, I don't want to aim too high too soon and take on something that is just beyond me. I reckon with my current fitness level I could probably run about 15 miles before burning out so know I would have to put the training in, I just want a few options of a good starting race to tackle, I have absolutely no interest in doing a road marathon (which is probably why I have never done one) but have always been nervous of taking on an off road mara for feeling I would be left for dust!

Meant to say, I live in Yorkshire so anything in this sort of area, North of England would be my idea