Options

Edinburgh Marathon 2012

Comments

• Options

Hi Tracey,

An almighty challengeimage - am sure everyone here will be right behind you, I went from nothing to Marathon in about a year and have loads of tips so will help you along!

• Options

Thank you Miggito image

Will definately be in need of a few of them. 

• Options
    Big challenge get started today would be my advice!all the best.
  • Options
    How fast did u run six miles in?
  • Options

Hi mcs

I ran 6.13 miles in 1 hour and 8 mins

• Options

Hi Tracy, Miggito and mcs welcome aboard image

Had a great weekend in the Lakes thanks Franny, Friday afternoon was nice and sunny but Saturday was damp to start then got progressively wetter!

Still managed to conquer Helvellyn via Striding Edge in very wet and poor visibility. At about half way up the weather closed in and visibility went down to about 20 yards. Probably did me a favour as you couldnt see the sheer drop going over Striding edge, only downside was not having any view at the top was a bit sureal, like a spooky moonscape. It was so misty we missed the path off the top onto Swirral edge so ended up going a longer way round back down to Glenridding.

My legs felt a bit stiff today but im going out for a run tomorrow as i really need to back out there and start building up some miles.

Have a good evening all

• Options

Morning everyone...

Shame about the weather in the lakes Jonesy but glad you had good time....hope the legs are not too stiff today and you manage to get out your run.

Tracey.....I went from running the 8mile part of the marathon relay to doing the whole thing the following year so it is possible as long as you are sensible about the training....happy to give you  any advice if needed.

Hi Duffs,Mcs,Mittigo...Have a good day folks.....................

• Options

Hey everyone - glad to see it getting nice and busy. Bad day at work yesterday meant some chocolate and ten pin bowling instead of a run but stuff is already in the boot of the car for straight after work tonight. No excuses this timeimage.

Tracey - when I did my first marathon I was the same as you - I did the women's 10k in May one year and did the Edinburgh Marathon in May the following year so it is doable. As Franny says some sensible training and you'll be grand - do you have a plan to follow?

Good luck all (32 weeks to go image)

Duffs

• Options

Love the lakes, did Hellvellyn twice in one day last year beautiful mountain but just getting too popular now.

Tracey you sound as though you are reasonably fit already just get a schedule from off this site and away you go...........do write down your runs in a diary or on a site log so you can read back and see how you have improved. All the best with your training, but do get into it now.......as long winters mean time out and the odd cold or injury you can lose time.

Must sign up before too late. Ran a five miler into work this morning to start this weeks training off, did 11 on Sunday so abit stiff in the legs. 31 last week my total.

All the best for your training all, now where is the Edinburgh application site..........image

• Options

Hi All,

Lunchtime image

I'm feeling like a wee bit of an imposter as I'm not doing any running / training at the minute but all this running talk is keeping me motivated! I made a conscious decision yesterday to stop eating rubbish after my dinner so had a cup of green tea for the first time in years last night - was disgusting lol!

Duffs - 32 weeks to go, indeed - will be here before we know it! Suppose it gives us plenty time to get used to the idea - I don;t mind the Marathon so much - it's trying to squeeze in the LSRS before it!

Off to check out Garmins now - as tight as I am I think I could do with one to help with HR/pacing - anyone here got one / alternatives to recommend ?

• Options

I have the cheapest one available 205 , no heart monitor with it but I have a timex watch with  a HR but cant stand the thing as it drops down, I have got to skinny with all this running lark, but wouldn't be without the Garmin its brilliant for mileage and times.  Cant do with Green Tea ugh, prefer my Nespresso machine on my desk at work. image

• Options

Hi all

My legs survived the Lakes and managed to get out for a 3 mile run last night, first for about 3 weeks. It felt pretty good Id meant to take it easy but i probably went a bit quick as it was more like a tempo run.

Miggito, Ive got a Garmin 110 with heart monitor, pickrd up from Amazon for about £120, works really well and does all the basics. I enjoy looking back at all the stats as i find it helps to motivate me.

Duffs, 32 weeks image sound scary when you look at it like that.

Tracey its my first Marathon as well and Im still looking around for a decent training plan, I'll probably just go for one of the Runners world ones and tweak it a bit. The only thing I've found with them is that the pace they give for a long run is always a fair bit slower than i would normally do over distance.

If anyones got any thoughts on this id be interested to hear them.

mcs, im with you on the Nespresso, have one at home, propper coffee.

• Options

Cheers MCS / Jonesy,

I wasn't sure about the heart monitor as it looks a bit fidgety and uncomfortable but havent managed to see anything you don't need to strap round yourself? Had a quick look at the 110, seems quite reasonably priced in comparison to the 405 for example and I'm not quite sure what the differences are? Needs more investigation I think!

Still no running for me, my green tea didn't last long - swapped it for a few beers and crisps last night (football was on so had an excuse image) I can see my belly returning already though - ah well, will run it off in November!

Jonesy - the biggest mistake I made with my Marathon training was doing exactly that - running too quickly on my LSRs - purely because I felt I could!  Next time I'm going to slow it right down as the training plan suggests though as all advice seems to be pointing in that direction. I know it's easier said than doine though!

• Options

Afternoon....

I have to agree with Mittigo....Jonesy......Long slow runs should be slower than you normally run at that distance and I sm going to follow this advice this time round.......and run my middle distance runs and shorter ones at a faster pace.......I think the reason behind going long and slow is to get your musles used to going a long distance at a slow pace......something to do with glycogen or something like that..all to complicated to work out but thats what all the advice says so it must be right........LOL As Mittigo says its easier said than done...........cos if your like me you just want to do all your runs fast.

Got out and did 5.59 miles today...........was a bit wet and drizzly .......

laters folks.......................

• Options

Afternoon,

Well i am not a happy bunnyimage Think I am going to have to take my new shoes back as I wore them on a 5.6 mile run yesterday and I didn't like them at all...they feel comfy and snug but oh they sound awfly slappy when my foot strikes the ground and then last night my left leg got a niggly pain again........mmm the girl in the shop did say they would take a wee time to get used to them BUT surely I do not need to endure pain whilst breaking them in....I sort of noticed this the day before yesterday when i wore them to the gym but yesterdays run has really confirmed it.Also i did an experiment at the gym this morning...tried a run with my new ones....very noisy and did not feel bendy enough...tried my other ones which i got in a JJB sale very cheap....a month or so ago and they felt much better and  were alot quieter...However they are a neutral shoe (got them before my gait analysis) Think Iamgoing to back to Sweatshop and explain my predicament and try some others..........................

How is everyone else today..................... It's nearly Friday.....Yayyyyyy

• Options

Afternoon

Franny...thanks for your thoughts on the pace issues, i think I'll give the slow runs a go, I just have it in my head that if i run slowly on a long run when i come to do a marathon I'll run slowly on that too.

sorry to hear about the shoe issue it sounds like the shop will be very understanding, its no point having something that's going to bug you every time you go for a run.

Is the gait analysis worthwhile? ive been thinking about it as i suffer quite a bit with an old ankle injury. ive broken it twice as a result of a motorbike accident about 20 years ago (leg now 2 inches shorter)and a rugby injury three years ago. Its amazing that i dont just run round in circles  image

Anyway, its bright and sunny here in London today so im planing a gentle run tonight

hope everyone else is in good shape.....

• Options

Quickly checking in , leaving work in 5 minutes - off on holiday till Wednesday image

Hi Franny - they will annoy you forever more - take them back, they'll understand!

Jonesy -  felt exactly the same way - the trick is to get your pacing right depending on what type of run  you are on. Don't worry, you will run at whatever pace you want to on Marathon day, all the gruelling training will surprise you! You've got plenty time to practise anyway...

Catch you all next week sometime image 

• Options

Cheers Jonsey and Miggito..............will take them back this weekend.Hopefully they will have some that suit me...may go back to my Nike lunar eclipse if they have them.had them this year when i was training for the marathon and got through it all without any injury.....just wasn't sure if they were the right shoe for me but now i have researched for my gait THEY were ok for me so i chose well.LOL

Jonesy...I know what you mean and as Miggito says you will run the pace you want on marathon day.....funnily enough i think we all think that cos we train slow we will run slow......just mix up the runs and you will be grand.....As for gait analysis......is it worth it? Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm well I suppose it gave me peace of mind knowing that I overpronate but to be honest i thought i did anyway but at least I know for definite..........It doesn't take long and it doesn't cost anything.......well only if you end up buying shoes but you don't have too........Might be worth doing if you are not sure what type of shoe you need especially as you will be upping your mileage quite considerably.......Hope you had a nice run last night......

Miggito......have a great weekend away.......

Happy weekend folks.......................Hoping to go to parkrun tomorrow................

• Options

Afternon

Franny - I'm going to give it some more thought before i decide on gait analysis, I'm definately going to get some new trainers before the end of the year as the old ones have done a few miles now,

Really enjoyed a gentle 3 miles last night and almost managed to run it at slow pace, it was more an inbetween so it was a bit tricky but having my garmin certainly helps with the pace.

I might be a bit weird but im already looking at where i can run  when i sart the 13mile plus mileage and actually looking forward to it image  Ask me again in March and I'll probably have different ideas lol.

Its looking like its going to be a good weekend here in the south so i intend to be out at least once.

enjoy your weekend runs....

• Options
    Good luck with your shoe exchange Franny. Still getting some runs in though so well done (a good excuse like that might excuse me from the gym for a bit)

Jonesy I would recommend gait analysis (if it's free). I got mine done about 5 years ago and they recommended a pair of asics. I have been buying the same shoes since then and have done 4 marathons and loads of halfs and 10ks and have never had any issues (touch wood). Worth it if the shop is decent I think.

Have a good weekend all and get some good runs in before the winter comes on Monday
    Duffs
  • Options

Afternoon

Yay Got my shoes exchanged...the guy was really helpfull and understanding.............so I now have nike zoom structure and they are much bendier and bouncy..........time will tell though and plan to go out tom for a run in them.....Asics were just not for me...........Went to parkrun this morning but time wasn't great as probably not on form from having the cold...well thats my excusre      LOL

Duffs...whats this about winter on Monday...........is it snow!!!!!! Saw loads of folk in asda buying snow shovels.......they were flying out the door....LOL

Jonesy.......If your buying new shoes i would recommend you get your gait analysed just so as you know its the correct shoe for you....

Hi everyone else...............happy safe Running...........

• Options
    Hi all,

I've signed up for Edinburgh as hoping the tagline of UK's fastest marathon is true. I've done 2 London Marathons and crashed and burned both times. I'm hoping I'll achieve my sub 5hr in Edinburgh.
    Going with friends but their all wimps and are doing the half instead;-)

TK
  • Options

welcome Troublesome Knees and good luck with your sub 5hr, one things for sure you will get lots of support and encouragement here.

Franny....good news with your new shoes hope they work out well for you, sorry to hear you weren't happy with your parkrun, but on the brightside at least you did it.

fingers crossed for the weather its been glorious down here today, not been out yet but am definately running tomorrow.

have a good evening all

• Options
    Thanks Jonesy

I've just carbed up ready for the Cardiff Half tomorrow, forecast looking like perfect running conditions and I'm really hoping for a PB as having been running the fastest I've ever done recently. Will be very happy with sub 2:10.

Just been reading a bit more of the thread, never had my gait analysis done but I've been buying nike pegasus since I started running 3 years ago and (touch wood) never even had a blister. I wouldn't do without my garmin though, best thing I've ever bought. Must go and charge it up ready for tomorrow!
  • Options
    Franny - warning here in Wales that this is the last nice weekend before the winter so getting ready here (heating on and probably the last washing out today image)

Managed a good week of running this week and hoping it wont go to waste as I am on a training course next week and will have to make a 30 mile round trip to get to the nearest gym as not keen on running in the dark in a strange town.

Good luck Troublesome Knees tomorrow - if you're doing 2:10 halfs now then a sub 5:00 in Edinburgh definitely do-able. Let us know how you get on

Duffs
  • Options
    Hi everyone, just thought I'd say hi! I've just signed up for the Edinburgh marathon, probably against my better judgement as I've always sworn blind that I'd never do a marathon but a couple of my friends are doing it and have got me thinking that it would be cool to do a marathon before my 30th bday! I do quite abit of running generally and have completed 5 half marathons to date (always finishing and saying yep I'll never do a marathon haha!), and I got a PB at this yrs GNR of 1.48 which I never thought I'd ever be able to get near so it's helped me reevaluate what I may be able to accomplish running wise! I suspect that this will be both my first and last marathon so I just want to get round & survive it!! Am hoping that hearing all about the training you guys are doing will keep me motivated & reassured for all those loooooong runs to come in the winter :/ is anyone here on Nike+ ? I know it's full of bugs & issues but I absolutely love it & the challenges and goals keep me really motivated! If anyone else is on there we could start an Edinburgh challenge image

Been skiving off the running abit since the GNR so going to startfitness today to look at running gear to kickstart me back into action this afternoon! Happy weekend running everyone image
  • Options
    Welcome soswalker glad to hear you've signed up for the big one! I am one of many though who did their first marathon and thought it would be my last, but for some reason when the email comes through that entries are open my debit card is out before I realise it - there really is no better feeling (apart from chocolate and/or vodkas)

Not on Nike+ but thinking of getting something like that (or garmin) on the christmas list. If anyone else has one then opinions welcome.

(32 weeks/224 days to go)

Duffs image
  • Options

Big welcome to Troublesomeknees and soswalker...................Good luck TK with the cardiff half today...hope you get your sub 2.10.....Sos walker...great time for your gnr half............and i'm sure you will be fine in the BIG M............

I use a garmin FR60 which i love and find it quite accurate...its not GPS but has the foot pod.......I just found the GPS ones too large for my skinny wrist so the FR60 suits me fine......

Been out in my new shoes today and they are fabby dabby....love them.....

Beautiful day out there  and yeah it looks all set to change tomimage

Have a nice one y'all

• Options

Afternoon all and welcome soswalker,

Duffs....  I used to use Nike + on my ipod, think i may still have the widget in my trainers, stopped using it when i got great trainer gps on my blackberry. ive now ditched that for the Garnin and have to say its really great. All said and done they have all been really helpful when it comes to trainng and motivation so as long as they keep you running i dont think one is any better than the other.

Franny.. glad your shoes are good and your happy with them.

been out today for a 5 mile run, still cant seem to slow down but plenty of time to work on it, if anything its given me confidence on just how fit i was (and still am to a degree) when i did the GNR.

Troublesome....hope your Cardiff HM went well and your happy with your time.

Hope evryones weekend was good

• Options
    wooohooooo!!!!! 2:06:59 and had to stop for a couple of mins due to excruciating stitch which I think may have been brought on by the gel without water as when I finally got to the water stop (via St Johns) took a few sips and all fine.

Was perfect weather today too. Knees holding up fine!

Thanks for all the welcomes;-)