Options

Edinburgh Marathon 2012

Comments

• Options
    Well done on your PB...fantastico time...........chuffed to bits for you....now take it easy and have a lovely evening.....
  • Options

Fantastic time TK well done!  image very impessive indeed.

• Options
    I've indulged in a Pizza Express (one of the low calorie ones!) and I'm already in my pj's!!

Now next task is to shift 10lbs over the next 6 months and keep the speed work going. Every race and training session now is prep for Edinburgh!!
  • Options

Hi everyone

I did the Loch Ness Marathon this year as my first marathon. Claimed I would never ever ever run another one as my hip was causing so much pain and yet less than 2 weeks later I have signed up for Edinburgh!!!!

My husband thinks I'm nuts but my kids are so proud. Have really got the running bug and miss my runs when I can't get out.

• Options
    Yay it keeps building.Big  welcome to blondone.we all say that...it is an addiction
  • Options
    Hi all, just discovered this thread.

I signed up for Edinburgh a while back and, like a lot of you, this will be my first marathon. I've done a few 10K's and a couple of halfs and I'm planning to do the Norwich half at the end of November then start the marathon training shortly after that.

I always said I would never do a marathon but just somehow feel compelled now - I'm not going to be too bothered about targeting a time, I'm just going to focus on building up the distance / endurance slowly with the aim of completing the training and the race injury free!

If nothing else I'll have some motivation for winter running!
  • Options

I've signed up for this a week agao and like a few others it's my first attempt at the marathon, so i'm a bit nervous but fairly confident by sticking to a training plan i'll be ok.

Was hoping a few of the more seasoned edinburgh runners wouldn't mind me asking where they would recommend someone staying if they are bringing wife and kids up, fairly young 2 &4, yes i know i'm a glutton for punishment but it was kind of one of the conditions image

Obviously i'm a bit restricted as a lot has already gone and it's pricey but i'm looking at staying nearer to the finish to make it easier for the boss.  Wondered if people thought that would be more hassle or not too bad.  Been up to Edinburgh plenty of times so not too worried about being a bit more out of it there and it means we can park which is a bonus.

Will be great to follow how others are getting on and motivate me.  My running was going well until last 2 weeks an annoying cold that has gone on to my chest and won't go but hopefully not long.

cheers

• Options

Thanks for all the welcomes image looking forward to being able to hear about everyones training and hopefully keep each other motivated / give sympathy when the weather is horrid! It's nice to hear from all the other first timers so I don't feel like the odd one out, but also great to have the experience and hopefully reassurance from all you seasoned pros too! image

Just read about the guy who completed the Toronto marathon at the age of 100 so that has reassured me it is possible!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Options

Afternoon folks and hello to CB69 and Emerton99.

Been a bit busy so haven't been on much. Emerton...how are you planning on getting from Mussleburgh on the morning of the race...would certainly be better at the finish if your family were there..i think anyway..

Gulp... I am going to my very 1st running club meetin on wednesday...I hate going to new places  but am sure they will be friendly..wil let you know how it all goes......

• Options
    Thanks for the welcome, the hotel i've provisionally booked apparently arranges taxi's on the race morning so that's the plan at the moment but obviously could change.

Hope the running club goes ok, i've been meaning to join a particular one near me but keep putting it off. I'm sure it will be fine.
  • Options

Evening all and welcome Blondone, CB69 and Emerton99

Great to see some more activity and first timers to share the aprehension with.

Ive sorted a Travelodge in a fairly central location so only have to worry about the journey back, has anyone used the official shuttlebuses?  I'll have some spectators with me who will want to get to the finish.

went out for a gentle 3 miles tonight, got out early before it got dark but that may be my last midweek run in daylight for a while.

Franny...good luck with the running club,

• Options

Morning,

Emerton..thats great that the hotel providesa taxi service...that is probably the best move as it ius quite busy getting back into town.

Jonesy...have you booked your shuttle buses....its just i would probably do that as it gets very busy..its even busy with the shuttle buses and the other buses will have been diverted and all that rubbish...or look at getting the train.....not sure how busy that gets though????? But def get something booked for you and your spectators...I am sure you can get spectator passes aswell.....

BFN folks

• Options

Wow - go away for a few days and loads of new folks join - hello all image

I'm still not running - or doing anything yet. The most exercise I'm getting at the minute is looking at new running shoes and Garmins on the web. I might go for a wee 30 minute cycle on Monday, depending how I feel. I've had a bit of an issue with a pain on the top of my foot and I'm not quite sure it's away yet. It's more a niggle than an injury but sore enough for me to know I should not be running. Been resting for a couple of weeks now though and I'm getting bored. I was reading the RW  "everything you need to know about running" book last night so that helped me at least start thinking about it again!

Anyway, it's getting cold out there - hope you're all getting wrapped up - I'm going to have to blow the dust of my leggings and get them on for when I do go out.

Soswalker - I saw that too - he didn't take up running until he was 80 or something so there'e hope for us lot yet!

Emerton - I'm not sure if you're up making a weekend of it in Edinburgh but if you're just staying the one night for the race I would suggest the Premier Inn or something else in New Craighall (not sure there is such a thing as a hotel in Musseslburgh). As Franny says, you're family will be there at the finish but you'll need to get yourself into Edinburgh. If you're making a weekend of it, I would stay in the centre at the Apex and then you're wife and kids can drive to meet you at the finish. There's plenty places to park in Musselburgh - just not much else image

Having written all that I've just read that you are provisionally booked anyway lolimage

• Options

Jonesy,

I would agree with Franny, if you don't want the hassle of trains / buses then I would get your shuttle bus passes asap as they will sell out quickly.

However, it's easy enough to get back into Edinburgh on the trains, I'm just not sure how regular they run.

As I don't live too far away, I'll just get my wife to drive through and pick me up - if she's not completely sick fed up of me running/training/talking about running etc by then image 

• Options

Thanks very much for the advice it's much appreciated and has made me think about a few things.  Not 100% but we're probably going to make a weekend of it, the wife just didn't fancy doing a bus on her own with 2 & 4 year old!!  Which was the reason for staying near the finish, however it's a booking i can cancel at any time until 24 hrs so worth checking other options. 

Didn't realise there would be plenty of parking in Musselburgh so thanks Miggito for that option, we're definitely thinking of driving up so we can go somewhere on the way back as it's half term the next week.  Will check out a few more options but thanks again.

• Options

Hi guys!

I have just signed up for the Edinburgh Marathon and yes I am 1st timer!

Need a bit of advice. Been chatting to an experienced runner and he has told me that I should be able to hit a time of 3hrs 30 mins!!!! I am a very active person who plays semi pro football.....but the only races i have done are 5km (I currently am doing them in 20 mins).

Is a time of 3hrs 30mins a bit too adventurous?

Ps I love a challenge and I would love to be able to do this time!

Hope everyone is doing well and look forward to sharing our training ups and downs over the next few months!

• Options
    Hi all, glad I joined this thread now as had no idea re the shuttle bus.

Jonesy - I'm staying at the central travelodge too.

POD84 - welcome, from my relatively short marathon experience there's no harm in setting yourself a target however have an a/b/c plan. A will be your 3hrs 30, b sub 4, c finish;-) My first marathon I had to revert to plan c, this year I did planb so I'm hopeful that in Edinburgh I'll finally get plan a!!

Franny - hope the running club went well.
  • Options

Morning all!

Franny - how did you get on? I was thinking about joining a club next year but really waiting to see how time allows with family / work commitments but would be good to hear if you feel it would be worthwhile?

POD84 - if you are running 5k in 20 minutes then on that basis it is doable - however 26 miles is slightly longer imageand will use your running leg muscles a lot more than your football leg muscles - if that makes any sense! With the right training between now and May though I'm sure you'll do sub 330 no problem! I'm also guessing from your name that you were born in '84 which would mean you would be a spritely 28 on Marathon day? If that's the case I'm 10 years older than you and I'm going for a sub 330 too - so there's motivation for you - don't let the old guy beat you! However, I ran my first Marathon this year in 4.27 (was going for sub 340) so things do go wrong - I really shouldn't have ran as I was injured but thought what the hell and did it anyway and I'm not beating myself up about it! Just like TK above with Plan C - still felt good to say I had ran a Marathon and just leaves you hungry for improvement!

• Options
    Hmmm., I hadn't even thought of transport or accommodation yet, I guess I better start looking into logistics, I haven't even looked at the route or start / finish points - I'm terrible for leaving things to the last minute! This weekend the planning starts...

Had a very nice 13 mile run this morning: bright sunshine and blue skies, definitely colder though, was back in long sleeves for the first time since February.
  • Options

Welcome POD84.......sounds like good advice and a plan from Miggito.

CB69...I would say yeah you had better get planning...the shuttle tickets and accomodation will go real fast. Well done on your 13 miler and agree it is much colder now.

Went to the running club for the 1st time last night and thouroughly enjoyed the experience.They were all super friendly...and seemed to be 2 groups..beginners and intermediate...The beginner group were only doing ashort run so i thought I'd go for glory and ended up running 9.5 miles with an interval session in the middle which consisted of running fast ----in my case trying to run fast---- for 1 mile..then rest....repeat...rest...repeat and then run back to where we met which I hav to add was mainly uphill. All in all a good run and it was nice running withb other people....I certainly would not have run last night on my own..I am going to go back next week again...don't have to commit by paying util I see if I like it???? o thats good but I think I will and am glad I took the plunge.....

Been out for a run of just under 4miles just cos it was such a nice day...well it was..its now raining....

Hope everyone is well.........

• Options
    wow that's one hell of an intermediates session - our club has 4 groups, beginners, inters, advanced and elites, what your describing is more what the elites do!

I've not made it out tonight - off for a running club social instead;-)
  • Options
    Franny, Glad you enjoyed your running club, it sounded like a tough session! Always good motivation to have other people running with you.

An easy 5 miles for me this morning, then lunch with a friend image

Half term next week: totally messes with my running!
  • Options

Morning Folks.....

How are we all today?

Yeah just had feedback on facebook for my 1st run club session and apparently it was a tough one.....so glad I managed to keep up with them....LOL and that it wasn't only me who thought it was tough...I just thought that was what they did LOL...

Just a gym session for me today.....

Have a good weekend...........I am working though ....Booo

• Options

Also my first Marathon will be Edinburgh. Really gutted I didn't get into London again! (4th Rejection so can only be rejected once more then I'm inimage from the old ballot system) and wanted to run a marathon before the big 40.

Currently trying to  get past a niggling groin injury (from footy I think), which doesn't stop me running but does hurt a bit afterwards for a few hours then settles, so just doing 2/3 easy runs  at the moment with some Mountain Biking but probably need todo nothing for a couple of weeks to let it clear up, so hard to do though!.

Next event for me is the Helsby half (4 Villages) at the end of Jan & then maybe the  Liverpool Half in March.

Looking at coming up to Scotland a few days before the marathon and probably renting a house further north on the coast or something & train in on the day. That's the half baked plan at the moment!

• Options

Evening all,

hope everyones well and looking forward to the weekend.

Franny...glad that you enjoyed your first running club experience, quite a baptism of fire! you should be ready for anything after that.

Welcome Pod84 and KingKenny, another casualty of the London balot, London's loss is Edinburgh's gain.

Managed a gentle 3 miles tonight, didnt go too mad as ive got a game of rugby to play tomorrow.

Good luck to anyone running this weekend

• Options

Morning folks and welcome kingkenny...

Just been out for a wee 3 miles this morning...legs still a bit tired after that club run on Wed night...LOL

Jonesy....well done on your gentle run...be careful with the rugby...don't want you gettin injured now.....

Have a good weekend and happy running or racing image

• Options

Hi all,

Well done on signing up for Edinburgh and go easy with the training!

Emerton99 - I ran Edinburgh in May 2011 and stayed in Musselburgh.  The B+B was called Arden House, 26 Linkfield Road, Musselburgh, EH21 7LL - tel no. 0131 665 0663 (Mrs Linda Hamilton).  I would highly recommend staying here as it is on the same road as the finish and also opposite the Racecourse (which hopefully next year they will finish at the Racecourse).  Also, the runners run along this road at approx 9 mile mark so your family can encourage you at this point and at the finish.  I would definately stay here again if i ran Edinburgh Marathon again.  I also think that if it's your 1st Marathon you wont want to struggle getting a shuttle bus back into the centre of Edinburgh after running 26 miles and esp with two little children (just my personal opinion though!).

The owners are very friendly and accomodating.  They provide a mini-bus (cost £3.00 each but this does depend on how many runners are on the mini-bus) to the start on the morning of the race and you leave the B+B at approx 8am.  Runners have an earlier breakfast (take your own porridge if you are used to a certain brand) and when you have set off your family can go back and have their breakfast if its too early for them to have theirs at 7-7.30am.

The rooms are very spacious and spotlessly clean.  We paid £75.00 per night B+B (twin) and we had to book for 2 nights.   Musselburgh itself was fine - we went out for a walk and a meal the night before the run and booked at a local indian restaurant after the marathon (less than 10min walk from Arden House).

Hopefully they will have the finish line at the racecourse next year as the finish area in May was a bit of a shambles! sorry!!! However, I did enjoy the Marathon itself and the drinks stations and support on the way round was fantastic. Last six miles were tough like others have said because of the high winds.

If you need any more info let me know!

Julie26

• Options
    Just to confirm that the finish line is not going to be at the racecourse but where the charity village  was placed this year in the grounds of Pinkie school......I think...Got an email from edinburgh marathon saying this earlier this month.
  • Options
    Thanks very much Julie that's really useful information and definitely sounds a good option.

If I could only shake this damn chest infection/cold/man flu i coould get back out running. Was feeling good and running well until signing up and ever since i've had this lurgy, think i've cursed myself!!
  • Options

Evening all

Its been a glorious weekend down south, perfect running weather. Hope its been good for everyone else.

Was inspired by watching the Great Birmingham run this morning, it looks like quite a nice event. I love to watch Haille run his smile is so infectious.

Couldnt resist going out for a 3 mile run this afternoon as it was so sunny and my legs felt good despite playing rugby yesterday. Ended up doing it at my half marathon pace and felt really comfortable.

Waiting to hear if ive got a place in the national lottery, Olympic park 5 mile run in march. Anyone else entered?

have a good evening