Options

HADD training plan

Comments

• Options
    Brian61Brian61 ✭✭✭
    GG, Not sure on the value (or the sense tbh) but credit is due to your ba**s! Well toughed out in those conditions and the Best of Luck to the sub 2:50 campaign.

Chickadee, think I understand the problem. Cheers for the mental picture image
  • Options
    Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭

imageimage

GG  ... mad decision but a great result!! Enjoy the rest! image

Chick ...agree that those 10M ILTHR sessiosn are the secret.image

Well, I think I'm fixed. Four 5M runs last week and 11.5M yesterday. I'm going to throw in plenty of rest days (rest from running ... I will still bike and/or swim) to make sure I stay fixed.

• Options
    Brian61Brian61 ✭✭✭

Good news DrD.

5miler for me in the sunshine, yes - SUNSHINE!!!! Lovely. Legs were a tad heavy but all-in-all felt good.

• Options

Last Sunday's marathon resulted in almost a 12 min PB, finishing a mere 12 seconds over the 4hr mark. I blame my watch, having set the virtual partner and tried to stay with it. Unfortunately the watch measured the course differently and the rest is history. I'm still really happy though and the speed at which I ran the first 21 miles all around where I wanted them, the last 5 were a struggle but still happy enough. If it hadn't been for the 2 toilet stops inside the first 12 miles I'd have got in under 4. Next time image

For me, Hadd has really worked, although I've cut back to 4 runs a week. Distance is at least the same as other programmes I've followed but the time on feet is greater. Now for upto a month away from running while the niggles heal, then back at it in June as I prepare for way below 4hrs at Frankfurt in October.

• Options
    Great effort SRM ..I love it when a plan comes together...I've decided to adopt a combined Hadd/Lydiard approach and my plan over the next 9weeks is to work up to a 100mile week (all at 145bpm or less) I got this from Barsnley Runner on another thread.. If that doesn't start to build an aerobic base then nothing will... I'll reassess then and see if I follow the rest of Lydiard and look at a block of hill running for strength followed by a sharpening phase. GG
  • Options
    Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭

imageBarsnley Runner was coached by "Hadd", so he's experienced the real deal. Good luck with the 100mpw build up!

• Options

Hey guys

I came across the HADD training philosophy like many of you whilst browsing these forums and really want to give it a crack. I'm no Mo Farah but enjoy running and have time on my hands to stick to a decent 4-6 month training programme. The idea of starting from scratch, building a decent aerobic capacity and solid foundation really appeals to me as I suspect my current aerobic capacity is similar to a 90 year old asthmatic. My last HM was 1:52 with no real structured regime so I'm keen to make a good go of this to see where I can go. So, some of the information is fairly overwhelming and I'll admit to being a bit bamboozled by parts. My MHR is currently 188 and I plan on doing the 2400m test tonight and will post the results for your amusement!

One thing that I'm curious about is, and perhaps it's something I've missed, but how after the 2400m test (and already sustaining approx 50mpw) do you determine what sessions you should be running per week? Am I right in thinking you should be running 7 days a week (look forward to it if that's the case) and only 2-3 sessions should be 70-75% of MHR? Are the other sessions at a pace just below your LT? And how is this determined?

Lots of questions and I'll continue reading and searching but any insight would be helpful.

Thanks!

• Options

Hi Lee, as I understand it, 6 or 7 days a week if preferable, although I've only been doing 5 most weeks, sometimes 4, averaging around 45 miles a week, and I'm still seeing great results. If you're doing 6 or 7 days a week I think basically one of these should be a long run (done at 70-75% MHR), two should be working just below your lactate threshold (working up to 60-75 mins at this pace each session) and the rest should be easy runs. Please correct me if I'm wrong anyone!

Anyway, just popped back on here to post another success for my HADD training - a new 10k PB set today of 39:46, knocking nearly 2 and a half mins off my previous (admittedly soft) PB. Was amazed how I managed to sustain an average pace of 6:23mm despite doing no work anywhere near that pace and the vast majority of my running at 8:30-9:30mm for the last four months! image

• Options
    MokshaeightMokshaeight ✭✭✭

Hi all, yesterday ran Race the Devil trail race 18 miles, and was 21mins faster than last year. Far far exceeding my expectations, weather was pretty much the same as last year so had no bearing on the performance.  Its GOT to be down to HADD training. Cap it all, I felt comfortable all the way so more to come,me thinks.

Daren well done to you, feels good yes!

• Options

Congrats Daren, Roy ...awesome results.

• Options

Cheers GG! Great stuff Roy - another HADD success!

• Options
    Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭

Darren & Roy ... well done!!! image

• Options
    chickstachicksta ✭✭✭
    Dr.Dan wrote (see)

imageBarsnley Runner was coached by "Hadd", so he's experienced the real deal. Good luck with the 100mpw build up!

wow! Good luck, GG - hope the body holds up. 100mpw is serious stuff image

Daren: I've congratulated you on t'other thread - awesome image

Well done Roy! 21 mins - phwoar! That's some PB and a half image

• Options

Hey guys

3 runs complete at 65-70% MHR, which is 122-132 bpm and I'm currently averaging 13:30m/m! This can't be right surely.

Even if I look at an incline of anykind, my heart rate rises by 10bpm!

Someone please reassure that they were once this slow!

• Options
    Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭

Lee, it could be that you've underestimated your maxHR.

Anyway, 13:30/m is too slow ... I think you'd be better off running at "5K pace + 3 min" as advised by Hadd here (http://www.letsrun.com/forum/flat_read.php?thread=134124&page=1).

• Options

Thanks Dr Dan, appreciate the guidance.

The 5km pace +3min would come in at approx 11:20m/m which sounds better than the 'on all fours crawling pace' of 13:30.

My plan is to run 6-7 days a week. Couple more questions:

- Is the 5km pace + 3 min classed as the 'easy' runs?

- what pace / HR should I use for the Long runs?

Thanks

• Options

Hi Lee, do the long runs at the same pace as easy runs. In fact, at the moment, until you can get your pace below that 11:20mm at your correct Hadd HR (by the way, I think 65-70% MHR is a little low when you're starting this type of training - I still go by 70-75% MHR which I think is more realistic for most people) I'd do all of your runs at this 'easy' pace.

• Options

Just reading back Lee, you say your max HR is 188. In the original Hadd article I read, he didn't talk about %MHR but instead said to run your easy runs at 50bpm below your max, which for you would be 138, so your 122-132bpm runs were slower than necessary.

• Options
    Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭

image I just typed a long reply but the software crashed when I submitted it!

Need to get off home now ... I'll be back. image

• Options

thanks again for the useful advice guys.

completed another run tonight with an average HR of 140bpm and this felt much better, more like the zone I should be working in for this kind of training. it didn't feel difficult but my pace slowed during the 2nd half of the run to cater for the 140bpm, which I was expecting. i don't have the average pace to hand (had to come straight into work) but I'll post it later today, and the distance.

so a good session guys and certainly more positive feelings about this now that I feel like i'm working at the correct level.

thanks again

• Options

I am just coming back to running after a few years (not really ran since 2008 FLM).  Having added a significant amount of weight (approx 50lbs through lots of travel on company expenses over the past 3 years and no excercise) I've been inspired to get back to running.

I've read the 25 page HADD document and feel that this would be the right plan to take me forward and get some fitness back.

My question really is where do I start, I run at least 3 times a week (up to 10 miles at present) with an avg pace of around 10:30min miles.  I have been doing some interval training (up to 8 reps of 30s effort (avg 6 min mile pace) and 45s recovery) with approx 1 mile warm up and down.

Any advice would be appreciated (I intend to perform a max heart rate test this evening) so at least I can start HADD program on Sunday morning.  My target race is a HM in Sept.

• Options
    Brian61Brian61 ✭✭✭

Hi GB3 and welcome to the thread. My advice would be to shelve the intervals for now. Concentrate on building an aerobic base (which in turn will burn fat and hopefully remove some of your unwanted timber). Your approach should be to build time on your feet at low intensity. Add 5mins to your runs gradually over a period of weeks, attempting to get these 3 runs up to 70mins each. At that point try to introduce an extra session of 45mins. If (when) this is comfortable, you could increase one run to 90mins which becomes your long run.

Ideally, after again becoming comfortable, you could increase the number of sessions so as to get 6-7 hours of running in per week.

It sounds like it may take a few months of gradual progression to get to this point, but be patient and disciplined, and this will cut the risk of injury down to a minimum.

Good luck and keep us informed of your progress. 

• Options

Hi Im back.    I got impatient and did not follow this and ended up running to quick too soon and getting lots of niggles.   Going back to this to train for NDW 50 in August.

• Options
    Brian61Brian61 ✭✭✭

Spen, Good to see you back. As I said above, lots of patience, discipline and focus.

This is my 4th (and last) week of my recovery process. Looking forward to some proper HM training in the next few weeks, aiming at Burn Valley Half on July 1st.

Been keeping myself interested by doing some indoor rowing (Concept 2). Anybody else had a go? Gives a good buzz....

• Options
    Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭

I've had a couple of goes on a Concept 2 ... I like the idea of it as I reckon it provides a hell of a good workout but, as I'm not a gym member, it's not something that I coem across often.

Welcome GB3 and welcome back Spen.image

Well I managed to get around the Leeds HM in 1:41 ... 10M at a comfortable 84% maxHR and then 5K at what felt like 10K pace (7:20/m). A long way off last year's PB (90 min) but I was pretty happy seeing as I've only run 277 miles since the end of October. The strong finish was motivating and I'm also now convinced that I'm injury free and strong enough to start bulding up the miles again. The last 3 weeks have only averaged 27M per week, with additional swimming and bike commuting thrown in. The plan is to now build that up (cautiously) so that I'm doing around 45 per week in June and also re-introducing a weekly sub-LT session. Onwards and upwards!image

• Options

The problem what I found is that I listen to peoples times and think I can do that!

• Options
    chickstachicksta ✭✭✭
    spen71 wrote (see)

The problem what I found is that I listen to peoples times and think I can do that!

know exactly what you mean image. In my head I'm a much faster runner anyway...

Dr. Dan: well done on a strong comeback. Great news that you managed to put injury behind you.

Brian: out of curiosity, are you following HADD for your HM training? Not sure if there is such a thing like a HADD HM plan... am struggling with a "standard" HM plan with lots of tempo and speedwork which is a proper shock to the system after 3 months of plodding along comfortably image. My slow pace has become quite fast though. But tempo and reps are still things that hurt just a little too much for my liking image
    Can't say I enjoy indoor rowing. Found it rather boring but I'm not a gym bunny at all. Gimme outdoor running and cycling any day image

• Options
    Brian61Brian61 ✭✭✭

DrDan, Good confidence boosting run at Leeds. Sounds like you paced it perfectly. Reccyd it last Thursday with a mate from work who broke 90mins for the first time. Brought back memories of 1995 when I last ran it.

• Options
    Brian61Brian61 ✭✭✭

chickadee, No I tend to just make it up (anything HM and below distance-wise) as I go along. The only Hadding I do now is in base pre-marathon build-up. I know the components required to get faster over distance, and sling them together haphazardly (or join in with other peoples sessions). My next 2 races are hilly ones, so there will be an emphasis on hilly runs, or hill repititons. Mixed in with 3-4M tempos, and 3min intervals. Yes, I agree that tempo is probably the hardest type of training (and therefore the most neglected). If you can't do these in company, try the parkruns. Much easier to do the hard sessions either with people, or with a number on.