Options

HADD training plan

Comments

• Options

imagethanks Brian alot of hours but all done at easy pace and HRimage

Have been told to add some tempo sessions into my running as this would get my min per mile time down so will introduce them next week after completing 5 months of base phase . A bit vain i know but dont want to not see the month out like i have planned base phase till the end of march.image

HAPPY HADDING EVERYONE

• Options

imageGreat question . For the swim and bike i go for feel ie can i talk without having to gasp for air obviously  not for swimming but one thing hadd has taught me is feel, for pace and effort in the other 2 disciplines. There is a way of finding out youre max heart rate for the bike not sure about the swim, but i have never tried it . i never come in from any of the disciplines knackered i always have that  feeling i could do them again.image

• Options

Hi honeys, I'm back!

Nice marafun, L33 image

I've had a spate of minor niggles one after the other, which has completely banjaxed March for me, but I'm now back to it at lovely low HR; I'm giving up on attempting a time in either of my marathons, just going to use them as LSRs for my ultra jaunt.

For bike HR, I think about 10bpm lower than running max is considered about right; if you can get your HRM to read underwater and read the display while swimming, I think you're doing well image

• Options

Thanks for the reply Curt - I do a lot of MTB'ing and have done for years which is why I had a fairly good cardiovascular base when I started running - or so I thought image. Didn't want to undo all my HADD training when out on my bike so kept my HR < 140 Avg. Not sure how much of a crossover there is between bike & running fitness but you only have one cardiovascular system so there must be some benefit. The biggest difference I noticed is how much stronger my core is from all the running.

CH I had a pretty crap March running wise as well due to hip problems, veruccas and a blood blister under my big toe (ouch !!) and feel like crap whenever I go out running. Just got back from an undulating 9 miler Avg HR 140 and Avg Pace 10:56 so am slowly creeping back to the 10:40 ish pace I had at the beginning of the month. I think Garmin make a 610XT for triathalon that is waterproof but as you say reading the display whilst swimming could be a challenge !!

• Options
    macemace ✭✭✭

Well, this method seems to be doing the trick for me.

I've got no plan as such at the moment and am just running for the fun of it, clocking up anywhere between 15 and 25 miles a week.

Interestingly though i've gone from 71% HRav 11.30 m/mile 3 weeks ago , to 72% HRav 10.10m/mile last night.

I've lost 3 or 4 pounds in weight over those 3 weeks so i guess that will be partly responsible but it's given me enough motivation to continue. Next step is to get to the bottom of the tube and squeeze out some <70% stuff !!

• Options
    I'm back image and I don't just mean back on this forum like CH - Lol. As I have mentioned previously March has been a bit of a nightmare running wise with niggly little injuries and feeling like crap whenever I run. I went from 10:29 Avg Pace / 140 HR on 2/3 through an appalling 11:58 patch but ran 6 miles today at 10:24 Avg Pace / 139 HR. Now that I have come through my bad patch looking forward to making some steady improvements.
  • Options

Hi,hope all are well.

Today I had a nice supprise, my 5k park run this morn was 25.04 at 80%= 130 hr,from 27.05 for the same hr in January.

Quite pleased really

• Options

Well done Roy!  Good effort.

In terms of an update from me, it's been a slowish three and a bit weeks as I shake off the surprisingly lingering effects of the marathon.  Following a complete week off I ran a 6 and an 8 miler in week two, followed by a 9 and two 6's in week three.  Problem was that the last of those produced a niggling case of 'runner's knee' - annoying, really, considering I didn't suffer from it at all during my training.  I put it down to marathon 'wear & tear' and took another 5 days off.  Went for a fantastic 14km hike along the Amalfi Coast on Easter Monday, then set off for a 'touchy-feely' run yesterday lunchtime which yielded an excellent 6.5m with steady splits of about 9:30m/m for under 80% effort... and no knee issues.  Hurrah!  I'm going to take another couple of weeks to build up to something close to my pre-marathon mileage and then try and settle into 5 sessions a week for the summer - the missus wants her weekends back, so no Sunday LSRs for me for the time being!  The good news is that I should be able to get a couple of hours in on a Friday lunchtime, by starting work early, so am looking at doing 90/60/90/60/120 for my 7 hours of weekly HADDing.  My target?  Not sure, but the Florence Marathon in November looks really tempting image

Hi Zane, sorry for late reply, but Easter got in the way (busy at work and then busy vegging image).  In terms of Army PT, it's a difficult one.  Though I stand to be corrected, I'm not sure that regular sessions at intense rates (circuits, logs, stretchers, etc) will do you any harm, per say, but the problem is that for HADD to work, you will still need to clock up the miles and the time at HADD pace.  And therein lies the rub.  To improve your aerobic capacity (HADD base trg) you need to keep the HR down for sufficiently long sessions to build mitochondria - something that will not happen when you are being beasted along with everyone else.  So, if you can manage 3 or so formal PT sessions a week and the 7+ hours of HADDing, then fill your boots!  My only concern would be the risk of fatigue induced injury.  I did it for a couple of weeks at the end of last year by doing no more than 45 minutes at 70% before a session of circuits.  I then decided to concentrate on marathon training only and dropped the PT (where I am, in NATO, that's not a problem because it's not compulsory - may be more difficult for you).

Bottom line - whatever you do is a compromise (but that's life...).  If you want to improve your aerobic capacity, then you will need to train at aerobic effort rates (i.e. HADD) in addition to doing PT.  If you're not training for a specific target (i.e. a marathon, as I was) I suggest you give it a go for a couple of months and see what happens.  Beware of over-training, though - it's simply not worth picking up a long term injury.  I look forward  to hearing how it all goes...

Ciao, Ragazzi!

• Options
    macemace ✭✭✭

Nice update, 33

I can't speak from personal experience but i'd have thought a couple of weeks rest from running at least after a Marathon, especially your first ? 

I'm happily HADDING along at the moment in my own little world. I did a Sunaday am 10 miler ( my first ever !! ) a couple of weeks ago but i think i may have got a bit carried away and drifted the last couple of miles ( un-known territory !! ) and struggled to keep HR down especially as it was up-hill .. ended up at 73% HRav.

I did the same distance Sunday am just gone but changed the route. I avoided the hilly ( coastal) parts of the previous week's run and did a "flatter" route and slightly slower. Concentrated on keeping the HR down and managed HRav 68%. What i was particularly happy about was the mile splits all showed HRav < 70%.

So, i'll carry on for now running 20-25 miles a week including a 10 miler on Sunday and wait to morph into Superman image 

• Options

Hi Mace, I agree about the rest required, and yes it was my first!  I'm in no hurry to push things. image

I wouldn't worry too much about 'drift' as you up your LSR mileage - it's bound to happen.  The key, for me, was not upping it again until the last lot of drift was under control.  Sounds like you are approaching this in just the right manner - your first Sunday 10 miler is quite an achievement image.  The good thing is that you have many more 'firsts' to look forward to!  I still vividly remember my first 'Half'... my first '16', '18' and '20'... and not forgetting my first 'Full'.  The great thing about taking HADD seriously is that you are ready to step up to the higher distances, without pain or injury, when the time comes.  Simple as!

Without wishing to rain on your parade, however, Superman status might take a bit longer image, Brian, told me it could take 10 years to build a first class aerobic base... boo-hoo image.  Oh well, the main thing is to enjoy your running, as I did again today.  Keep up the good work!

• Options
    macemace ✭✭✭
    Well, I sure didn't feel like superman last night !!

My occasional running partner texted me to arrange a run. For some reason I didn't fancy it for the first time since I'd started Hadding but I reluctantly agreed to go. Before he turned up at my house I even nodded off for 10 minutes.

So, off we headed and after about 400 yards I glanced at the Garmin and I'm not far off 90% !! Eventually got down to 75% after 3 miles and by 4 miles I decided I'd had enough and jacked it in.

Not sure why this was but I think it was a combination of it turning bloody cold ( and me wearing a short sleeved tshirt for the first time this year ) and being a little off colour as I slept for a good 10 hours last night.

So, I minor blip I think .... Onwards and upwards.
  • Options

Mace, it could have been just a bad connection with your body and monitor.

I spent the first mile and half  this morn with my HR up, way- high but  I was running very slow, once I started to sweat the monitor settled down to what I knew it should be.

I find that HADD does not favour running in company, unless that person has the same max HR as you, which is very unlikley in most cases. Unless anyone knows any difference!

This morn 22 miles at ave HR 109 bpm, 11 min a mile, Its coming along slowly,very slowly.

• Options
    macemace ✭✭✭

I'm usually pretty careful with the connection, roy ... make sure the connection is lubdricated and nothing loose. Can't say i did anything different to normal in that respect. I felt rubbish all weekend and only this morning feel back to my normal self so i'm guessing that was the main reason ?

My running partner isn't Hadding, he just goes along with my pace. Although he'll sometimes pick it up a bit without me noticing then i have to rein him in. I do prefer to go on my own though for that reason.

What's your HRmax, roy ? 

• Options

Mace,glad you are back to your normal self.

I have trained alone apart from the occasional park run since the begining of the year,and I am running the Offas Orra this w/e with some trepidation, not sure why!

My max Hr 163 which I got from a 5 mile race at the end of last year. Have not done a HR test to confirm one way or the other.Work all % from 160 tho.

• Options
    Well, I am still Hadding away. I am still managing 5 runs a week, 30miles approx and a long run most weeks - I managed 10miles this Sunday in about 105mins. I'm not sure how much improvement there's been though. I still struggle to keep my HR down unless it's flat (can be a challenge) and I've certainly not seen a step change in ave speed for HR or rise in HR for same pace. Iwill be sticking with it for another few weeks, as I have a half marathon in May and I think this is helping me build my distance. However, come June I have some shorter distances to race so I'll need to do some speed work, although I'll still keep my HR down for longer runs. I can still hope for some improvements, can't I?
  • Options
    chickstachicksta ✭✭✭
    hi everyone - a quick post to say it's worked for me image

I posted on here in November when the intention was to use HADD type running over the winter season. Pneumonia followed by a hip injury got in the way but I resumed running mid January. I've stuck to the low HR stuff religiously and started to introduce some initial LT running about 4 weeks ago. At the weekend I ran a 5k time trial - and was VERY surprised to get 21:18. This is only 16 secs off my PB and it was a solo effort, not a race. I found it amazing and encouraging to be able to run so fast (for me anyway) off zero speedwork.

It's now time to introduce speedier stuff as my summer goal is a fast half in June and a marathon in October but for base training it was perfect.

Keep HADDing guys, it's worth it image
  • Options
    Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭
    image *like*             image
  • Options

As Chick has posted her HADD success story, I thought I'd add mine to give you guys some more encouragement that it can work and to stick at it!

I've been HADDing since the turn of the year, like Chick all low HR to start with and then adding some initial LT running over the past couple of months - I've been doing about 40-50 miles a week. I've seen my HADD tests improve considerably each time and my pace drop from about 9:15 for 150bpm at the start to around 8:30 for 145bpm now image. My Max is 196.

But I hadn't put it to the test in a race until Sunday when I ran the Bungay half marathon, which is quite a tough course, and ran 1:30:25 - a PB by over half a minute having done absolutely no speedwork and barely running faster than 9mm for the past 3 and a half months  image.

I'm going to stick with the HADD stuff for a while longer as I think there's still more base to build before I add speedwork back in later in the year.

• Options

Chickadeee,DarenF,

great results. One question tho, did you push yourself near to your max on these runs or sit back at a set HR? 

Impish37,

same for me ref-speed work but not till mid july.

Dr Dan,

glad you are still around.

• Options
    Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭
    image Still around ... but not doing much running! My ankle cleared up in Feb and I started to build up again. I put in a decent couple of weeks running in at the start of March. But then I got lurgied for 2 weeks ... and then aquired some pain in the arch of my foot which has meant April has been a wash out so far. I've been cycling regularly to keep things ticking over and plan to test the foot next week.
  • Options
    chickstachicksta ✭✭✭
    Hi Dr. Dan and Daren *waves* image

Sorry to hear about your setback Dr. Dan image hope the foot test goes well.

Didn't pay any attention to my HR at all on my TT and ran what I'd classify as comfortably hard. Certainly not flat out but then I struggle to motivate myself to run super hard when on a solo run. It's ok on the track doing reps but otherwise it's hard work to get anywhere close to race pace. However, very surprised to see afterwards that the average HR was only 165 (my max is 182). So, there is life in the old bird still image.  I dare say that in a race situation I may well have run a PB ... 
  • Options

Good luck with the foot test Dr Dan. Fingers crossed you'll be back running soon.

Hi Chick, fancy seeing you here! image

Roy, the HM was a proper raced effort - didn't wear my heart monitor because I didn't want something else to worry about! I set off with a 1:30 target as I'd run 1:31 in my last half. It felt very comfortable for the first 7 miles at least, and even though I struggled a bit in the last few miles my pace didn't drop off half as much as when I ran my previous PB, which suggests the extra HADD endurance did me good.

This is only my opinion, but I think HR, although a really good guide to how hard your body is working, is still only a guide so I wouldn't want to run a race by it. I'm pretty sure adrenaline etc. would pump it up a bit more than in a training situation and I'd end up holding back unnecessarily in the early stages to keep it under control. I have nothing to back that up btw, but that's just why I decided to run the HM without the monitor and run by feel/pace instead.

• Options
    Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭
    Yep, train to HR but race to pace. Possible exception is a marathon which is much harder to judge by pace (unless you've done lots).image
  • Options
    Thanks one and all for the replys.
  • Options
    Brian61Brian61 ✭✭✭

Chikadee/DarenF, Great results. Congrats on employing and sticking to the routine. Fully deserve the improved times for your commitment to the cause.

DrDan, Sorry to hear your continued tale of woe. Hope the foot feels ok on the next test run.

My target race beckons! I am at VLM Sunday hoping to pb at 50. The training has gone as good as it could have. I have no excuses.

• Options
    Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭
    Good luck Brian!
  • Options
    chickstachicksta ✭✭✭
    best of luck, Brian! Go and smash that old PB to pieces image
  • Options
    All the best for tomorrow Brian, and anyone who will be running the VLM,