Options

HADD training plan

Comments

• Options
    Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭

imageThanks.image

Alongside the usual LSR and easy running, I think a weekly 10M  ILTHR session (83% maxHR) and a second quality session that goes progressively from MP, to HMP, to 10KP over 6M (with additional wu and cd on each end) would do for me for a HM training plan.

• Options
    chickstachicksta ✭✭✭
    Brian. wrote (see)

chickadee, No I tend to just make it up (anything HM and below distance-wise) as I go along. The only Hadding I do now is in base pre-marathon build-up. I know the components required to get faster over distance, and sling them together haphazardly (or join in with other peoples sessions). My next 2 races are hilly ones, so there will be an emphasis on hilly runs, or hill repititons. Mixed in with 3-4M tempos, and 3min intervals. Yes, I agree that tempo is probably the hardest type of training (and therefore the most neglected). If you can't do these in company, try the parkruns. Much easier to do the hard sessions either with people, or with a number on.

I live in Germany ... no parkruns over here image.  I like the mixed-pace sesh that Dr. Dan describes. Guess I will build that into the plan somewhere and otherwise stick to bog standard tempo running and the odd rep session.

• Options
    Brian61Brian61 ✭✭✭

Germany eh? I'll have a word....image

• Options
    Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭

Which hilly races have you got coming up Brian?

• Options
    Brian61Brian61 ✭✭✭

I'm doing leg-1 of the Bradford Millenium Way Relay on 10th June (Shipley Beckfoot to Oxenhope), gorgeous leg thru Wilsden, goit stock falls, cullingworth and under the viaduct, denholme and thornton moor, then round Leeming reservoir and up to Oxenhope to finish. Beautiful views. Burn Valley HM on 1st July. Very "scenic" HM starting and finishing in Masham Market Square. Black Sheep Country.

What races are you booked in for?

• Options
    Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭

Sounds good Brian ... tough but good image. Have a Black Sheep and a Theakstons for meimage

I might do the Apperly Bridge Canter at the end of the month ... then I'm hoping to do the Eccup10 and Leeds Xpress Tri in July ... main aim for 2012 is the Chester marathon in October, so there'll be a few September outings too.

• Options

Ah Chester Marathon.   My first one last year and might do it this year too.   Doing Marine Corp one end of Oct so not sure.

• Options
    macemace ✭✭✭

Quick update from me

HADDing since early March now and have improved from 11:30-12:00 pace to 10:15 pace for same HR ( 70% ). I've gone from running 10m/week to around 30m/week for the last 5 weeks or so including a LSR of 10-12m at the weekend ... and trying to stick religiously to 70% which on the whole i've managed apart from drifting on my LSR.

A few weeks back i was itching to try something different but on Brian's advice i carried on and shortly afterwards i saw a marked improvement - my pace improved for the same HR and the drift i was seeing on my LSR reduced.

So, I started to feel pretty happy with my progress ( thanks Brian )

That is up until last week ... and since then my HR has been all over the place ( except yesterday's 5 miles where my HR was just 4 or so beats above my recent norm, but pretty steady )

Today's 6 miles saw HR splits something like 65%, 75%, 80%, 85%, 80%, 75% ( and the last mile was a steady up hill !!?? ) ... max for run was 93% , average 76%. Pace 10:30 ( so 15secs slower and 10bpm more than recent average )

So, i'm thinking that either the recent increase in temperature is playing havoc with me or maybe i need a rest. Or both. ( i probably cycle about 15-20 miles per week also )

Any thoughts gratefully received

• Options
    Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭

High temperature can make a big difference ... it affects some more than others. See what happens next week (it's not looking so hot! image).

• Options
    MokshaeightMokshaeight ✭✭✭

Hi all,

ran a race last w/e on the isle of Jura, thought it would take me 5 to 5 and a half hours [ middle of the field ]. Well it took me nearly 7 hours the heat got to me and did I suffer. My HR was all over the place.

• Options
    macemace ✭✭✭

Well, today's run after a couple of days rest has blown everything out of the water.

5miles

HRav  92%

HRmax 102% - so my max was above that which i got from my max test in March (when i felt like i was going to pass out after 4 or 5 hill reps ). The only thing i did differently today was to run the middle mile about 1m/m faster than normal which is where the max reading came from.

Started off ok but after half a mile my HR went up and up... and up .... and up. I really don't understand how after having consistent HR readings/paces for 3 months everything can change so dramatically for the same pace.

The other option is that my Garmin is playing up ?

• Options
    Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭

How are we Hadders? Bit quiet in here!image

I'm gradually getting somewhere now, after a frustrating year. Thursday I did a hard 10K trail race ... Saturday a 20:42 parkrun (6:39/m) on tired legs... Sunday a 14.4M LSR at 67% maxHR at 9:33/m.

My running mileage is still quite low in Hadd terms, but I'm feeling reasonably fit and have been cycling and swimming to compenstae for the low mileage. So, as planned for the start of June, I have today started to introduce the ILTHR sessions. This is the  first proper/organised attempt at a "session" since my come-back. Today was 7.5M total, with 6 laps of the park (6.24M) at a target HR of 145 bpm 81.5% maxHR). Overall it was run at 7:18/m and the 6 x 1.04M laps came out as:

7:14/m 139 bpm
    7:06/m 146 bpm
    7:17/m 145 bpm
    7:23/m 147 bpm
    7:26/m 145 bpm
    7:24/m 146 bpm

There is some drift but it is actually much better (faster and much less drift)  than my first three sessions this time last year ... which is pretty surprising given that I've run so few miles since October 2011. Last year I was more robust and so went straight into doing twice weekly 10 lap sessions ... but I'm being more cautious this time given my various issues. The plan is to get these back up to the full distance over the next few weeks and then keep at least one per week going through out the summer.

• Options
    Brian61Brian61 ✭✭✭

DrDan, Good stuff.

Mace, Think either the battery and/or connections need cleaning OR the battery may need replacing. Give your strap a good clean first, and ensure that the battery area is also clean and dry.

• Options
    macemace ✭✭✭

Brian, thanks, i'd already cleaned it and it's not that old ( 3months ) so battery replacement will be a last resort.

I noticed this morning that the belt had slipped slightly half way through my run, so i pressed the contacts firmly into my chest and HR gradually dropped to just above normal/expected levels. So it appears that the belt has slowly been loosening.

Tonight i'll give it a good old tighten up and will get some gel for the electrodes as i've just been using water to wet the contacts up until now. Reading up, it seems that water isn't the best idea. Better to use saliva or proper electrode gel ( or KY Jelly )

This all seems rather obvious in hindsight image but my problems coincided with the start of the recent hot spell which would appear now to be a red herring.

Fingers crossed .....

• Options
    JohnnybikeJohnnybike ✭✭✭
    SlowRunningMan wrote (see)

Last Sunday's marathon resulted in almost a 12 min PB, finishing a mere 12 seconds over the 4hr mark.

For me, Hadd has really worked, although I've cut back to 4 runs a week. Distance is at least the same as other programmes I've followed but the time on feet is greater.

Great result SLR - it is nice when a plan comes together isn't it. Sub 4 sounds to be well on the cards for you in the near future

l
  • Options
    Brian61Brian61 ✭✭✭

<Virtual bow to thread owner>

Hows it going JB?

• Options
    Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭

Sub-LT session #2 done ... once again it was 7.5M total, with 6 laps of the park (6.24M) at a target HR of 145 bpm 81.5% maxHR. Overall it was run only 3 s faster than last weeks ...so 7:18/m again. The 6 x 1.04M laps came out as:

7:21/m 138 bpm
     7:08/m 143 bpm
     7:09/m 145 bpm
     7:14/m 146 bpm
     7:27/m 145 bpm
     7:26/m 145 bpm

• Options
    Brian61Brian61 ✭✭✭

Good numbers DrD. Did a similar run myself today. 70mins with middle 50@80%

Came out as:

Out  25:01  3.58  6:59  149

Back 25:21  3.58  7:05  150

So, 9.5 miles in total, with just over 7 miles @ 7:02 pace.

Happy with that as it is my first 80% session since the London marathon. 

• Options
    Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭

Nice work Brian.image

• Options
    JohnnybikeJohnnybike ✭✭✭

Thanks for asking Brian.Not very good TBH

Started HADD last year and did about 12 weeks and two tests and no improvement noticed, although I did get up to 13-14 miles with nice easy running in 1:50-2:00. Looking forward to starting full FM training in Jan and my calf went on boxing Day. Only had 3 weeks running since then.

I was a bit disapointed with HADD but as you know you analyzed my training and I had not been as rigorous at sticking to HADD as I should have been (or thought I had been) so that was a harsh but fair comment.

Still got a calf strain (on other leg) but trying to do some hard walking, indoor rowing and gym work reday to start up again.

• Options

I've been dabbling with this idea for a couple of weeks now. I'm not a fast runner by any means - comfortable pace is usually around 9-9:30m/m, 10k pace around 8:30m/m - and I've never really considered heart rate before. I have my max and resting HRs - 196 and 60 respectively. This means that my "easy" run should be under 156bpm. HOW??! I've done 2 runs trying to keep my HR down so far and the bloody beeping on the watch drove me insane. I had to walk - no exaggeration - every 100m to get my HR back down. It is impossible for me to run slowly enough to keep it down, and I end up with an average pace of 13m/m.

I'm trying to keep the faith and believe it will get better. Will it??

• Options
    JohnnybikeJohnnybike ✭✭✭

How sure are you that MHR is actually Maximum HR? Based on 220-age you are 24. How accurate is that

No idea of how old you are but it is very hard to get a MHR, especially if you are relatively unfit and therefore you need to either work harder in the test (not easy) or adjust manually.

If comfortable is 9-9:30 then I suggest that HADD easy is not that far away.

Just onto my 3rd VAT abroard so may be talking rubbish

John

• Options
    Brian61Brian61 ✭✭✭

L55, Yep I tend to agree with Johnny. The max is probably not accurate. A better gauge at this stage might be the HR you averaged in a recent race?

If your 10k pace is 8:30m/m then I would think that your 70% pace will be about 2 - 2:30 mins slower than that, say 10:30-11:00 m/m.

Have you any stats from recent races?

• Options
    madmickiemadmickie ✭✭✭
    Another 10k last night at 140bpm. Each week the number of Ks over 7 mins has decreased, last night there were none and time range from first to last is narrowing. So far it's working for me.

Lauren, don't worry about the walking, that's ok, you will find you won't need to do it after a few weeks.
  • Options
    Brian61Brian61 ✭✭✭

madmickie, Sounds good. What is your max - what intensity are the 10ks?

• Options

Hi, this is my first post on this thread so please take it easy on me!

I have been using my Garmin watch for about 2yrs now but have never used the HRM that came with it until recently, as I would like to start using this as a training aid. I uploaded the data for my run and thought I would post it here for comment by you educated HR people!

I don't have a measured max HR to go off so I understand it will be a bit of guesswork - but for background, I am 28, 12stone (give or take), been running for about 4years on and off, more consistantly over the past 12months or so with 3runs per week - lots of football prior to the past 12months.

The run in question was a 4.5mile easy run (am currently builind up my easy milage for a HM and my long run is currently at about 8miles).  It was crazy windy as is reflected in the split times - my easy run pace is 9.30 - 10.30 min/mile so I tried to keep to this and ignored my HR readings as they had no meaning to me! I did check my HR as I started though and it was 68.

Anyways - splits as follows:

Mile - Ave Pace - Ave HR - Max HR

1 - 9.48 - 123 - 137

2 - 10.01 - 139 - 143

3 - 10.15 - 144 - 148

4 - 10.08 - 148 - 151

5 - 9.49  -  145 - 148

Total - 10.02 - 139 - 151

From about 2.5miles till 4.5 miles was uphil and into the wind.

As I said, I realise that this doesn't give people much to go on but any observations / advice would be greatly welcomed!

• Options
    Brian61Brian61 ✭✭✭

F44, Welcome to the Fred.

From your age and your stats above, I would guess that your max is 200ish. Therefore I would use 70% as 140.

It will be tough to gain any marked improvement on 3 runs per week, but if I were you I would aim firstly to perform all your runs at up to 70%, gradually increasing the length (by 5mins or so) until you are up to runs of 70mins. This will probably take you 4-6 weeks, and then at this stage you may want to reassess, and hopefully add a run to make it 4 runs per week.

Ideally, if you could add in the extra run over the next couple of weeks the improvement will be more noticeable.

Keep us posted of your progress.

• Options
    Thanks for the reply Brian

My current long run is around 8miles, which at 10mm pace will be 80mins, then my other 2 runs would be a 6 and a 4.5, as the distance of my long run increases so do the others to maintain the ratio between them (but only at less than 10% increase in mileage per week).

Just to clarify, are you suggesting doing 3-4 runs of 70mins or a long one of 70mins and then others in a similar ratio to above?

I am running the GNR in Sept, not too bothered about a time because its crazy busy but I would like to have the fitness level to run it as a decent tempo run for me and then maybe think about entering more half marathons in future to 'race them' - up to now I've done 10ks, with a pb of 47:xx, I currently feel like I am in sub 50 10k shape which I know isn't fast, but I think that with a good level of base training (which hopefully training for the gnr will achieve) will then give me a good base on which to add some quality sessions to hopefully let me move to sub 45 for 10k or sub 1:45 for hm - that's a long term goal, but one step at a time!

I agree that 4 runs a week would be good - I do feel ay present that I need a day in between my runs to recover, maybe its psychological as I have got injuries in the past probably because I increased my mileage too quickly!
  • Options
    Brian61Brian61 ✭✭✭

F44, Your goals sound sensible and very achievable. I think a reasonable goal for you in 6 weeks would be to aim to get to:

Mon Rest, Tues 70mins, Wed Rest, Thurs 70mins, Fri 45mins, Sat Rest, Sun 2hrs

Or some derivative of that.....

Currently you are running 60mins-45mins-70mins. I would suggest increasing a la:

week1 60-50-80  (increases by 15mins < 10%)

week2 60-50-20-80 (increases by 20mins ~ 10%)

week3 65-50-25-90 (increases by 20mins < 10%) 

week4 70-50-35-100 (increases by 25mins ~ 10%)  

week5 70-55-45-110 (increases by 25mins < 10%)

week6 70-70-45-120 (increases by 25mins < 10%)

Does this sound ok?

• Options
    Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭

I'd agree with Brian ... a nice gradual build up of low HR mileage is the place to start.