Options

Excited new runner

Comments

• Options

Hey Stripes - my new job is at IBM, inside software sales, before I was at Ericsson television - selling the technology behind satellite, cable, IP - selling encoders, receivers, multiplexers, satellite modulators etc to your television broadcasters around the world.  
    It's a bit of a weird one to explain.

I'm loving the olympics so far - so many channels on bbc!!! image 

• Options

Em glad your new job going good, after a couple of weeks you will have settled in image

Well, didnt we do well yesterday image Adlington tonight image

Had a quick run when I got home from work yersterday did about 3.5 miles image

Silver - great news you managed a run and enjoyed it image

Mal - I hope little Moo soon settles bless her, my mum use to look after little tots and she said some just take longer to settle than others but they do get there eventually image try not to worry to much

• Options
    Sent off my first entry form since February. Hermitage 10k on Sunday week image
  • Options
    Well done Stripes. I can't wait to get going again so I can run without pain or fear of my lungs exploding!

I ran again at lunch today - another 3.5k circuit but this time with the new guy in the office who I have to say is so much fitter than me. He's also 16 years younger do that would explain him being faster. He was desperate to run ahead but needed me to point out the routes through the farmers fields so he ran behind me the whole way. Bloody difficult to not feel like an old man when you're running with a 26 year old who doesn't even break a sweat!

Still loved it again and quite enjoyed chatting a bit as we went round - when I could breath that is! - I can't remember the last time I didn't run alone.

Feel a bit nervous about Saturdays park run as I haven't run a straight 5k in ages without stopping - want to give my support though so I'll definately pitch up. Just hope I don't mark the occassion by having a cardiac arrest! image

Hope work was ok Mal and Moo is settling - its a really difficult time and one of those big life changing moments isn't it. My 4yo starts big school in September which will be strange. Can't believe how quickly time has flown!
  • Options

Well done Silver, great running. I'm sure park run will be fine. I'm planning one for the first Saturday I'm not working in 3 weeks time. Big Girl starts school in September too, boo hoo!

• Options

A quick Hi and have a great weekend image been extremely busy at work this week.  Finishing at 1 today we are off to Brandon Hall Hotel overnight so going early to use the pool, it was a travelzoo deal image 6 of us going so should be a giggle image

Catch you next week image

• Options

HI everyone.

Well done all on race entries and running with younger fellas!  don't feel intimidated Silver, I bet if you and he did a half marathon you'd rock up feeling stronger (speed does not mean a better runner - at least that's what I keep telling myself).

Off to be beaten up at 7.30 (sports massage).  I can't wait.  My recurring neck and shoulder problem is a real pain and i'm looking forward to being properly sorted.  At 25 quid for a 45 minute treatment, consultation, stretches etc its a steal.  and its only just round the corner.  A nice finish to a good first week at my new job!

Enjoy the olympics all x 

• Options

Hi all, I'm back in 'sunny' UK image Had great holiday, will write more later and read the pages I'm missing. Currently feeling very tired and jetlagged.

Em - will post pic of sex on the beach, it isn't like what you'd expect.

• Options

image welcome back Maam - get rested and you'll feel more human in a day or two x

• Options
    /members/images/684170/Gallery/tn_016.JPG

Em - This is the Sex on the Beach! Just sorting pics then off to bed zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

• Options
    Welcome back Maam. Glad the holiday was good.

Did my LSR last night in between Olympics and thunderstorms. 11 miles including about 20 minutes of torrential rain. Was as far away from home as possible at the time so had to keep running image
  • Options

well done stripes!  I managed to dodge the rain this morning - we ran under the only patch of blue sky all the way around.  11.5 miles.  I think my legs are achey but on the massive positive, I can eat loads today!!
    maam - the sex on the beef looks fabulous!!! can you remember what each of the layers were? x 

• Options
    Well done Emma. Are you going to keep increasing your LSR past Half Marathon distance? I have no plans to train for a full at this point so not sure how high I should push it up to.
  • Options

i'm not sure really. my brother (much faster) enjoys 14 miles for fun, with no plans to do a marathon.  I guess i'm nearing my max for just going for a longer run.  Maybe it'll be nice to do 15 miles comfortably and then to improve on pace...

I seem to be ok with long distances but incredibly slow.  Shorter runs (10k's) I can do much quicker but struggle with more.  

Maybe it would be nice to do a half marathon every sunday...... food for thought! image

• Options

Hi guys - I been mad busy at work hope your all ok

First run last night in a few days and that was only short image loving the olympics and how well we are doing, we have just reached Bejing medals total.  Wasn't Saturday a day to remember, Jess Greg and Mo all Gold image Mo was my fav, my heart was racing and I felt physically sick watching him, what a Legend image today the Brownlee Bros in the triathlon have given us Gold and Bronze and Nick Dempsey in Windsurfing got us a Silver image

Maam - welcome back, was you away for 2 weeks image thats gone proper quick.  Hope it was fantastic and you managed ok image

Em and Stripes - well done on the LSR's I will do one this week image 4 weeks to HM image 

Actually got new trainers on Sunday, gone for different purely because I wanted them there and then as normally would stick to Asics, so got Mizuno and seemed ok last night.  Need them for HM so 4 weeks to test image

• Options

Hi all, I'm finally feeling a bit more alive and back on UK time.

Reading back through all the missing gossip and sounds like you are all doing great.  Some fantastic running totals, loving the olympics, tour de france and of course the F1.  We recorded the highlights to watch during our sleepy last couple of days.

Em - no idea what was in that sex on the beach, all I know is it tasted foul, but drank it all just for you. Did try few other cocktails too which were nice, and I think helped with the pain.

The holiday was good, but that was what we made of it rather than the hotel we were in.  If you want to know about the hotel check out my review on Trip Advisor, it is called Memories Varadero and I'm Maamalade. It's too much to put on here, but has interesting reviews.

As for the rest of the holiday, Dad loved the party for his 60th, dinner with banners, drinks and cake.

We did a trip to the other side of the island to see where sugar was made and grown which was brilliant, went on a steam train into the plantations then off for lunch at an animal farm where we got to hold 1 month old crocodiles image Will put pics when I get them off mums camera.  After lunch was a boat ride through the mangroves to a replica indian reservation, followed by a trip to a crocodile farm where I held a meter long croc and did some salsa dancing on crutches which was different.

The knee gave me heaps of grief, but I tried not to let it stop me.  I still can't straighten it and can only bend to around 90 degrees. I can walk very small distances without crutches and can do stairs in a fashion without crutches.  Going back to the Dr's today as I did have a couple of incidents while away. Turbulance on the way out was agony to say the least, tears of pain image Then I tried to jump in the pool, lifted leg up but not far enough and it took the force, bent too far and by god did I scream in pain!  The following day I triped over the sun lounger backwards and again screams of pain image

We did do a 2 day/overnight trip to Havanna which was totally awesome, couldn't have asked for more, well other than more time there. The history, architecture, music, just brilliant image 

Off to Dr's!!!

• Options

Back from Dr's.

After Havanna I managed a few days diving, managed to sucessfully teach my dad and Uncle how to safely deep dive as well as seeing some amazing wrecks.

The last day OH and I went into Varadero town which was nice, wondered the shops then got a little yellow taxi part way up the strip, bit more shopping then old American Convertable back to the hotel, pics to follow image

Once all done, time to pack and come home image Now planning next holidays image Just need some money image

The Dr Verdict: Its no surprise that my recovery is taking longer as I started from a way worse position than any other patient that she has seen. She is annoyed that I have not had physio so is arranging that for me.  I need to keep going as I am to see how I get on. I've tried to use the clutch today hoping to head back to work, but for now just isn't happening image Oh, and the notes I have from the hospital against what was sent to my GP against what I was told on the phone all differ on what is wrong with my knee! Not great image

• Options

/members/images/684170/Gallery/tn_036.JPG

Me and 1 month Croc

/members/images/684170/Gallery/tn_038_0.JPG

OH with 2 x 1 month crocs

/members/images/684170/Gallery/tn_569_0.JPG

The little yellow taxi, so much fun image

/members/images/684170/Gallery/tn_581_0.JPG

The old american back to hotel image Arriving in windswept style image

• Options

oh maam - what brilliant pics.  Your OH looks like he's squeezing their necks image

I read your review.  Sounds like heaven - eh!! well, the pancakes maybe!  What a shame that the hotel and staff let it down!  

On the plus side, it sounds like you won't have put on as much weight as I normally do when on holiday! image

Lets hope now that you're home, your recovery will be quick - Silverstone is still plenty of time away (and if you HAVE to walk some, i'll walk with you - just as my excuse really......)

• Options

OR.... we could both wear roller skates and Booey could drag us round...... 

• Options

Em - love the idea of that.  I'm not giving up on Silverstone, which knowing my GP is sorting physio is a good sign for me image Thanks for the offer of walking too, I can see I will probably do more walking than running, but will make it round, I have to, my next (hoped for) tattoo depends on it image

As for how much weight I've put on that would be:  4.5lbs image Probably all the rum image Even brought a ltr back with me. Havanna Club 7 years, mmmmmmmm

• Options

Not bad!!!.4.5lbs is brilliant result for a fortnight all inclusive!  it'll drop off relatively easy now you're back on MFP! image

Why does your next tattoo depend on getting round silverstone?  go on - tell all image

• Options

Maam - loving the pics, really love the yellow taxi image I will have a read on tripadvisor when I get chance.  I hope you are soon on the right road to recovery and starting physio will be a big help image Like Em said, Silverstone is a way off yet so fingers crossed you will be there on the start line one way or another image

Ran the last 3 nights, no great mileage though just about 3.5 miles each night image now we have some heat again I think I shall be running later tonight and tomorrow night then am going to try and do a LSR Sat morning image

These tablets are making me quite nauseous, its wierd because its just certain things that are turning my stomach image I have packup everyday at work and always have a cupa soup, nope cant do that anymore image the thought of my egg sandwich later is not looking good either image I have hospital next tues so I can see what they have to say and how I am doing.

Is everyone looking forward to seeing Usain Bolt doing his stuff again tonight image

• Options

Boo - sounds like you aren't having much fun with your meds, hopefully the hospital will be able to help. It has to be said though, if they can sort the nausia then cutting out the cuppa soup isn't much to have rid of the pain image

My arthritis is playing up last couple months, but think from using crutches, Dr said to wait till knee settles a bit before we look at it as a result.

That yellow taxi was great fun, felt little unsteady but a giggle all the way image

Em - For my tattoos I always get something that means something to me, my pic is the one my OH got me for my 30th that I had designed from my thoughts. For my next one I am thinking of getting something to represent my running, especially if my knees mean I have to cut down so it will be to celebrate my acheivements of my runs so I'm thinking a sun (Port Sunlight 10k) with the Tyne Bridge and Red Arrow smoke (GNR) with the Silverstone circuit circling it all (Silverstone HM), don't know where to get it but that is my thought. What do you think?

Boo - I have been watching the Olympics but it's when we are in rather than sitting to watching something specific.

I am missing running so much, just want to give it a try but know that isn't sensible at all. I just don't know how to cope with this frustration. I've been off work now over 2 months and feel like I'm not getting any further image I just don't know what to do next image

• Options

Maam - love the tattoo idea! most tattoo artists should be able to draw that up for - and if they can't then I wouldn't trust them anyway!

But you'll be running many more races than that, so leave plenty of room to add to it!

Ignore the urge to run!  Is it possible to do some water running at some point soon though - all the benefits (but clearly you don't get far, fast) but without the stress on the limbs (I think).... you'll be happier long term to hold off now and fully recover than not quite recover and recurring problems!  You've got a long life of running ahead of you!

I guess knitting is out of the question but is there another past time that you can do that you've always fancied doing?

• Options

Em - full of logic and sense as always image I have been chilling mainly. I love diving but can't here as can't drive to dive sites, but am looking at taking up languages again.  The only problem is once you learn with nobody to talk to it gets rusty which leaves me nervous, but will get back to it image The way knee going think got about another week before back to work so plenty to fill the day.  I've got the teach yourself for: German, Italian, Arabic but also want to learn Spanish and Norweigan image Get me if I can manage it image

How is the new job going too? Meant to ask but with going away I forgot image

Mal - How you doing? When do the studies start? How is Moo getting on?

Where have the men gone too?

Ok, off to watch the mens 200m image

• Options

What a great 200m, well done Jamaica!!! image Wish was there to party image

• Options

What a great race ah, glad they made it a Jamaica 123 image Bolt is such a dude, I love his confidence and the way he plays up to the camera's, what a legend.

Am looking forward to seeing Mo run the 5000 Sat night, I know he has won what he set out to do and this is not his race as such but would still be good if he could do it image

I ran at 8 last night and it was just lovely and pleasant image I shall do the same tonight or maybe a bit later as I have to go shopping for BBQ food for tomorrow night image make the most of it people its breaking up again Sunday I believe image

Have a great weekend everyone image

• Options

Have a good weekend everyone, I'm off north to see the parents for their wedding anniversary. Looks like 2 weeks in cuba wasn't enough of our company!

• Options
    Mo Mo Mo Mo Mo Mo Mo Farah - What a superstar!!! image