Options

Excited new runner

Comments

• Options

Thanks for the cheat sheets, some ups and downs for everyone. I'm aiming to run tomorrow so will report back with actual running news hopefully!!

• Options
    Not actual running news?!? That's not what we come on here for - is it?
  • Options

Well...no, not really but need to keep the facade for purely official purposes, really I'm checking in on ice cream status for the evening.

• Options
    I've Cream consumption is significantly down from its usual level Mal, although my SIL left a dozen chocolate covered honeycomb ice cream lollies and some cjicolate covered peanut butter flavour ice cream lollies here after my sons party and I've been seeing them off at the rate of one a night for the last week - it would be silly not to as they take up so much space in the freezer!

Oh I didn't run last night as I was busy/ knackered from 3 nights of sprinting. . (Phew just remembered to mention the R word)

Good to have you back don't dissappear for too long next time! You're the only one that appreciates the stress and strain of having little ones! image
  • Options

yeah Mal, we all were thinking of you x  just pop on even if its just a super quick hello x

• Options

Will do, thanks for the welcome back.

I've started my course now so am officially a student again but I managed to get lots done today. Missed you all!

• Options

Welcome back Mal, good to hear you are keeping busy. Miss you too xxx

How is student life treating you ? x

• Options

Woop Woop, physio today sounding promising for me getting back to normal image Yipee!

• Options

Maam that's fantastic news, your hard work and dedication must be starting to pay off.

Student life is not how I remembered it...all night parties, no food, late nights and later mornings, occassional bit of work...

Now it's much more like normal life with an extra dose of crazy work added in! I'm doing most of it from home apart from study days and tutorials x3 per month in Bristol or Havant. Having said that I'm enjoying it despite the business.

I have a cold and feel a bit run down with it, can't remember the advice on colds, is it ok to run still? (got the r word in!)

87+

• Options

Mal - good to hear that you are enjoying your course, but not good to hear that you have a cold.  The advice the Dr gave me is that if it is from the neck up you are ok to run, if it's in the throat or neck down then don't.  Hope this helps and hope even more that you get better soon.

Can't wait to get back to exercising image Speaking of which, off to do physio exercises, making the most of this good feeling from this morning.

Oh, and I'm diving tomorrow again. First time in the UK since I did my knee in, can't wait and hope all will go well image

• Options

Mal - good to see you back and running looking positive apart from the cold image hope it goes soon

Maam - some goods news for you, thats great image enjoy the dive tomorrow

Did my local short run last night of about 3.4 miles, nice and pleasant image

Have a great weekend everyone image

• Options

Hi all,

Did my last LSR before half next week. Ten miles in pouring rain. Will probably get a cold now image

Have a good weekend everyone image

• Options

Hey all

Stripes / Booey - good running!!!

Maam / Mal - glad you're both more upbeat - made me smile!!

Silver - you glued to the treader or weighed down by a vat of icecream.

I have had the worst night sleep since my OH went away last night.  I was sorting out filing (yeah, fun) and incy wincy spider, the size of a light bulb suddenly appeared down by my side of the bed.   I even bought from b&q some ultra fine garden netting to put over the windows so I could have fresh air without the critters coming in but noooooo - the muvver of all spiders was there in my bedroom image  after screaming, crying and generally running around (and sweating a lot) I got a mop and attacked it - the bugger was fast but I got it in the end - and then had to hoover him up.  

Shaken, I did not get to sleep until nearly 3am.  I hate spiders.  They properly scare me.  

Today I woke up with the biggest puffiest bags under my eyes (aged 10 years in one evening) and mount etna on my face.  And not in a discreet place.

I am officially haggard.  and tired.  and worried about what else is under the bed!!!!

• Options
    Oh Emma that sounds horrible although I have to say it's not spiders for me it's worms. Errrgh!

Anyway I have to tell you that this treadmill is fantastic and liberating too. I've been running in 20min blocks which isn't long but on the presets I can get up to almost 10mph for a couple of mins interval training. For me that's a sprint and where I'm always nervous to run too fast when outside in case I run out of steam on this I can just go for it. I feel a bit like a kid running at full tilt. Last night I did 2 20min sessions with a 2 min break and I was truly knackered but I covered almost 5 miles!!! If I could maintain that speed for more than 2 mins I could run a half marathon in 90mins! That's a big if though! image

Sure the novelty will wear off soon but for now it's become my guilty pleasure - probably the most fun I've ever had on my own late at night....well in the garage anyway!!image

Mal - are you on a diet of baked beans and noodles now or has student food changed too in the last 20 years!!
  • Options

Hey all

Em - sorry to hear about the lack of sleep. I too hate spiders so totally get where you are coming from. I've just given in and keep the windows shut as it's spiders and mozzies that get in at our house image Sure you'll perk up soon and be back to it.

Silver - good treadying image keep it up. So you've set your challenge, your next HM in 90mins, go for it!

Stripes - great LSR, now to chillout ready for next week. Sure you'll do great with all the training you've been putting in.

Boo - good running as always, very consistant. How is the health these days?

Mal - hi

I've been diving today, a lovely sunny day, only managed one dive as knee gave me heaps of gip, but it is a starting point and great to see friends that I've not seen in about a year. Planning a halloween dive too image I can't wait, should be great fun.

Planning on chilling out for the rest of the night, GP qualifying to watch and the GP tomorrow. Hopefully a lotto win tonight and I mean big £, wishful thinking I know, but god loves a hoper image

Monday sees me back to work full time minus physio appointments but on my new hours so do longer days and have wednesdays off image plus want to get back on the diet and start some exercises to get this weight loss back on track. I've got about 10kg to go to get ot where I'd love to be.

Happy weekend everyone image

• Options
    Hey Maam the dive sounds great bet you loved getting physical again after so much time recuperating. Hope things get easier with the knee.

I'm having a night off my garage shenanigans. I feel great today though after my interval workout last night thought I'd ache but it seems I can run faster than I thought afterall. I'm sure when I get outside again I'll find it hard work.

I ate a massive jam and cream scone today - it was fantastic - I even took a pic of it as it was so magnificent. Probably 500cals in it! :-0

Right I'm off to watch the golf for a bit then it's my boys footie match in the morning - hope the weather holds. Smell you later! image
  • Options

Just done the most treacherous 10k race - mud bath - slippery and rutted underfoot - my friend and I eventually crossed the finish line but not without having to walk large sections through the mud - the ministry of funny walks with feet going in all directions, mud everywhere.

Lovely medal though and am just about warm again after being pretty much sat on a hot radiator for the past two hours.

Oh the joys of UK weather!!! image I won't even mention my time as really - that went out of the window completely when just being able to move forward without slipping up became the main focus of the event!

• Options

Silver - now that does look very very nice image glad your enjoying the dready tready

Ran sunday just before the rain and will be club running this evening image

Maam - glad the diving went well and things are going ok, hope getting back into work doesnt cause you to much grief

Em - well done on the very muddy 10K, was it fun?  These races seem to be more and more popular and I just dont get it?  I love running, but just normal straight forward running image

Stripes - you resting up now ready image good luck for the HM this weekend image

• Options
    Thanks Booey. Two steady runs next two evenings and then maybe a swim Thursday.

That scone looks lovely Silver

Well done on the race Emma and the dive Maam.
  • Options
    It was delicious Boo!image

Emma (or swimming Stripes) maybe you should consider this race? There's an obstacle with 1000 live wires hanging down which you have to run through. Its hardcore stuff but looks great fun. Apart from the odd electric shock that is. image
  • Options
    That looks evil. We could enter as a team image
  • Options
    Not sure how far wed get given our collective age Stripes. I may need the electric shock therapy to restart my ticker at the end. image if only I was 10 years younger I'd be having a go for sure.
  • Options

Ha. I've always wanted to run through mud thats on fire. Don't think life would be complete without it image

• Options

Hello

Booey - i'm not really into multi terrain - I would be if it was 'dry multi terrain' as it was through woods and down tracks and very lovely - except the bog underfoot.

I ran with a friend of mine so it was a much slower pace than i'm at.  In fact, it was a bit too slow for me - i kept on having to go back on myself and stop and wait.  I felt bad because I just was not able to run at that pace.  Plus when the muddy bits came and my legs were going all over the place, there was no running then...

All in all, I prefer a straight forward run.  The GSR next month - am looking forward to it a lot.  I did it last year too and the atmosphere is amazing!

Silver / Stripes - toughmudder - errrr, noooo - don't think so thanks very much.  I wish it was me, but its not.  I can't lie - I don't mind getting wet, or a bit muddy but full blown mouth full of cr&p as I trip over a tree stump and electrocute myself does not sound like fun!!!  I would however if you guys were doing it, come and watch.  I could make good money from that when I send it off to an out-take tv channel.....

The scone looked a bit tasty - luckily I don't have a particularly sweet tooth - i'm all about crumpets / toasted muffins / cheese and marmite toasties..... carbs and cheese basically...

Mal - did you manage to get out for a trot at all this week  how's your littleun doing now at nursery? 

Maam - how you feeling? (it's your day off tomorrow isn't it)?

off to bed for me (zebedee)... got a run in the morning and a spin class tomorrow night.... image 

• Options

Hi all

Silver/Stripes - think I'm with Em on the running front (when I can run that is) don't mind diving through crap floating in the water as I've got my air keeping my mouth clean but to have a mouth full of it, naaa.

Boo - good running as always

Mal - hope you are ok.

Em - Enjoy spin, I think... something I've never got my head around is spin classes, too much like torture from what I've seen of them

As for me, I'm doing ok ish I guess. Suffered heaps on Sunday after the dive, knee was in so much pain it was unreal.  Also it has taking to collapsing again and my knee is popping all over the place. The physio says this is good as it means the swelling is finally going down so will need to start on quad strengthening, but when she got me to do one basic one said my quads weren't there, they have depleated so much image Long old road ahead and one I'm fed up of already.

For the day off, yes it is today and I took great pleasure in ensuring I stayed in bed till gone 9am image was wonderful, only downside is that I've still not done anything (other than eat) and have no motivation to do anything.

Oh - just to let you guys know I've invited a guy called Stewart to join us on this thread.  We have been chatting for ages on a different thread and it has dwindled to just the two of us.  He is in very north Scotland, love running, plays cricket, has a daughter who runs, helps out at his local running club, has a 10k booked soon (could be this weekend) and after many discussions signed up for his first HM in October.  Some of his running sounds crazy hard work and makes me cringe, but a good guy all round, thought would fit in well and that would be good motivation for us all and for you lot to help someone else too image

Ok, off for a brew now while thinking of shower, getting dressed, dishes, cooking lunch and most importantly being ready when OH gets home from work as he is taking me shopping for some clothes, new boots and to cheer me up image

See you later and have fun image

• Options

Silver - I forgot to say that cake looks really nice, but very sickly and far too full of cream for my liking (allergy) but hope you enjoyed every last bite and didn't think too much of the calories.

Em - the lady of the house has received the magazine image haven't read it yet but have got it so thank you.

OH has taken me shopping today for some flat boots to keep my feet warm and dry (can't wear heals which all of my boots have).  They are great, biker type ones from tesco but I'm loving them image

Off to carb up now on chicken and bacon with pasta and a creamy sauce followed by an egg custard tart image nom nom

• Options
    Ooooo all this talk about food makes me hungry which is why I'm parked outside the Chinese waiting for my take away. Mmmmm. It's Kung Po Chilli Chicken tonight and my mouths watering just thinking about it.

Big sesh in the garage planned for tonight and when me and Mrs S are finished its onto the treadmill. Haha - just kidding! I reckon I'm going for 4 miles in 30 mins that's 8mph. Can't wait! I'm actually smiling at the thought of it! image
  • Options

Good luck with that, but is the running before or after the chinese??? Hope you manage the running ok and that you stick to the time you want. Good to hear you are so happy at the thought. I wish I could run.