Options

Excited new runner

Comments

• Options

Blimey. How you gonna get that home? Or have I fallen into your trap? image

• Options

LOL - Silver!!!! you're just chatting to yourself now aren't you!
    I think the treadmill is a good idea, and a trip to scotland even better.  The treader will be good for doing speed training, which will speed you up overall - and when its super icy outside or Mrs S is off out and you've eaten a few too many tubs of icecream then voila - the inside running solution!

I don't think you'll stop the running outside either - it'll just keep your fitness up for when you can't go out.  Good purchase!!!!

And congrats on the wedding anniversary - did Mrs Silver say you could have a treadmill because she's got her eye on a hot tub / diamond bracelet / new car???? image

• Options
    Oh there is life out there!!! I thought it was just me and the vino!! And EBay of course.

I reckon it's a good purchase too Em. I was actually thinking ages back that having a tready would help me improve my speed a bit or at least pace myself better. I also hate the winter runs round the village as its bloody dark and the pavements are pants and the roads dangerous. Thinking about it like that it could be a life saver couldn't it. My decision is justified.image

You've got me worried about Mrs S motives though - there's always a hidden meaning with Mrs S and come to think of it she has been looking at new cars lately - not diamonds or hot tubs though at least I don't think so - Oh - I've got it it's a new kitchen she's after - seriously she's mentioned it before and one of her friends said when they were in John Lewis they spent ages looking at fridges!

This treadmill could cost me a fortune - and I don't just mean the petrol to Aberdeen! imageimageimage
  • Options
    Booey - what have I done!?

Did you race this weekend by the way?
  • Options

Silver you are so funny! Good buy on the treadmill, sounds like a good buy to me. Take Mrs S with you when you go to collect and try to make a weekend of it sort of thing image

I like the idea of a treadmill for those days that you just can't face getting out or don't have the time. You can do speed or hills on treadmill and get a great workout too. Will never beat a great outdoor run though image

I'm getting ready for the post op hospital trip and aren't looking forward too it, infact feeling scared about it image

Hope everyone is having a good day, well as good as work can get, I've got that joy tomorrow for the first time in 13 weeks!!! How tough is 6am get up??? Does 6am really exist? The joys image

• Options
    It's going to be difficult Maam. Just coming back from 2 weeks hols was hard enough.

Other good thing about a treadmill - I won't even need to get dressed to run - U can run in my pants if Ivwsnt and no one will know or care. JOY!!!
  • Options
    Just read that back and it should have said I can run in my pants not U can run in my pants! Hahahaha image
  • Options
    Ha ha Silver. Still waiting to hear how Booey got on in her race.
  • Options

I'm hear, back from the hospital and finally know what they have done, what is wrong, recovery process etc.  Someone who knew something, finally!!! Ok, so they have removed the medial plica and I have a stretched ACL (cruciate). I should have started physio the day it was done, that is only just over 8 weeks ago! Never mind will start on Friday instead. The pain I still have is because of the op and the tenderness etc. I should make a full recovery but they are expecting not much difference in the next 3 months but should be fully recovered and back to full running etc in the next 6-9 months! Looks like Silverstone could be interesting but she told me to still go for it image My quads have gone, my hamstring doesn't want to play and there is some chemical trick where my brain can't talk to my lower leg properly.  Feeling more confident on knowing this is the start of getting better after all this time, that I can run again eventually and that it will take some time and intense physio sessions oh and painkillers still. Work have to play nice with me and all should work out fine.

Silver I'm still laughing at your vino conversation image

Going to do dinner now as still have 2 more minor dr visits tonight before up for work in the morning so will be about less on the net image Keep me laughing and smiling and happy please, I'll be posting running reports again, at some point in time image

• Options
    Ooooo Maam all that talk of cruciates made me wince but I'm glad you had a good appointment and you're feeling positive about the recovery.

Apologies for my rambling last night and also saying you could wear my pants earlier. One day soon I'll do some running again and talk about that on here!image
  • Options

Why change the habits of a lifetime Silver? We love your ramblings on image

• Options
    Hey what about Murray! I watched the first set but it took an hour and a half to complete so I went to bed after - good job too as I don't think it finished til 2 o'clock. Good in him though - I've always been a fan and knew he'd win a slam at some point.

Picking up the tready at the weekend so can't wait for that. I should admit that the bit about it being in Aberdeen wasn't true and it's only in Surrey so about 45 mins away from me - thankfully. Shame really I fancied a trip to Scotland. image
  • Options
    Hello......hello.......hello (echoes!)

Where is everyone?

If I told you Id just run 10miles in 50 minutes would you be interested and come back?

*****Tumbleweed*****
  • Options

Hi guys

Sorry I been so long but my bloody phone has packed up image and I cant do without it boohoo

Anyway the half mara was completed in 2.17, better than my last time but am I happy with that image to be honest I wanted under 2,15 but hey ho.  I found the last 3 miles a struggle and also my newish trainers gave me a couple of small blisters image BUT not moaning, it was a beautiful place round the lake, the weather was kind and wasnt over warm and also very shaded.  Really enjoyed it and would defo consider doing again next year image

Just using dads laptop, home from wales tomorrow back to work thurs so catch up with all your news then

Stripes well done great time image

• Options
    Thanks Booey. Well done on the PB. Sounds like a great race.
  • Options

Hello!

Well I've been to work and it was rather boring, long and tiring. I guess that is partly to do with not having access to any of the systems and spending most of the day ready the last 3 months worth of meeting minutes and the rest of the day photocopying! Deep Joy. Good news is I have tomorrow off to recover image

Silver - hope the trip to get the machine is a good one and that you give it a good going over once you've got it, just to make sure it works of course image

Boo - brilliant run and excellent PB, you should be proud image

Stripes - is it this weekend your HM? If so good luck for itimage

I'm hoping to run soon, ish, hoping that the physio will give me a better idea on Friday but with after the news from the hospital think it may have to be some time away image Looking up though shouldn't be too much longer image

• Options

Hi

First of all, what a funny read.  If everyone just left Silver on this forum alone for a couple of days, I reckon we'd have a really good comedy sketch.  Especially if we'd got his sloshed on a bottle of vino!

Booey - great time!  setting the bar for silverstone next year?  

Maam - good to hear that things are bit more positive.  You'll be running soon enough!

Stripes - when are you going to change your name on here?  (unless you wear stripes in other places than on your trainers...)

I got a full day of lunch with customers and then dinner with friends tonight. Tomorrow its up at early doors to get a 2.5 hour train to take me to Birmingham for the day - not getting home until nearly 10pm tomorrow night.  Not massively looking forward to that.  Still done a run and will have a spin class a bit later before I go to dinner.

Mal - helloooo - just in case you're too busy but still reading x

• Options
    Morning All - sorry again for my drink induced silliness - its a combo of the post holiday blues and being back at work. Grrrrr!

I'm beginning to wonder if I've done the right thing with the treadmill now. It is a bargain but will I use it enough and how unhappy will Mrs S be when she sees it. Could be a proper doghouse moment which may last weeks. I'll just have to move into the garage with the treadmill my tools and my radio that's stuck on Radio 5. Not sure what I'll do for eats though as all we've got in there is the deep freeze and my wine collection.

Been up since 6.30 making Lego this morning as its my 5yo actual birthday. I managed to make his vampire car by 7.30 but the vampire castle will have to wait til tonight as its huge. I hate Lego! image
  • Options

Em - good to hear that you are getting on well even if very busy and well done for still fitting in the runs and spin class image Roll on Silverstone, the hospital are hopeful of me still doing it too imageimageimage

Silver - Well what can we say, dog house and stuck in the garage with the vino, this could lead to some serious comedy sketches on here image Sure all will be fine, after all I'm sure Mrs S knows what a tready looks like when she said you can have one.

Happy Birthday to your little one too, sure the lego is going down a treat, I love lego it is great fun image Always makes me feel like a big kid when I play lego with my nephew image

Stipes - Glad you are still about, is it this weekend that your race again? I really am suffering with memory loss and nausia with all these tablets it isn't going good image Good luck just incase it is this weekend.

Boo - Congrats again, good to hear it went well

Mal - how are you and the family doing? Good I hope and diet going well from what I see on mfp xxx

• Options
    Hi all.

Hope you are all well

Silver, we will have to bring back the pictures of dog houses image

Emma, I tried SWOOSH but its already taken.

Maam, HM in Macclesfield but not until Sep 30th. I may need some of your tablets afterwards!

Miles behind in work because I stopped to watch Camerons statement about the Hillsborough Independant Panels findings. Hopefully now justice may finally be done.
  • Options
    It's shameful Stripes - the whole coverup and blaming the Liverpool fans. And to think its gone on for so long.
  • Options

Sure is. I wasn't there but have many friends who were and vaguely know people who lost relatives. Hopefully today will be a catalyst for the inquest to be reopened and some closure can be given to the families.

How is the situation re: treadmill?

I have finally bitten the bullet and joined a gym after much messing about with trials at various different places. I plan to improve my swimming and general cardio fitness which should help my running.

I have also got a vague idea of attempting a sprint triathlon next year image

Crazy I know since the only bike I currently own is a cheap mountain bike which I haven't ridden for over a year image

• Options
    Wow - look at you go - sprint triathlons no less! I know a couple of Dads who regularly do triathlons and they love it. My swimming is pants and my bike is a load of rubbish (the front wheel fell off when I went to the Spar a few weeks back - seriously!) but that's what you get for ??80 from Halfords. I love the idea of triathlons though so best of luck.

Still waiting to pickup treadmill from the bloke in Surrey. He's away on business this week sonircwill probably be at the weekend. I can't wait to give it a try though.
  • Options

OK my official time was 2.18.05 it wasn't chip timed so thats why my garmin read 2.16 something but I always go by the official.  Its only 4 minutes better than Silverstone so I am a tad disappointed but still thoroughly enjoyed it.  Two things I would say now I have had time to reflect.  Firstly my new Mizuno trainers gave me a couple of small blisters and I could feel this start from around 8-9 miles, I have ran in them plenty before the race and they were good but lesson is stick with Asics as never one blister with them.  Secondly, I struggled the last 3 miles image so in training do 13 miles dont be happy with around 10 ish image

Also would be interested to do a HM in the cold and see how I perform then, am looking for one image

My phone is still out of action and I have to drop into a shop for repair later, maybe get it back tomorrow if I am lucky.

I have had terrible acid stomach the last few day, I think my tablets are playing me up image not funny, couldn't even have a glass of wine with my mum whilst away image

Silver - treadmill ah image I will leave you to see how you get on but all I know is, I never use mine image

Maam - hope work went ok even though boring, gradually you will get back into things

Stripes - you are on fire image keep up the good running

Em - how was the busy day in Brum

• Options
    Hello Booey - well done on the race and good feedback on the shoes.

Now about the treadmill - I only bought it as I thought you had one and used it a lot!! Im worried it's going to become a bit of an ornament now! image. Still I reckon I could get my money back if I didn't use it and decided to flog it.

I guess I could always use it to exercise the dog .... If I had one ... or a small child that would keep em quiet. image
  • Options
    Hi all.

Booey, I have suffered with blisters since day one. On third pair of shoes and tried numerous types of sock but still get them. Currently got a terrible one on a toe image

Silver, the treadmill will come in handy when the weather gets bad, or as something to sleep on when its dog house time image

Did 14 miles earlier. Furthest I've ever run and longest time on feet, feel pretty weary tonight.

Went and got some swimming goggles afterwards. Look a prize pratt with them on thats for sure!
  • Options
    14 miles!!!! Well done mate that's a serious distance. Are you thinking of trying a full Mara Stripes?

Good luck with the swimming. Don't worry about the goggles - as long as you don't wear Speedos you'll be fine!image
  • Options

Booey - those last 3 miles are a killer!  I always now do over and above the race distance but ALWAYS struggle if the weather is warm.  Silverstone was horrific - all that heat bouncing off all the tarmac - I was literally running and stripping off clothes and disgarding them at the side of the track.

I run much better in the cooler weather.  Because I get so hot.  Try not to be disheartened by times.  It's all nice to do quicker, but if we all just took a step back and looked at our achievements, we should be really proud of ourselves!  

I know that on the 23rd I have a 10k race, but its multi terrain and I doubt i'll do a PB - so i'm not even going to think about it.  I'm really about the achievement and not so much the time (although its nice to have something to aim for).  I think 4 minutes off the previous half marathon (half bloody marathon btw!) is a really great result!  so well done!  Hope your acid stomach goes image not fun is it....

Silver - honestly, the treadmill is a great idea.  You never know, Mrs S may have a little plod on it too.  You could encourage that your family use it too and get everyone involved (are you doubled up in hysterics now?)  But really, its all good and like you say, if in 6 months time its just been used for hanging tools and rags on then stick it on ebay!  image

Swoosh/Stripes - well done on joining the gym.  My running club suggested x-training and spinning.  Can I say that the spinning has definitely helped with the running but truly knackering.  Give it a go - you'll love it (take a towel and bottle of water!) image

Maam - will be great to have you at silverstone!  I'm looking forward to it already (got the winter to get through first!) Must be nice to be getting to some sort of normality with going back to work? having lots of time off work would be fine if money was no problem and you didn't have a dodgy leg!  Oh the things I would do if I were rich.....

Anyway, better go - been painting the small bedroom since I got in from work - so much for chilling out tonight...