Options

Excited new runner

Comments

• Options
    Definitely no speedos image

I am a long way from a full mara. Couldn't have even contemplated another 12 miles yesterday. Not sure how far to push my LSR after Macc half?

Spinning class is a must I know Emma but it sounds incredibly difficult. Not sure when I will take the plunge.
  • Options

Silver - my treadmill only cost £50 and its not in my way and I can fold it up image so I wouldnt get rid of it.  You may find at first you use it a fair bit and also with having children you can use it whilst being at home with them image keep us informed how you get on

Stripes - well done on the 14 miles image  Give yourself a rest after your HM then start increasing your mileage slightly and just see how it goes image I reckon the way you are going we will have an annoucement soon that your doing a full mara image really pleased for you though as I know you had a couple of set backs image

Em - your words are very true and I do feel proud that I can even consider entering a HM, and 4 mins is an improvement.  My Mum cried when she saw me at the end haha she is so funny, she still sees me as her little girl and doing something amazing image OH said when she saw an ambulance go past she really panicked, bless her image

I have my monthly hospital appointment next tues so will mention the acid stomach then and see what they say image still got it now boohoo image

Might have a little run tonight to get the legs working again image 

• Options

Morning all,

Stipes - Very impressed and proud at the 14 miles!!! Such an acheivement, and as a training run not a race. That is awesome.  I don't think it will be long before you are doing a full mara, but then again the triathlon will be a good part way.  I said I wanted to do one before I turned 30 and that has been and gone, maybe if knee improves will try before I'm 40, let me know how you get on.

Boo - sorry to hear about the acid, it can't be easy.  I know I've been feeling really nausia with the tablets but trying to get on with it, but for you knowing the tablets are a life thing it must be really tough. Hugs to you xx

Silver - if I were you I'd be so giddy at the thought of getting the treadmill like Boo says even if you use it little but often.  I got my x-trainer and hardly use it, was using it for warm ups/cool downs for my run rather than a full work out.  Plus like Em says it might help get the family involved.

Em - like your idea of a chilling night, but painting, I'm sure the vino and a film could of been had instead, with the box of chocs image

Getting back to work is starting to put normality into life, but I'm still not on the computers so doing fill in work rather than my work which makes me feel like a bit of a fraud like people are finding things for me to do just so I'm there.  I'm doing 2.5 days next week by the end of which I should know if they have agreed to change my hours.  I've asked for a compressed week so I'll do longer days but will get every Wednesday off  to rest which will suit me better all round. I'm still having bad days and quite a bit of pain, but hopefully today will be the start of the recovery as I'm off to see the physio soon! Nervous but happy so guess I should go get ready, wish me luck image

• Options

Good luck Maam image come back and let us know how it went image

• Options
    Good luck Maam. Hope it goes well.
  • Options
    Thanks Booey. Love what you put about your Mum.

Think I am going soft. Spent most of the Olympics and Paralympics welling up and was in floods when the Hillsborough announcements were made the other day.
  • Options

Hi all

Well I'm back from physio with mixed emotions image.  The physio has said that my knee is in a bad way and that he expected me to have more movement than I do based upon the notes that he had been given.  He is not committing to how much activity I'll be able to get back to and didn't look so encouraging when I mentioned running especially when I mentioned Silverstone image

The good news is that the treatment has started with 2 appointments per week plus stuff to do at home, ice packs needed and I've been given a walking stick! Just what I wanted image

So after today I'm not convinced I'll be reporting any more runs which makes me really really sad imageimageimage

You will now have to all do extra and count some of it as runs for me to keep my running dreams happy image

• Options
    Oh Maam that sounds really frustrating but don't rule out the runnIng altogether. Maybe you should try some low impact sports like swimming.

You could join Stripes in his budgie smugglers!

Sorry - just trying to make you smile. You can still be on this forum though - look at me I haven't run for weeks and I'm still on here all the time. image
  • Options

Silver - Thanks for the encouragement. Swimming will be an option and he is happy for me to cycle.  I just need to get enough movement in my knee first to be able to peddle! Will give it a go though, and your posts always keep me smiling.

As for getting rid of me, you don't that easy, I can be a virtual kick up the bum when you need it remember image

Fingers crossed for running again, but will be a few months off yet if today's appointment is anything to go by image

• Options

Oh dear Maam. Sorry about your news. Swimming is the way to go. Sure you must be a really good swimmer with all the diving you do.

You have got to be better than me. I've just got back having swallowed most of the pool image

• Options
    I told Mrs S About the treadmill and a picture says a thousand words......

http://www.dimensionsinfo.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/Dog-House.jpg
  • Options
    Thanks Booey. Love what you put about your Mum.

Think I am going soft. Spent most of the Olympics and Paralympics welling up and was in floods when the Hillsborough announcements were made the other day.
  • Options
    Good luck Maam. Hope it goes well.
  • Options

I'm having a sad day knowing that today I should have been running the GNR with my cousins while raising money for a brilliant cause. Instead I'm sat on the sofa still learning to walk straight image

Bright side, I'm Christmas shopping!

Roll on Silverstone and being able to run/walk/jog that image

• Options

Looks like the spam has taken over again image

Good news to report my cousins have done the GNR both in Sub 2 hours! I'm one very proud girl at the moment image

• Options

Hey everyone!

I had a bath today. Shock shock horror.  The point being I was able to catch up and read some of the running magazines that I had.  The womens running one (sorry boyz) was saying about one of the editors being told last year, that she would never be able to run again.  

But what do the medical profession know?!!!!! right - so with the right attitude and the will (that you have by the way maam) you will be running again.  Give me your address and i'll send you the magazine.  She's basically done a few 5ks and has a 10k booked for next month.  You'll do silverstone and the GNR - don't know when but hey - what an achievement that will be when you've done it.

Soft-Stripe - your new user name stripes?  I cry at insurance adverts when the mood takes me.  

Silver - that dog house picture was really sweet.  My brother sold his treadmill today for £100.  Its done him proud.... I don't suppose Mrs Silver was joking when she said about the treadmill?  maybe she just has selective memory (hee hee)

Mal - hi!!! hope you're well.

I just gorged on small pizza hut pizza garlic bread with cheese and potato skins.  I am beached now watching the rerun of the GNR.  Oh yeah, because this morning I did the Victory 5 mile in 45 minutes.  5 minutes off my expected time.  Don't really know what to expect with my running anymore!!! image

• Options
    Well done Emma. Great time image
  • Options
    Emma your brothers not called Chris and lives in Chertsey does he cos I picked my treadmill up today and paid 100 quid for it - spooky!

Anyway it's a beast of a machine - huge and very solid - a real bargain at the price. It took me ages to set up so I've only had a 10 min run but it feels great. Had to dissemble it to get it in the car which was a bit of a palava but the eBay sellers were lovely and helpful. Mrs S has been surprisingly, no amazingly, cool about the whole thing and even asked how it felt to use! She's after something I know it!!image

Only downside so far is the bloody scratch it made on my bumper as I took it out of the car Grrrrr!

Caught a bit of the GNR and thought of you Maam. I'm sure you mentioned it when you first came in here ages back. Hope Emmas article gives you some encouragement.

I'm a soft old git too when it comes to weeping. It's worse when you have kids too - if there's a injured child in Holby City I'll be in floods! Really! imageimageimage
  • Options

Maam - sorry to hear the news is not particularly what you wanted to hear image dont get to dispondent, I reckon you will be running again image its still early days and you sound like your positive enough to fight to get yourself right again.  Silverstone can always be planned for the following year if needs be image

Stripes - your random double phone posts make me chuckle image

Em - great 5 mile time, well done image

Silver - enjoy the tready and I love the doghouse pic image

Well I have now had a week rest from running so will have a little run later image got rid of the acid tum for the weekend so had a couple of bottles of wine to celebrate from the week before image cleared all the garden furniture away, tidied the garden up and got all the wood out ready for the winter fires, oh and did about 5 loads of washing image such an exciting weekend haha

• Options
    Hi Mal. I hope you are well.

Just been for my thrice weekly drink of swimming pool, nipped back into work, off to do a gentle run later to see if I can be hopeless at two sports in one day image
  • Options

Thanks for not forgetting who I am!! I've done no running at all in the last couple of months, exhausted doesn't even cover it. Luckily I'm right at the end of a busy and stressful time and the very first plan is a run. Can't wait to get out there, I'm sure I've lost fitness but I'll build it up slowly.

I've missed too much but I'm dying to hear how you've all been, can I have a cheat sheet of what you've all been up to please? How's running going and (more importantly) how is life treating you all?

• Options

Hi Mal

Great to hear from you!!!! new you'd be busy with the family!

My cheat sheet - my other half is working in kos at the moment so i've been on my own since beginning of august image 

on the plus side though, i've lost half a stone in weight and have been doing lots of exercise so i'm hot when he gets back image 

Running is going ok - same old same old - small races and just enjoying it!  

Don't worry about loss of fitness - they say it doesn't take so long to get it back.  

Maam - I will post the magazine this week to you! hang on in there!  x x

Silver - lol!  Mrs S wanting something.  Sometimes, us women can be pretty cool about things (but you're prob right - let us know when she mentions the new car / designer shoes / holiday with the girls!)

Stripes - did the pool taste good today?  I dread to think about swimming pool water.

Booey - what's the next event for you?  With the autumn drawing in, the races are running out! 

• Options

Ewww. Hadn't thought of it like that image

• Options
    This is my 14th run and I LOVE IT running is FANTASTIC! Makes me feel on top of the world!!!!
  • Options

Hi Margrit!  you got those 'feel good' hormones going on when you run image

• Options

Hi everyone

Sorry just a quick pop in, club run last night did 5.5 miles enjoyed it image

Em - Santa Run in December, 5 miles I think.  Silverstone next March, thats it at the moment but looking image

• Options

Hi all

Still not doing great, today a bad day with knee collapsing all day.  Given in and having comfort food, but a last down before hitting the exercise hard, well as hard as I can get away with.

The good new is I've today picked up my new glasses so a bit of a makeover in progress.  I've got a visit to a department to apply for a new job closer to home. Oh and OH took me Christmas window shopping at the weekend (early I know) but as the sale was on got a leather jacket. It is a bit tight but wearable tight, best to get that way with the weight I still want to loose.  The best bit is it's a size 10! A big one I think but I'm still having that one image

Mal - My cheat sheet is that I've been off work with a bad need since June, had surgery July. Still made Cuba, just. Back at work just on a phased return.  Feeling down and stressing as can't run, but trying to get there. Still hate work and especiallly the travel. Pray for a lotto win. Good news is me and OH still really happy and loving life, making the most of what we can do.

Stripes - Enjoy the swimming, I've still not made the pool image On the to do list.

Silver - hows the tready?

Em/Boo - Good reports as always. image

• Options
    Evening All. Well I can at long last report some....wait for it....running!! Yes, having taken the plunge and purchased my treadmill I've been running like its going out of fashion for the last 3 evenings - had to really as I don't want Mrs S saying I told you it wouldn't get used.

I have to say I love it too - surprisingly - I can do a bit before dinner, eat, put kids to bed, and do a bit later on all with the footie on in the background. I've been shifting it too. I ran a solid 10 mins at 8mph and I've done some 30min programmes on top too. I'm knackered and aching but it's great fun. For the first time I've taken my heart rate too. It's about 60 at rest but 144 after 10 mins of 8mph which is probably dangerous at my age. The good thing is within a min it's back down to 80ish which hopefully means I'm still quite fit! I reckon I've covered about 8 miles in the last 3 evenings.

A special hello to Mal ...hello... Where've you been?

Quick Update on my life Hols, hot, Barcelona, work, Paralympics, school starting, my 5yo first day, work, footie season starting, work, my 5yo birthday party, work, work and more work. Phew no wonder I'm shattered.