Options

2012 Marathon thread

Comments

• Options
    AGf- enjoy the break image

Just over 9m tonight before facing shopping....A 6.6kg free range bronze turkey has just taken up residence in my fridge image a weight on the fridge shelf, but off my mind! image

Work over here too!!!! Until Jan 7 th imageimageimageimage
  • Options
    Hello everyone, weekly long run for me today, nice 20 miler which was tough, legs are a bir sore now
  • Options
    Lol at Jason " I know the ghost of Christmas future is from A Christmas Carol, I was asking what the the future was likeimage"

Nice running AGF and Lulu, what you getting Lulu for Christmas? Our cats have a new climb and look platform (spoilt rotten).

Jason nice running mate I'm sure your glad of the holiday break, this is the first year where I'm not working Christmas or New year and it's only because I'm on the sick to the 9th January. I would rather have my wrist back to normal, it's still twice the size of the other one and hurts like hell..........

MG1 welcome nice 20 what marathon are you doing? And what sort of time are you aiming for?
  • Options
    TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

AGF thanks, hope Lulu enjoyed the run.

HM thanks

jason enjoy the break! Well done on the 9m

MG welcome to the thread; well done on the 20 miler

NP ouch, hope the wrist settles down quickly. 

---

Chucking it down here. Couple of miles on my own, 5m with the club and then finished with some strides while they dug into mince pies.  HR much better today.  image

• Options

Nice running everyone, well done on the 20 miler MG.

Hope everyone is in the festive spirit now and looking forward to a break from work. I know I am image

Also hope that no one is having problems with flooding, feel really sorry for those that do... takes so long to get back to normal. Nightmare image

Managed a couple of decent [very muddy and exceptionally wet] cross country runs this week. Off away for the weekend to Hampshire [and the floods, although our relatives aren't affected thankfully] so looking to fit in a 10-12 miler if I can.

Take care all and Happy Christmas image

• Options
    thanks for the welcome guys , I am running the Rotterdam next April, first marathon for me. Aiming for 3.45 ideally with training going well with three 20 millers under my belt all around 2.51 - 2.55 Just planning on keeping the long runs going for the next couple of months to get me there in good shape
  • Options

Good to see Lulu still keen on the running AGF! image

Welcome MG1, sounds like you have a plan.

jason, will you be doing the cooking? image

Good that the HR better Teknik.

NP take care of that wrist. You've done another great weeks training. Whatever I buy for Beanie she'll be into the shopping bag once it's empty! image

jayc stay safe with all that water around! Raining here now quite heavily, not nice at all and almost dark. image

HM4 I hope all is well with you and you are still managing a short run now and again.

Had a terrible run this morning, it's been a tough week and think it caught up with me. Not able to face my morning coffee which is not a good sign. Got to mile 7 and stitch was so bad I kept having to stop, it never really went away. Most of the run after that was off road so it was always going to be a bit slower but HR very high and I actually had to stop and sit down at mile 13 before I keeled over!! So cut run short at 15 miles instead of the planned 18. Not at all hungry when I got in either which is not me. image Anyway hopefully it's just one of these things rather than getting unfit. imageimage Feeling gloomy...

F

• Options
    Fiona- well done on sticking it out! I always do the cooking image

MG- hi image

Jay- nice playing in the mud

???2 supermarkets taken on today and an oven cleaned! Nothing like a nice relaxing break from work! image 6m planned for later- lot of surface water on the roads here!
  • Options
    Good running and enjoy the mince pies Teknik. Have a Good Christmas too Jayc....hope you manage to get your run in ( i find it clears the mind with family around )  Welcome and good luck MG.... With times in training - you may surprise yourself once you taper... Fiona, well done on the 15 - in very testing conditions both outside and with you not feeling well. Think you did the right thing. Take care and rest up and get well.....I needed an extra hour or two this morning as I was tired after a long week. Hopefully rest will sort you out... Take care on the roads Jason....sounds like your sorted for cooking at Christmas !! Np - hope the wrist improves soon...I will let all the relatives but lulu pressies..... I hope you get to enjoy your extended christmas break.  Lulu had a well deserved rest day today....however I did a 2.5 hour jog in the gym ( boring - but watched the arsenal game on TV ). Did 16.65 miles for my first ( almost) long run of the campaign. Thought I should build up to the 20 milers slowly. I will do 3 miles with Lulu ( she loves it )  tomorrow to make it another 50+ miles for the week tomorrow !!   ....now where are those chocolates, mince pies, bottles of red wine etc !!  
  • Options

Battening down the hatches here with winds gusting over 40 kts, rain lashing down, all boats cancelled.image

No running since Tuesday!

• Options

AGF- well done. No 20s here for a few weeks. No rush!image As for mince pies, finding out that each one of the little darlings took 2.5m to run off put me off them a little image

OH- Take care.....image

2 supermarkets taken on today and an oven cleaned! So much for the first day of the holiday!!

6.46m recovery run done. VERY wet and windy!!

Right, going to have a look at next week's schedule and try to shift things around a bit. No chance of doing the planned 4m and 10m on Tuesday!!image Or so I'm told....image

• Options

Its awful OH, and I think there is more to comeimage

• Options
    Indeed Kaz, Sunday is forecast to be worse ...
  • Options

Fiona well done on the 15 think you made the right choice to cut your run short your HR also seemed up about 10 to 15 bpm take it easy for a day or so and fingers crossed it's not the lurgy thats going around. Zac and Zoe will be in the box before I have the play thing built for themimage.

Jason well done on your run after the shops and oven, did the shops again todayimage hate crowds of people with all them germs and stuff is the world coming to an end as i cant fit anything else in th fridge......... I have just finished cooking a Balti and Korma as my three sons and grandaughter are coming round tomorrow and I didn't want to do a Christmas dinnerimage...... But will get out for 2x 6 mile runs on the 25th image

AGF well done for your run in the gym  16 miles on the treadmill is not always easy.Running up my hill this morning was like running up a river.....

OH and Kaz we have had it here for the past two days it's about time it was over youimage Dont want to do my LSR in it tomorrow morning.....

• Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

MG1,

Hi & welcome to the thread.

Fiona,

Not a chance because work has been really busy & draining however hopefully tomorrow I'll get out.

-----------

Well done on everyone's training.

• Options
    TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

Jayc enjoy the floods in Hampshire!

MG those are quick 20 milers for a 3:45 target...

Fiona sorry to hear about the run...hope you're felling better now - must be just one of those days...

jason nice work!

AGF well done on the long run and the 50+ week.  Enjoy the nibbles ( a little)...

OH take care!

Kaz you too!

HM hope you manage to get out today

NP good luck the LSR

---

10.73m painfully slow plod this morning.  Knee sore again, so back on ice...

• Options

Well done on the 10 miles Tek - but Look after yourself. Build steadily as you can as too much too soon can be counter productive...  ( sorry for teaching you egg sucking ) 

• Options
    TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭
    Thanks AGF...it was the first run on the road, so I think I'll stick to the grass/ mud for a while longer...
  • Options
    Tekniklaus, well not sure what time to expect as it will be my first marathon so into the unknown , have got half m pb of 1.40 from october so based expected finishing time on that.
  • Options
    macemace ✭✭✭

Welcome MG

jason - i was horrified in the week to see how many calories in a mince pie  image

AGF - there's something very satisfying when the dogs have been out for a good walk and they spend all afternoon crashed out on their beds image

Tek - good that you're steadily getting it back

I'm just off out for a 16 ( w 8 @ MP ) I think my hangover on top of 5 hours kip will make this a toughy image

• Options
    TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

Ouch mace - hope it goes ok...

MG - 3.45 is very do-able on a 1.40 half (there was a thread somewhere that collated peoples' half vs mara times, and the male first-time average was 2.29x the half time).    I think the general thrust of the advice you'll get here and elsewhere on RW is to slow your long runs down - you need to adapt physiologically to last 26.2 miles, and those changes occur at low intensities (not at MP).  Also running 20 miles at or close to MP is likely to lead to burn-out / injury.  Having said that, if you're feeling fine at that pace, maybe your goal should be higher...image

• Options
    TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

I've been ordered to open my Xmas present early...

/members/images/681851/Gallery/shoewarmer_(640x624).jpg

Mrs Tek couldn't stand my damp shoes any longer...I got a shoe warmer

• Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Tek,

I've got out in a fashion.  A 45 min walk round town's winter market.  That is one cool present.

----------

Well done on everyone's training.

• Options

Tek LOL

Very wet and windy here overnight

• Options
    17.51 miles done felt like 20+ in the wind house full now so can't even get it on to Fetch till later.

Tek nice image

I will read back later and catch up with everyone.
  • Options

mace- running with a hangover isn't what's meant by endurance training!image Hope the head cleared

Tek- Hate to say it, but I think you should STOP until that knee is properly mendedimage Interesting present- I've got a radiatorimage

NP- Nice LR in the wind- makes a big differenceimage

1.2lbs put on here in the last week of dining out and mince pies..image. 16.01m for me today followed by 0.43m warm down. 16.01m in 1.52.19 (7.01 av) splits: 7:27 7:32 7:29 7:23 7:29 7:26 7:16 7:13 6:59 6:56 6:50 6:36 6:35 6:26 6:24 6:15 2image Ok for a fat boy! image

• Options

83.92m for the week. It's a startimage

• Options
    Tek, thanks for the advice, will see how it goes but maybe my goal time should lower below 3.45 but think I will asses in the new year pending on training but looking forward to the challenge!
  • Options

Some good running going on here guys.

My training was coming along nicely until Friday at our works xmas night out.

After a few sherbets me and Mrs YC were on the dancefloor having a wee boogie,when some random 17-18 stone man mountain was trying to make his way to the bar via the crowded dance floor when his full weight went onto my left foot,purely accidental i know.The result being im in plaster from my toes to my knee with a broken metatarsal bone in my foot.To be fair the guy did apologise and we both didnt realise at the time how serious it was.I got back home and fell asleep on the sofa with my foot a bit sore ,when i woke in the morning it was twice the size and really painful.

Orthopedic appointment tomorrow to find out how long im in plaster for.

So fingers crossed that its not too long   and i can recover from it fairly quickly

• Options

YC- really bad news, mate- gutted for you. Hope recovery is swift....