Options

2012 Marathon thread

Comments

• Options
    Lots of great stuff going on here and lots of reading back, no running for me again today still feeling crapimage Glad I started early in building up the miles as the last 5 weeks have seen me run 72. 73, 77, 82 and 51 miles so a week out isn't going to kill me and I will start back easy. Hope everyone has a great day and night and all the very best sor 2012.
  • Options

I don't know about running pace, but we need to slow down the posting pace- I can't keep upimage

Off shortly for a slow recovery run ( or make that slow training session as it will be over 5m)image

• Options
    Spoons- I'm racing 5 miles today. Good luck tomorrow.
    NP- hope you feel better soon.
    Teknik- oh dear. I can't say I have experienced anything close to what you describe. Sure, the last 10k was a struggle both times and I prayed for it to be over but never suffered any ill effects after crossing the finish line. Hope I won't...
    Well off to my race. Happy New Year everyone.
  • Options
    TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

Mon: Hey, I'm improving...not sick until after the race, nowimage

NP: hope you're well enough to enjoy tonight.

Jason: LOL

10 muddy slow miles with the running club this morning. Happy New Year!

• Options
    Highest ever mileage month for me with 182 this month, only 607 for the year but I was only on around 270 by October 1st so I'm pleased how my running has ramped right back up again recently.

Looking forward to 2012 now, Happy New Year everyone.
  • Options

Spoons and Mon- good luck with the races tomorrowimage Anyone else?

Tek- nice runningimage

MF- well done on the mileage increaseimage

8m slow today to round off the training for 2011. 2012 gets off to a slow start tomorrow as I'm cutting back on my LR after yesterday's sessionimage

• Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Gobi,

I bet 12 min miles must feel as though you're walking to you.

Hi KW & welcome to the thread.

Teknik,

That's a very descriptive way of putting things.

--------

Well done on everyone's training and good luck for the races over New Year.

My run today didn't happen.  It was a combination of feeling under the weather and laziness.  Still the training for my first longer race this year doesn't officially start until mid Feb.
  • Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    HY4 - that is my point people claim they cannot run slower yet I can run 5 min miles and 12 min miles. All it takes is training and concentration.

Did Bushy parkrun today along with 823 others, Rach and I went as our friend became the first woman to reach 250 parkruns !!!

Ran a few miles either side.

Tek - interesting story there and maybe not as extreme for everyone but people should take note of your story and maybe look at their marathons.

So here are some question to be answered by the masses.(If you are brave enough)

What is you biggest positive split in a marathon ?

I did a plus 6 minute blowing up after 22 miles

Has anyone got a huge negative split ?

When racing properly I can only offer about 1 minute but I did run 36.30 in the last 10km.
  • Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Gobi,

Well done to your friend.  That's an awesome achievement.  How many years has it taken her?

I got to 10 miles in 2hrs14 and then the finish was 6hrs13! However an injury did come back and haunt me and I was running for charity so didn't take the sensible option of switching to the half.

• Options
    Gobi, in my only marathon I did 1:59 in first half and 2:10 in second half. Not great but also likely in first marathon... Gunning for more even in the next one....
  • Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    AGF - why should an 11 minute positive split seem likely in a first marathon?

Not saying you are wrong and it is very common but with all the good advice out there and coaching these days there is no need really.

My first marathon had a positive split of much more than that :¬)

3.04 at 21 miles and finished in 4.12 ish

I did get a torn hamstring for my trouble though :¬0
  • Options
    1:54/ 1:58 splits at Chester. The second half of the course was more hilly then the first half though.
  • Options
    Gaz- indeed- especially the last 2 milesimage 1:27.35/ 1:29.10 for me. Would like to run a negative split race next yearimage
  • Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    For those wondering I never usually mention my first ever marathon as I was a charity runner who was not prepared. I usually only talk about my running from the point where I was a runner not a footballer doing a marathon. :¬)

HY4 - she was a park runner in the very early days when there was only 1 parkrun so over 7 years.
  • Options
    1:30/ 1:43 at VLM last yearimage
  • Options
    2011 Stats: miles= 3422 (+6.4% on 2010), time= 464 hrs (+4.74%), av pace= 8.08 (9 secs faster)image
  • Options
    TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

I don't think I should play this game.....

...and the Berlin experience was the least gruesome. image

On a lighter note, I was in the last couple of miles of the Lucca marathon in 2009 (Tuscany...think 30C in October). They didn't provide any sports drinks - just diluted salt - and after failing to take enough I cramped up.  After some long stretches and some yelling I got back up and started running.  I came up behind an old boy with "100 Maratone" on his shirt, limping back to town.  I patted him on the shoulder and shouted "Forza!" (be strong!); he picked up his stride and we jogged along for maybe 20 paces when the cramp hit me again and I pulled up in pain. He turned round, looked at me in my Union Jack vest and, in perfect English, said "What - you think this is some xxxing relay?"

• Options
    Hi all

Lots going on as usual.

Technik- that must of been awful...... But it certainly was a hot day about 2x as hot as I'm used to. It was my first marathon and a brilliant experience.

I had a positive split of 9mins.

Did my LSR today instead of tomorrow, but must hang my head in shame as I got lost and ended up doing longer than planned but at an average of 10.30 m/m. Enjoyed the run though. image
  • Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Teknik,

That sounds a priceless moment!

Jason,

Well done.

Kaz,

Well done.

----------

Here's my stats from this year:-  264.99 miles ran, in 48:12:41 and ave pace 10:47 and just over 5 hrs in the pool.

• Options
    Gobi, had I followed your advice and set out at 8:35 pace instead of the 8:55 pace that I did then I think the positive split would have Been worse.... image

I am still building endurance so hopefully this will help in last part of the spring marathon...

Tekniks... Two excellent posts of your tales in past 24 hours... Both brought a smile ( of recognition)
  • Options
    TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

Good luck Spoons and Mon for their races tomorrow. image

Excellent running, everyone.

Housekeeping: Adding Keyboard Worrier.

08-Jan 5 Tarns VinterMaraton (Denmark) Gobi
    22-Jan Gloucester 50k Gobi
    29-Jan
    05-Feb
    10-Feb Quadzilla day 2 Gobi
    12-Feb
    19-Feb
    25-Feb Belvoir Challenge Spoons
    04-Mar Barry 40m Gobi
    11-Mar
    18-Mar Rome Cjay85
    25-Mar
    01-Apr Sussex Mathschick
    01-Apr South Downs HopetoFinish
    01-Apr Santiago Liam3494
    08-Apr
    15-Apr Brighton Holly Liz, AGF, VikW, Dan Ellingworth, Solent Runner, Claire C, Luca79, Pete the Plod, Franners
    15-Apr Paris Roof gimp, Kaz, Ai Lyn Tan
    22-Apr London Jason D, Spoons, Fiona C, No Pain, Ratzer. Minni. HopetoFinish, Brizo, Pete Tizard, Muppley, Gazelle!! I wish, Running Tortoise, Daytime Runner, Keyboard Worrier

29-Apr Manchester Rob Kilby. Em Scott, GazOC
    29-Apr Milton Keynes Teknik
    06-May North Dorset Tim Lebbon

06-May Sunderland Keyboard
    07-May Belfast Chicaboo

13-May Halstead
    19-May White Peak
    20-May Windermere Rachael
    20-May Copenhagen Mon,
    20-May Cardiff Ultra Jason d
    27-May Edinburgh Bodytalk, Mitiog, Jennie McC
    03-Jun
    10-Jun
    17-Jun Poppyline Spoons
    24-Jun
    01-Jul Lakeland Trails Tim Lebbon
    08-Jul
    15-Jul Fairland Valley 50k Spoons
    22-Jul
    29-Jul
    05-Aug
    12-Aug
    19-Aug
    26-Aug
    02-Sep Wolverhampton? SleepyCat
    02-Sep High Peak Ultra 40m? Spoons
    09-Sep Nottingham? Mathschick. Bacchus Marathon
    16-Sep
    23-Sep New Forest
    30-Sep Loch Ness kaz, young cowboy
    30-Sep Berlin ToffeeLiz, Ian Boyd, Keyboard
    07-Oct Chester Compo, Jason D, GazOC
    07-Oct Chicago Fiona C
    14-Oct
    21-Oct Abingdon AGF, HopetoFinish
    27-Oct Snowdon Jason D
    28-Oct
    29-Oct Dublin No Pain, Ian Boyd

04-Nov New York: Mon

• Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    AGF - :¬0, I better quit now

• Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Found out that my possible marathon has a time limit which puts it open to fast(ish) walkers so it's looking 75% likely I'll be doing it.

08-Jan 5 Tarns VinterMaraton (Denmark) Gobi
    22-Jan Gloucester 50k Gobi
    29-Jan
    05-Feb
    10-Feb Quadzilla day 2 Gobi
    12-Feb
    19-Feb
    25-Feb Belvoir Challenge Spoons
    04-Mar Barry 40m Gobi
    11-Mar
    18-Mar Rome Cjay85
    25-Mar
    01-Apr Sussex Mathschick
    01-Apr South Downs HopetoFinish
    01-Apr Santiago Liam3494
    08-Apr
    15-Apr Brighton Holly Liz, AGF, VikW, Dan Ellingworth, Solent Runner, Claire C, Luca79, Pete the Plod, Franners
    15-Apr Paris Roof gimp, Kaz, Ai Lyn Tan
    22-Apr London Jason D, Spoons, Fiona C, No Pain, Ratzer. Minni. HopetoFinish, Brizo, Pete Tizard, Muppley, Gazelle!! I wish, Running Tortoise, Daytime Runner, Keyboard Worrier

29-Apr Manchester Rob Kilby. Em Scott, GazOC
    29-Apr Milton Keynes Teknik
    06-May North Dorset Tim Lebbon

06-May Sunderland Keyboard
    07-May Belfast Chicaboo

13-May Halstead
    19-May White Peak
    20-May Windermere Rachael
    20-May Copenhagen Mon,
    20-May Cardiff Ultra Jason d
    27-May Edinburgh Bodytalk, Mitiog, Jennie McC
    03-Jun
    10-Jun
    17-Jun Poppyline Spoons
    24-Jun
    01-Jul Lakeland Trails Tim Lebbon
    08-Jul
    15-Jul Fairland Valley 50k Spoons
    22-Jul
    29-Jul
    05-Aug
    12-Aug
    19-Aug
    26-Aug
    02-Sep Wolverhampton? SleepyCat
    02-Sep High Peak Ultra 40m? Spoons
    09-Sep Nottingham? Mathschick
    09-Sep Bacchus Marathon HY4
    16-Sep
    23-Sep New Forest
    30-Sep Loch Ness kaz, young cowboy
    30-Sep Berlin ToffeeLiz, Ian Boyd, Keyboard
    07-Oct Chester Compo, Jason D, GazOC
    07-Oct Chicago Fiona C
    14-Oct
    21-Oct Abingdon AGF, HopetoFinish
    27-Oct Snowdon Jason D
    28-Oct
    29-Oct Dublin No Pain, Ian Boyd
    04-Nov New York: Mon

• Options
    2481 miles for the year PB in marathon 2:58:18 and half marathon 1:20:20.
    Plan for 2012 set new PB's in the marathon and half marathon.

Jason, Mr Spoons and Fiona we should try to meet up this year at the VLM.

Chicken Curry, Mulled wine and Brandy kill or cure with the bloody cold lol

All the very best to everyone for 2012.
  • Options
    1st mara positive split of 5min30sec. The second 2 min. That's not too bad I think...
    The 5 mile race was tough. Only managed to do it at a pace a couple of second per km slower than my best 10k pace so not great but it was fun.
    Well time for some vino I thinkimage)
  • Options
    Gobi, you only advise on the info you get, it's me whom needs to improve...was pleased with first effort... Hoping to build from here..
    Two good year Jason and NP. For me was 1349 miles and a year free from injury except a fee itb niggles post marathon...planning for 1500+ in 2012... And to stay away from injury. Learnt a lot from folk this year... So thanks.

Not many/any for Stratford this year- surprising!!

• Options
    NP- It would be good to meet up- but difficult at London- as this year provedimage
  • Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    Brief overview of 2011

280 miles for Dec
    Rest days none
    Marathons 2 including a win.
    Trotted a few 5kms
    2851 miles for the year
    Rest days loads due to injuries and niggles
    Races too many to mention but the win count is ok

800 metre goal achieved and more (best time since I was a kid)
    5km goal reached
    10km goal reached
    10 mile goal reached
    half marathon goal reached
    Marathon goal for the year missed
    100km goal missed

Actual PBs just that 800 metres and everything else was nowhere near but also not targetted.

Injury in August put paid to my marathon plans and forced a rethink and a disappointing trip to NICE. (Great Holiday though)

December has seen a good start to BASE so hoping and planning for better things in 2012
  • Options
    Gobi- onwards and upwardsimage
  • Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

AGF & Gobi,

Well done.