Options

sub 4 hour group,if anyone wants to get together

Comments

• Options
    Hi Julian

Well done on long run....I am to 23 mile runs and use LS 2 bottle plus 2 energy bars.

BNTM
    Made note of your number will hopefully see you... but you never know which lady am in the race so keep your witts about you;-)
    Did you get your trainers? I am not even going to go down how many trainers we all have or how much kit we buy as I have a feeling I would come top of the list:-)My best bit of kit apart from HRM is my concurve gilet it is fantastic keeps the wind out and you don't over heat!!

Did do retail therapy today a very enjoyable but expensive time,but I don't do it very often;-)

Seriously GOOD LUCK everyone can't wait to see the race reports when we get back hopefully we will all do as well as we want!!!!!

Good luck all doing long runs/training make it a good one out there

Can't believe it will be hail stoning tomorrow it is the sort of weather we get in Wales but today has been like a summers day warm and plenty of Sun!!
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    I squeezed 3 tubes of gel into my pocket at the back of my shorts last year.
    Funny what adrenaline does.. I didn't notice the big blister at the top of my left bum cheek until later that night!
    Still scarred.
  • Options
    And about my calves! It really is more the inside of the right one and rest day did not help.
    Think I might get someone to have a look soon as its been hurting for over a week now.
    A massage might be worth a try first though.
    Definitely going to take it easy tomorrow and not 'race'.
    Good luck everyone.
  • Options
    Hi Julian - good disance today - I've no idea about gels - I'm practising with Lucozade Sport on my long runs now and it does seem to help (and luckily its also just gone on multibuy special offer in Tesco's...)

natnif - great continued recovery from last weekend - 21 in 3 makes me want to run faster and further tomorrow (only 16 more hours to wait...)

WP - didn't buy any trainers in the end - there was a big queue (with quite a few people talking about "running the marathon") and I only had 45 minutes between rugby games on tv - I'm tempted by those concurve windproof tops (and t-shirts) but have resisted so far (but the price on wiggle is so low that I know one day...) My biggest extravagance is probably my Timex SDM...

Finally, if any of you do see me tomorrow then please let's *not* talk about the rugby - after all there may be some French, Irish or Italian folk around...
  • Options
    Caraid

I don't like the gels at all but the sports bars really work for me,training partner has noticed 10 minutes after eating some I am full of energy again and finisgh the long run a lot stronger!!!

Calves I have a massage every 2 weeks and really worth it as My calves act up sometimes, worth having a massage first then if that does not work a physio it will have to be.

BNTM

I got my concurve gilet from Wiggle a good service and it has nice big pockets (I need pockets for my ventolin)and the ladies fit really does suit my frame in fact i like most of the concurve clothing it is well made.Go on you know you want to get it;-) I like the tops too but trying not to spend money at the mo.....

LS on multi buy ....I better check our Tesco out although I have .....18 bottles they were on BOGOF in our Spar store near work..

Promise I won't talk rugby if I spot you tomorrow!!

Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    i've got no problem talking rugby . . .
    . . . or foootball . . .

• Options
    Yep Concurve do make nice stuff....

Did my 21 miler yesterday - The Dome and back. Legs felt very sluggish from an early stage so even though HR was low I couldn't really go any faster - 3:19.

I guess it's no coincidence that my fastest long run (18 miles in 2:30) came one week after returning from injury. Shows the importance of a good taper.

Races on the next two Sundays for me so do I take it a bit easier for better race times or keep up the hard training for FLM?
    (bit of both I suspect)

Cariad - Best you get your calf niggle seen to by a physio then if it's lasted a week.

No gels just water for me in training and then Lucozade Sport in races.
  • Options
    Hi all - thanks for the friendly welcome!

How did all you Reading 1/2 marathon runners do? I had a really good run yesterday - 19.5 miles in 2hrs49.

I've got a few niggles at the moment - sore knee and ankle. I have booked into see a physio on Tuesday to get them checked out to make sure that its nothing serious.

Looking forward to hearing about some new PB's on here!!
  • Options
    what you smokin' bntm?
    cheeze-man, whats the distance around battersea park?
    JPVD (jus' lurkin)
  • Options
    Go on then BNTM........do tell....you know you want to....

Dunno JPVD....say 2 miles?
  • Options
    :-(
    ;-(

Come on BNTM do tell sorry I never saw you at Reading

Nice to meet Alex P and NRG_B who had a fantastic race will leave him tell all about it.

Poppy is not happy ITSB played up at mile 12 I was on course till then doing 8 minute miles way in front of Training partner and I struggled with it in so much pain that he beat me by 30 secs!!!!

So very unhappy off for massage tomorrow and will book Physio appointment as it looks af if my back is out again after lifting something heavy 2 weeks ago when I should have insisted employee did it!!
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    Oh dear Poppy....much sympathy to you.

Get it seen to straight away and good luck for a speedy recovery.

I'm thinking much quickness for BNTM but he's gone all secretive...

nrg-b....what can I say....brilliant !!
  • Options
    Sorry to hear the (very) bad news, WP. Look after yourself - the important date is 6 weeks away.

It started horribly today - hardly slept last night cos my nose kept blocking up (which then resulted in snoring which then resulted in a sequence of very sharp rib jabs...), then got stuck in an hour long tail-back on the M4 which meant we didn't get into a car park until 9:30 (and it sounds like we were lucky compared to some!), then when the race fnally started I found myself coughing through the first mile and my knee started hurting lots up the first hill.

But I gave my nose a good blow on my lucky running hanky, and somehow things just got better - I got to 4 miles in 31:31, then 8 in 1:01:20, then 10 in 1:15:23, and then it felt like hard work along the dual carriageway, but there were lots of people to run at ad pass - I'd started way back in the field and it is so much nicer passing people than being passed....

Then the strong wind and that lovely sleet slowed me a bit but amazingly I made it into the stadium in 1:38:10! That's over 15 minutes faster than 7 years ago when I last ran a half marathon - and is 14 minutes better than any of the 13 milers I've done in training so far...

Sorry again to those of you who are having a tougher time of it. Also sorry I didn't meet any of you - I'm afraid the car park gods were against me getting there on time.
  • Options
    nrg-bnrg-b ✭✭✭
    Hi Y'All,

What can I say?

((((((((((Welsh Poppy))))))))))

I hope Wales is proud of her newest Son. You English better watch out. As soon as the wonderful Welsh Poppy is back on form you guys are in for it.

Great to meet you Alex Popplewell. How did you do. I'll resurrect the 'Running in the City' thread and let me know if you (and anyone else) would like to arrange for lunchtime running in the City.

BNTM: Well Done. We waited for another 45-50 mins waiting for others in that freezing blizzard. Was so pooped I couldn't even jump up down to keep warm.

Percy: Many thanks. If I may, I would still like to stay in this group for FLM, please?
  • Options
    More ((((WP))))

Of course nrg-b, please do stay. I'm sure I'm not the only one to have some questions for you....

For starters: No anaerobic work of any kind? just loads of low HR stuff(Base Training) and more recently tempo/threshold running? Or maybe you really are the chosen one ;-)

What sort of running since last weeks HM effort? I'm interested in the taper you see.
  • Options
    BNTM - well done matey - great effort in trying circumstances.....I already knew you were strong though...;-)
  • Options
    nrg-bnrg-b ✭✭✭
    Percy: I'll certainly try to answer your questions the best I can. Simply put, our bodies are forever burning fuel aerobically (with oxygen) and anaerobically (without). Very hard runs are more anaerobic then aerobic. From the Hadd tests (see BT thread), my LT level is about 163. Anything above this starts to fatigue me and can be considered more anaerobic then aerobic. All my training runs are kept well below LT hence the term 'Aerobic Base Building'. A tempo/hill run would push me over & above LT. Though preparation for key races would involve anaerobic work in the final stages to improve muscle strength and ability to move legs rapidly etc etc. I hope to do this type of sharpening for Abingdon marathon in Oct. Till then plodding along between 133 to 153 HR suits me fine.

The other peeps who are also BT'ing have had similar experiences to me. For example Ratbag PB'ed bigtime today at Reading. I'm certainly not the chosen one, Meeeester Cheeser ;-)
  • Options
    nrg-b - It's all very interesting, thanks.

I'm pretty sure my LT is around 170 (maybe less)ish and on a good strong leg day I can keep going well at around 160. However there are plenty of other days when heart/lungs are strong but the legs are weak. I'm assuming this is down to hard training and should be sorted by a good taper.

What amazes me about your results is where you've found the leg strength from without doing much/any hills/speed/interval training? (please tell me you've done some!)

After FLM I'll be returning to the 150 HR plodding routine I know and love :-)

I guess what I'm looking for is an argument to avoid all future speed work...:-D
  • Options
    What can I say what a wonderful bunch of forumites you all are :-)

Thank you for all my hugs just what I need:-)you have lifted my spirits

Wales is indeed very proud of her new Son NRG-B I can spot good Welsh potential:-)

Looks like training partner only beat me by 18 secs but still hard to take when I was stronger all the way around did 1.49.21 results were up on website last night!!!

BNTM

Will get myself sorted and
    Good luck with your training or resting today a great result you must be on cloud 9 all bodes well for London for you!!

Percy
    well done on long run hope all goes well this coming weekend at you race

NRG-B-very interesting what you have been saying most or all of my training is at the top range 155-180 and I am always been told to slow down but I do a lot on intervlas and hill work and afraid HR goes through the roof at these sessions.

Hope to chat some more about this.

Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    Hello all.

WP.. hope you fix up quick!

WP and Percy... going to try and get an appt for a massage today, going to hold off phys for the mo tho as things were a lot more fluid like at Siverstone.
    After running down the stairs to catch the tube and going 'ouch', I thought I would really just take it easy.
    So I had a very comfortable and easy 2.10 (inc irritating toilet stop, without which an obvious 1.30;)).. AND NO PAIN! How much of that is to do with the 400mgs of ibuprofen that I necked an hour before we will never know - but all in all, feeling more on track.

WP again, I did not have issue with the gels, bar the GBH they inflicted on me! Would be interested in bars if you think they give a more sustained lift though?
  • Options
    BNTM,

Good time at Reading, was that clock or chip time? I finished in 1:40:58 clock time with 1:38:27 chip time. The end was tuff with the horizontal sleet. I think I started off way too slow but end up finishing fast. I didn’t pass the halfway point until gone 53 minutes which means second half of the race was somewhere around 47 minutes.
  • Options
    Not had a sports massage before..
    Place where I had physio last year has quoted £50 for an hour, my gym is saying £40 for 30 mins..
    Eh?????
    Any suggestions? WP how long do you have?
  • Options
    morning guys.i had a great fun run yesterday,met up with the new york 2002 crowd-also a bit slowed up by traffic,and then needed pitstoip etc didn't leave too much chatting time.,also great to meet wp and nrg-b;our little group pottered round in 2.07 something,with seaweed setting metronomic 10 min mile pace until 10 miles then quickening up slightly.was just a very solid comfortable run,just what i need to build distance.haven't checked the site yet for exact time,tha's how relaxed i am.well done on your runs guys.i do aspire to run that fast one day bntm,it just may not be this year!

kit selection not great-was just in vest and shorts,so got pretty chilled despite retaing post xmas pounds.

gels,i love em-i use the sis lemon and blackcurrant flavours-not that they taste anything like that of course.but because they are isotonic you don't have to take extra water with them,they are thirst quenching too.i had one at 6 and one at 12 yesterday,and will pop about 4-about one every 45 mins,round a marathon.the good bit is that they aren't too sweet,unlike the lucozade stuff.in fact i made a big mistake last year having stuck to my own supply of sis by taking a LS gel at mile 24,it took me past the finish but an hour later i was sick as a pig.i guess its sensible to work out what works best for you.

also i was irritated by poor performance of gps yesterday,mine lost the satellites at mile 2,whereas seaweeds worked fine.they are identical....
  • Options
    Despite a few worrying sniffles on Saturday, I decided to run at Silverstone. Finished in around 1:40:50, missing my ideal aim of dipping under 100 minutes, but beating my PB by 1min 40s.

A good day, but I'm now worried about these big long runs coming up in the next month!
  • Options
    WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    Hi all, just popping in - boss keeps popping in too so I have to keep popping out again! All looks good to me, I watched my mates all do Thanet 20 yesterday, I did 8 miles very slow. No way I can do FLM, I am struggling so much now that to get round it would mean struggling all summer.
    My boyfriend did 20 in 2hrs 22 mins so I was very happy and proud for him.
    WP hope you are okay, the rest of you new and old - Keep up the good work, and I will see you at 13 and 21 miles!
    Wabo
    possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • Options
    Hi All

Sounds like some excellent times and runs yesterday.

Wabo, sorry to hear about the ongoing troubles - but a real huge thanks for the support - yesterday was a great reminder of how much the crowds matter - there were a lot of people cheering for the first 8 miles in Reading!

To all you gel users> will I be OK on just Lucozade? Or should I be trying to add something else?

WP> I am still on cloud nine - I'm dead chuffed. [Also that French pass was definitely forwards!]

Later

BNTM
  • Options
    Hi BNTM

Last year when I did the Edinburgh Marathon I used both Lucozade and gels - but have just read in John Binghams new book that you shouldn't mix the two. I can't remember the reason why but can let you know!
  • Options
    Bacon Roll> Good running - I can't work out if we matched each other the whole way around or whether you passed me somewhere along the dual carriageway or into the first stretch through the business park (just as it started coming down).

My gun time was 1:41:32 - 30 seconds behind you. I was at the 7 mile marker at about 54 minutes on my watch - so I reckon my second half was about 47 and a half minutes...

Now, where can I find another 6 minutes in order to run alongside Nell McAndrew?
  • Options
    RR2> I've just completed reading the same book last Friday - I think JB said he was against washing the gels down with Lucozade (he said to use water instead) as it left too much sugar in the stomach.

I'm more worried about whether LS on its own will give me enough food on its own... Maybe it's a bit of a peer pressure thing - everyone else is doing gels, should I be too?

P.S. I also followed their big race day advice on Sunday - the stuff about getting in the queue for the toilets and staying there until the very last second ;-)