Options

sub 4 hour group,if anyone wants to get together

Comments

• Options
    Blimey - makes my 2 pints of cider on Saturday look very conservative!
  • Options
    I was forced into it.... I am normally a half of shandy...
  • Options
    hi all.just back from murderous speedwork session-i'm trying to get alongside the rw schedule so i thought i'd find out what they had in store today.15x 200m,its a nice day so i've been down the docks running up and down.theory was 45s jog recovery,sadly it was more like 1 minute retch recovery,but i did get them done.not my favourite way to spend a lunchtime.then i scared myself by looking at where i was last year.this coming sunday was a 20 miler in 9 min miles,then a midweek 8 miler in 8.20 miles.funny i don't remember being that fit at all!no wonder iwas feeling confident of a sub 4 last time.
    so,like some of you i will continue here despite sub 4 not looking very likely...
    kinsey,1.50 for a half will see you right for speed if you build the stamina with the long runs.and you'll get rid of any booze pretty quickly.i find i need to drink quite a lot of water first thing (about a litre)if i'm running cos you tend to start the day dehydrated even if you haven't been boozing.and i tend to find that even if i start a longish run a bit saturated that soon wears off....

• Options
    Hi Alex,
    Do you think the speedwork is making much difference? I followed a Nike training schedule last summer before the 10k and didn't see any improvement at all, so I've gone back to just doing what I feel like - and just increasing the distance week on week for my marathon training. Not very scientific, but it seems to be working okay at the moment.
  • Options
    hi kinsey,it certainly satisfies the masochist in me,hopefully it'll help:i haven't really done a lot as yet so....
    for me at the moment i need to do something every day,so variety is good,and i need to lose some weight,but my shins are still reasonably sore as i build up mileage after my lay-off,so i don't feel like doing a long slow run every day.i think as with most things balance is the key.
  • Options
    Kinsey, I reckon one of my mistakes 7 years ago was not doing any faster runs - I developed this single gear running pace and the more I trained the slower I seemed to get.

Doing a weekly faster run seems to be helping me break that down this time (touch wood) - it seems to be helping me work out some of the weaknesses and inefficiencies in my running gait. It certainly feels like it exercises slightly different muscles!
  • Options
    Isn't there something about speedwork increasing your VO2 max & that is a GOOD THING apparently.
  • Options
    Well guys at least its getting lighter and warmer now, so I should be feeling a bit more inclined to do some speed work. I'm still trying to stick in a shorter faster run every week, but my short run today was just slow because my legs are still complaining massively after Reading.
  • Options
    To anyone who ran Reading and wants to know their chip finishing position, you might want to check out what the wonderful "Lee Hill 2" has done -http://www.leeandkate.com/Reading2004.csv

I've just moved up 200 places from 1448 to joint 1248-th place :-)
  • Options
    don't know about the vo2 max but it certainly does wonders for stopping you staying too awake in the afternoo.....zzzzzzzz
  • Options
    nrg-bnrg-b ✭✭✭
    Hey BNTM: LOL! I'd rather be plain old nrg-b then 'neo' !!

Kinsey: I'm recovering from Reading too. I've been running quite slowly to get the legs used to running again. Starting off on short periods (only 15mins yesterday). Perhaps 30 mins today. 60mins tomorrow and the rest of the week. Back to normal perhaps from Saturday.
  • Options
    Hi Percy, sorry I cna't seem to e-mail you either, I have to go off line now will try later or tomorrow to sort out my profile so we can exchange numbers.

Regards to everone

CA
  • Options
    BNTM

Just home and have magazine in front of me....it is a long article....I can fax it to you if you want??
    The next seminar is on the 18th March Thursday at 7.30 admission is free and is at St Marys University College at Strawberry Hill Twickenham!!

Would you beleive you are the second member of the forum i have helped with RF this week:-) don't even know why i subscribe to it anymore!!

Email me if you need any more details
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    Strawberry Hill Twickers. That's where I went to school :)! Used to have our Christmas carol concerts at St Mary's
  • Options
    Glad to hear its not just me NRG-B! I shuffled round my 25 min route this morning and didn't take a time because it would have been rubbish. Might try another short one tonight!
  • Options
    Thanks WP!

I'll be sure to let everyone know what I learn there - and also if anyone's interested there might still be space in the talk I'm going to on the 29th - this time in Teddington and given by Sonia O Sullivan.
  • Options
    No shoes.... What is the point of living in London ?
    Yoga room was too hot so slipped all over the place trying to sort calves out with downward dog.
    Hate speedwork.
    Feeling out of depth on this thread.
    Sub 4 feeling drastically out of reach again.

Genuinely glad everyone else is doing well though... and I can still get my head to touch my knees.

Alex P. You are going to beat me again.
  • Options
    rich

my hair looks bloody awful
    again!

great pics, really
    might be able to help with names --but not tonight
    losing the will to live
  • Options
    bollox
    wron g thread
    sorry
  • Options
    finished the sloe one

eh!

not on this thread, surely
  • Options
    Morning
    Alex P-well done on your training session yesterday...COME ON you can do it and speed work does work and you will see your times come down at all the races you do.i have knocked 4 minutes over the winter of my 10K time and I am really looking forward to my summer 10K's and hopeful knock more minutes of my times!!!

Cariad
    If you can't find shoes in London I have no hope in Wales:-(

Thanks to Hippo I checked the photo's out ,nice ones of sub 4hr crew NRG-B and Alex P!!

Now the bad news after physio yesterday my lower back/pelvis was out of alignment and needed treatment and then he clicked me back in place no lifting anything heavy ever as I seem to have a weakness for some reason!!!I will need my own personal kit bag carrier for races!!!.....and can't run for 5 days!!!!!!I felt so devastated by this news even was going to ignore this and just run but luckily I came to my sense's as FLM is the goal and if I did I might not make it and have put in a lot of work to get where I am,I was so worried I would lose fitness...so I am so looking forward to Saturday and the final onslaught of training.It is just you become so locked in and focused on our schedules that it makes us go stir crazy if we are unable to run!!

Good luck with training today make it a good one
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    WP - sorry to hear even more bad news!

I'll do an extra (slow) mile for you today.

Are you allowed to do anything else? The elliptical trainer in the gym maybe? If not, then don't fret as 5 days will pass real quick and you've got lots of really solid long runs under your belt... You can't lose that kind of stamina in a week!
  • Options
    nrg-bnrg-b ✭✭✭
    Hippo: Wrong thread? LOL!
    WP: I missed loads of days from late Jan & Feb due to lower back woes. Listen to the physio. Take the rest. IMHO, the joints, cartilege, tendons, muscles etc etc will get a good chance to recover. You will not lose aerobic (CV) fitness in five days. You won't even lose any muscular fitness. Even if you do, the muscles are easy to develop quickly - just carry on as you were :-)

Mental discipline is just as important as physical ability.

Photos of Reading ? Where???
  • Options
    Cariad - my only answer on the what's the point of London question is that it pays the bills... [but another downside is that the bills seem to be quite a lot higher!]

I think there are also some odd mental effects that happen in the few days (and even weeks) after these training races - I've been noticing quite a lot of mood swings over the last 2 days - you guys seem to get the smiling BNTM but the crew at work are getting the "sod off" one!

• Options
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    BNTM
    I will look forward to hear how I did on the slow mile today;-)

Physio never mentioned anything about ET and I have one at home;-) maybe I better wait for a few days then start using it??

NRG-B

Thanks will rest and recover and look forward to Saturday and will work on mental discipline!

I guess we all are going a bit crazy at the moment-glad we get the happy BNTM;-)

Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    WP - how about swimming or cycling? I know it's not quite the same but at least you feel like you're doing something! When my back went last year from too much rowing the physio said I was fine to cycle instead, and only with the proviso - if it hurts then don't do it!
  • Options
    Greeny.Greeny. ✭✭✭
    Ah, there you are WP!
    Sorry to hear of your back probs again - but hey, rest is very important and something I can thoroughly recommend as an important part of any schedule!

God, can't wait for the taper. I'm up to 2hrs 19mins and 27secs (approximately).

Building to 3hrs, 3 weeks before...

Bought new shoes yesterday and should be in the post today!
  • Options
    Alex, a few pages back you said "i can happily drink lots of LS if its the grapefruit or lemon flavour but i just find the orange too sickly." - I'm afriad I've got some bad news about which flavour they'll be serving out on the FLM course...