Options

Talkback: ASICS Target 26.2 Team: Emma

Comments

• Options
    BoDukeBoDuke ✭✭✭
    Great report Emma. Been thinking about next thread name... Not come up with much though...
  • Options
    Fantastic report Emma - you should feel very proud of yourself. image
  • Options
    Epic report Emma, I was screaming earplugs! And boxing a gerbil is so me I am still laughing!

• Options

Brilliant Emma - really gutted I wasn't there! Would have been amazing! Even more determined that I am going to start and finish my nemesis this year - was having a wibble yesterday about being able to do a marathon but gave myself a very swift kick up the butt and reminded myself of everything you guys have been through and how easy my life is by comparison!

hmmmm next thread - brainstorming begins here:

LCRCE - combo of all your initials - am thinking it would be nice to combine all threads so that it's easier to keep up but then again that might be too much of a spread on running abilities and tricky to glean info from.

2012 reunion thread

Next stop the moon

Target 2012

Sorry - brain obviously less stormy and more of a drizzle  just now - anyone else want to chip in?

Easy 4 miler for me today - intervals went really well yesterday - felt really good running fast (even if only for 45 seconds) after a slow trudge on Sunday and then again on Monday as recovery.

• Options

Emma - thanks so much for sharing your race day experience - great report and a great PB, well done again.

Need to think about the next thread.  Combining all 5 is inclusive which is good although looking back Lee had one set of followers, Colin had another (and a lot of them) and Rosie/Craig/Emma had a lot of folk following all three of these.  So, should there be 3 new threads as above, 2 with one for Lee/Colin or just one?  The mix of times may make one a bit impractical in the long run so maybe 2 would be a good way forward??  I think previous years have gone for one haven't they with great success ??? food for thought

Emma/Craig - what do the 5 of you think ??

• Options

Knackered this morning and feeling weary but encouraged and really great to read your report Emma well done superstar!!!

HOw about the famous five thread.......quite a modest title perhaps!!image

The head wind and rain did for me this morniing and the first mile up hill, managed 7.11 miles in 1.05.02 mins but the high mileage is starting to hurt, did 38 last week and this week is 43 with a 19 to do at the weekend. Ouch.........You guys did it I must, thats my mantra for this marathon coming. 4.22 would be a great result for my second marathon.............Congrats Emma and your flapjacks sound great, bit more in them than mine, must improve my receipe!

Coffee anyone?

• Options

Haven't posted for a long long time but have always been following......

Congratulations Emma & just wanted to say how proud you should be of your Marathon PB.  An excellent result I'd be over the moon with a spoon!!   Your journey has been an inspiration for me & I'm sure many others - I'm only hoping I can do as well on Sunday!  Fingers crossed....

• Options
    You could find CIRCLE as an acronym if combining all works.
  • Options
    TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭
    The race reports are helping me to visualize what's coming up...

It's so interesting to read about the experience you've written so vividly. I'm not surprised you were nervous given the public nature of your race, but you handled it very well and got the result you deserved for all the effort in the training. Congratulations!

Hopefully you, Craig and the team go on to even more achievements in the coming years with all the lessons learned. You've got time now to sit down and plan your next races image
  • Options
    A very moving race report. What a journey you've had! From your early posts of having to run past garden centres for a quick pit stop to your final run down the cobbled road. Inspiring stuff, Missy!
  • Options

Thank you everyone! image

Abigail - I'd forgotten about the stop in the Garden centre. So I went back and read some of the old posts. I found runnign 10 miles really difficult and now that seems like a treat distance. I think I should try and keep some distance in my weekend runs rather than letting them drop right down!

• Options
    TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭
    Emma- I'm reading Brad Hudson's book at the moment, and he advocates long runs from early in the schedule and maintaining moderately high mileage throughout the year. He says that this helps reduce injury caused by sudden increases in mileage when training for a race.
  • Options

Thanks for that Ten - sounds like a good plan and makes sense.

I love the LSRs and it means I can eat more!image

• Options
    Wish I could pass you a Thorntons Toffee just been given a box for doing a friend a favour while she had a broken ankle..........had to open them as starving even after sardines on toast and an apple......anybody want one.image
  • Options
    ooo yummy thanks mcs!
  • Options
    TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭
    Emma - quick question if I may...

How did you have your Garmin set-up so that you could pace accurately?

Did you have autolap function on and which pace settings did you use?

I've had problems with "current pace" jumping around wildly, so I'm trying to get a good balance before my last medium run this weekend.
  • Options
    BoDukeBoDuke ✭✭✭
    I vote for Target 2012 (or 26.2)
  • Options
    Auvoir Paris ... what happened next?
  • Options
    BoDukeBoDuke ✭✭✭
    Can I cange my vote? I like that one... image
  • Options

Hello all

I like Emma's suggestionimage

• Options
    Tenjiso wrote (see)
    Emma - quick question if I may... How did you have your Garmin set-up so that you could pace accurately? Did you have autolap function on and which pace settings did you use? I've had problems with "current pace" jumping around wildly, so I'm trying to get a good balance before my last medium run this weekend.

Hi Ten - I have my Garmin on current pace with overall distance, average pace and time on in the background. It sometime does jump about but usually I can keep going for a moment until it settles. For me I find that I can control pace over 1 mile but no more. So I just work on the moment rather than thinking about the past that I can not change and worrying about the future miles. In effect I ran 26 mini races on Sunday!

I try to run at what I feel is the correct pace - then have a quick check with the Garmin, adjust and repeat. Sometimes I get a little bold and ignore it all together - especially when it tells me I am running at 12 min miles but I am huffing and puffing - it is wrong and I am right! Because I use the lap page it means I can look at time and distance which are usually pretty accurate and for me I know that my distance should approximately match my time as most of my running for marathon is around 10 min miles!

Does that make sense?

• Options
    I only use one screen! Anything more and I'd be falling over for sure.

Like the Auvoir Paris idea or similar a lot.
  • Options
    Hi Emma,

Just in case I don't see you on Thursday lots of luck for Sunday I'm sure you will do very well.

Best wishes Lawrence (HJ)
  • Options
    Thank you Lawrence - Marathon done and dusted last week! Got a pb by 22 mins - still v slow. Might go to track tomorrow but depends on weather predomenantly as I am a wuss!
  • Options
    reikirabbit wrote (see)
    I only use one screen! Anything more and I'd be falling over for sure. Like the Auvoir Paris idea or similar a lot.
    I nearly have a few times! I am going to set the pace so it's the big number as it is easier to read!
  • Options
    TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭
    Thanks Emma, that does make sense. I think I'm about there with my settings now. Hopefully give them a go this weekend - if it stops lashing down outside (blame the hosepipe ban for the rain!).
  • Options

I know as soon as the ban started the rain came!

• Options
    OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

Emma. Which Garmin have you got?

I'm looking to upgrade my Nike+ Sportwatch. It looks the business but it's proven to be a bit innacurate. Plus, the battery ran out at 12 miles on Sunday (although that may be my fault image )

• Options

I have got the forerunner 610 it is magic - I have happily used the forerunner for 2 years and it is great. Quite a big face but very easy to use and also comfy!

How are you feeling today?

• Options

Hi Emma, hope Monday morning was okay for you (and the whole day!), I don;t know how you managed going into work after the marathon and travelling back! You did brilliant on Sunday and I'm so pleased you nailed your target time and got your PB. We've all got some brilliant memories from the weekend (and the whole 16 weeks too). One of mine was seeing you coming down to the finish and looking really strong and in control. It was also great meeting up with you and meeting Mr EmmaC and you are both really lovely and so easy to talk to.

Speak soon, Colin x