Options

Great South Run 2012

Comments

• Options

Clarinho, sorry to hear about your cold. I had a very bad one last week - couldn't even get out of bed on the Wednesday - but ran the Abingdon Marathon in 3hrs46 on the Sunday. I've still got the cold, but now I have aching legs too!

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

@Peter - that's mightily impressive! I ran Amsterdam last weekend but I think it's more my own stupidity that is causing my own soreness!

• Options
    Doug2Doug2 ✭✭✭

Hi All, Been lurking on here for a few days (also while sposed to be working). 1st GSR for me, and 1st event of any kind for xxyears image so looking forward to it with a kind of nervous anxiety. Sure it'll be great tho and I'll look out for the wabbit and the green fairy duo - gotta be worth the entry fee just for that !

• Options

Emmy, thank you. I think it was touch and go to be ready for the start line, and the last six miles were the hell everyone said they would be - but my first marathon in 14 years was far better than my first. I think one takes a small risk running with a virus, and certainly I was emerging the other side of illness, but I don't feel any the worse for the 26 miles.

• Options
    For any first timers, save a little in the tank for the last 2 miles, if there is any wind about it will be along the last 2 that you feel it.......don't say I didn't warn you image
  • Options

Don't mention the wind !!!!  I mentioned it about 100 posts ago but think I got away with it !!!!!!!!!!!! 

(Good advice though - it can be a killer - mentally as well as physically!)

• Options
    what wind ;-p , 12-13mph is but a gentle breeze. Good to see the rain has now gone from the forecast ....again...Only going to change another 6 times before Sunday then !
  • Options
    The wind could be a blessing though if it carrys us forward. PB's on the way?
  • Options

If today had been race day I probably would have stayed in bedimage Rubbish weather! But sunday will be sunny for us even if a jalpeno (a little chilli)image

Karlsp - thanks for the message.  Would be great to see the reaction when a rabbit and a green fairy go in together for breakfast!image

Update: Yikes I've just seen the forecast for sunday.  7 degrees at 10am and cloudy with rain around later.  It can stay there! Brrrr!image

• Options

last training session last night and pottering at home today as day off workimage

I'm getting an early train from Fareham so I shall be dropping the bag off and then meet up with people (hopfully at 10), I'll look out for a union flag; spice girl, rabbit and Green Fairy etc. Sadly I'm very boring in a huge blue (Pound World only had large) waterproof thing with a white cap and Jersey flag on. I'll also need to pee - the anxiety makes me worse!

Got to be up at 5am for first plane to Southampton tomorrow morning.....quite excited but anxious (that's just me being me though!) image

Emmy-H hope your ankle is ok?

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Hey Jelley - if you want I can send you my mobile number but I think we should be easy enough to spot! image At the moment; ankle is a little swollen but i'm taking it very easy tonight/tomorrow.

Have a safe trip to everyone travelling - see you all on Sunday morning

• Options

Joe T 40 mentioned that Fratton was the nearest station. Can anyone confirm this is the best one to use? The next one (P&S) looks closer, but the walk route a bit more complex. Or maybe it doesn't matter too much........

By the way Joe, there will be (at least) two runners on the 8-26 from Eastleigh - which the Winchester train goes through. I may be in my new blue XXL Romsey Road Runners hoody, so I might be easy to spot.

It's getting cold out image

• Options

I'm really excited about this race. It has been my goal race all year and the cause of motivation for my weight lose. I started this year at 16st 8 now down to 12st 7 and looking at doing the race at a sub 80 pace (which 8 moths ago I would have hoped to have just completed the race). Having caught the bug now, I've signed up to Brighton half marathon in feb and the VLM in april. See you all Sunday!!   

• Options
    Good going Quinn, Bugs Bunny can be your pace maker , ill be happy with 1:20 in the outfit, although on the strength of last weekends trial i should be able to go quicker. That said i just want to enjoy and have a laugh on the way round. Good going on the VLM too, ive entered 4 times and still no luck. Did my first marathon in September in the New Forest, pouring with rain, and managed a 3:18 which i was rather chuffed withimage I was 21 stone when i took up.....er fast ....wobbling....Now i usually run around 7min/mile in races.
  • Options
    and for anyone that cant recognise me....Ill be the one carrying a big orange carrot ;-p
  • Options

Last year I went from P&S on the way and the harbour on the way back - someone said not to use Fratton.......

WalkJogDave wrote (see)

Joe T 40 mentioned that Fratton was the nearest station. Can anyone confirm this is the best one to use? The next one (P&S) looks closer, but the walk route a bit more complex. Or maybe it doesn't matter too much........

• Options

Forgot to add - Emmy-H don't worry I'm sure if you are all outside the Pyramid I'll spot you!! Keep going with the RICE!

Safe journey everyone and if I can manage to use my husbands smart phone which I'm pinching for the weekend I'll keep in contact tomorrow as well. Listening to the talks at Portsmouth Library tomorrow - should be good - Andy Holgate, someone about charity running and then Ad Finn (author of Rrunning with the Kenyans).image

• Options
    Well im here and ready to go !
  • Options
    Fratton, Portsmouth and southsea and Portsmouth harbour stations are all roughly equal distance from the start of the gsr.
  • Options
    No probs, Portsmouth harbour is actually on the gsr course - just outside the dockyard, if you get off at Portsmouth and southsea, head through the guildhall square and keep on going until you get to the seafront, if you get off at Fratton, go to the roundabout at the end of goldsmith avenue (opposite direction to the football stadium), go left at the roundabout and again keep going straight until you get to the seafront. All about 1.5m I reckon.
  • Options

I accidently on purpose went for a few beers this evening despite telling myself I could go the whole week without any, or at least waiting 'til Sunday afternoon.

Uh oh....

• Options
    well quick report from the course.....its chuffing freezing ;-( Think i prefer it warm !
  • Options
    well warmer anyway ;-p
  • Options

just been down local charity shop to buy a very thick warm jumper for the wait before run! if its anything like early this morning think i am going to need it image 

• Options

Karlsp ..... is it running tights cold?

• Options
    Just walked the prom into the wind and yes. Glad m doing fancy dress tomorrow now.
  • Options
    Should be in Pompey by about 4pm. I know the run isn't until tomorrow but even now I'm feeling nervous! God knows why!

I've packed for all weather occasions too.
  • Options

Hi Everyone! First timer tomorrow, getting quite nervous, have never done any competitive runs before so dont know what to expect, this cold weather has thrown me - any advice on what to wear?! I'm in the green group - Do I really need to be there for 8.30am?? And are you allowed to use ipods/mp3s?!

any answers would be really helpful!! 

• Options

Hi Sarah,

Can't decide myself whether to put the running tights on or not sounds like it's going to be a cold one so will probably make a call in the morning.

I think you'll find officially you can't use ipods etc. My advice would be if this is your first "race" leave the ipod at home, the crowds in portsmouth are amazing at cheering you on IMHO having an ipod in must take a vast amount away from such a great day, believe me you'll get such a lift from the crowds as you run.