Options

Iron Distance 2012 Training Thread

Comments

• Options

Meldy me neither and got a bit hairy as I was being brave and following the two blokes I was riding with and when going down the outside of heavy traffic I was pooping myself.  I hate all the stop starting.

• Options

It certainly did Dave!!

We went back up the street by the station as well  (I forget the name) the last time I was there must have been 1984 as it was my local RAF Careers Office !!

• Options

Meldy, I walk my dogs straight after every long session and think I could possibly run on it straight after, but it becomes tender to walk on after a few hours, even after stretching and icing.  I am just avoiding running on it as I'm worried I might do something horrible.  In saying that, I completed a very hilly 14 miles last week at my HIM last week and felt no reaction until the next day. 

I guess I'm just worried that I'm not running and that has been always my favourite part, a banker really.

My stride is a short and choppy, generally midfoot strike, a concious change from my previous heavy legged heel thud which was buggering my knees.

My physio informs me that a lot of bikers she treats have tight calf issues, which in turn pulled on my achilles.  She told me that I inflammed the achilles, but didn't damage it, but it appears to me that a long hard bike ride, as yesterday, tuggs on my achilles a little more than ideal.  A flattish course might allow me to stay in a higher gear and spin my legs a bit more.

• Options

Try the flatter course with a lot of spin and then then the next day judge the tightness of the achilles and then try a run with a 4/1 R/W ratio for say 40 mins, judge the pain and the recovery the next day.   Keep with the RICE tho and keep stretching out the calves ..  Make sure as well while you are on the stretching & strengthening bench that your hip flexors and quads are strong enough to lift the legs rather than relying on the achilles to push off from

• Options

.. and I have to say, not that you can do much about but too much walking tended to make it worse for me
    Sit on a bench and throw them a ball image

• Options

imageimage

As usual I'm indebted to you.  Guinness isn't it?

• Options

That implies you'll be there to buy it for her.....image

• Options

Ha ha!!   image

Please dont take anything I say as gospel but its advice from personal experience and it one of those things that sometimes is manageable ..

Oh yes, and I still very rarely run on consecutive days image

• Options
    VT'd wrote (see)

Now I have held back my withdrawal and I'll see what happens. 

VT'd - a couple of things occur to me...

1. didn't this particular "attack" of pain come after digging the car out of sand...?? an activity almost guaranteed to give aches and pains on its own I'd have thought

2. as Meldy, Dustboy and Saffers have said from their experiences it's possible to get to the end without doing loads of running - may not be pretty but it's possible

3. last year before a 70.3 I didn't run (and I mean at all!) for the whole 6 weeks leading up to the race and around 2 months prior to it I could barely walk.....my physio sent me to the docs for prescription strength painkillers and anti-inflammatories which I took religiously right up to a few days before the race....  I completed the race and haven't had a re-occurence of the injury (it was a tendonitis but of the anterior tibialis rather than the achilles and it was so bad that every time I moved by foot you could both feel and actually hear the grating....image)

4.  your training date seems to be one of the most thorough of the folk in here in terms of consistency and distances done....that's all good stuff banked...

So good luck with your decision but what's that saying "something in haste, repent at leisure?"

• Options

Morning Folks

VT'd sitting on the fence for now is the way forward, can't help you with achilles problems, though it seems that M....eldy knows what she is talking about. 

A splash and a trot for me today, managed 16.5 hours last week which is more like it, three more of them and I will be ready to go.

• Options
    VtD take it easy hopefully you will make it

Beutiful day here in Wales legs feel great but i have woke up with a feckin migraine flowerpower has medicined me from her special stash so hopefully it will clear got a team run up to Snowdon summit to crack today image
  • Options

Thanks guys, I'm well aware it's only an achilles injury, and in the grand scheme of things it's not in the slightest bit important or life saving.  But I'm also humbled by the comments and the time taken to even give it head space.

I have another 100 miler on the bike to clock, a few more open water swims (which after my first training session yesteday I think I might love) and I think I'll try a few run/walks (careful ones).   It's not an ideal preparation, but it rarely ever is.

As advised I'll let it ride until the last moment.  If I make the line and it's not sore on that morning then I'll scramble into my wetsuit and take what it gives.

• Options
    +ve mental attitude wins the day VTd image
  • Options

Cheers RBM, well done on yesterday and have a great day today.  Weather looks fine image

• Options

Well thought my knee was feeling better, so did 50 miles on Saturday... and now I am in agony again image It feels like bone is rubbing bone inside the kneecap!! Ankle is getting better but not as quickly as I would like - starting to look like I will be seeing you at the drinks station and not at the start/finish of the outlaw now!

• Options

GB - If memory serves me correct, you live West London way. If you are and need a second opinion from a physio, PM me image

• Options

Hi LN. I am, just between Shepherds Bush/ Chiswick/ Acton. For about 3 weeks I have been going to Move Clinic in Chiswick - my physio is fairly confident my ankle would be back to normal.... but now my knee has gone as well (which is no doubt due to over-compensating for a bad ankle) I am not so sure. Running on the alter-G treadmill tonight so will see how that feels... last week it was fine for my ankle but hurt the knee. Thank you image

I'm going to take up chess i think - much less painful!!!

• Options

I went to Move too. Are you seeing Scott then? He's a good guy.

ps. Though my down-falling was neuro issues, the advice I was given this time last year was that I had enough base to get around. It was probably true.image

• Options

Yeah... yeah he really seems to know his stuff image As he is a runer I tihnk he feels my pain and knows how desperate I am to get back to it! Where are you based then?

I am happy that I have the base to get round... but unless I can bike and run with little pain then I won't be trying to do so... I have basically 1 week to decide I think before I will lose all of my entry fee

• Options

VT'd, good decision to hang fire on the withdrawal. It'd be a lot of training time down the pan. Might just be worth re-thinking your goals.

Swam on Friday, then 70 miles on the bike in 4 hours exactly on Saturday. Couple of big weeks coming up now, with some long bricks and rides. Got a sore right knee at the moment, so I've replaced all the last week's runs with swims. Hoping to get trotting again this week. Niggles seem to be part of the game.

• Options
    NV wrote (see)
    Niggles seem to be part of the game.

Wouldn't disagree...

- swimming hurts my back
    - cycling gives me terrible neck ache and makes my dodgy knee very sore
    - running hurts my dodgy knee, the ankle on the opposite side, that same foot and after around 10 miles my back....

Apart from that I feel fine image image

But then I guess I'm getting to the age where I expect to hurt and having come up through competitive sport since I was a kid I've been falling apart for years now image

• Options
    Just got back from an awesome run up Snowdon had to walk a couple of bits as legs were a bit fried from yesterday the summit was clear and sunny so the views were to die for, thatll do for the perfect bithday treat the descent was "interesting" on screaming quads image having an hours feet up then we are off to Bangor way on the bikes

Sorry to hear you are srruggling GB hope it gets sorted ASAP image
  • Options

Sounds like you've had / are having a great day RBM and in fact a great weekend image

• Options

Hi VT'd and Saffers. It sounds like a few of us are in the same boat.I have not run for 6 weeks now because of achilles tendonitis. The physio has told me I can do some short test runs this week so am going to run after a warm up on the bike later this afternoon. Really don't want to pull out and waste all the training. Was aiming to run the majority of the marathon but may be a run-walk strategy now. Good luck to both of you and to the others who are starting to feel the wear and tear of the training.

Anyway as pirates aren't we supposed to hobble a bit when we walk image

• Options

Swim and gym for me today .. nice easy day image

• Options

Meeting Siggy 13.30 tomoz at RP. Got half day hols. Ride till drop (about 3 miles then). Own pace but nice to have a bit of company on the odd lap. Welcome if you want to come. Bottom car park.

• Options

GB - I don't know the cause of your symptoms but if there's anything caused by cycling, did you get Scott to check out your position ie take your bike in with you? At the risk of sounding like a groupie image he fixed that for me as well.

• Options

The ankle was from a sprain in a running race a few weeks ago, so definitely not bike related. The knee though unfortunately seems to have come from overcompensating on the bike for my sprained ankle on a long ride last week. I had a Retul fit on the bike only 6 weeks ago (the day before I sprained my ankle actually) so I imagine that is fine.

Ironically enough it is my knee which causes the most pain now!! I have an hour on the alter G treadmill (a very wierd piece of equipment, did you use it?) tonight, will see how they hold up

• Options

Chin up everyone!

I'm away with work, going stir crazy because it's a rest day. I may go and sit in the hot tub for a while.