Options

Brighton Marathon 2013

Comments

• Options

we've had to pull out and now have a spare hotel room (the PUMA) on both the Sat and Sun night (useful insofar as you have to pick up the race pack in brighton on the Sat!)

open to offers - cost us £250 all in

thanks

• Options

Wahoo, physio says that I don't have a stress fracture/tendon-anything, just really tight messed up soas.  So running Sunday will not destroy me forever! Hurrah. Am going to just see what happens and if the pain gets too much and I am waaaaaay off 3:30 pace, I am going to accept a DNF: suck it up to give myself a chance to do what I want to do in June.

Good luck all! I hope you all get gold medals image

• Options
    trigger2trigger2 ✭✭✭

Just dropping in to wish you all good luck.  Had hoped to run but knee problems since last October mean that it's not going to happen.  Have deferred YET AGAIN image

• Options
    VieuxLilleBlonde wrote (see)

Wahoo, physio says that I don't have a stress fracture/tendon-anything, just really tight messed up soas.  So running Sunday will not destroy me forever! Hurrah. Am going to just see what happens and if the pain gets too much and I am waaaaaay off 3:30 pace, I am going to accept a DNF: suck it up to give myself a chance to do what I want to do in June.

Good luck all! I hope you all get gold medals image

Sort of good news for you then.

Plenty of stretching, ice and compression. It is working for me. Last Friday there was no way I'd have been able to run, now I'm feeling confident again.

I too was aiming for 3:30 but I'll be happy with 3:40, and then I'll build up to an Autumn marathon.

Whats your number? Im 1403.

• Options
    SDRR Gaz wrote (see)

I'm also booked in at Zizzi for 5pm.

Never been, is it expensive?

It's not bad price-wise, average really, but the food is very yummy. I like the garlic bread there and the risotto, plus they do a good gluten free menu (my boyfriend is gluten free).

• Options

just checking in as been at the thread at the start but just couldnt keep up and now its here just 5 days to go, alot has changed since i last logged in I think including i've run a few more marathons haha

I first signed up for this before I had even run a marathon now hopefully Brighton will be my 5th marathon

I have to say tho, its my least prepared marathon, first the snow really hampered my training so havent put the long runs in that i normally do, managed to finally do an 18miler 2 weeks ago, which was just awful both mentally and physically but there thanks to some good friends included ones who met me at the end of it and took me into the pub after Now those are the sort of friends I like

I now however have a stinking cold having just got rid of one 2 weeks ago this one now has come back with avengence so will be taking it easy very easy, i plod round so may even be 6 hours at this rate but I dont care will get there and cant wait for the medal, I love my bling lol

I am planning to meet under the clock tower in Preston park at 8am if anyone wants to come along and introduce themselves, I will have my blue and black aldridge club running vest on if anyone wants to say hello

• Options

I am 8348 and in pink.

Will heed your advice, and I am also having 2 sports massages between now and Sunday!

Sort of hopeful, sort of not... unsure really how to feel!

• Options

Afternoon all

Well the excitement mounts all thoughts of the crappy weather we had have been forgotten have to say I’m getting a little nervous myself now with just 4 days to go

I’ve just bought 2 copies of the Argus paper as keep sakes for Poohbear and Snowmaiden

must get of my bum in a minute and do my last 4 miles and to my shame will have to run past a shop and get Poohbear a birthday card or boy will i be in trouble

Getting out of the Exbo without signing up will be a problem hell who am i kidding that’s not going to happen

Just like to say a big thanks to everyone who’s kept us company over the last year on this thread this has become  part of the whole Brighton marathon experience over the last 4 years

I hope you all achieve the results you want but remember the biggest part of it is to just enjoy the day

• Options

Can't believe it is now just a few days away ... big thanks Toby for being the driving force behind this thread.

Will try on all my different permutations of race gear later to see quite how many pockets etc I will have for gels, jelly babies, inhaler, paracetemol, phone etc etc ... imageimage

• Options

Hurrah!! Yes sign up for next year Toby I need your posts to get me through the training for next year - see you at the sign up table on Friday image  Half Marathon on Sunday just made me want to do this even more

Early happy birthday to poohbear

Continuing on the thanks - thanks to everyone on here over the year you have helped turn me from a sometimes runner to fully fledged addict and my running has improved so much as has my self confidence.

Hope you all have the marathons you want and finish with a smile

• Options

As I am realtively slow and like to have a picnic on my way around, there are simply not enough pockets so I am advocating masking taping the gels and sweets to my vest.  If more of you do it, I will be less self concious image

Would buy a belt but I keep kidding myself that I will be one and done.

• Options

the last run done  !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!GLUP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!image

• Options

5.3 miles run this morning. Garmin played up which is worrying. Will do 3 tomorrow.

Green fairy-I live 2 miles from Horsham- hoping for a lift down with one of the ladies from my running club as her hsuband has office parking near the start. Are you local to Horsham?  

• Options
    Tenjiso wrote (see)

I saw the report on last years race where the Kenyans described the course as "really hillyimage  

Is this why the elites have been given a soft start this year?  

These Kenyans need to man up a bit!

• Options
    andyc209andyc209 ✭✭✭

three x 5m to go for me - always run up to the thursday before - just waiting for that nice feeling at the end of the last one when you can do no more...training done! Still,it all starts again next tuesday getting ready for the next one in Berlin image

• Options
    VieuxLilleBlonde wrote (see)

I am 8348 and in pink.

Will heed your advice, and I am also having 2 sports massages between now and Sunday!

Sort of hopeful, sort of not... unsure really how to feel!

I'm the same, I can feel my calf twinge every now and then, and then theres the lack of running.

What will be, will be.

• Options

Im not running this year, but Brighton Marathon is one of my favourites, so I will be there on the sidelines with jelly babies, shouting at you all.

Weather forecast is looking slightly more favourable than it did a few days ago. 17 degrees and sunny intervals. Maybe 2-3 degrees warmer than you'd like, but its certainly no 2011, and it'll draw the crowds out. I havent done many races with better and more enthusiastic, supportive crowds than Brighton!

• Options

Odd question - but does anyone on here travel on the train from goes to Brighton from Portsmouth, and if so, does it have any toilets on it????? This is my planned route on Sunday (catching it at Ford) but read somewhere there are no conveniences on board. Given the usual state of my tummy pre-race, I'm a little worried by this image

Can anyone confirm or deny this for me? Can't find anything on the Southern railways website, and they don't reply to their e-mails. If nothing else, I'll know to go and investigate the Tena lady aisle in the supermarket imageimage

• Options

Roberto Duram - I LOVE the idea of you taping sweets and gels onto yourself with masking tape. Just hope other runners don't help themselves as you go by!

• Options

Just managed to find someone from Southern rail on twitter and they're looking into the toilet question for me. Apparently some trains on that route do have toilets - and some don't. If you got the train all the way from Portsmouth that would be a very long way to hang on for....

• Options
    B&t especially with race day nerves image
  • Options

Last run of 4 miles done - gulp!!  Now I'm nervous as I missed a week of running after being poorly a few weeks ago, so my longest run to date is 17 miles!  Just hoping that I can make it around on the day!  Kinda excited too tho... image 

• Options

Slowly, Steadily, I reckon you will be fine. I have done 21.5 miles, but then I will have only done 1 x 3 mile run in the last 3 weeks due to injury, and I missed 2 full weeks just before that with other injuries. Clearly, neither of us are going to break the world record (image), but hey ho, we'll get to the finish and do ourselves proud !! I am mega excited, simply cannot wait.

• Options

B&T, whether they do have toilets on or not, they often look like they don't ... imageimage

• Options
    SS, SL - Me too. I missed a whole week in mid-March when OH was in hospital and then another half a week after falling over onto my knee. As a result, in what should have been my weekly mileage peak with a 22-mile LSR I only managed a 5.5 and a 10. Like you I am too excited to care!

5 miles MP today and just had a great idea. OH has an appointment near Preston Park at 5pm on Thursday so going to travel down with her (from H.Heath) and take the opportunity of a final slooooow run around the park thinking about Sunday. The excitement may just be too much. Anyone care to join me?

My 'marathon nightmares' blog post two years ago went down well. Have a look if you too have been getting restless nights:

http://andysbrightonmarathon2011.blogspot.co.uk/2011/04/im-dreaming-of-white-marathon.html
  • Options

Alistair F - I live in Horsham close to the town centre.  I've offered to pick up other Horsham Joggers runners' numbers etc on the friday to save them queueing on saturday but have had no takers so far.  If you'd like me to get yours let me know.

• Options
    Nearly there. Excellent run with St. Albans striders tonight. Warm up for 1mile then 6x1k reps around St. Albans park at semie fast pace (just a bit faster than MP) with 1min rec in between. Great run felt very good. 1 more run to do on Thursday nice easy 5/6mile and then that is it.

Last day at work tomorrow then a week and half off (apart from a conference next Thursday) yippee.........

Keep going guys if I can do it then so an u
  • Options
    Salisbury lad yuck - sounds grim image still waiting to hear back from Southern Rail. I ink lore what race day nerves do to my digestive system so am a bit worried too say the least...

Decided not to run today as I've taken some skin off the top of one of my toes by tripping over something. It hurt when I ran yesterday so I decided to let it heal properly. What a wuss!
  • Options
    Running guy - good blog post! I've only had one nightmare so far, and that was about getting to the expo. Plenty of time for some more....
  • Options

Weighed in at weightwatchers this evening and am well pleased as I have reached the weight I wanted to be for Brighton Marathon - I am now just under 9st which is about right for my small 4'11.5" height. 

Whether I am still this on Sunday after going out for the 'all you can eat world food buffet' on Thursday for my birthday remains to be seen.  Toby is not convinced!

Looking forward to Thursday for more reasons than one as I will then have 10 days off work before starting a new job, we are spending a whole week in Brighton which will give me and snowmaiden a chance to recover properly from the Marathon. 

Toby will be itching to go out running again by the middle of the week - as he will by then have signed up for next year - he hasnt successfully made it out of the Expo without signing up again for the following year yet!!