Options

Brighton Marathon 2013

Comments

• Options

Regarding parking in Brighton on the day does anyone know what it has been like in the past trying to find somewhere to park a couple of hours after the race has started?  I have people coming to meet me at the finish so they won't be getting to Brighton until between 12 and 1.  Are the town centre car parks choc a blok? (Even at their prices!)

• Options
    Don't know about car parks, but is parking at a train station and catching a train into the city centre easier than trying to drive in?
  • Options

Hey folks, in case I dont get another chance, good luck to you all on Sunday, its a great race, hope the weather is as kind as it has been in recent years. Think if I see it on TV I will be a bit jealous, but I have London and Milton Keynes instead.

Toby I really hope you get your sub 4.

• Options
    A long shot, don't suppose Sue King is on this thread?
  • Options
    john2443john2443 ✭✭✭

If there isn't a park and ride you can use, the Brighton bus Website is buses.co.uk, if you go north from the north east corner of Preston park there are no parking charges, although it might be busy due to marathon, but if you go along Surrenden Road and find somewhere to park (check side roads) you will either be in walking distance back to the start or can catch the 5 or 5B to the point it terminates about 200m from the park. If it's jammed go for BN1 8JJ, and find a side road, the 5B stops outside the pub.

You can then catch the 5B back afterwards. By that time the 5 will have gone back to it's normal route up the A23. The stop is in front of the Pavillion, you can buy a day ticket if that's any advantage.

I'd suggest that you get off the A23 as soon as you can after passing the A27, due to the road closure I'd expect traffic to be bad. Turn left somewhere and get to Surrenden Road or the above postcode.

• Options
    john2443john2443 ✭✭✭

The above was for CatherineP.

TGF - traffic is Brighton is awful at the best of times, with road closures I wouldn't attempt to drive into the centre on Marathon day even though I live here and know all the side roads. The city centre car parks will be rammed.

At the sort of time runners will be driving in the A23 might be OK but by 12 I would think it'll be bad.

From 11.30 the 5B will be running all the way into town according to http://history.buses.co.uk/bustimes/marathon.htm. Parking suggestions as above, or get the train.

• Options

Thanks for the parking info.  I'll be getting the train in (from Horsham) and the friends are coming from Ascot.  I've already hinted to them that maybe parking at Haywards Heath and using the train would be a good idea but it's up to them.  I'll have my own problems at that time! image

• Options
    John2443: really helpful answer- cheers!
  • Options
    All weather sites are now showing perfect weather image apart from accuweather which is a little warm at 16 and a little windy. But there is no snow!!!!!

Who's eating where on Saturday night????
  • Options
    OK, lets ignore accuweather.

I've a table at Jamies Italian at 5pm, then a little quinoa snack for 8pm

Bed by 9.30
  • Options

The BBC weather last night suggested that sometime around Sat night/Sun morning a cold front would be replaced by a warm front, and that it could be breezy, albeit that it would be a warm rather than a cold breeze as it will be coming from the south ..... what that means for temperatures, I don't know.

• Options

Forget to say, have you seen another new little toy on the Brighton marathon website, allows you to "link" your Facebook or Twitter page to runners, and it will automatically send you an update when that person (or persons) pass certain points on the course.

http://www.brightonmarathon.co.uk/live.php

• Options

SalisburyLad - you're as bad as me for these new fangled gadgets! yes, i saw it last night, foolishly posted in on on facebook page and already one of my friends has loaded it up to see how I go on Sunday. She's super speedy, so no slacking allowed from me!!

• Options

B&T - perhaps it will give us a little incentive to push on when things get tough, knowing that the entire internet could in theory be tracking us ..... or perhaps not !! image

• Options

For anyone driving into Brighton on Sunday morning, I'd advise avoiding the A23 and use the A2010 (Dyke Road) - it's signposted Hove.

Dyke Road takes you to the Seven Dials area of Brighton, I live there and there are no parking restrictions on a Sunday (well from 8pm Saturday) so you can park there all day and it's only 10-15 minute walk to Preston Park.

• Options
    Glad you mentioned about booking a table GCE. Just booked at Zizzi for the same time. Mmm bring on the carbs!
  • Options
    TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭
    GCE (8357 Red) wrote (see)

I've a table at Jamies Italian at 5pm

Snap! See you there image

SL - if you put all the runners into that twitter app, you would know what position you are in the race.  Counting all the tweets would also distract from the pain too image

• Options

I'm also booked in at Zizzi for 5pm.

Never been, is it expensive?

• Options

Tenjiso, I don't think I will need to put all the runners in to know I will be in the last 30% or so of runners !!! image

• Options
    john2443john2443 ✭✭✭

Parking zones map is here http://www.brighton-hove.gov.uk/index.cfm?request=c1245134 if you want to work out where's a goo place to (try and) find a space!

• Options

I think I'll be getting the train. Parking looks a bit complicated.

Ooh, 5 more sleeps, I'm starting to get nervous!!

• Options

Hi Guys! Advice please: I want to do a half marathon next year that falls one week before Brighton - can I do it if I run it at a  slow easy pace and accept that I will come at the back of the field or is that just a stupid idea with the Marathon the following week? Id realy like to do the half if I can.

• Options

SL - nothing wrong with last 30% image

I have been remarkably consistent during my training and half marathons, always in the last 5%!!

• Options
    andyc209andyc209 ✭✭✭

tillstar - i have just done a good paced half at blackpool this weekend and feel fine (1h:27m) - in years gone by i have done marathons on consecutive weekends notably Paris/London doubles and always found myself going faster on the second week. But having said that everyone is different - listen to your body and it will tell you how you can go. How do you feel in training doing long runs on following weekends? 

• Options

Tillstar I really wouldn't, but I know that for me personally, a long rest is essential to a good race. I only ran 5 miles as my long run last weekend, and I believe what I read in a training programme that said you can only overdo it in the taper, not underdo it.

However, as andy say above, we're all different and I suppose it might be ok for you. Are you sure you will run it slowly and easily too? I've often said that and then got all competitive at the start line! image

• Options
    TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭

I saw the report on last years race where the Kenyans described the course as "really hillyimage  

Is this why the elites have been given a soft start this year?  

• Options
    Tenjiso wrote (see)

I saw the report on last years race where the Kenyans described the course as "really hillyimage  

Is this why the elites have been given a soft start this year?  

That'll be my excuse for them beating me thenimage

• Options

Hello everyone, first time poster here as have only just found this forum. I'm doing Brighton on Sunday which will be my second marathon having done it the year before. Last year I got caught up in all the excitement of my first race and completed the first 5 miles 2min/mile quicker then my planned MP (9min/mile), needless to say I won't be making that mistake this year as I was left at mile 19 with the experience of the dreaded wall, and having to hobble the remaining miles, coming in at 4:19. To all the first timers here don't make the same mistake stick to the pace you have trained for and if you feel good at mile 20 then maybe start thinking about speeding up. I have since learned from that experience and have got a few half marathons under my belt, breaking 1:45 in Feburary and now feel ready to finish my unfinished business with the Brighton Marathon on Sunday hopefully getting my sub 4 hour.

A quick question for anyone that can help, I have since moved to London and plan to get the train from Victoria on the morning of the race, on the Brighton website it says there will be additional trains put on however I can't find the times of these trains anywhere on the website or on Southern trains website. Does anyone remember what sort of time they were last year? And whether they were really busy?

• Options

Hi Flabbydragon , the train I'm getting (not from London) isn't listed on the printed/ usual Sunday timetables, but I found it on thetrainline.com and booked it at southern Railways own website (as it was a bit cheaper). So I should have a look on those!  Wise words about pacingimage

• Options

Hi Guys thanks for the advice might see how the training goes nearer to the event and see how I feel would love to do it but not if it means that I will not be able to do the marathon.   Also thanks for the advice about pacing Flabbydragon very useful