Options

Brighton Marathon 2013

Comments

• Options

Welcome Emma and Sarah. As Juggler states it is really an exciting time and the  build up to your first marathon will be embedded in your memory. Take it from me that the Brighton marathon will be a fantastic experience.

Yvonne and Toby, I too am doing speedwork (probably the wrong word) and a lot of my runs on the treadmill. It has become a bit like a "comfort blanket" to me. I should really force myself to get out on the road more and only do the occassional run on the treadmill, not the other way round.

Juggler, enjoy splashing in those puddles! image

• Options

Afternoon all

well 6 miles done and dusted taper begins for Bristol next week i do have a couple of short runs planed

run went ok got round in 59:51 which comparing it to previous runs over the same distance it’s about par for the course

What a change in the weather glorious sun shine today out running in shorts and a t-shirt

My new Brighton Technical t-shirt arrived today so just had to wear it

• Options
    Welcome Emma and Sarah! Good luck with your training.

Toby, I was going to ask you if you were going to taper for Bristol. I'be got a 9 miler tomorrow and 6 planned on Tuesday, with maybe 3 planned later in the week. I did 5.8 miles this week in 55 minutes. My 10k pb is 56.01, so I'm really hoping to beat that next week. I've been throwing in some fartlek into my runs, but I don't think I've done enough to make me super speedy

Bristol's come round so quickly!
  • Options
    Morning everyone! Nice slow steady half marathon for me this morning (2hrs 7 mins) didn't intend to go that far but was enjoying spotting wildlife in the country lanes. Happy running everyone
  • Options

Lovely sunny day today - really enjoyed getting out in the sunshine for my training.  First mile in 16 mins, but second in just under 15 mins - so getting faster.  It does help that there is a lovely long downhill section on the 2nd mile. 

• Options

Aww thanks for the welcome guys! I've just got back from my first proper 5K, how very exciting image

Fortunately a marathoner at my uni running club has taken me under her wing so I now have a mentor and am very excited image

• Options

Well done everyone on your various runs, running in the sun definitely makes it more  enjoyable. I saw lots of runners out and about today, I've been a very lonely runner for the last month or so!

I don't know about anyone else, but I am still feeling the effects of VLM, my legs feel very heavy and I am experiencing lots of niggles. My 6 mile run was a real slog this morning. Was feeling tempted by the Dorking 10 at the beginnng of June, but not sure my legs have it in them at the moment!! Do you think another post marathon massage would help or am I wasting my money?

• Options

Hello all

Fififava - I know exactly how you feel, don't know if a massage will help..maybe just need to build back up very slowly.

I empathise with post VLM heavy legs...I planned 6 this morning did 5.3 in very slow time (walked part of it)...feel like I need to sleep for a week!

• Options

<pokes head round door to see if you all look friendly>

Hello - Somehow or other, not quite sure how, I seem to have entered Brighton for next year. Legs are still recovering from London (my first marathon), and hoping I manage more training and less injury for Brighton!

Very impressed this thread is already on 460 messages, and its still 11 months until the event image

• Options

Hi Black and Tabby. Welcome to the thread. I think you'll find posters are friendly on this thread image -well, that's been my experience anyway! And you'll get plenty of encouragement during those ups and downs that are inevitable in preparing for a marathon.

How did you find London? Presumably you enjoyed it enough to sign up for another one ... It's still only three weeks since London, not surprised your legs are still recovering from your first marathon.

Poohbear, take the downhills! A minute off the mile is still a minute off the mile image

fififava you could well still be feeling the effects of London, and beginning of June is still 3 weeks away. A massage may well help. Other than that,as MWW says, just build nice and slowly and don't try and start where you left off.If you do lots of marathons,apparently that becomes possible, but not really for the first one!

Spotted another couple of good runs in the last few posts. Sarah marsbar, first proper 5k. Well done you! Where was it and how did it go?

Tillstar, also well done on the half! Was that simply on a training run? I did a similar thing about 2 years ago on a training run, although in my case it was the first half marathon in 25 years!! I entered a half marathon race soon after and haven't really looked back since image

Good luck to those of you tapering for Bristol 10k (toby,Katie, anyone else?)

Colin E, I certainly enjoyed the puddles, image but we now have a couple of days sunshine, which I intend to enjoy even more!!

Waves to all imageimageimage

• Options
    Hi yes it was just a training run was surprisingly fun, going to do a half in October and hopefully Brighton half before the full Brighton image getting rather addicted to the running now image
  • Options

Juggler234- it was my first parkrun in Leeds, and I managed to get all the way round with no walking in 28 mins 33 seconds image 

• Options

waves to B&T welcome to the thread

• Options

<span lang="EN-GB">Hi all, Snow here again. I really should keep this more up to date than I have been. *looks sheepish*

<span lang="EN-GB">Been training hard, been managing just over 2 miles in half an hour bar the couple of days towards the end of the week where I’d done 10 days in a row in work because they’re fiddling with my days off at the moment and the willing was there to get my training in, but the tiredness wouldn’t let me complete my training sessions.

<span lang="EN-GB">However I don’t have to worry about being a drowned rat anymore. Toby3 and Poohbear, my parents bought me an early Christmas present which arrived yesterday morning before I went to work and I’ll never have to go for a run in the rain again. That’s right, they brought me a treadmill. It’s a manual one, so it’ll go as fast as I do and it’s awesome and it’s mine all mine... ummm sorry, having a crazy moment.

<span lang="EN-GB">Anyway the training is going well, can’t believe I’m almost 2/3 of the way through this one and then I’ll start something else. Parents are being really supportive and bought me a book that should help, ‘The Non-Runner’s Marathon Training’. I’ve been reading it and it looks really interesting.

<span lang="EN-GB">P.S. Anyone else miss the ‘jump to last read post’ feature? Or is it still there and I’m missing it?

• Options

Why does it keep doing that to my posts?

• Options

Good morning all,

Welcome to all the new posters, this is a very busy thread already.

Well this morning I am in a little bit of discomfort after completing the Ridgeway 40 yesterday in 7 hours and 35 minutes. It was hot and hilly but an enjoyable run/walk.

I could have done with this weather last weekend when I went white water rafting (cross training), now that was cold!

Enjoy your runs today, I am having the day off!!!

• Options
    Charlotte - well done that's awesome. Very impressive image

Snow maiden - good to read your update. A nice pressie ! That feature is still there.

Hello to all the new posters.

Haven't run since that little 2 miler as leg wasn't perfect after all although now have a road bike so out on that today. Missing the running big time image
  • Options

toby3 wrote (see)

<span style="color: #000000;"><strong style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal;">Voley the problem seems to be when i cut and paste anything in from Microsoft word as my spelling isn’t all it should be i type everything up there first but every time i cut and paste it in the runs world thread page it chucks in all this rubbish never happened before they changed the lay out and if you noticed they got rid of the paste button

Sorry, this is proving moderately hard to fix, but we'll get there. The message editor form is a third party component, which comes with its own special bugs

• Options

this was the reply i got when i asked

• Options
    Toby - hello! Oh, and hello to everyone else as well! I must have a read back and see what everyone's been up to. Charlotte - ridgeway 40 ? Wow!

Toby it will be a faff, but if you cut the text from Word, paste it into Notepad, then cut & paste from there, it might strip out the formatting? Might just have a little try and see....
  • Options

Juggler 234 i too am doing bristol 10km went for a 10km run today in the glorious sunshine (welcome back ive missed you,and i wont ever complain of running in the heat ever again) time was 58:15 so happy with that and i pushed the last km and did a 5:27 fastest of the lot so im thinking i still had a little left in the tank...if i can push and do a 55 min 10km ill be a happy bunny,just need to sort that first km out (6:15) but all in all really enjoyed being out running in that sun..image im sure i topped up the tan a little or it may be rust...from the rain

Congrats to you Charlotte on your ridgeway 40 run,enjoy a few days off if i were you ...

• Options

I did my first parkrun yesterday and absolutely loved it, the atmosphere and the organisation was very impressive

I must say they were all fast runners, I did a 5K in 29mins according to my garmin and I was in the bottom 5 to come in ( not that I minded as I ran with my kids for a couple of hundred metres with them holding my hands so that was pretty priceless ) 

One thing I did think as i was running around, I have heard marathon runners say they hate shorter fast distances after running a marathon, i can relate to that, i actually prefer the plodding and slower pace of a marathon than a short fast sprint of a 5K, guess i'm defintely a long distance runner lol

so looking forward to Brighton next year, and I'm really pleased with my recovery time from VLM even with a knee injury ( which i had before VLM) by day 4, my legs didnt even feel they had running a marathon!!

• Options

<span style="font-family: Arial;">Testing testing testing

<span style="font-family: Arial;"> 

<span style="font-family: Arial;">Just seeing if my theory works for Toby!

• Options

Testing testing testing

Just seeing if my theory works for Toby!

• Options

Ah ha! It does work Toby! First post was straight from Word, second was via Notepad!

• Options

Congratulations on completing the Ridgeway 40 Charlotte.  I should say you deserve a couple of days rest after that.

Out training in the sun again today - it has been a lovely weekend - hope it lasts.

• Options

Hi all,

Managed a slow 10 miles in the hot Spanish sunshine. Must start waking up earlier to get my runs in before it gets too hot. But I love my sleep-ins! Happy because this is the furthest I've run since Brighton.

Charlotte - Fantastic achievement on the Ridgeway 40.

Hannahsmom - are you planning any more marathons this year or is it just going to be Brighton 2013?

Stig - hang in there. You'll be running soon. Keep up the cross training and don't rush back too soon.

SnowMaiden - I'm sure you will get some good useage out of the treadmill. What great parents. image

• Options

charlotte, Congratulations on the ridgeway 40, superb effort. image Rest definitely in order for a few days(!)

SnowMaiden, your very own treadie, awesome! Also, sounds like the first phase of training is also going well.

toby and Poohbear, I think you deserve the award for "Best parents of the week"!

Hannahsmom, I can definitely relate to that shorter distance thing. I love parkrun when I can do it, because of the camarederie, but I almost invariably get about 2km into the actual run and think to myself "This is hurting, and I'm not even halfway yet!" ... Ridiculous but true!

sarah m, I've made a number of good friends via parkrun, superb initiative and well worth carrying on with, even if, like me, it's necessarily on an "occasional" basis.

Tillstar, Yes, running is very addictive image

Colin, Nice run. Had a lovely run in the sun myself today. Not as hot as yours but an out and back 11.5 mile training run over the Downs. Very slow and very enjoyable!

Yvonne, Good luck with Bristol 10k! And well run this morning.

Stig, sorry to hear about the injury, but do take it easy. absolutely no reason to rush back and from my experience, well worth the extra time to let the healing occur, and to actively rehabilitate appropriate muscles!

Waves to all imageimageimage

• Options

I've booked my autumn marathon, I was going to do Beachy Marathon, but my partner said 'if I've got to spectate another bloody marathon, but it needs to be international'.

I didnt need telling twice and booked The Toronto Water Front Marathon 13th October. Nice and flat, so that'll help towards Brighton 2013.

Has anybody found, how fast races generally book up at the moment? I'm in a cycle of trying to book to far in advance, then not being able to run them through work commitments or leaving it last minute and not getting place...

Not fully ruled out running beachy head marathon too??

• Options

Morning all

well another weekend spent in the garden had to get out there and cut the grass and hedge have a gym session planned for today and then a 3 miles on Tuesday then the last run for this week will be Thursday but only a couple of miles

GCE Toronto sounds great one day may be

Colin that Spanish sun shine sounds wonderful although it was pretty dammed hot here over the weekend

Charlotte well done to you

B&T I must admit i started a thread just for me so i can short the posts out before i put them on the thread

Hannah well done on the park run

Yvonne that shore some speed times you’re clocking am afraid i am struggling to get under the 9m/m mark at the moment i think i be chocking in your dust

waves to Juggler