Options

Brighton Marathon 2013

Comments

• Options

GCE Ive ran Brighton marathon the last 3 years and i loved every min of it, training and the weekend away to run the race... ive also applied the last 3 years to VLM with no success ..i have trained every winter for last 3 years and i thought this year if i dont get into london i would have a winter off ..

• Options

morning all

well bang goes my 22 mile running partner and a weekend a way will have to do it on my own this year unless of course i can talk Poohbear in to one

• Options

I've run London, but I usually volunteer at the start which is great fun and you get a medal for 3 hours work image I'll probably run it in 2014 all things being equal, its cheap and is good, but 26.2 is 26.2 to me. I tend to find all big city races much of a muchness to be honest.

Toby - hope you can muster some enthusiasm to go out. I'm planning on a 20 on Sunday, depending on how the leg recover from the 5 XC tomorrow!

Yvonne 2 I love training in the winter. There's nothing better than long runs in frost.

• Options

I was pleased not to be accepted for the London marathon. Brighton will be a good first marathon and I am really loking forward to it.

• Options

I like training in the winter too its not the weather ..just thought i may spend time going out and about going to local places of interest around me as every saturday was spent running and if it was a long run i would be too tired in the afternoon i work on a sunday (every other) so doing a long run then wasnt feasable..i think the children may enjoy seeing me to and going places ...image with the dog...also the evening runs after work......just need  a bit of a rest but im planning some halfs in the spring which i find training for a little easier for obvious reasons less mileage ..

• Options

Hi all.

My knee has been a nightmare, so I haven't been running image.  I'm also busy with exam preparation and work, which is why I'm rarely posting.  It'll be another couple of weeks before things settle down.  I have run a couple of fairly easy runs this week (3m and 4m) and the kneee held up very well - in fact it felt better the day after each run.  However, I did feel a slight twinge at the start of a run today and decided to abandon it and give it another day of rest.  Hopefully I'll be able to run again tomorrow.

I received a "congratulations" mag today (fifth attempt) - which I really wasn't expecting.  It gives me a bit of a (nice) dilemma, but I think I would like to run Brighton 2013 and London 2014 in an ideal world.  

In the meantime, I've got studying to do and a knee to get better.

PS - well done on the GNR Toby.

• Options

Good to hear from you Tenjiso, hope the knee continues to get better image

First week of proper training with my uni's XC club this week- v tiring and achey legs but it's good fun and I think it'll help me improve image 

Going to try tomorrow to hit the parkrun PB I wanted last week- wish me luck!

• Options

Thanks Sarah, and good luck! image

• Options

Morning all! Getting a bit frustrated- am training lots and trying hard but just not finding the speed I really want image awaiting the parkrun result but not anticipating a PB of any kind!

• Options

sarah - dont worry marathon training is not about speed its about stamina and you have loads of time yet anyway. Patience image You will get there, but when your body is ready, not to your mind's schedule!

• Options

Sarah, you will increase speed in short races if you increase your weekly mileage. Becuase you increase your weekly mileage then run each mile slower in training to begin with. It sounds daft/stupid, but it works. I have seen it work personally. 

• Options

Hello all, just a quick hello, hope you are all doing well. I got a ballot place in London, wow, wasnt expecting that and am running Milton Keynes two weeks later. Havent decided my strategy yet, will see how I get on at the Rutland Marathon in a few weeks time - amazing how addictive this runnning lark gets!

• Options

Welcome back Karen, well done with London, addictive it certainly is!

Tenjiso - you don't fancy doing both then?image

• Options

Thanks Curly45 and Gem! I've got my time and it was 28:02, which wasn't as horrendous as I thought, and I'm getting a sports massage tomorrow at uni to see if it helps my tight calves- maybe it's the signs of increased mileage and heavy legs that are holding me back image

• Options
    I woke and left home at 5.30am this morning, was keen to watch the 6am start of the london2brighton ultra. I've been tempted to enter for a few years, so wanted to get a feel for the field.

Decision made; 2013 is ultra year!

Heading to Ealing for a half now. Nice weather for running.

Well done Karen getting your VLM place, proves its possible!
  • Options

Charlotte - doing both is an option image.  I just made my knee cry.

GCE - re: VLM places - this was my 5th attempt and I had given up on getting a place without a GFA (which is light years away for me).  They say you have roughly one-in-six chance of getting in, so I suppose I'm in line with normal expectations.  

• Options

quick post first of 3 done Bristol H/M done in 1:54:10 according to the Garmin will wait for the office chip times no PB and about 47 seconds slower that last year

• Options

Well done Toby! Even if not a PB, still a good, consistent performance and you're really well placed for when Brighton training starts in full swing! image

• Options
    yes good going Toby.

managed my scheduled 6 miler today... even after a heavy night out at a seventies party! my half is 4 weeks away so cant get out of training.
  • Options
    Curly45Curly45 ✭✭✭

Well done Toby - shame about being a smidge off a pb, but that course can be windy!

I had another good week (won gold medal at XC for being fastest woman and set a huge pb for the course), ran 62 miles in total including a very tired 18.5 yesterday. I just want to sleep today...not a chance though since its the last day in my job before I start my new one tomorrow image

• Options

Curly 45 wow 62 miles that shore some serious mileage well done on the gold medal and the PB

• Options
    Curly45Curly45 ✭✭✭
    toby3 wrote (see)

Curly 45 wow 62 miles that shore some serious mileage well done on the gold medal and the PB

Will be a bit less this week - I ran two long runs as I was away the previous week. and was too hungover to run on the Sunday image 

I'm hoping to keep that sort of level until January, when I will push on depending on how I am handling the workload...its all about individual response to input and I do work well off lots of miles.

• Options

Curly45 - well done with the gold medal and P.B, and goodluck with the new job!

Toby - well done for Bristol, its quite a crowded one if I remember?

GCE - I started with ultras this year and have enjoyed what I have done and have more planned for 2013, just a small matter of the Druid 3 day ultra to get through this  November, I am sure you will not regret moving up to ultra!

Got Abingdon marathon in a few weeks, first time I have done this one, looking forward to it.

• Options

Charlotte did you still want to meet up at cricklade half? im doing it along with toby and poohbear is doing the 10km all things being well with her leg...

• Options

afternoon all

well must get in the gym for a recover run in a minute just 2 miles will do a run walk as at the moment with the way work is that's all the exercise i need and don't won't to over do it before next Sundays race

• Options

sounds good Toby. Will be crossing my fingers for your PB on Sunday.

I managed to get out on the bike yesterday but missed my 3 miler today due to my youngest having his pre-school jabs image. Thats a sad face because he had his jabs - not that I missed my run...honest! Hopefully will fit it in tomorrow so its not a huge problem.

Hope poohbear's leg is OK for the 10k

• Options

well done everyone on their recent runs, I cant keep up as its so busy on here, Charlotte enjoy Abingdon, I heard its a very flat marathon ( on my lists to do one year but clashed this year ) so alot of people go for a PB on there

• Options

Good luck all who are racing soon, and well done on such good training image

Going to be a week of resting/cross training for me as my horribly knotty calves have screwed up my right foot, the doc says no fracture at the moment, but remains to be seen later if there's a stress fracture image just hoping I can run by the 28th so I can do my half marathon!

• Options

Well final couple of weeks preparation now for Swindon Half. 5k cross training today on exercise bike - 5k in just under 16 mins. Shame I cant run that fast!

Hopefully a 6 mile run on treadmill tomorrow, then rest till Sunday when I have Cricklade 10K. 

Sorry to hear about foot Sarah, hope it gets better in time for your half.

Still no news re biopsy results on leg, but it isnt stopping me training.  Doctor didnt seem to think there was anything to worry about anyway, so hope not.