Options

Brighton Marathon 2013

Comments

• Options

morning all

just a 2 mile recover run on the tread mill yesterday rest today then another 2 on Thursday

• Options

Yvonne - it would be nice to see some of you on Sunday before the start, I can't see any information regarding the best time to be there for the start, allowing time for registration I will be there quite early. 

Hoping for a P.B on Sunday but I am feeling quite fatigued from the training for Abingdon and The Druids so I will see how it goes.

Poohbear and Sarah - I hope your injuries heal fast. Poohbear, maybe I will see you Sunday!

• Options

Charlotte race starts at 10.30 if i remember rightly dont quote me on that i do know you have to go to leisure centre to get your number and chip then walk up to the school for the start which isnt that far...as i live in cricklade i will wonder up at 9.30 as i live a stones throw from the centre...meet up options are the centre or the school ...

• Options

10k training session tonight, jog 15/walk 5 for first 7k and then jog 10/walk 5 for last 3k. Hope to be able to do similar on Sunday at Cricklade and maybe get a pb. 

Look forward to catching up with you on Sunday, Charlotte.

• Options

Feet up for me this week. Walked 62 miles Saturday/Sunday in one go for charity and my feet are mashed to pieces! Will hit the gym tomorrow and will play Saturday's Major Series by ear depending on whether I can actually walk in my trainers! 3 weeks to Beachy Head so kind of missing out some serious training runs at the moment.

• Options

well resting up's gone out the window this week with work like it is at the moment and with the other supervisor out on holiday I've had to be in early so have done a 12 hour day nearly ever day this week

we also have a visit from the big cheese tomorrow so tonight's going to be even longer i don't know about running Cricklade at this rate i'llbe sleepwalking it

• Options

Lombster - well done for the walk, enjoy the rest!

Yvonne - I will see you at the school on Sunday, hopefully.

• Options

Charlotte that will be lovely ....shall we say just outside the school gates the gate to the drive way where the teachers park its the first gate..

• Options

Yvonne, Poohbear and Toby - i will see you Sunday, I haven't raced for a while annd I am looking forward to it!

• Options

Charlotte what time?

• Options

Yvonne - all being well I plan to be at the school by approx: 9.45am, after collecting my number and sending my family of to the nearest cafe so they can  have their cakes while I am running!

Gym session and Body Combat tonight and possibly a Park run tomorrow. Going to have to have a session with the foam roller and the massage ball today as well, as my right hamstring is very tight; I havn't got a sports massage booked until after Abingdon, may need to fit one in!

• Options

Ok charlotte look forward to it.....see you then....

• Options

Howdy y'all!

Been working lates this week so I've not had a chance to post.

Still sticking to the the programe without fail. I've ran every other night now for at least six weeks!.......I've got a major milestone on my fatboypizzamunchingciderdrinkingmoobwobblingself to marathoneer self improvement program on Monday night,,,,,,My first 10 miler!

Can't wait.

I've also benefitted from the woe's of JJB sports going into receivership. The Hove store has had some cracking bargains this last week so I've got myself some nice bits and bobs for peanuts!

I must be serious about this running malarkey, I'm now wearing kinda tight figure hugging black legwear and luminous tops.....midlife crisis lol?image

• Options
    great stuff Swervin ... Hoping to get my 10 miler in today .. had a few issues come up which is making it a bit tough. Definitely will manage tomorrow though if i don't get out later.

Your program would be a great title for a book... moobwobbling!!!
  • Options

Great stuff swervin, your enthusiasm is brilliant! 

Good luck gem, hope your 10 miler goes well image

After a week of R&R for my foot I'm going to attempt a long steady run today- am aiming for at least 6 miles but am going to go on how my foot feels! Getting a bit close to my half for comfort but trying not to worry!

• Options
    I know what you mean Satrah - My half is 3 weeks away and starting to get a tad nervous - Decided to get into my runing gear and just get this 10 miler out of the way. Waiting for hubby to get back.....and cant find my garmin aaargh - I really dont want to have to go out too much later otherwise it means getting the illuminous yellow top out!!
  • Options
    ...well found my garmin but where is my husband? - I will have to be heading out with a torch at this rate! 10 miles will take a good while for me to complete and the nights are upon us far too early these days! WIll probably have to change my route home (not via the canal)
  • Options

I'm getting a bit jittery! A couple of weeks ago I did 11 miles, but then the last two weeks have only managed 10 and 7.5 due to a dodgy foot... I'm hoping that this week of rest will mean next week I can do a final long run of 12 or 13 miles before I start a taper image

The nights really are drawing in! For someone who prefers running mainly in black, this is problematic :P

• Options

Afternoon all

well back from Cricklade so  that 3 out of 4 races done now had a great time staying with our friend there who was also running the idea was to try to get her around in less than 2 hours all was going well until about mile five when she started to struggle we ran on together until about mile 8 when she had slowed to well outside the required pace and we had come to the under standing if this happened i would check she was fine and go on this i did all i did try to stick to the pace we had agreed to run so that it still gave had a chance to chase me in the end got round in 1:57:27 according to the Gramin

the plan short of word my friend got around in 2:00:48 second and although it was just out side the 2hrs she was still 2 minutes faster than last year

• Options

Hey Charlotte how did you do today at Cricklade, and how did you find the course etc? Hope your family got to have something nice to eat while they left you to run 13.1 miles on a sunday morning..

As you can see from tobys post i didnt quite get my sub 2 hour time i tried to hang in there and i do speed and threshhold work in training but just cant seem to sustain the pace from mile 8 onwards to achieve a sub 2 hour except like i said earlier, at the defunked, to long, brighton half in feb when i felt amazing... but the sub 2 hour time wasnt an official one ....unfortunately i dont keep records of what i did in training etc nothing to different from now but i did do more circuit work and cross training then as i belonged to a gym but can no longer afford to go...so perhaps i should take time out to build up my body strength as well...also i dont seem to find that gels i have tried give me any more energy either...dont quite know how to fix this one....on a positive note if it was the 10km race i had run today would of been an amazing pb of 53 mins!!! Like i say just cant find the energy to sustain the pace although i do say to myself to dig in...was running at a 9:09 pace today compared to a 9:18 pace on last weeks half at bristol so was faster than last week...any nutritional advice on amazing gels to try or super foods would be good...

• Options

Hi all,

Did the Cricklade half this morning along with Toby and Yvonne. My unofficial result 1:41:28, which is a P.B by just over a minute! I enjoyed the course and my family enjoyed their bacon rolls at the cafe!

Well done Toby and Yvonne, I saw Toby on the road into the school as I was walking back to the car and wondered what had happened to Yvonne. 

Yvonne- I do find cross training helps alot, I do some gym work and several gym classes as well as walking, swimming and cycling. Doing this, I find helps me maintain endurance for longer, otherwise its just years of running, which I also like to mix up, on road, off road, hills etc.

Yvonne - does your daughter still get her puppy, you were  very nearly sub.2?image

How did Poohbear get on in the 10k?

Swervin - goodluck with the 10 miler tomorrow.

• Options
    great times everyone. I was really chuffed with my 10 mile time this afternoon until i have seen all your half times.

on a positive note i managed to knock 10 minutes off the last time i ran 10 miles which was 2 months ago so whilst 1hrs 40min isn't going to break any 10 mile records i can see vast improvement.
  • Options

Hello all,

I'm an intermerdiate runner but new round here. Since giving up 11 a side football I've got back into running, and have entered the Brighton Marathon. A few weeks ago I did a Big Fun Run in 20 mins flat (with an uncomfortable sprint finish - must work harder on pacing!). This morning was the Dulwich Park 10k - I came in at 41:26, which is a PB. Going to do a few more pace events then build up the distance nearer Xmas.

Is anyone else doing any of the Saturday morning Park Runs? Would you recommend?

• Options

Charlotte great time and a pb to boot well done....i do lots of walking everyday having a dog but i need to be more strict with myself and do core strength work, squats lunges etc and get out on my bike again...ive got weights etc its just when you dont have a gym membership to waste , i dont have that extra incentive to use my lowly garage weights bench....but those few seconds to shave off are a big incentive..im not letting that distance haunt me....

And yes she does get to get one..a puppy will be a friend to the dog we have now although ive told her to choose wisely with a breed of dog she really wants and can train properly..like i told her there is no rush yet as we are off on holiday in half term so ideally will have to wait until the end of october..

Ill let poohbear tell you how she got on...but i gave her a big hug today cos you know what she entered the brighton marathon and is getting on with her running and im so proud of her achievments image and next week she is tackling a half marathon all power to her is what i say...she should be proud of herself and rightly so

• Options

here here wellsaid

Yvonne glad daughter is getting a puppy

• Options
    welcome Barry. sounds like you already have a good base and good time. look forward to hearing your progress. Its not going to be long before proper marathon training kicks in!

look forward to hearing poohbears report too. your right she should be proud. We all have different expectations of ourselves but we are all out there doing it. That's what i tell myself when i see all the weekend runners passing me anyway !
  • Options

Well, completed the Cricklade 10k yesterday.  Official chip time just in and is 1hr 28mins and 04 seconds.  Felt a bit lonely out on the course at stages, as I was the last runner and had whole country lanes to myself for much of the course, as I had lost sight of everyone else by the time I reached the two mile marker, until course joined back up with the half marathon one at about 6k.  Then from 8-9.5k was on my own again, but kept plodding along, determined to finish in under 1hr 30.

I know that I am not as fast as a lot of runners out there, but looking at the number of entrants who did not even start the race, I feel quite proud of the time I managed.

I have never completed a 10k on my own as fast as I did yesterday.  The fastest time I have done one on my own was Bristol last year in 1hr 34mins 36 secs.  So I have knocked 6mins and 32secs off fastest time on my own. 

Faster times have been achieved when Toby is helping me along and is there to hold my hand and help me get up the hillier parts of the course, especially at Boscombe last year when there were lots of hills and I needed lots of help, which incidentally was best time ever for a 10k.

Charlotte - glad you got a new pb and enjoyed the course.

Yvonne - glad J is getting her puppy.

Gemgemx - well done on your 10 mile time and knocking 10 mins off, that is a huge achievement.

I am as ready as I am going to be for my first half next week.  Have been told that it is quite a hilly course and not one to pb at, but as it is my first whatever time I manage will be a pb.  Hoping for 3hrs30mins though, but again that time was achieved in training with Toby's help, so will have to see how I manage on my own!

• Options

Well done Poohbearimage and good luck for Swindon!

• Options

poohbear- that is fantastic and it is just a question of not worrying about it too much and slowly but surely you're times will get better

yvonne- there are three suggestions i can make. one is to do hill sprints. they are horrible, but they increase your bodies effiency. find a short sharp hill and run up as fast as you can. walk back down slowly and do this 10 times. it will be over quickly but it will make a difference to the longer runs after about a month. only do them once a week.

secondly slow down a little bit at the beginning. it is the hardest thing to do but you are burning your energy too quickly

thirdly which i am sure you already do have a big bowl of porridge a couple of hours before. the gels are fine but a half marathon even at 2 hours is fairly quick and they don't really have enough time to get through the system. although i would highly recomend a SIS caffeine gel about 45 minutes from the end.

But mainly just think that is an incredible time to acheive.

I'm only butting in while getting ready for Beachy Head, but I am glad I have got away from being so worried about my times. I have enjoyed training runs much  more. Even in the pouring rain this morning.

Still following this thread and some great runs going on there,