Options

Brighton Marathon 2013

Comments

• Options
    Well done Poohbear.. I think of all my friends who have given running a go but give up before they have even started ! keep at it and watch those times improve.
  • Options
    TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭

Poohbear - that takes a lot of courage to carry on regardless of being all alone.  It's a great achievement and I wish you luck with the upcoming half-marathon.  

• Options

Thank you all for your kind words and best wishes for Swindon Half.  Will keep you posted as to how I do.

• Options
    Yvonne, the way to get those seconds under 2 hours is to run more miles each week.... Add ten miles a week to your schedule. Run them slow. Ensure you run for 2 hrs once a fortnight... Slow chatty pace...

Hope that helps
  • Options

Thanks for the words of encouragement gemgemx, sarah marsbar and charlotte.

Hiya Barry.....I signed up for my local park run in Hove but have yet to drag myself down there. I really like the idea of trying to beat your own time each week.

Well done poohbear for sticking at it.

Tonight was the night of my first 10 miler......it was dark before I went out so I had the 'pleasure' of sporting one of my new 'JJB liquidation sale' luminous Yellow running tops! image

I dunno why, I must be mad but I chose a route tonight that included three blooming long steep hills.....but cracked on and did it anyway. I'm just back now.....10.06 miles in 1hr 37mins (on a par with your ten mile time yesterday gemgemx.) Pretty pleased with it tbh, though the thought of running more than double that early next year is a bit of a worry!.....Knees are a bit tender again. I feel absolutely fine everywhere else, my breathing is fine, my muscles don't ache too much, it's just my knee joints seem to suffer towards the end of these longer runs.

At least that's the biggy out of the way and it's now three shorter runs this week before an eleven miler next week.

Just a quickie do you guys find running easier with someone else or on your own? I've been doing this on my own so far but wonder if now I've got some sort of staying power it might make it more fun to run with other people...also do you run to music?

• Options

Swervin i always run with music..although on the odd occasion when the battery has died in the i pod shuffle, then you get to hear the bird song in the morning and your breathing...which is also good so now sometimes on a quick short fast(ish)run i leave the i pod indoors..

Ive done my training on my own as noone else in my family joins me on their bikes image but on the odd occasion when toby has come down to run the really long 22 milers it always goes soooo much quicker...so i would prefer company on the long runs but it never happens...thats why its a massive occasion to run a big marathon everyone is really friendly and you find yourself running and chatting..although you get the odd grumpy gi..t so you just move onto the next friendly face

Thanks for all your words of advice ill try and put them into practice..although i do have that big bowl of porridge every morning and pre race too

• Options

Good morning,

Barry - welcome - I do the Newbury park run occasionally, though its usually done as part of a longer run. Its very friendly and informal, worth signing up for, its free and you don't have to do it every week.

Swervin - well done on the 10 miler, I am unable to convince any of my friends to run with me so all my training is done alone. I only listen to music occasionally if I am road running, off road I don't, as I like to be aware of mountain bikers and faster runners behind me, on the tow paths, tracks etc.

• Options
    i too run alone with music which i prefer.. but i think maybe when the runs go beyond 13 miles i might have to find some buddies or get the kiddies to ride their bikes.

good going on the 10 miler swervin.
  • Options

i run on my own most of the time but have been lucky this time to have Poohbear to run with once a week since she decided to run Brighton next year and have as Yvonne said I've run with her on a 22 mile run when training for Brighton this year and as she lives out in the country made a lovely change to run through country lane instead of pounding the streets i tend to listen to music when out on my own i did have a running partner for a while but i was to slow for her and she tended to run of in front so i may as well have been running on my own

• Options

Hi Yvonne, yeh..I'm looking forward to the 'sense of occasion' and cameraderie that marathon day will bring! image

Hmm, I'm pretty average then....on my own listening to music......you were too slow for your running partner toby? I thought you were one of the 'elite' crowd on here??

Cheers gemgem.....yeh, family on bikes in hot pursuit is a good idea!

I managed a 4 miler tonight (7k) and revelled in the fact that it WASN'T 10 miles! lol

I decided to up the pace as it was a shorter run and broke a lot of my own PB's (according to my GPSthingamajiggy 5000)

Must have been the 70's rock (AC/DC) on the headphones that got me rocking!!

Fastest 1K time....4:39

Fastest mile....7:30

Fastest 5k....24:16

I know it's not 'fast' but I was pretty happy to beat my own PB's and see that I am improving! image

• Options

Morning all

Well did a couple of miles on the treadmill on Tuesday and will attempt the same today then nothing until Sunday  as i will need all the energy i can muster to conquer those hills at Swindon

me and Yvonne will attempted a different approach to the race and use a run walk will run a mile walk a minute run to the next mile mark walk a minute hopping this way it give us enough to finish   

swervin don’t i wish i was elite no just a plodder the running partner i had was only about 5ft 1 but boy could she run she left me for dead most of the time

• Options
    there always someone faster......don't I know it!

Toby3 - you will always be an elite member of this thread to me.

Great times Mervin - Have yet to crack a sub 8minute mile. unless I am only running 1 mile!

Off for a 6 miler this morning after all 3 kiddies have been dropped off at the relevant classroom.
  • Options
    Back from my 6 miler and ..well a 10 k if we are being exact and got it in under 60 minutes. So happy!

Was almost not going to bother this morning as the school run took

longer than normal...but then the postman delivered my half marathon race pack so thought it would be rude not to try out the t shirt we have to wear!
  • Options

gemgemx good for you for getting out there

• Options
    sleaversleaver ✭✭✭

Hi

I had actually signed up for the Brighton marathon (will be my first) quite a while ago but I also entered the VLM ballot. I didn't get into VLM and so as I know I will be doing Brighton, I thought I would finaly say hi!

So to start with, I have a couple of questions!

1) When I first applied, I had no idea of what time I would expect to do it in and so I put 4:30 - 5:00. However I have since done a chip timed 10Km (46m27) and a half (1:43). Going by the McMillan running calculator, those times both put me around 3:38 for a marathon. Obviously my first goal will be to finish but in the back of my head the second goal may be to go sub 4 hours, so would it be worth changing the time on my application to closer to 4 hours?

2) I didn't order a t-shirt as I didn't want to have one for Brighton if I was running in London. Seeing as I've already paid, if I go back and add a t-shirt, will I only have to pay the difference?

Mind you, when I say the first goal will be to finish, the more immediate one is to get through the training in the dark and cold winter months!

Hopefully you'll see a bit more of me in here!

• Options

Sleaver I don't think changing your expected time will make any difference to your start zone, I did the same in 2011 when I realised I was faster than I thought but I was still given my original expected time zone, spoiled it a bit as I spent the first half constantly overtaking people, some dressed as rhinos

• Options

Well done guys! Some excellent running image 

Trying to take care of my foot and be sensible, but still get in a good last week of training before I start a bit of a taper for my half. Did 3 miles tonight @8:30 min/mile average pace, which made me happy as I am aiming for 9 minute miles all the way at my half! image

*waves to all*

• Options
    Mind if in join in? Toby's suggested I follow him over here from a different thread as I've just bagged a charity place for Brighton.

I ran the Berlin Marathon a couple of weeks ago - it was my first but now I'm hooked. I ran it in 4:21:38 so my aim for Brighton is to get as close to 4 hours as possible.
  • Options

Of course nobody minds Wordslinger- welcome to the thread! Well done on a great time in Berlin- you're well placed as well to start training strongly and nail a 4-hour finish at Brighton.

Let us know how your training progresses image

• Options
    welcome aboard wordslinger .. great time well done.
  • Options

Hi Word you found us then welcome to the thread

sleaver my be worth emailing the organizers of Brighton and asking them about the t-shirt

• Options

Well, last long run before my half marathon done- 13.1 miles with the last 5 a bit speedier than my target pace image aaaaaand TAPER! image

• Options
    good work Sarah.. I got my last longest run before my hm in 2 weeks in today too. 12 miles under 2 hours so really chuffed. The last 3 miles were a bit tougher than I expected..and I had to pause garmin to find a secluded spot to ..well...lets just say i probably shouldn't have had curry last night!!! Overall a successful and pleasant run..with a new distance pb aswell as pb for 10k and pb for 10miles during the 12 miler.

Now for a nice long soak.
  • Options
    6 months to go folks image

Good running ladies. image
  • Options

ooooooh, scary AGF! image thankyou.

well done gem too, that's really really solid work there, and will definitely pay off in your half image

• Options

Evening, folks.

First long run since the Berlin Marathon two weeks ago today.

Ran the Cardiff Half Marathon this morning and set a new PB of 1:57:42, so pretty chuffed with that. I knocked 4 mins off my old time and came in under 2 hours into the bargain.

18,000 ran the half marathon and, in my opinion, that's way too many. Even if you accept the usual jostling and swerving from the outset, there was too much of that going on throughout, and a few bottlenecks too.

The atmostphere was pretty good, and the crowds pretty supportive. It's not the most visually interesting of runs, but it did take in some decent sights. The organisation was so-so - especially post race where it was pretty much a scrum of runners and relatives.

Oh, and don't get me started on the queues for the pay and display parking machines. I mean, Cardiff Council, come on! You've got 18,000+ visiting your wonderful city and spending goodness knows how much there, so do us a favour and drop the parking charges next year. image

• Options

Evening all

Well back from the Swindon H/M all though plans changed and i ended up running with Poohbear instead of Yvonne  Poohbear ran the Cricklade 10k last week and because she was that much slower than the rest she ended up alone running down county lanes by herself and as there were no houses or cars felt vulnerable and was worried the same may happen today

Arrive at Yvonne’s on Saturday and stayed the night have to say did not sleep well but never do the night before a race Sunday morning came breakfast consisted of toast with peanut butter and jam on left for the race at 9.15 the morning was cold and frosty but the sun was warm and as the day went on it warmed up nicely

got the race ok and after the usual loo visit had a wondered around waiting for the start Yvonne went to middle of the pen as she was going for a 2.15 we on the other hand hung around at the back as we were looking for a 3.30 finish

The race got away on time and after a uphill start the course ran down hill and the flat until it started to climb again at the 5 mile mark i let Poohbear set the pace and she was using a run walk and we were running 15m/m’s using this

All was going well and right up to the 11 mile mark with me pulling her up the hill and then running down the other side have to say the views were stunning when disaster struck her hip or we thought it was her hip started to hurt but being the stubborn c**and determined to finish we had to walk the best part of the last 2 miles

She did insisted on running down the slope to the finish unofficial time 3:26:01 Yvonne gave the Poohbear a big hug and she had finished her first ever H/M

One go thing as we were one of the last to finish there was no queue for the massage so sent her of to get one while i went for my cheese burger

Then headed back for a massage myself the person who massage the wife thinks she probable picked up a slight hamstring strain

Then it was back to Yvonne’s for some tea and then home

• Options
    hope poohbear has a good rest.. and hasn't hurt herself too much.
  • Options

she feeling 92 at the moment

• Options

Well, I have done it - completed my first ever half marathon.  The best time I managed in training was 3hr 30mins so was aiming to get under that, but as Toby says above was in a lot of pain for last 2 and a bit miles with what I thought was hip problem, but turns out to be hamstring strain.  However, I was not going to give in and was determined to finish under my 3hr 30mins target.  Official chip results now in and time achieved was 3hrs 25mins and 05 secs - so well chuffed with that. 

Advised to rest for a couple of days from running, have a nice hot bath and do some hamstring stretches.  Must admit after the massage and hot bath leg is feeling a bit easier.  Not sure how it will feel in the morning though!  I feel 92 at present which is double my age, so hopefully will feel better after a few days.

Great sense of achievement though.