Options

I got my medal thank you!!!

Comments

• Options
    I believe it was Haile Gebrselassie who, in an interview, was asked about the people who would be taking 5 or 6 hours + to complete the marathon and his reply was along the lines of he was only on his feet for 2 hours or so whereas the slower runners were on their feet for up to 7 hours or more and it made them no less an achievement. along those lines, it was a few years ago if I remember correctly
  • Options
    Has anyone ever seen the film groundhog day?!
  • Options
    Well Haile is known for his diplomacy. I doubt if he would ever come to another country and slag all the slow runners off. I doubt if what he actaually said resembles anything like what you vaguely recollected he said. As good as he is he doesn't represent the elites and speak for them all.
  • Options
    Mr Forty is actually quite right. This has become Groundhog Day. If latecomers to the party can't be bothered to read the previous threads so be it. Since I have found that the thread is already engaged to another woman I think I will break it off. The End(for me)
  • Options
    This thread was never about undermining the efforts of those who adopt a run / walk strategy for their race, whatever the distance. It is about one individual being rude to another. The OP adopted a run / walk strategy for the Brighton Marathon. She was then rude to cougie who had advised her to run / walk for the marathon due to her lack of training.
    She had no need to be rude to him. She did not achieve her goal despite his good advice so why the need for rudeness?

That this thread has raised Q.s as to have you actually run a marathon if you didn't run it, or is it really ok to walk in running races of any distance is interesting. To dismiss this Q. by quoting elieism or snobbery is immature to say the least. It adds nothing to the very valid issue of what actually is running and what standards are acceptable.

Are there any other sports where an individual can participate with such inadequate training or fitness? If you enetered a swimming race and your stroke is not perfect or you opt for an easier stroke mid way through you are disqualified. Why is it that running allows so many individuals to break the rules and for example not actually complete the race in the form that the race requires.
    I have seen many races that state that they are 'foot' races not running races, ie they allow walkers or run walkers or individuals to walk part of the race - for example up and down steep hills or other obstacles that someone may not wish to run through.
    If a race says it is a running race should we not respect that?
    I'm sure I couldn't claim to have swum the channel if I got in a boat and rowed halfway. (not that I have). if you touch the boat in an open water swim you are disqualified. Why are running rules so lax?

There are other issues that have been raised outside of the Op's post that are interesting. To demeen this thread by stating elitism is meaningless and trivial.

I haven't actually witnessed any elitism. That comes when you are told that only the winner of the race should wear a medal and no one else counts or is of interest. i have seen that attitude on these forums but not here.

As for run / walk - it has prompted a couple of race organisers I know to put cut off times on their races to avoid the out and out walkers or slow run / walkers.
  • Options
    so those who think there should be no walking.......most of the 50 mile + ultras would not be financially viable without the people who run/walk them....

so they should be stopped because only 2 or 3 people in the country can actually run the whole way.......

if people can complete it within the set cut offs then they should be allowed to do it whatever way they seem fit......

the only difference with the Opening poster is that she said that she was scared at running the marathon without the training........she was told there was no chance of running it all and should consider run/walking...........and when she did follow this advice she came back on here to brag that she had run it........

if she had acknowledged that she had struggled but the run/walking had enabled her to finish within cutoffs.then i'm sure that she would have had a different reaction.........

i love going up a hill in a race walking.overtaking those people who are huffing and puffing running it......
  • Options
    Bex Hill wrote (see)
    This thread was never about undermining the efforts of those who adopt a run / walk strategy for their race, whatever the distance. It is about one individual being rude to another. The OP adopted a run / walk strategy for the Brighton Marathon. She was then rude to cougie who had advised her to run / walk for the marathon due to her lack of training. She had no need to be rude to him. She did not achieve her goal despite his good advice so why the need for rudeness? 

Ah.  Some sense.  Thank you!  

• Options
    I like a balanced argument. I think Seren then balanced it the other way.(just a watcher now)
  • Options
    If only you'd stopped typing after your second paragraph bex, that would have been such a perfect end to a thread that must be so so dizzy

The beautiful thing about sport (of any description) is that people will inevitably 'achieve' something. Nobody's accomplishments will ever be equal, so lets all be happy in the knowledge that somebody feels proud of what they achieved regardless of how they got there.

• Options
    This has got to be my all time favourite thread !!! And to add to that I saw the original "you're screwed" post and got funny looks across the office as I sat there laughing, laughing because I found the comment funny and not for one minute did I see a negative aspect to it. I am a newbie and have got some solid advise on here and learned a lot from other posts. If I wanted to be told "there,there, it'll be all right" I would call the Samaratains not come on an Internet Forum where views are expressed in all sorts of different manner, and rightly so. It would be a dull Forum otherwise and compared to some Forums it is quite sedate.

As I said I'm a newbie and running my first Half a week on Sunday. My training took a setback for various reasons, a two week business trip followed by proper jet lag and a rotten cold so instead of tapering I am still doing long runs. For what it's worth, in my opinion if I don't run all of it I won't feel as though I have 'run' my first half and as such I have told very few friends and family and won't until afterwards. I know that is not the OPs point and this is as much about manners and being a touch over sensitive in how the advise was taken, but also unknowingly belittling the achievements of those who genuinely 'run' a full or half.

Perhaps the internet is not a place to come if you are feeling low and don't want genuine advice and perhaps those who gave that advice were not in the wrong and were not bullying and I think the OP may owe some an apology, Just my opinion....
  • Options

The thing is I really couldn't give a flying fish how long the OP took to do the race, and the whole moral highground debate for or against wa*king...  

What I know is that at least 2 people besides me on this thread have met Cougie, and know he's one of the most amenable, friendly and genuinely nice guys on this forum, someone who is helpful and who really could not ever be accused of being "elitist".  And that's why I thought the OP's attitude was unfortunate.

• Options
    Rich........my family are now wondering what i am doing on the laptop as your Samaritan comment had me laughing..........

thanks i needed that image
  • Options
    Trying to decide if reading this thread was a waste of 25 minutes or an entertaining way of spending 25 minutes.

As an overweight person who probably entered a marathon too early but have trained my arse of to try and make sure I run every inch of the VLM on Sunday I still applaud the opening poster for getting round and am glad she is proud of her achievement.

However, I did laugh at the original "you're screwed comment" and if I'd have received that comment I would have replied "lol, you are probably right but I'm gonna give a bash anyway!". No need for this whole thread afterwards, OP should have just been happy with her medal and left it at that.
  • Options
    NykieNykie ✭✭✭

I remember Haile being quoted as saying that about people on their feet for that many hours.

And in response to someone earlier in the thread, I'm not jealous of faster runners. I admire them and aspire to be as fast. Just because I think that there's elitism on these forums does not mean I'm jealous.

• Options

Loon - I will have more respect for someone who runs all the way in 6 hours than a premeditated run/walk strategy in 5 hours.

One ran a marathon, one didn't. Simple.

*Takes head out of arse*.....I would recommend it to some others too, or wake up and smell the coffee.

• Options
    Nick Windsor 4 wrote (see)

Seren nos I agree with what you said totally, most sensible comment yet, without the walkers and stragglers the elite athletes would have nowhere to showcase or improve their skills. Take a leaf from Triathletes, the elites will wait at the finish and ensure the last one home gets the welcome they deserve. It is recognised that without the guy who comes last (and late) there would be no event.

Oh the wonderful Triathletes....

The problem is, I have run back up the course on a warm down, applauding some back markers coming in, and have got told off for being patronising! So whats the best thing to do?

Also - the Elites would always have races to run without walkers and stragglers, thats a complete myth.

• Options
    I didn't say elites......but there would be no ultras.....

and without grassroots runners.....there would not be as many running clubs still going and not so much money in athletics.with less races

and like all things simon...someone might think you are patronising but the majority wouldn't think you are.unless it was done with attitude....which I'm sure you do not
  • Options
    Im not sure the elites would have so many races to run. Not the true elites anyway. I cant see London getting shut down for the day for the top 100 runners to do a marathon ?

As to the run walk thing - we'll never reach agreement.

Some people can run/walk to sub 3 marathons, and others see any walking as 'breaking the rules'. Its entirely up to the individual. Which is the way it should be.

I would say though, that theres more satisfaction to be had from training properly for a marathon and seeing the benefit of all of those lonely wet hours on race day. Rather than turning up ill prepared and suffering all day. I dont think that can be argued ?
  • Options
    PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭
    Nick Windsor 4 wrote (see)

I sometimes jog to cool down, but I would deliberately not run back in the face of oncoming finishers because I would perceive it as not quite the courteous thing to do, and a little disrespectful of those still moving, you had the open road for your run and so maybe you should afford them the same courtesy

I think this is a little ridiculous quite frankly.  (One would assume that the cool-down was on the side of the actual course and not impeding runners still out on the course.)  Anyone who takes, say, 60 mins to complete a 10k will know that the faster runners in the race are likely to have finished nearly half an hour before them.  What difference does it make whether they see people jogging to cool down when they're still racing?  If I've just finished a race going round the perimeter of a park should I deliberately head out onto the road outside the park for my cool down?  Or maybe jog on the grass, at least a few hundred yards away from the sight of those still running, preferably with my race number not showing?  Are people's sensibilities really that fragile?
  • Options
    PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭
    ..one minor caveat to the above... On the odd occasion I have found myself cooling down along the route of the course, in danger of overtaking someone still racing!  Now I could see this as being somewhat soul-destroying, so I've definitely made sure this doesn't happen.  image
  • Options
    cougie wrote (see)
     I would say though, that theres more satisfaction to be had from training properly for a marathon and seeing the benefit of all of those lonely wet hours on race day. Rather than turning up ill prepared and suffering all day. I dont think that can be argued ?

+1 even though I had a minor meltdown on race day (got cramp around 16 miles, panicked, faffed around run-walking for a mile when hadn't trained for that, finally got my act together & back race pace at 18 miles), achieving all the minor milestones along the way made the training worthwhile. If I hadn't trained, I would have just been thinking how horrendous the hard parts of the race were instead of being able to count off things that I found easier than in training.

• Options
    Hi Xine. I was wondering how you got on. Well done. Seems you are made of the right stuff.
  • Options

Hello image

5:14 - I didn't set the world alight, but considering that I was at the lowest of low points around Mile 17, I was really pleased that I got back on track and ran til the end. The "hills" on the way out past the Marina felt so much easier than they did during the Brighton Half, that's one of the things I'm happiest with from training.

Next stop is the South Downs relay, so more hill training coming up!

• Options
    Seaford half is a good one too.
  • Options
    Wouldn't the world be boring I'd everyone had the same opinions!
  • Options
    PhilPub wrote (see)

Are people's sensibilities really that fragile?

Clearly !!!  Although I can't for the life of me see why, guess that puts me in the insensitive camp then !!

As above, I accept it as a fact that despite me making what on my part is a supreme effort, that there will be people that are faster thus finishing before me and we need them as much as me.

• Options
    madmickiemadmickie ✭✭✭

I wouldnt have a problem with the finishers jogging back down the course as long as they didnt impede anyone.

As for race rules - Isn't a race is getting  from A to B as quickly as possible. Walking doesnt need to be prohibited any more than stopping to have a sandwich as it doesnt give you an advantage. Unlike a walking race - where running is prohibited, naturally.

Folk who decide to run/walk want to complete the challenge not take part in a 'race'. The challenge is to cover the distance, not necessarily to run it.  Anyway, do we know if Pheidippides ran all the way or how long he took?

The OP seems to have got hold of the wrong end of the stick for sure, but hey, it's only a forum.