Options

I got my medal thank you!!!

1234568»

Comments

• Options
    Maybe Bob the Bluebell should read about the old fell runners in that book who worked all day and travelled and still won the race. Or Roger Bannister who broke the world mile record despite studying for a medical degree.
  • Options
    Towner  wrote (see)
    i used to dream of being beaten to death.....luxury!
  • Options
    Hog-mouseHog-mouse ✭✭✭
    Jeepers  wrote (see)
    Towner  wrote (see)
    i used to dream of being beaten to death.....luxury!
    We're here to please.
  • Options
    Who'd have thought some 'sportsmen' could be so un-sportsman like.

Returning to the subject of what the elites think of folks who take 7hrs+ to run a marathon, I wonder can anyone point to some evidence that they (or at least one of them) look down their nose at them?
  • Options
    Sussex Runner, it's no wonder Sally Webb got upset by your comments, everytime someone has a different opinion you reply by mocking.
  • Options

Being a triaflete (means I screw up 3 different sports) I know we are much less elitist..

And I know IronHolgs has had comments from several very high profile triathletes and endurance runners praising the amateur further down the field

• Options
    mg83 wrote (see)
    Who'd have thought some 'sportsmen' could be so un-sportsman like.

I haven't seen a single post knocking the OP's achievement, just her rudeness to Cougie.

mg83 wrote (see)
    Returning to the subject of what the elites think of folks who take 7hrs+ to run a marathon, I wonder can anyone point to some evidence that they (or at least one of them) look down their nose at them?

7 hrs+ to run a marathon? That's not running - and I'm slow!

• Options
    Jeepers wrote (see)
    She was given sensible, accurate and appropriate advice by experienced runners - namely that she would not be able to run it, so do run / walk.

cougie gave advice - which she should have thanked him for.  Would have said the same if I was asked.

Some other "runner" said "You're screwed" - which is not advice, not helpful and not really needed.

• Options
    around and around and around this thread goes

it's like fucking groundhog day in here now

enough I say - let the thread die

(despite this post prolonging it!)
  • Options
    fat buddha wrote (see)
    around and around and around this thread goes it's like fucking groundhog day in here now enough I say - let the thread die (despite this post prolonging it!)

I'm sure someones said that already....

• Options
    WiBWiB ✭✭✭
    RicF wrote (see)
    Being a faster runner than someone else does not mean they are better than the other runner, it just means they are a faster runner. Its not the same as being a better person. Its context. The ones who raise more money are better at raising money than those who don't. As for builders having to lug weights all day, one of the fastest runners ever was a guy called John Downes who ran 100 miles a week around labouring and building all day. 49 mins for 10 miles at 38 years of age, 13 mins something for 5000m.
    So when the idea of these RACES is to cover the distance as fast as you can, being faster does not mean you are better at it?... So in football it doesn't matter how many goals each team scored, they both played 90 minutes, and tried very hard bless them, so the team with the most goals wasn't in fact any better, they are exactly the same.
  • Options

Lets just bold the next bit RicF wrote:
    "Its not the same as being a better person. Its context. "

The point, I think, being; for a lot of people the acheivement is just to get round the course (as I'm sure it is the first time anyone does a marathon), for, more experienced, others it is to get faster. The two acts are almost entirely different.

Sneering at one another is not very friendly... and as such will always provoke a bad reaction... or 12 pages of tit for tat.

• Options
    Medals are just more clutter.
  • Options
    mg83 wrote (see)

The point, I think, being; for a lot of people the acheivement is just to get round the course (as I'm sure it is the first time anyone does a marathon), for, more experienced, others it is to get faster. The two acts are almost entirely different.

Sneering at one another is not very friendly... and as such will always provoke a bad reaction... or 12 pages of tit for tat.

12 pages of 'tit for tat' that includes your only 3 posts !! might only be 11 otherwise.

This isn't about sneering or belittling, it started off about manners and turned into amongst other things a discussion about finishing/covering distance/running/racing and valid points were made.  My 9 year old  daughter can walk 13 miles.  I, as of last Sunday, know that I can now run 12.44 miles, therefore I will run my first Half Marathon next Sunday.  Had I not got to the point where I believed I could run it, I personally would not have taken part.  Now I am fairly confident that I will run the distance and I will cherish the medal that I hope to get from running my first half, would my 9 year old be entitled to one because she can walk the distance, of course not.  On the other hand, those that complete marathons and raise vital cash for worthwhile cash have my admiration, I would much rather train than ask for sponsorship and I find that harder to do than the training so those guys clearly have a place in all of this, but saying that you have completed a marathon or similar when you clearly intend to walk a significant amount, in my opinion is not the same.  I have no doubt that I could walk/run a marathon right this minute but I wont.  If the day comes that I can run one then I will, and at that point take my medal and hang it right alongside the one from my frst Half.

• Options

Those that finish in front of me at a race do so only because of their good fortune to have better genetics or time to train more.

Those that finish behind me eat my shorts.

• Options
    WiBWiB ✭✭✭
    mg83 wrote (see)

I think a fair number of people train properly, dedicate the necessary time to the task and know that a pan flat course in fine weather is not likely to be a problem for them. For those aiming to "just get round the course", fair play to them if that is their target, I will certainly not think less of someone on that basis, but some of them will still get round better than others. Be it natural ability, better prepared or willing to suffer a little bit more... they ARE better at getting round the course.

Anyway, last from me on this.

• Options

Re: Rich Jackson:

Yep, my only 3 posts. Have lurked a bit for a short while - thought there was some interesting issues raised amongst the sniping (from many corners).

Personally, I'm along the same lines of thinking as you, I dropped out of the first half I signed up for because I knew I would be able to do it justice (probably a mix of lack of confidence and training - also 2hr drive away). Ive now done 4 marathons with a PB of just under 4hrs, which isn't a time thats going to set the world on fire, it is what it is - the time speaks for itself no need to decide if its running, walking jogging.

My point being if you run 2.40, good for you, the time speaks for itself. As does 3, 3.30, 5, 6, 7 etc. 7hrs may be a fully walking time - but its still better than the 95% (or whatever it is) of people who dont do it at all.

• Options
     - oh and good luck for Sunday - hope it goes well.
  • Options
    Quite surprised by reading this thread, I didn't realise people have such strict rules on what constitutes running a marathon, I thought I had ran one but I stopped 2-3 times towards the end so I suppose it doesn't count.

People run the marathon for different reasons, my longest ever run before the marathon I did was only 14 or 15 miles, obviously this isn't ideal but once you are pushing yourself in the race it is easy to overcome this issue. I thought I would finish in about 3.15 and only finished in 03:41:15 but does that mean I deserve the same stick that the thread starter is getting?
  • Options
    "Fat Buddha - if you'd ignored this thread instead of saying we should ignore it, it would be over now, so I'm going to ignore it"

you're right Nick

• Options
  • Options
    It's soon going to take longer to read this that it took the OP to stroll 26.2 miles
  • Options

For the first time I went down to actually see the London Marathon.

I was standing outside Buck House at the 300 yard point before the runners turn right to meet royalty.

I saw a quick glimpse of the winner of the mens race and the first British guy home as well as the womens wheelchair race.

Things I saw and heard and felt;

1. The wheelchair athletes go at an unearthly speed and may in fact be in league with the devil.

2. Running at 4.20 pace really doesnt look fast even when your spitting distance from the runner.

3. That bald bloke in his late 40's running with small steps hardly swinging his arms is according to his friend capable of running a 2:20 marathon but has a chest infection this marathon so will be happy with his finish time of 2:30.

4.Being able to  finish the London Marathon before the little orange cones are taken away at the 300 yards to go point should be the only deciding factor of who is allowed to have and raise children.

5. Finally any runner who can get home before the afore mentioned little orange cones are taken away and still have the presence of mind and strength to blow a kiss to the crowd or raise their hands to applaud the crowd ( actually saw both)should be allowed to walk into Buck House and ask for tea and have it served while they post run stretch in the Grand Ball Room

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Wasn't number 5 Liz Yellings entrance to the mall?
  • Options
    HellywobsHellywobs ✭✭✭

I think getting round 26.2 miles on foot is an achievement, regardless of whether you run, walk or hop it. Or a mix of all three!