Options

I got my medal thank you!!!

Comments

• Options
    PhilPub wrote (see)
    Nick Windsor 4 wrote (see)

I sometimes jog to cool down, but I would deliberately not run back in the face of oncoming finishers because I would perceive it as not quite the courteous thing to do, and a little disrespectful of those still moving, you had the open road for your run and so maybe you should afford them the same courtesy

I think this is a little ridiculous quite frankly.  (One would assume that the cool-down was on the side of the actual course and not impeding runners still out on the course.)  Anyone who takes, say, 60 mins to complete a 10k will know that the faster runners in the race are likely to have finished nearly half an hour before them.  What difference does it make whether they see people jogging to cool down when they're still racing?  If I've just finished a race going round the perimeter of a park should I deliberately head out onto the road outside the park for my cool down?  Or maybe jog on the grass, at least a few hundred yards away from the sight of those still running, preferably with my race number not showing?  Are people's sensibilities really that fragile?

Well said! Agree with the caveat too though.

• Options
    At the Carlisle half a few years ago I had to barge my way through finished runners (and their supporters) who were walking back from the finish. This was in the final half mile of the race and it held me up significantly. I still get cross at the selfishness of it now nd how people couldn't possibly have missed that I was still running and having to dodge them. I did it in around 2 hours so it wasn't as if it was after any cutt off's or anything.. I don't know if it was a 'pack' mentality thing and people thought it was ok because everyone else was doing it, or if they were jut utterly thoughtless. It was probably a fairly unique situation as I think basically everyone had to walk that way to get out. I hope in the years since they have been able to tape a bit off for the runners, as it was a good race otherwise. I don't mind runners coming back past me, and appreciate their support when they give it, but the key thing is to not be at all in the way, as said above.
  • Options

I did this half marathon last year, and i admit some bits of it i walked. It was 90 degrees, it was rocky uphill stretches, and i kind of got over confident. I am doing it this year, with the determination to run all of it, since for 12 months nearly, i have looked at my medal, and it just hasnt shined as much as i hoped it would. I completed it yes, but it beat me in places, and it has always bothered me. Well i have trained very hard in the last twelve months, and got my PB in Brighton half. I felt better, but until i do Three Forts again, not walk any of it, never give up, any of it, i wont feel i have truly earned my half.

I think everyones philosophy is different though. I mean as long as you gave it your best, truly your best, then what else should matter? Kind of like Eddie Kidd. He gave it his best, when he did London, but he didnt slack, he gave it his all. I once saw a guy who did Hastings half, and he was limping along, but he refused to quit. Then i saw this runner who was just chatting, strolling along. Clearly not giving it her best.. who deserved the medal the most?...  I just let the race officials decide who gets the medals, what the cut off point is, since i am my own biggest critic, and will be sulking for days, if i didnt get 1.33.52, and got 1.34.22, but who really cares, outside of me.

• Options

this thread is brilliant!!!!

One question though,  are there any marathons where they have a time limit?

• Options
    There is one on telly right now. The London Marathon. All competitors must finish on the day.
  • Options

All of them will have cut offs, but how much impact they have on the race will vary. Any race with closed roads will have times they must open the roads by. And races rely on marshals, who will have times at which they are collected and brought in.

At Brighton, this was assuming a maximum finish time of 6:30. Anyone travelling at a slower pace than that (and that really is walking pace) would be allowed to finish, but would have to complete the distance on the pavement, and at their own risk.

• Options
    Just seen interview with Sophie Raynworth. She collapsed last year passed out and was with St Johns Ambulance for 2.5 hours. She still beat the OP's time!!

Hi Liz, nice to be watching this week?
  • Options
    SR - I was in agreement with most your posts on this thread but can't help feeling that last post was a bit gratuitous and bordering on mean
  • Options

Would happily give Sophie Rayworth the kiss of life...

Do you not think tho that having had a rest with St John's she was able to go quicker once she restarted ?

• Options
    NLR - not watching image I'm still a bit emotionally bruised by the whole thing. Although I am considering sticking my runners on for the first time in a week. If only because it's sunny here and won't be later.
  • Options
    cougie wrote (see)
     I cant see London getting shut down for the day for the top 100 runners to do a marathon ?

I would happily see London shut down just  to have the top 100 marathon runners race.

Maybe it could be done just now and again, lets say every four years.

Ba boom tish!

Bit early for you eh Cougie?

• Options
    like the way you used marathon competitor rather than runner. now that is nasty nick
  • Options

You of  course Nick would never insult anyone !!

Nick Windsor 4 wrote (see)
    Rich, you should call yourself Dick
  • Options
    Sweet Jebus would somebody please just wring this thread's neck!
  • Options
    And what's wrong with walking with dog's you elitist dog walker you!!
  • Options
    I was sitting watching that marathon thingy on telly yesterday wondering when the machine guns were going to open up at the entrance to the Mall
  • Options
    Congratulations Sally on completing the marathon, your personal achievement is as good as anyone else's, take no notice of Cougie & Co, there's always an element who have their head up their own arse.I also ran Brighton last week (3:59) & watched VLM yesterday & without the variety of types of runners from fast/slow to young/old this race would be nothing. Leave the snobbery to the Tennis & Golf Clubs, road running is better than that.
  • Options
    Yeah take no notice of Cougie and co. Fu**ing Cougie and his run/walk strategy. B***ard!!!!
    Any time in a marathon is as good as anyone else's. It always makes me angry when they give medals and trophies to the winners of these races.
  • Options
    Coug's bimbled round London in 3:20 yesterday, So it was pretty quick walking if he was run/walking
  • Options
    Maybe he walked the last 385 yards. Because as Nick says "trust me, no one is running after 26 miles". Yay Nick got anymore gems?
  • Options
    Why did Cougie bother to run 3.20 when 6.20 is just as good? Maybe he wanted to get back for the footie?

Well bimbled by the way Cougie. Seems you get more flak for liking my comment than I did for making it.
  • Options
    Hog-mouseHog-mouse ✭✭✭

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/23042012/58/london-marathon-death-tests-place.html

This is why ill prepared runners get short shrift. It has nothing to do with snobbery.

Experienced runners can die yes. But no one wants to advise anyone to run a marathon that hasn't trained well for it.
    We all think about the injury potential. Hoever moderate or severe that is the potential is still there.

I stood and watched from mile 17 until the walkers were comming through every few minutes. People who were going to take 8 hrs + to complete the distance. This isn't something that I would recommend anyone do. It isn't something that I would congratulate anyone for doing if they are generally physically and mentally fit. (of course we all know of people who have fought demons, struggled with adversity to get to the start but for the most part we also know that these people trained for it and are well aware of there limitations and competances.)

I will not pat Sally on the back and say well done. She knew she was under prepared. She knew that she was going to have to walk for the best part of 26.2 miles. She knows that if she had trained well that she should be capable of at least the avarage time of 4:15. For many finishing in pain is less demoralising than knowing you havr gone to far and pulling out. It's easier to continue than to give up. Most of us have been there at some point and know this.

Getting a medal for something that you didn't put the effort into seems a little hollow.

Sally knows that now she is fit she can find another marathon, train for it and run it all in a time that anyone would be proud of having put in the training.

It doesn't always work, things go wrong. Run / walking a marathon or any race is fine by me.

• Options
    PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭
    camillia sinensis assamica mouse wrote (see)

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/23042012/58/london-marathon-death-tests-place.html

This is why ill prepared runners get short shrift. It has nothing to do with snobbery.

Umm, I agree with most of what you say, but the above link suggests that medical tests still need to be done to find out exactly why this partilcular unfortunate tragedy happened (e.g. possibly an underlying heart condition which could have affected someone even if they had prepared properly for the race.)  Therefore I think the link/connection is inappropriate.
  • Options
    Hog-mouseHog-mouse ✭✭✭

Sorry - yes to some extent you are correct, that I why I said even experienced runners can die.

It's the nagging doubt at the back of my head - the advising something that is going to be tough for someone who hasn't trained for it. That they may suffer more than they gain from it.

I kindof wanted to illustrate that it isn't always best to do something regardless. I know that it's hard to not to do a race that you want to do, esp something like London or Brighton (or any of the 'big' marathons).

• Options

I have recently changed from heel to forefoot landing and run with walking breaks although rather brief ones now (30-60 secs). I have Berlin marathon booked which I had booked before embarking on this journey to improve running form. Coach says I can only run/walk it, walk through water stations most probably. I originally wanted to quit as when I signed up for it I wanted to beat my previous marathon time (4:28:28). Currently my speed dropped and beating this time with walking breaks is unachievable. I am not sure whether running/walking this marathon will be for me, you need to be pretty much organised and keep your eye on the clock or walk through every water station. I may do it for the sake of having a place now and using it up but would not count this experience as marathon running as its purest form. I properly ran my last marathon all in one go and can now say 'I ran a marathon'. If I decide to do Berlin this year it will only be a training run.

What I am trying to say that a real achievement in my humble opinion is to run it in one go walking maybe briefly through water stations to take in more liquid. I think that applauding for minimal effort is false.

• Options
    camillia sinensis assamica mouse wrote (see)

I will not pat Sally on the back and say well done.

...because she was just plain rude.

• Options

'you're screwed' - 'big fat raspeberry in return', seems a fair trade off to me - and a bit perverse to start complaining about delicate sensibilities and demanding an apology.

Personally I think all beginners should be encouraged, everyone has to start somewhere. Sports die when they dont encourage the grass roots.