Options

Auviour Paris: So long and thanks for the cobbles

Comments

• Options

NY Report

Wednesday 31st October day one of our adventure a will they wont they kind of day! Myself my wife Jeannie and daughter Hannah were due to travel to JFK airport the next day. We had looked forward to our trip for a year now but were really worried by the news coverage of the hurricane and were unsure if we could even fly.

I called our travel insurers as we had heard through friends in NY that things their were very grim and we really were not confident about flying into a disaster zone. We were beginning our trip away with friends in Greenwich village but they emailed to say their apartment had no power or water! We were in such a dilemma should we fly to somewhere else or risk the situation! We wanted to enjoy our time away not endure it. Unfortunately our travel insurance did not cover us as NY had not been declared by the Foreign Office as a destination that was unsafe to travel to, but we knew for sure that we couldn't stay with our friends in downtown manhattan.

We tried and failed to email the hotel that we were staying in later on in the week ( later we discovered that their phone lines were down) and were begging to lose hope when a friend from church who knew we were coming for the marathon put his USA phone number on Facebook for us to call him. Finally we had news that we could rely on. Our friend Ben explained that the city was partially in darkness and was very cold and a bit desolate but offered to walk to the hotel to check what kind of situation we were flying into. It was great to hear that they had power and spare beds for the nights we wanted.

During a brief conversation on a borrowed mobile credit card details were exchanged and the extra nights stay were booked! As the NY road runners had declared the marathon was going ahead we decided to travel, there seemed no question that it would all go ahead!

We arrived at JFK tired but relived it was there but it was here that things all started feeling a little strange! We took 3 hours to clear customs due to the lack of staff and waited what seemed ages for a cab. When the yellow taxi came we had to share with stranger as the governor had declared that all vehicles crossing Brooklyn bridge had to contain at least three people in order to conserve gas or fuel ! As we travelled into the city we passed endless lines of cars just waiting for fuel , police were everywhere monitoring the situation and abandoned taxis were on every street corner having run out of gas. The only taxis to be had were hybrid electric cars that could continue to run! Our hotel however was brilliant warm dry and welcoming although not full of the usual numbers of attentive staff! 

Day two Friday 2nd we got up early because of the time difference and prepared to go and pick up my number at the expo building a short walk away. The conference centre was full of the usual excited runners all collecting numbers and moving around the advertising stands. The buzz was great , people from all of the world looking forward to the marathon.

Jeannie and I picked up the brochure detailing the route and began to plan a strategy for her and hannah to cheer me on at various points. We then walked to the hotel where I would pick up the coach to the start of the race at Staten Island.

We decided to call into our hotel to drop of my number for safe keeping and happened to turn on the television and there it was the announcement that changed everything the 2012 New York marathon had been cancelled. What? I looked for a while and couldn't quite believe it, cancelled ? Are you sure? GUTTED was the only word I really had!

Looking at the footage of the devastation hurricane sandy had caused I really understood why the mayor had reversed his decision, but it seemed unreal as only a few hours ago I had picked up my number! I under

• Options

Continued.........

I understood that all the resources were needed to help those in distress but it seemed almost as if the race might still go ahead , somehow? We later discovered that the mayor decision had been highly influenced by the power of social media it was sad he said that something that in the past had made the city so proud was now becoming divisive. It was clear to me that from that moment on the race could not possibly go ahead if nothing more that out of a sense of respect for the people of New York.

Some runners did organise an unofficial race on the Sunday in Central Park but I felt strongly that I didn't want to be a part of this. 
    Some marathon runners decided to run from Central Park to staten island with supplies in bags on their backs but I decided that having run sixteen races this year and raised 11 k for charity I wanted to spend time enjoying what was left of my holiday with my family! 

The city was just beginning to get back to normal by Monday, there were more taxis on the street and the subway was almost back to full service. It's been an experience and I don't think I will ever visit a quieter New York City but we had a fabulous time enjoying the shopping and were welcomed so warmly by the American people!

So running in NYC never quite happened but at least I can run my final marathon on 23rd December and know that my one year of running changing lives forever is complete! Www.olympicnick.com

FH

• Options

FH - you get bonus points in my world for even having made it over there under the circumstances.  Your dignity does you proud - there was nothing you could have done but accept the decision with the good grace that you did and make the best of the situation.

You'll deffo never forget that one and will always have a story to tell the grandkids! image

• Options

Pantalons - the beginnings of a plan have already been thwarted!  I was tempted into the GNR melee for next year to run with my friend but I'm on my flippin course that weekend BOOOOO image

Anyone know of any other flat / fast halves in September / October ???? image

• Options

FH - agree with SB, you handled the situation marvellously.  Welcome back.

• Options

Great report FH and you have done yourself proud this year and a very dignified respect for the people of NYC who I am sure are appreciative of the resources that could be directed in their direction instead of on the marathon. Well done I reckong I would have been very upset to spend all that money flying over and not get to run, hey ho NY is a great city for a visit, went there in 1984 when the Twin Towers were on the tourist route.  Put your races on the thread list and updated Oscars and SBs.
    Great racing Ben, SB and roadrunner Oscarr too. I had a little 7.5 mile trot yesterday morning watching the sun come up over the hill at Monsal Head.  Bit run down over the weekend too much working last week and nearly 40 miles running took its toll.  Who is going to the Asics competition anyone heard yet? Happy new week to all.

https://sites.google.com/site/monsalrunning/races-2012-2013

• Options

FH - very measured insights from you re New York! I would have been spitting feathers, but overall I hope I would have had the same reaction as you, oh and, congrats on the charity fundraising efforts this year. That must give you a rel glow.....

Oscarr - that was a training run. I have been studying the Boston Mara topography and now know I have to prepare for net descent of 310 feet in the first 4 miles and then a net rise of 210 feet from mile 16 to 18. To date I have run flat marathons, so I have to develop some quads that will last!

Back to the training run, I worked out that if I did say 6/7 miles hard on Saturday and the Highclere route on Sunday, I will hit the climb at a simulated 16 miles or so on tired legs. From the crest to home, is about 3 miles sharply downhill and that simulates 4 of the last 6 Boston miles which are again downhill by 220 feet.

I won't do this every week of course, and if I reverse the route then I can mash my legs downhill on soft pasture. Too soon to put this into practice yet, but at least I think I have a found a beautiful playground and I won't be seen so much on the flat Avon & Kennet canal.....

• Options

FH - thanks for the report, sounds like a very odd NYC something that will eb long remembered, shame about the marathon though.

Mike - I live in Kingsclere and used that very stretch of disused railway line for the fast section of my long runs!  Have you ever run the Combe Gibbet to Overton 16.1 XC that takes in the same hills? normally March/April time?

MCS - Good luck with the comp (I will be voting for you), I might have to switch from Salisbury to Grindleford hmmmm choices, choices

• Options

Think you would enjoy GG more! Good thing about a Saturday race is you can chill Sunday. My OH looks after some holiday homes if you need a couple of nights for the family!!!image
    Head torch on time to plod home up the trail. 16 weeks on Saturday to that hilly race so better get moving abit........
    Mike Boston sounds like a tough race, especially if its as hot as it was this year, reading about that race, sounded horrendous, bit like Edinburgh was for me but without the hilly bits!.

• Options

SB ref your question for Halfs next year........Royal Parks Half is a flat half but fills up very quick did that three years ago.....central London though, thats in October as is Birmingham Half , hill on the last hill from memory did that in 2010.  Bound to be some flat halves over your way.

• Options

SB - if you want a flat HM with a bit of travel then I can thoroughly recomend  the Route Du Vin in Luxembourg (usually last wk in Sept). I have run it in the last 3 years and it is pan flat, out and back along the Moselle river - stunning scenery at that time of the year winding along the river amongst the vineyards.

Travel is easy and you can fly direct from Gatwick (easyjet) for £60. The event itself is Euros 30-35 and you get 10 of that back when you hand in your chip at the end. Small race fewer than 2,000 runners but Kenyans dominate the sharp end and course record is 59:xx (not that that will trouble me too much!).

There is a City HM in May, run in the evening for a change........

• Options

Choisty - when is CG run 2013?

I have heard of it and even had to step off my mountain bike as the runners went past me one year....it would be a good training run if it works (backwards) from Boston taper - race 15th April '13.

• Options

Mike, the Gibbet is on 7-Apr-13 so a bit too close, here is the link just in case (I ran 14 the week before Paris but Steve is mean like that!)  http://www.overtonharriers.org.uk/club-races/combe-gibbet/

SB, fast HM round my way are Gosport 18-Nov (this year), Wokingham (v v fast) and of course Reading.

You could of course try the Felix Baumgartner approach!

• Options

FH what an amazing report.  I applaud your style and your calm. 

Funny old day today - did just over 8 miles in 75 mins on the Alter G, a few drills later with the kids we work with, gave up on wall to wall lunges as I was getting dizzy.  Liking the running backwards though. 

Looks like I may have entered too many races in the marathon build up, I may have to revise my list. 

• Options
    Thanks for all your comments guys. I am waiting to hear what NY road runners do for all the runners who missed out this year, they might give everyone the opportunity to run any NY mara in the next 5 years. Would love to go back and run it, just not in 2013!

Anyone know when the lucky Asics 26.2 boot campers get the call ??

Gentle run tonight, 1st training run with my sister 2.5 miles @ 10.30 pace. My sis is very worried about running her 1st half, I know with training she will be fine. Will try and run with her once a week and I have come up with a 3 runs per week plan leading to the Reading Half.

10 miles for me in the morning and then a few bits of admin !!

FH
  • Options

Morning all - thanks for the suggestions guys - I will look into them all except for the dropping out of space one (terrifying thought image). It's just finding one that'll fit in with our trip to Cyprus next year and me being on my course and what my friend can do too.

FH - I think it was towards the end of the following week that we got the email saying we'd been selected for bootcamp.  They must need a bit of time to look through the applications once the comp has closed.

reiki - can you run them as training runs or as part of a longer one?  I found using events as group training runs really good fun and not half as hard as I thought I would in terms of not actually racing myself.  I'm quite hooked on just taking part when it's not a target race!  It is a bit odd though to get your head round your time at the end at first.

Next xc for me this weekend - back to our local league and 5k ish for the ladies.  Think this one is meant to be the hilliest one as it's in the Lincolnshire wolds.  I'm really looking forward to it as we considered that as somewhere to live until we found out the commute would be a bit silly everyday for Ben. Talking of whom - that's him on a plane to Holland for a services xc - will tell you more when I hear...

Question of the day - anyone here taking vitamin D this winter?  According to Outdoor Fitness mag this month we should be taking 25ug of D3 (apparently its better than D2) daily between now and February to combat the lack of sunshine aided production in our own bodies.  Just checked - my liquid supplement doesn't contain D so I think I'll get some - either that or I'll hop in oscarr's suitcase for a quick jaunt to Cyprus!

• Options
    SB, so it's an email I need to look out for !! Will look into Vit D, sounds like a good idea.

Just about to head out for a nice gentle run through the local lanes and river paths.

SB knows via Facebook but I forgot to post on here, I have been nominated for Readings very own Sports Personality of the Year Awards !!!! My lovely wife was behind it nominating me in the Committed to Sport category. Will have to go to a posh hotel for a 3 course dinner on the 9th of December to find out the results, will let you all know the outcome.

FH
  • Options

Three miles home in pitch black last night as my rechargeable batteries are obviously no good!!! Annoyed.......just bought them. Might go back to good old Duracells.
    Did four and abit mile of interval miles this morning....managed to set off a bit quick and did a 7.37-7.18-7.54 and 7.56 knackered when I got to work!!!  Time for a coffee me thinks........
    Got a schedule which I printed off from the smart coach for a marathon dated March 9th. If I treat the GG 21 mile race as a marathon should be nicely fit by then!!  I put in my recent times for the GNR and it came back with a schedule which is pretty heavy on the long runs but doable. So starting that on Monday of next week. What routines are you guys in? Last week was in the 30s for my mileage.

• Options

FH, congrats and good luck I hope you enjoy yourselves...was it commited to sport or need to be commited because of looney sporting behaviour?

MCS - I'm at about 50mpw at the mo after the half at the weekend it will gradually rise as base training for London should be at 70ish come xmas, based on 3 fast pace sessions (1 tempo, 2 reps), two long runs and 3 easy runs per week.  Round your way every run must have hill reps in!image

• Options

FH you will get an email this week by Friday........image

• Options

Choisty too true !!

MCS, thanks, just hope 1 of us gets lucky.

Nice an easy 7 and bit @ 8.55 pace for me today.

FH

• Options
    BoDukeBoDuke ✭✭✭

Hi folks, how's tricks?

Not been about for a while, sorry. Got a new job and it's all new job stressie. Not been able to get on the forums properly at work and not had the time at home (oh the lame excuses)...

Oh, and I'm not back so I can apply for the 26.2 things again image

• Options

Yer right we will see the vote BoDuke thread soon enough! image

• Options
    BoDukeBoDuke ✭✭✭

Choisty: promise... image

• Options

It's about time you turned up BoD! image  Good to see you're still around.

As I recall... you wouldn't be the first one to claim "first timer" status accidentally in error.  After all, marathons don't count unless their sub-4 image

Are you still in for Brighton?  

• Options
    BoDukeBoDuke ✭✭✭

Ten, dude!!!

I think they might just (maybe) recall that one... image 

I'm very much still on for Brighton, had to double check with the Travellodge that they have a room still. Training for another half in December and then will attempt to build up to start of training plan. Might follow the Asics crews' programme to see how that works. May have to consider aims then. What you up to?

Oh, knocked out 8 miles this morning in 1:06:25, loved it.

• Options

Nice one... will be seeing you at the Travelodge.  I've got a London place too (through the ballot), but I'll defer that to 2014 unless something goes wrong with Brighton.

I'm still considering whether to run the Bedford Half in December (I recently ran Stevenage in a shade under 1:55).  I considered using the P&D schedules, but the midweek mileage is too much for me at my pace image.  I'll probably mix ideas from P&D with the RW/Asics plan.  I want to knock a serious chunk off my marathon time if my dodgy knee will allow me to train consistently.

It seems incredible that it's almost time to start marathon training again!

I'm hoping for better weather next year.... though my track record hasn't been good this year image

• Options
    Good to see Bo is still alive and kicking !

Ten I did Bedford last year, really good race through some nice country lanes and a good downhill section towards the end. I might do it again this year, need to make sure I'm not working though.

FH
  • Options

I ran it last year too FH.  There's about 400m of incline right at the end.  No doubt you were on your third pint by the time I got anywhere near finishing image.  

• Options
    BoDukeBoDuke ✭✭✭

Ten: I'm doing Bedford!!!! Good work on Stevenage, I came in 1.46 at GER and was really disappointed (got my pacing wrong between mile 3 and 6) then blew up at 7ish. That and needed to use a random blokes loo... image

FH, thanks mate you too.