Options

Auviour Paris: So long and thanks for the cobbles

Comments

• Options

imagethinking thinking.......

• Options
    BoDukeBoDuke ✭✭✭

I'm gonna have a crack at entering Abingdon in October.

Also voted for the new 26.2 bunch, based on their statements. Runny RunRun's got my GFA vote (being that I met her last year and is really nice). image

• Options

Voted, some right speedy merchants in there this time. I have voted for the slower lot and those around my speed.image

• Options
    BoDukeBoDuke ✭✭✭
    mcs: me too, looking for a thread to follow that is close to my aims.
  • Options

Abingdon is a possibility though fancy using the training over the next 16 weeks for an earlier marathon. What are you aims for next one then BO? 3.50 sub?

• Options
    I'm hoping to do Abingdon 2013.

Mind you this morning's progression run was a bit of a joke, was supposed to be 15 mins from start point then back quicker, but in fact I got one pathway confused Di ran a simple (very convoluted and twisty) 15 mins each way.

Managed 1.77 out, 1.80 back.

Mmmmmm
  • Options

I have a place in GNR but not going to do it this year done it three years in a row. Message me if anyone wants the place.

• Options

I've waited four months for my appointment with the orthopaedic consultant, so it came as no surprise to me that the roads were a nightmare because of snow.  After walking the kids to school, I then walked the three-odd miles to the hospital - overtaking the bus on the way image

Also, I know the only law guaranteed to apply to me is Sod's law.  So of course I would have absolutely no knee pain at all today.  One of only half-a-dozen such days since August.

Having walked to the hospital, I made it well in time for my appointment.  Unlike the consultant, which meant my appointment was about ninety minutes late anyway image

Anyway, I had an X-Ray.  This showed no damage to the joints.  After further examination the consultant says that I have some thinning cartilage and a rough inner surface - a normal product of aging.  No real ITB problem and no need for severe intervention by way of an operation.  Maybe I will need a steroid in the future, but not now.  I am being referred for physio to help.  I suspect the physio will involve quad strengthening - but I forgot to ask (d'oh!).

Best news was there is no problem with running and training for a marathon image

• Options

Whoooopy whooooooooo Ten - hope you get a nice physio who doesn't make you work too hard! imageimageimage

• Options
    Great news Ten you must be pleased.
  • Options

Great news indeed ten image

MCS Abingdon or there is Berlin, Frankfurt or Amsterdam??? I love abingdon great race, fills up quick mind

loved the tracks in the snow today 10M in 65mins faster than the trains!!!

On the ASICS Target 26.2, did you see the chap looking at 2:20 can't wait for his thread as I want to know how he thinks that is achievable for a first marathon, blikin' flip

• Options

LOL - Will be interesting indeed... Ben will be aiming around/under that for his first - wonder if Ricky's a quick 'un in a half too? image

• Options
    Gosh should be interesting!

Ten how super, it'll be gluteus gallorus for sure!
  • Options

You thawed out yet reiki?  I managed to beat the chill today - though doubtless didn't resemble anything human on a bike thanks to the many layers!

• Options

Thanks guys (and gals).  I am indeed very pleased - it could have been a lot worse.  Hopefully I won't have to wait too many months for the Physio!

Celebratory four mile progression run on the treadmill tonight.  Felt very good.

When do they start sign-ups for Abingdon?  Not that I'm at all interested you understand image

• Options
    mcs wrote (see)

Voted, some right speedy merchants in there this time. I have voted for the slower lot and those around my speed.image

You're not wrong.  

First timer with a target of 2:20 !!?  I find it hard to relate to that, and also to those who have PB's far faster than their targets.  Makes me think the competition is looking for finalists who are guaranteed to make their targets, rather than being a challenge.  I've only skimmed the details though, so I may be missing something.  If I'm not missing something, I'll enter next year with a target time of six hours.

• Options
    BoDukeBoDuke ✭✭✭
    Brilliant news Ten! Looked on their website and looks like they might announce soon. I remember Choisty talking about it on the day in London last year... Oh God it's been a year!

2:20??? I'm rendendered without voice.

On the up side, did get out this evening for a 5 miler with 3 at 1/2 pace. Felt good, looking forward to Sunday now.
  • Options

Morning all

Still no snow here - jealous - though the frost is pretty!  So any one thinking of any goals or resolutions for next year?

I'd like to do more miles than this year (though not bothered how many more) but need to put some time into thinking of possible resolutions....

Anyone got anything in mind to inspire me?

• Options
    Ten - Abo last year opened feb 1st and full in two weeks, best to keep an eye on their web site now as they will announce soon when entries will be open.

Sleepy - just think Ultras and Walls and Cyprus!!!
  • Options

Thanks Oscarr - that gives me some thinking time.  

• Options

Has anyone elsed noticed? There seems to be a distinct lack of interest in the 26.2 campaigns so far... Anyone care to join in - hardly seems fair that 5 people will get through without having to "earn" their place... image

• Options

SB - I tried to look at some of the contestents and couldn't find their forum posts, profile or anything.  I voted for a couple already and have others in mind.  Mainly I've taken a similar approach to mcs - because I want to be able to follow along and ask questions as I train for a similar goal.

I really can't see the point in voting for someone who's target is well short of their PB.  While I have sympathy for their stories, I don't see what they have to learn by running slower than they have achieved in the past.  I can do that.  I can do that right now.  And I don't need help to achieve it.

• Options

By the way, call me a cynic but......  I suspect the decision is already made.  A bit like local councils holding public consultations on planning matters.

• Options

Ten, the vote counted last year, I managed to get the poll info as I nagged (a lot!!!) as it is the first an only time I've been popular! Agree on the target less than PB malarky and a coupl eof them who could hit their target by eating less pies!

SB, Ben is quicker than Ricky and I think it is a stretch target for him too.  For that matter one of my training partners is quicker has been running less time and would target sub 2:30.  Ricky's PB's are 31:08 10k and 71:40 HM quick but he seems to be a shorter distance runner

SB...Something I used recently was run 1 day a week as you feel no watch, no route, just trainers and a smile!

RIght I'm off to give them a hard time

• Options
    Choisty wrote (see)

...a coupl eof them who could hit their target by eating less pies!

PMSL. image

Though in fairness...  that's probably true for many of us image

• Options

You're going to take my pies away?image

• Options

I cant eat pies so stop talking about pies please I am starvin, just had a banana for mid morning snack and still hungry.  Did a great interval session this am which was good seeing as how I got to bed at midnight after a fantastic evening at Sheff City Hall warm up act was Nel Bryden, what a singer just her and a guitar, a 1946 Gibson and a voice to die for singing all her own songs. Then two and a half hours of Jools, Ruby Turner, Roland Gift of Five Young Cannibals fame, showing my age. Booged the whole two hours.......great night.
    Returning to more serious stuff.......a freezing morning.........9.13 warm up mile then 7.39-7.11-7.24 then cool down 8.03 and a half mile to finish and felt much easier this week than last weeks interval session.
    SB how many miles have you run this year? Got a training programme for Coniston 14 that is only about 16 weeks away? Get a wall chart up on the kitchen wall with the dates of your races and a training programme next to them.....

• Options

BoD - have you decided on a training plan for Brighton?  Are you going to use Asics sub 3:45 or something like that?

I keep toying with the idea of following P&D, though it would be an effort to keep up with the midweek runs.  They start off at 8 and 9 miles in midweek, which is a fair commitment of time.  However, it makes a lot of sense during base building.

Decisions to make... and quickly now image

• Options

Good news on your knee Ten all the best take it steady.image

• Options
    Hi all I have to laugh at the idea of needing help to achieve a PW but must confess that I have had no time to check the stories.

I too like following people with similar goals, but while we are all so different individually within that, there are often more factors in common than goal times, and I really enjoyed and got great tips from the wisdom of both Sam and Steve last year.