Options

Mini Sermon/teaching

Comments

• Options

On no I do not approve of hellfire and brimstone -  there is no hell so what is the point of preaching about it, obviously.

That's why you need a life lesson - especially for the folks who are only there for the peace and quiet or so their kids get exposure to church - something everyone can learn from.

• Options

haha - I visit a lot of churches and I am usually all nice and smiley and of course know a lot of theology from my time in the light (so to speak).  Everyone is always shocked when they ask me where I go to church and apparently lots of people are going to pray for me. - which is nice.

(although I did meet one minister who thought that me, confessing to having lost my faith, was the most patronising thing he had ever heard.  This is after I have given his church thousands of pounds to repair their hall..... some folks give religion a really bad name...)

• Options

Very true. We are doing Pentecost this  Sunday as Messy Church is once a month. The life lesson comes in story we tell. I agree hell doesn't exist image

• Options

unless it's other people image

• Options

I am liking your theology young man.

• Options

Na, Sorry everybody but...............I believe that its not for me to judge who goes where and why. My parents are not Christian do I believe a loving god will send them to hell? I dont think so. Then you will fire back the question what about all these bad people and then I say the very Anglican response 'its not my problem' image

• Options

haha without boring you with theology hell in the bible often translates as 'pit'. Many things are not easy to discuss and are not very interesting. i could give you a very boring talk on whats what, but it will never change my mind or yours image

• Options
    fat buddhafat buddha ✭✭✭

WOT ABOUT THE DINOSAURS??

ooops - sorry - wrong religion....

carry on

• Options

Alright alright, they will be consumed in the fires of hell where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth

• Options

Fat Buddha, trust me when I say adam and eve and all that good stuff is quite clearly untrue image again the answer will be very boring as to why i think that. Im 28 years old and living in the real world

• Options

I was a member of a cavinistic church - I could never get my head around the idea of predestination where it pertained to the lost rather than to the saved.

And why is one 'bad' person bad enough  - defining the point at which someone is beyond the pale seems a very difficult thing for a human being to do.  After all - the more we learn about our own biology shows just how random it can  be and how much we are controlled by our own bodies/environment etc. 

• Options

Corr good observation, perhaps this is why we lose our teeth as we get older??? Lets stick to theology and not start on philosophy image

• Options

I once had a brilliant maths lecturer who proved that heaven was hotter than hell..... he  was quite dishy too which didn't hurt  (it was you Dr Constanza if you have since taken up running!)

• Options

I agree gymaddict, being a Calvinist was a bit hardcore? If i was predestined to go to heaven that would mean I could do whatever I liked and it wouldnt matter. Just doesn't seem right? I agree life can be pretty random and is controlled by us, this is where I play the free will card

• Options
    fat buddhafat buddha ✭✭✭

as an atheist I would like to make my position quite clear

it's all bollocks

thank you

• Options

Ah but I don't think we have as much free will as we like to think!  I believe humans like to impose order and meaning on things that are inherently random and at the same time believe they have chosen things that quite clearly they would never have declined given their personalities/lifestyle/background etc.

I know quite a few folks who say 'it was fate' when they make a good decision rather than entertaining the possibility that intuition and fate are more likely to be the subconscious convergence of other past life decisions and outcomes.

• Options

Well if it were easy to disprove I would give it a go image

• Options

Bit like god - very difficult to prove a negative.

• Options

this was always going to take this route. I was an Athiest until 2 years ago until I studied Theology and Philosophy and the more you learn the more it makes sense. If you have a stand point of your NOT going to believe you wont. I'm not going to tell you any different. People see religion in newspapers or in films and do not actually experience it in real life so to speak.  So I am defo not going to preach at anybody and I was always going to be outnumbered as this is the world we live in today. It all may be bollocks but from what I have learnt I am not willing to risk it;-)

• Options

LOL - I am the opposite.

I was deeply religious - born again evangelical Christian.  The more I studied theology the more I realised that not believing in god made sense.  

I most certainly know  what I gave up - it was a very difficult thing to do.  I loved god - deeply and truly - it was difficult to accept that he didn't exist.   I realise that most religious folks would then just put my conversion down to 'not actually being a true conversion' in fact I am sure I heard a sermon along those lines once OR just think - well she'll come back to the fold eventually - but in truth  I had an actual 'duh!' moment and I don't think you can come back from that.

I belive faith is inherently within us to different degrees. Some people need something to believe in and if they are in the right circumstances at the time then that thing will be god or the church. If they are in different circumstances then it may be something completely different or in fact they may severly struggle because they need a spiritual ballast that they are lacking.

• Options

If truth be known your not far from the truth. Many things shape what we think and believe. For instance today somebody I knew had died. He was a canon in the CofE. Had a stroke last week. He was a very religious man and died the most amazing and awe inspiring death. His wife has coped with his death very well, knowing she will be with him again soon. Religion could be a load of rubbish but it genuinely helps people. This is one of many people I could name.

• Options

That is it in a nutshell. The reason for religion.

I just wish it was true.  image