Options

Mini Sermon/teaching

123457»

Comments

• Options

Def the best idea.  I hated attending an RC full mass - especially when you are the ONLY one not taking mass and you are the BRIDESMAID!  (everybody staring wondering who let the heathen in)

• Options

I am in the same position - sort of.  My sis, protestant agnostic, has decided to christen her daughter in the church of scotland - so that her Italian RC mother-in-law won't try and take over her religious upbringing.

She has asked me to be godmother.

There is a fair chance that (except for afrorementioned mother in law) I will be most versed in what christianity actually is amongst her friends but I am a very committed atheist.

I just told her that I loved her enough to lie - and so long as she was happy with that then I was up for it.  

• Options

Oh!  You are brave.  Reading that kind of thing 1) makes me howl 2) makes me want to go out and lecture religious folks.  

• Options

KittenKat hope all goes well,

As regards to a Godparent the whole idea is obviously to help the Baptised child through their life with a kind of Religious impact but well done to respecting the situation. But all i'd say is just be a good role model and help the child with any guidence you feel necessary image

And also don't forget its not just religion that causes horrific things. In the 20th century the two biggest episodes concerning the biggest loss of life and brutality were the 1st and 2nd world war. Religion did not start themimage

• Options

Isn't 7/11 a supermarket?

• Options
    TheVicar wrote (see)
    Funny you bring up a wimpy Jesus coz I think the opposite. He would have mixed with fishermen and all sorts. He mixed with the botom rung of the ladder. He would be drinking and swearing and having a laugh with them. He was pretty hardcore, trashing the temple in Jerusalem. Thats the same as you or I going into a Mosque and smashing it up whilst morning prayer is going on. He was beaten half to death and still managed to crack on to be crucified. He lived in a harsh world mixing with harsh people. People wanted him dead. The real Jesus was no P***y. image He would have been a bloke you would see down the pub. He was quite a blokey bloke.

Well that really is a load of poop.

For some reason you want to start a myth of the muscular JC. JC in the buff sortin' out the infidels. Sort of clarifies where religion is today. It fundamentally is about projecting on to a mythical being that which you want to believe. You want to believe in  a buff JC. No problemo just get up in the pulpit and start biggin MR JC up as the hero of Die Hard -0.0.

As for saying that "Thats the same as you or I going into a Mosque" - thats bullshit on a biblical scale. Even according to your own records, that was JC (a jew) going into a Jewish institution. To compare that with a christian interrupting a moslem prayer is dishonest. Furthermore, according to your comic books, JC wasnt just interrupting prayers he was messing with a market he didnt think should be in a particualr building. So a better comparison would be if the local church had installed a Coke machine alongside the ATM and a parishioner complained. Loudly.

How soft is your skin? What moisturiser do you use? You have to be putting some effort into your cosmetic routine if you think talking to "fisherman and sorts" makes you hard core. I talked to my postie yesterday  - guess that makes me mildly tough, not quite hardcore though. Tomorrow I shall venture a word with the chap who empties the bins. FFS.

This quite clearly shows religion up for what it is. Politics by another name. You get up in front of people and persuade them that you know more than them and therefore you should take their money and tell them what to do. Politics, nothing more.

• Options

All I am saying is that he isn't the person you see in the pictures with the bunnies at his feet staring into the eyes of some small bird. What Jesus done walking into the temple and trashing it was massive on a huge scale. Comparing that to somebody who moaned loudly is not correct and far from it. If you put 100 people in a room to watch a football match you would get 100 different reports on what happens. They could all be Atheists, I would not judge them saying oh you made that game what you want it to be. Same as the Bible, we are all human and we interpret things in different ways. Fishermen at the time were rough and ready and so were the people he mixed with. He didn't mix with the great and the good, in actual fact he openly ridiculed them . So again I believe you have made a mistake there too.

Also I do not tell anybody what to do. As I have said previously I am there to help the people who have a question to ask, not to force what I believe on them. If somebody asks me a question I will always say this is what I believe however others believe this this and this go away and read this and make your own mind up.

Also I have never given the church a penny when I sat in the congregation and I'm sure I will not be frowned upon in this world or the next image

• Options

I'm liking TheVicar. image

We give to our church by standing order. Have done for years. So when the baskets come round and we don't put a quid in, we look like skinflints but the truth is, if we gave our weekly giving in that basket, we'd look like show offs. You can't win.
    And what we choose to give is between us and God. And the Treasurer who isn't allowed to say how much it is.

• Options

just like to say thanks for all the points of view and to sign off with a very thoughful story about good and evil

Jesus and Satan have a discussion as to who is the better programmer. This goes on for a few hours until they come to an agreement to hold a contest, with God as the judge. They sit themselves at their computers and begin. They type furiously, lines of code streaming up the screen, for several hours straight. Seconds before the end of the competition, a bolt of lightning strikes, taking out the electricity. Moments later, the power is restored, and God announces that the contest is over. 

He asks Satan to show what he has come up with. Satan is visibly upset, and cries, "I have nothing. I lost it all when the power went out." 

"Very well, then," says God, "let us see if Jesus fared any better." 

Jesus enters a command, and the screen comes to life in vivid display, the voices of an angelic choir pour forth from the speakers. Satan is astonished. 

He stutters, "B-b-but how? I lost everything, yet Jesus' program is intact. How did he do it?" 

God smiled all-knowingly, "Jesus saves."

• Options

There you are!  It's the rough, tough jeebus that you were trying to sell earlier!

http://www.religifake.com/image/religion/1204/gangsta-jesus-black-jesus-religion-1334966285.jpg

• Options

Sadly I can't perform the magic miracle known as "posting pictures"

• Options

I like both them haha good stuff.

Philpub there must be a T shirt with that on. Thats just what the crowds want to see on a Sunday morning image

• Options

Its now my wallpaper