Options

Overdone it?

Comments

• Options

Skinny - Good time for a banana costume, are you proposing this as another catagory? As Lit says, it's gun time for position so you are definitely 2nd banana. (Good excuse about the hood btw)

Easy running doesn't seem to make the calf any worse so I think I'll just limit myself to that for a few weeks and see how it develops.  I have been doing bent knee calf raises and stretches to target the soleus.  When I saw the physio he tested it by asking me to do this and there is no pain so he thought it was not bad an I should recover quickly.

Everything I've read suggests that it's just a minor niggle and should clear up, but it seems to be lingering.  25th June was when it first became apparent.

• Options

So, apparently me and Skinny both did the same session this week...

• Options

Was it 4 miles Easy?

• Options

That one features tomorrow, yes.

• Options

So coach tells you my sessions? I must be asking him the wrong questions!

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

She's a fair bit more needy than you are Skinny lad image

• Options

Ouch!

Did you find your car keys?

• Options

In Glasgow on what is turning into a monster piss up - so far in my wind down week in addition to my running I've done a 20 mile bike ride and an 8 mile fell walk - tonight I'm drinking Glasgow dry - tomorrow and Friday should be a bit easier before I hit Blackpool for the weekend! image

• Options
    Tommy2DTommy2D ✭✭✭

How's the head Skinny?

• Options
    macemace ✭✭✭

Skinny, how are your groin issues holding up ? You seem to be doing ok with the mileage and getting some quality in. Quality drinking as well image

And the thread is ticking along nicely image

• Options

Tsk. Drinking while engaged in a serious training programme. I would never do that.

• Options

image actually not too bad - didn't go completely mad.

Hi Mace - welcome back, wasn't sure if you were still out there or not. The groin strain has cleared up but has left some residual stiffness that I don't seem able to shift but that does not seem to affect my running.

In Glasgow for rest of today and bit worried about what time going to get home at as i have a quality session to do tonight.

cheers

• Options
    Tommy2DTommy2D ✭✭✭

Sure a battered Mars bar will sort you out Skinny. Also good for early carb loading.

• Options

Ooh yes, and a macaroni pie. Very important to carb load for a 10k.

• Options

just a massive bowl of porridge and a healthy apple carrot and ginger juice - sorry to disappoint.

Mace - how has your running been going?

• Options
    macemace ✭✭✭

Well that's good news, let's hope it's in the past image

I've been looking in now and then but not really much to contribute as i've been a bit accident prone past 6 or so weeks which has seen me a bit inconsistent with the training. Had a bicycle accident which left me with a wrist sprain and my very own groin strain ( seemingly the thread's favourite injury !! ), then had a problem with  the top of my foot ( i suspect shoe change related ) and just as i got through that lot i had a run in with a hand saw and managed to sever a tendon in my right hand. So i'm in a splint for another 3 weeks and ignoring my physio's advice not to run a HM this Sunday image

Other than that the running's been awesome, thanks image

• Options

OUCH! What's prognosis like for the hand?

Which HM are you doing and are you hoping for any sort of time or have the various injuries restricted your training too much?

• Options
    macemace ✭✭✭

Hand should be fine and back to full strength in about 12 weeks, thanks .... so long as i don't do anything silly image 

Kent Coastal Half. The original plan was sub 1:32 but i'll more than likely not run it all out and would be satisfied (ish) with 1:35.  'A' race is Folkestone half at end of Sept.

• Options

Mace, every time I even think about your hand/saw incident it makes me shudder in sympathy. What is your target for Folkestone?

• Options
    literatin wrote (see)

So, apparently me and Skinny both did the same session this week...

I presume it was the session I've just done in the dark round streets of Carlisle 3*1miles with 2 min recoveries at HMP, Tempo and 10k pace.

Can't imagine me running 10k at the pace I ran the last mile but I guess I'll find out next Wednesday.

Lit - I am away from tomorrow and I know you have your 10k on Sunday - very best luck with it - hope you get a good day weather wise and you are on top form - fingers crossed for a time starting with a 3! It may be Tuesday before I get a chance to comment on your time but am sure I will get a chance to read your race report if you post it on here.

Best wishes, Skinny

• Options
    Richard Hill 27 wrote (see)

If the offer of the lift is still on for next week, let me know and I will PM my mobile number

Thanks Richard

Richard _ I'll definitely give you a lift - if you PM me your number I'll be in touch on Wednesday.

Cheers, Skinny

• Options

Thanks Skinny - I have to go away for a couple of days too immediately after the race so might just have to keep you in suspense until Tuesday anyway.

• Options
    macemace ✭✭✭

lit - very kind of you but i don't deserve sympathy for a stupid mistake image I'd be delighted with a sub 1:32 at Folkestone which would be a 15min improvement on last year for the same race. I've got a 41:16 10k recently ( July) so with a few good weeks training who knows ....

good luck for Sunday - and your target ? image

Skinny - nice session, do you mix the paces up frequently ? I've noticed the alternating HMP/MP sessions. If i'm doing any quality stuff i tend to be one paced and the only time i really mixed it up was in mara training with progressive long runs.

• Options
    Skinny Fetish Fan wrote (see

I presume it was the session I've just done in the dark round streets of Carlisle 3*1miles with 2 min recoveries at HMP, Tempo and 10k pace.

Can't imagine me running 10k at the pace I ran the last mile but I guess I'll find out next Wednesday. 

Yeah... did you accidentally do tempo-10k-5k too? image

mace wrote (see)

good luck for Sunday - and your target ? image

Let's not talk about targets... though I will say that as it's the only flat 10k race I've ever done, I'll be pretty pissed off if I don't get a substantial PB.

• Options
    literatin wrote (see)
    Skinny Fetish Fan wrote (see

Yeah... did you accidentally do tempo-10k-5k too? image

Impressive!! I went Tempo, 10k, 10k but it was dark so as either tempo or 10k both feel flat out to me its pretty hard to hit tempo! (unless I'm trying for HMPimage).

EDIT: But there is no way I would have been hitting 5k pace on the third one - that's the kind of form I would like to be in.

• Options

Well, my 5k pace is probably the same as your 10k pace anyway. The one I really can't hit is HMP though, which is odd because it's the only one where I actually have run a race at that pace in real life.

• Options

I've PMd you my mobile number - not sure why you couldn't PM me but think you will be able to now I've PM'd you as both Lit and SG have sent me PMs recently

• Options
    Tommy2DTommy2D ✭✭✭

Have a good holiday Skinny.

If I don't see you on Sunday Lit, have a good race and hope you get the time you're after. My build up this week has typically been disrupted by work including the joys of working in Bradford till an unspecified time tomorrow.

• Options

Thanks Tommy - come and say hello if you do see me, to save me accosting random blue-t-shirted strangers and asking them if they're Tommy from the internet. I'll be wearing my club vest which more or less still has my name on it, and some day-glo yellow neon shoes. Hope you have a good race too!

• Options
    Tommy2DTommy2D ✭✭✭

Cheers Lit, will have to see how it goes. Will keep an eye out for you and the neon shoes. Got a feeling it's going to be pretty busy, just been on the website any the event is sold out, which could make it interesting on the narrow lanes.