Options

Paris Marathon 2013

Comments

• Options

Royston,

Sounds to me like your gp did the right thing. Not convenient to be sure, but it ws correct.  The absence of finding something wrong does not mean she was wrong.

• Options
    OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭
    Happy Birthday Emmy - enjoy your run
  • Options
    Dawn's crack. Tired legs and feel like I haven't had enough sleep. Must be time for a long run.
  • Options
    Happy birthday Emmy and good luck for today's race. And good running to everyone else doing an LSR today. Or an SSR. Or just SOTSWTR*

*sitting on the sofa watching the rugby.
  • Options
    Penblwydd Hapus Emmy, have a good run!

Fab day for me yesterday, lovely lunch with friends. Mr Maj bought me a fab Orla Kiely dress (in the sale!), we went to see the magnificent arsed James McAvoy being an exceptionally good Macbeth....this was my birthday present and a fine one it was too.

Must sort my medical certificate.
  • Options
    'OO'50 wrote (see)

Contact Garmin RR- they usually offer replacements for faulty ones at a reduced price. I got my 110 from Amazon, not sure if they are still available but they regularly have deals.

Cheers.  However the Garmin Forums tell many a sorry tale about their customer service experiences!  My 405CX has always worked perfectly straight out of the box and I have NEVER uploaded a revised firmware - that's where most peoples' problems begin.

I think the 'blip' was probably down to some horrible weather conditions at that point in the run combined with the watch being smothered by layers of soaking clothing. Having dried it out and carried out a hard reset all appears well again! We'll see, but I have hard GPS evidence to show I ran a 4 minute mile!

• Options

feeling a little on the tired side after that 19 mile jaunt round London. Dan Lewis is a naughty boy - he's a crazy bull! Trying to squeeze the pace up all the time. It was a little on the quick side. i suppose it doesn't hurt to do the odd long run at close to marathon pace. Next week slower (and must get more sleep the night before) - felling very "stoned"

• Options

Well done TJB!

Happy Birthday Emmy!

I'm about to venture out for my first long run on the Island - 24km. Not really looking forward to it, if I'm honest, but it just MUST be done.

I am fairly certain I'll get lost despite careful map examination. If I'm not back by 3, send a search party....

• Options
    Cheers Maus, by the way it rained the whole bloody run so pretty tough conditions especially coming back thru the muddy heath, took it out of my legs!
  • Options

I suspect I'm about to suffer a similar fate...weather's pretty gloomy, but at least it's not 35 degrees!

• Options
    Marathon Maus wrote (see)
    I am fairly certain I'll get lost despite careful map examination. If I'm not back by 3, send a search party....

Your new island is a bit smaller than the one you're used to, so you should be okay.  If all else fails find water and follow it to the coast then track it around.  Might end up longer than 24kms thoughimage

• Options

right, I am in planning mode.  legs etc are holding up nicely after 11 kms yesterday and 2*5 km runs during the week so I think I can start to hope.  So what's the consensus on this plan:

LSR: +4 kms each week to peak at approx 32ish kms

short run: 2* during week increasing from 5.5ish kms to 8ish

mid run: cross training which I'll reduce the time on and replace with kms as I go, to get to 8ish kms

Cross: 2 days at the moment, but reducing to 1 on day around LSR

Rest: 2 days

There's no cutback weeks...and my last LSR will be two weeks before Paris...BUT there will be absolutely no speed work, just getting kms on the legs and only 3 increasing to 4 runs per week...thoughts?

• Options

Well stuff that for a game of soldiers....soaked to the skin and couldn't feel my face after 5 minutes. When I realised I was in the running equivalent of an endless swimming pool because of the wind, I decided that today is just not my day.

As they say, "Be careful what you wish for". image

• Options
    Radar Sal wrote (see)
    Marathon Maus wrote (see)

Your new island is a bit smaller than the one you're used to, so you should be okay.  If all else fails find water and follow it to the coast then track it around.  Might end up longer than 24kms thoughimage

image Too true, RR, too true. That was my original plan, but the sea is sooo choppy. That should given me an inkling of what was to come. Yeah, yeah, I'm just a sook fresh off the boat...

I am rubbish at geography. I mean really really rubbish. This means I get lost all the time, even in places I know. Sometimes it's kinda fun. Mostly, it just gives Mr Maus something to laught at. Who's going to laugh at me now that Mr Maus is on a plane back to Australia?

And RR, your plan looks a bit like what I've got in mind - but when I count up, I get to 6 sessions in a week. Or has an extra day been added to the week?image Are you doing 2 sessions on one day?

• Options
    'OO'50 wrote (see)

Contact Garmin RR- they usually offer replacements for faulty ones at a reduced price. I got my 110 from Amazon, not sure if they are still available but they regularly have deals.

Congrats on the long runs folks. Even if it feels bad, they will get easier with time.

OO - I really hope you're right!

Radar Sal wrote (see)

right, I am in planning mode.  legs etc are holding up nicely after 11 kms yesterday and 2*5 km runs during the week so I think I can start to hope.  So what's the consensus on this plan:

mid run: cross training which I'll reduce the time on and replace with kms as I go, to get to 8ish kms

There's no cutback weeks...and my last LSR will be two weeks before Paris...BUT there will be absolutely no speed work, just getting kms on the legs and only 3 increasing to 4 runs per week...thoughts?

RS - sounds really sensible, no point in worrying about speed at this point. Although what do I know!

I'm run-walking it I fear, only way I'll get round...

• Options

Emmy - Happy birthday.

TJB - Good running, sounds like you're in good form.

Well my planned run fell to bits today. I managed about five minutes then had a coughing fit and threw up. Followed by a slow shakey walk back home. This is the worst training for anything ever. I've managed an entire two runs totalling 23 miles in the last three weeks!

• Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭

Eggy, have you been to the Doc'? This has gone on for quite a while, non?

• Options
    Not been to the doc. Think I'll try and get an appointment tomorrow.

I had a chest cold, then managed a couple of runs and came down with the flu. I'm feeling ok, but still have a bit of a cough. Guess what ever it is still isn't out my system.
  • Options
    OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭
    Hey Mausy - and it was only a matter of weeks ago that you were telling us about the 40 degree heat. So, how is the Isle of Maus?

Don't worry about Mr Maus laughing at you, all you have to do is tell him of any exploits and he'll have a good old guffaw image

RS - sounds like you've got a sensible plan but are you saying that you'll be doing 32k two weeks before Paris? Any chance you could peak a week earlier, somehow?

TJB - good running mate. You may be surprised at how much benefit you get doing your LSR at a slow pace.

My plan today was to do 10 miles. Weather was cold and rainy but great for running. Having trouble keeping my pace regular, a little fast to start, slowing down a bit at the end. It all balanced out though and my average pace was spot on image I was feeling so comfortable that I added a couple of extra miles too - and nothing fell off image
  • Options
    Good running TJB and Orbutt. Eggy - get yourself checked out. 8 weeks to go so still plenty of time.

Welcome to our weather MM.

Well, the book says 'don't run with a hangover' and with today's weather it is advice I'm happy to follow. Lashings of haggis and whisky was fun at the time. But not the day after..
  • Options
    Happy birthday Emmy

Good luck in your new home Maus

Easy 14 done today. Tried out an interesting new app on my phone - cruise control.

Now off to work
  • Options
    Eggy - agree it's time to get some medical advice. Apparently some of the nasty coughs that have been going round have actually been whooping cough - in adults you don't always get the actual 'whooping' sound, just coughing and feeling crap. Be sure you suggest that to your doctor, and that you got the idea from some random bird off the Internet with no medical qualificationsimage . In any case, hope you can get some help.

MM - sounds like the Isle of Maus is going to be a challenge. Think how easy Paris will be in comparison though.

Love the Garmin trace TJB - it just looks like you went mad and ran all over the place, possibly screaming and gibbering at the same time image .

17 miles in the icy rain today. For a change I did it with a group. The downside was that I probably ran it a bit faster than I should have, and my legs are telling me about it now. The upside was that we went to the pub afterwards and had steak, chips and sticky toffee pudding. Funny how healthy eating is a lot less appealing when you're cold, wet and your quads hurt image .
  • Options

Eggy - flu seemed to take ages to get out of my system.  I could feel fine but really struggled to run.

I managed a little over 10 miles today.  Out and back route along the canal.  When I turned round at halfway I was dissapointed to find I'd been running with the wind at my back meaning running into driving rain on the way back.

I'm not even considering Paris now.  If all goes to plan I may run slowly as far as Trocadero then pick up line 6 back to CDG.  If not, I'll just join TD and the Frontrunners for pom-pom waving duties.

• Options

Iain Moore 2 wrote (see)

Radar Sal wrote (see)

RS - sounds really sensible, no point in worrying about speed at this point. Although what do I know!

I'm run-walking it I fear, only way I'll get round...

Are you joining the Paris sight seeing tour?  We could do with a medical team.  Don't think you are focused on the right part though as not a head shrinker.  So far, I have Kaz, orbutt, weddy, eggy (sorry to include you mate but get yourself to a doctor!! and then toodle around with us...if you get well Otherwise there's TDs "supporters in tutus" crowd to hang with)...but as per usual with us...if anyone feels the need for speed we won't goose your ass and die.

Orbutt wrote (see)
    RS - sounds like you've got a sensible plan but are you saying that you'll be doing 32k two weeks before Paris? Any chance you could peak a week earlier, somehow?

My plan today was to do 10 miles. Weather was cold and rainy but great for running. Having trouble keeping my pace regular, a little fast to start, slowing down a bit at the end. It all balanced out though and my average pace was spot on image I was feeling so comfortable that I added a couple of extra miles too - and nothing fell off image

although based on this post I think we may evict orbutt, 10+miles?!?!  Mad manimage

I've tried to fit in an earlier peak (in more ways thana just Paris) but that'd mean increasing LSRs by 5-6kms per week (over 30 mins more running per week) so I've decided on the balance that it's best to build up slower and have less taper than build up faster (more injusry risk) and have more taper...if that makes sense.

• Options

oh yeah!  congrats to everyone that went out in it today!!  I was inside watching TV on thr turbo...then maybe went for a quite boozy sunday lunch. image

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Hello all!

Thank you so much for the birthday wishes! Running a marathon on your birthday isn't too bad when they all sing "happy birthday" to you as you cross the line!

Not had a good day at the office. The trials of food did not sit well with me (no further details will be provided on this thread!) and the added issue of the cold didn't help. It was -2 to start and really icy image but it turned into a lovely day and I even got a bunch of flowers and a beer at the end (beer came after flowers...image).

I'll write up a Real report tomorrow and respond to the other posts.

Well done to all of those that got out there today!!

@Eggy - your cough doesn't sound pleasant image hope you feel better soon!
  • Options
    OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭
    Emmy - sorry to hear you had a rough one. On the positive side, you finished despite everything. Well one.
  • Options

RS - That sounds like a plan!!image

MM - That run account sounds very familliar!!! It will get easier.......

Eggy - Get yourself to the doc.........and take it easy...........and B4 anyone says it I know pot and kettle!!!image

I managed to get out this afternoon, after finishing work early!!! 10.5k @ 6.02/km average........hard going in strong winds and hail showers but feeling good for it! A total of 25km for the week. cooled down?? with a 3 mile dog walk, Then home  to the best dinner ever- I must of been very hungry!!! Treated my self to 3/4 a large bottle of purple WKD, the other 1/4 went to oldest child. A wee reward for her maturity at not being allowed to dance last night, and for her attitude when she found out her step-sister tried to 'snog' her boyfriend last night.........mmmmmmmmmm..........

• Options
    G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

Just checked back in to see how everyone is getting on during these crucial mid-campaign runs. I've had an eventful 2 weeks on the injury bench, during which I could not bear to read anything about running as I thought Paris may be nothing more than a run/walk with the fancy dressers at the back.

While on a 20 miler the Saturday before last, my achilles seemed to go pop after 10 miles. Was near the mum-in-laws and she took me home in the car. Couldn't run a step.

Went to see a physio 3 days later who checked, massaged and reassured me that the achilles was OK and that other tendons were the problem. Turns out the 20 miler the week before in the snow/ice/slush and in off-roaders was too much due to the excessive work rate.

I did some walking and a couple of treadmill runs, one of which was a 7.5 miler taking the best part of an hour, so BORING! Then did a 4 mile road test on Thursday, all good.

Saw the physio again on Friday who flattened things out and gave me the OK to do a 15 mile flat LSR yesterday. To be safe, I did a 3 lap route near home and it went better than expected. So much so that I ended up doing a 17 miler at 7.42 pace. Over the moon and back in the game.image

Bullet dodged and lesons learned about stretching and taking it easy when conditions dictate. Find a good physio, you never know when you'll need one!

Good luck all

SB

• Options

RS - I'm in for the sight-seeing tour. I've done 24k today but it was dreadful and I'll be plodding along at the back (I hope) no matter what.

And Ireland lost. To England. image