Options

Paris Marathon 2013

Comments

• Options
    TrevOTrevO ✭✭✭
    Thanks DLR, far more to this running lark than I thought when I started. Provided Paris doesn't break me I will carry on learning for the next mara.
  • Options

Haircut done!!image

Now to start on lists..........

• Options
    TrevOTrevO ✭✭✭
    ATM - don't think I'll be able to lift my arms like that after 26miles!
  • Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭
  • Options

Weedy..   you are a star!    There are some superb graphics in the gallery this year...  happy memories.   Well done, and thank you.

• Options

Elizabeth - gel belt is en route.  In theory it's delivered in 2 days to be on the safe side as the alternative is 5 days and there's the impact of the bank holidays.

• Options

ATM - I'd like my photo in the gallery if you don't mind... The cheesy grin in my avatar photo is good to use if it's big enough.

• Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭

KS, can you email a jpeg to me? 

• Options
    Orbutt wrote (see)
    Dirty Leeds Rob wrote (see)

so happy to fit in with spectating and leering at sweaty lycra clad lovelies.  Possibly a poke after.

I wasn't going to wear my lycra but for you, I may make an exception image

It's more the poke I'm worried about...image

• Options

Very excited now. This time in one week, I will have my race number. Then I might feel less panicky.

Haircut done (not necessarily a go faster haircut but I look less like one of the BeeGees).

The packing pile has officially started.

Last bit of new kit arrived today! Hurray! Was starting to sweat a bit as wasn't sure I'd be able to test it on a 'proper' run. Love my single bottle Amphipod. I'm going to doubly love my two-bottle amphipod http://www.runningwarehouse.com/descpage-AFT.html...

And after realising that I had too much urgent work to do to take a day's leave today, I managed to avert legislative drafting crisis and get out of work at lunch.

Have had a little carbohydrate binge today - scones are my current weakness. I'm not going anywhere near hot cross buns, as once I start, I will NOT be able to stop.

Tomorrow's plans involve consulting high quality literature such as 'Cosmopolitan' and assessing whether I need to cut my toenails again...it's a tough call. How short is too short?

Happy Maus.

• Options

Cheers DV, I've just been messing about really. If anyone's a star round here, it's ATM. The unseen help she gives anyone and everyone at the drop of a hat is inspiring. We don't notice half the time as she's beavering away behind the scenes on email, but she must spend hours making sure we're all sorted. Thanks ATM, it's greatly appreciated image

And apologies to anyone who I haven't got round to doing a cover for. It's nothing personal - so many runners, so little time, and often a lack of a decent quality picture to work from (jimbob's was v borderline quality). If you'd like one doing (no charge), just dig out a high resolution image and message me.

• Options
    Weedy Gonzalez wrote (see)

Cheers DV, I've just been messing about really. If anyone's a star round here, it's ATM. The unseen help she gives anyone and everyone at the drop of a hat is inspiring. We don't notice half the time as she's beavering away behind the scenes on email, but she must spend hours making sure we're all sorted. Thanks ATM, it's greatly appreciated image

And apologies to anyone who I haven't got round to doing a cover for. It's nothing personal - so many runners, so little time, and often a lack of a decent quality picture to work from (jimbob's was v borderline quality). If you'd like one doing (no charge), just dig out a high resolution image and message me.

Here here Weedy!

But the hilarity and group jokes that your covers aren't to be underestimated either!

Awww. Group hug.

• Options
    ClagClag ✭✭✭
    PC91 - your thinking is the same as mine. My club coach reckons I should be aiming for 3:45 off my recent race times. However, I'm thinking I'll be doing great if I can go sub 4. I did contemplate changing pens but like you figure I'd be better potentially starting a wee bit slower and then maybe having a stronger finish. I do like it if I can start to pick people off when the going gets tough. Time will tell ...

Getting quite excited now. That's me on hols now so I'll hopefully be hanging around here a bit more. Looking forward to it image
  • Options
    Clag - out of curiosity, what are your recent race times that your club coach is basing their prediction on?

ATM - the mysterious power behind the thread image . One day she'll appear at the front of the race, playing her penny whistle, and we'll all follow her into the mountain, never to be seen again...

Strange day at work today. We're being restructured, so technically when I go back on Tuesday I'll be working for an entirely different organisation.
  • Options

Ditto on the here here Weedy; so true ... have booked my train from Geneva and a hotel so I guess I'm onboard!  Thank you all so much for your encouragement; will give it a go and see what happens.  If all else fails, pub at St Michel in the evening image

• Options
    Dirty Leeds Rob wrote (see)

Elizabeth - gel belt is en route.  In theory it's delivered in 2 days to be on the safe side as the alternative is 5 days and there's the impact of the bank holidays.

You are a star DLR - thanks!

• Options

Hey everyone,

Long time since I posted but I'm still on for the race. I've been in and out of injury since new year so I am hideously under trained but as the flights, accomodation and race entry are paid for, I might as well give it a go. I have absolutly no idea what will happen though!!

4 weeks ago I was certian I was going to pull out but I've had 3 weeks of reasonable training so I'll just have to take it steady and not get too hung up on my time!! My accomodation is at the half marathon mark so I know I can at least get there!!!

I haven't had a chance to catch up on the thread so I hope everyone is on top form ad raring to go image

• Options
    I think my heel pain might be the dreaded plantar fasciitis.Need to get it checked out.

Ward 6 - can I borrow your accommodation keys? Just in case.....
  • Options

PC91 - I'll look for you at Pasta Night so your wife can have someone to parlez with. 

Maus/Orbutt - Not sure understand the "no booze before paris" rule?  I thought that's what tapering was all about?  These are the weeks I make up for lost beverages.

IM2  - I got 90% of the way through MCM sign-ups several times as well before being forced to start over.  Add to that, I had to sign up me AND the missus.    This will be my 3rd MCM.   It wa s my first ever Marathon back in 2000. 

TJB - I find it amazing that people sign up for text splits and then carry their phones while running.  What will they think of next. 

Onetit - One of my fav Bob Marleys to run to is "I'm a Rainbow too" - there is a remix version (Fatboy Slim, I think) which is ace. 

DLR/Maus - I've decided to go 'No Belt' this time, but rather using a neoporene camera case which I put 2 fingers through the belt loop and it straps to my hand nicely.   I used it in my last semi and liked it a lot.   It holds my asthma inhaler, 2 gels and 2 rehydration satchets, and a small bit of tissue, just in case nature calls.  http://www.ebay.com/itm/300850221049

As for playlists, I have 2, one I use for LSRs and one I use for tempo runs.   A couple times I've done LSRs to my tempo (aka louder/faster/more agressive) playlist and found I ran slightly faster and felt better.   So I think I'll make a mix of the two for the race.   Some chill stuff to keep me slow and steady at the start, some harder hitting stuff for inspiration in the second half. 

-Rick

• Options

Hi all

I'am just looking for a bit of re assurance please, off to the Paris mararthon nxt week am i right in thinking that to get my bib number at the expo all i need to take is my medical certificate, some ID and my registration comformation ? 

Got a bit worried by the word convocation earlier in this tread image

Thanks to anyone who can respond

Paula

• Options
    ClagClag ✭✭✭
    Running Rodent - I did 1:42:27 for a half & 1:16:43 for 10 miles. He's going on the basis of half x2 plus 15 mins. Not convinced I've got the endurance for that though.
  • Options
    PC -PC - ✭✭✭
    Hi Paula, welcome to the thread. Convocation confused everyone (except ATM) , hopefully you received an email today which is the true confirmation. If not, don't worry, go to the ASO site log on to your profile and you'll see the famous convocation (confirmation) . Print off 2 copies just in case. Good luck.

If you want to tell us about yourself or have any other questions. See you in Paris

ATM - how did I do?
  • Options
    Paula - you need your medical certificate, ID (passport?) and convocation. The convocation should have been emailed to you today, but if not, log into ASO Challenges and print it from there. (ATM must be in bed or she would have sent you the detailed version of how to do this!)
  • Options
    Beat me to it PC...
  • Options
    Clag - those times should certainly have you well under 4 hours, if you've been able to put in the long runs, but you'll know yourself if that's the case.

Paula - did you get an email today from ASO which was called 'Votre convocation au Marathon de Paris'? There should have been a file attached to that which is a sort of one-page certificate with your name, details and race number on it. That's your convocation. Take that, your medical certificate, and your passport to the Expo. If you didn't get the email, it's also available on the ASO website (where you signed up in the first place) - log in to your own record and look for the word 'convocation' - you have to click through a few screens but it's there somewhere.

Simon - it is possible to run a marathon with pf but I wouldn't recommend it. Stretch, roll and massage your calves like a mad stretching rollering massaging thing to get rid of any knots and that may help.
  • Options
    I have a vision of poor Paula deluged under a pile of replies - welcome to the thread Paula image .
  • Options
    Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

One run done, painfully slow. image

One website finished and ready to be uploaded. image

• Options
    RR - it is more of a niggle than a real a pain at the moment. Running a marathon won't help, I know. But I can't (won't) pull out now.... I'll try and see a sports physio early next week. Going skiing tomorrow to take my mind off it.
  • Options
    DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭

Gentle 6 miles, lovely.

Got me thinking about a haircut now. Should probably get one.

Is it crazy to run with a GoPro camera strapped to my head?