Options

Paris Marathon 2013

Comments

• Options

Ah, Sunderland. Marvellous.

• Options

Hmmm.The expressway and clyde street....still, it beats govanhill. 

• Options

I'm having a clear-out of things I find neither useful nor beautiful to look at.

Anyone want an armband (minus the headphones)? Free to a good home, message me your address, first-come, first served.

/members/images/727962/Gallery/Armband.jpg

• Options
    Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭
    helterskelter wrote (see)

Hmmm.The expressway and clyde street....still, it beats govanhill. 

They've somehow managed to ditch the part of the route with the most support on it, for parts of the city that until you hit the city centre will have no support what so ever!

Although they have got rid of the deceptive finish line is just around the corner ending at Glasgow Green.

• Options
    OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

Eggy - I've always run in Brooks Adrenaline, which has a heel drop of 12.8 (apparently)

One possible cause of my problem is that two of my pairs have just about worn out and I've just started with a new pair. The annoying thing is that it is only the heel on one shoe that wears out (before you ask, yes the same foot as the problem calf) so I'm regularly ditching perfectly good left feet.

New pair of Adrenaline on order but I see a trip to a shoe shop in my future.

• Options
    Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

Orbutt - Is it always the same model of shoe though? Brooks Adrenaline [insert number here]. I rarely stick to the same shoe year after year, as I tend to find the yearly adjustments the manufactures make can make the shoes I liked one year feel a bit off the following year.

I always head down to the local running shop and try as many shoes as possible and see which ones feel right. I have been told by a couple of people in the shop I have a stride that means I'm unlikely to injure myself through running. Not sure how true that actually is though, but until I picked up that bloody groin injury I'd had very little injury issues in years of running. In fact one injury, a calf strain and I did that playing football! The groin injury is my first actual running related injury!

• Options

This is fast becoming a running thread....

Orbutt - I have been loyal to the Brooks Adrenaline GTs for years, from the 8 right up to my current 12s. No problems at all until I switched to the 12s. Probably just a coincidence, but who knows? My favourites were the 8s from 5 years ago!

• Options
    TrevOTrevO ✭✭✭

Hey all, back from a 5mile lunch time run which was meant to be tempo but after 3.5miles I was finding it hard work so backed off a little.

Getting back to some good mileage though and realised that last week was my highest week since Paris, just in time to start a 10week half mara plan for the Great West Run.

Also bought a road bike to start cycling to work on as a bit of cross training. Just waiting for a new helmet to be delivered so hopefully Wednesday will be my first outing.

• Options
    DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭

Orbutt - I understand the toe thing.  I tried a few zero drop shoes,  but only ever found one that comes even close to my Vibrams (which I run in 95% of the time) - and that's the Mizuno Evo Levitas.  They also make the Evo Cursoris which is the same as the Levitas but with a tad of cusioning 

http://www.mizunousa.com/running/products/mizuno-mens-wave-evo-cursoris

WIll it help with flat feet?  Yes. By transitioning to a zero drop, no support shoe (and the no support is critical here), you will finally use the small muscles and ligaments that hold all those foot bones together, and as they strengthen they will actually lift your arch back into a normal position.  Support shoes dont allow you to do this.  What proof do I have?  Two things: a). in societies that don't put shoes on their kids feet early (ie. most of the "third" world) the incidence of flat feet in children and adults is virtually zero compared with a fairly high rate in Western Society, and b.) most minimalist runners, including myself, report that their own arches have lifted and their wet footprint in different after a year or more of minimalist running.

I know it would be a big commitment - aside from the cost of the shoe, it does mean, in essence, starting again as you have to go very short distances and build up slowly. But in the long run, pun intended, it may be the best way forward given the ongoing issues you have had. I would not do it if you intend to run Berlin. 

• Options

I totally agree with Danni.

My Hoka's are 4mm drop but with lots of cushioning.  They are designed for ultra runners and people with a history of injury - that's me!   I no longer use orthotics, after 7 years of suffering with them.  No more injuries since I threw away the orthotics and moved to these shoes.

Too many people have the same stories to tell of minimalist running for it to be pure coincidence.

Minimalist running encourages good technique...    but you need to make the transition gradually.   Don't just put on a pair and then go for an hour's run....

• Options
    MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Survived another TR24. Managed 7 laps of 10K in just over 9hrs total - very pleased. 

I have to say it makes me wonder how on Earth DV manages to run way beyond these kind of distances. I can however, see the attraction of running long, absolutely loved it. No way I could have run it in one go though - I needed those breaks in between.

Weather was great up until it got dark and then it poured for about 7 or 8 hours. Made the course a bit 'bambi on ice'. Still fantastic though.

The camaraderie is fabulous. I can highly recommend this event. 

Hi to all the new guys! (forgot to say that in my last post...I think) image

• Options
    Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

Malcs - Well done. Although I have to admit I'm thinking of dropping down the distances rather than going up the way.

• Options

Just bn to the doc about my dodgy back......and how the hell I ran 16 miles yesterday with a bloody chest infection I will never know.....image More bloody antibiotics! But now I am off for my weekly cycle-run-cycle........kill or cure! image

• Options

Malcs -cracking effort. Did you get real thunder for your Thunder Run?

Kaz - don't make us come up there and sit on you. You know what we're going to say...

With apologies for continuing the running theme, here's my story. I started wearing orthotics about 3 years ago after recurring hip problems, and discovering I had one leg substantially shorter than the other. In effect, it's a heel raise in the right shoe. No hip problems since. Last summer I switched to much lighter shoes - Adidas Adios 2's, which are not quite racing flats - from memory, I think about 7 or 8mm drop. I've got on with them very well - now on my 4th pair. 

At the same time as changing the shoes I did some work on my gait, which is still a work in progress, but has enabled me to knock about half an hour off my marathon time. 

However, I've recently had a few lower leg problems, and the physio I'm seeing reckons it's due to lack of leg strength. I have fallen firmly into the camp of 'I run long distances therefore I have strong legs', which is patently not true when he puts me through his exercises. Today's batch include one routine that is straight from the Ministry of Silly Walks, and another one that has me sidling about like a crab with an elastic band around both ankles. Possibly he's taking the piss.

So, in summary, what appears to work for me is a combination of orthotics, lighter shoes, more even gait and leg strengthening. With a bit of stretching and rollering on the side. But, as I say, work in progress.

• Options

Events list amended...

Malcs - great run there!

kaz1 wrote (see)

Just bn to the doc about my dodgy back......and how the hell I ran 16 miles yesterday with a bloody chest infection I will never know.....image More bloody antibiotics! But now I am off for my weekly cycle-run-cycle........kill or cure! image

Kaz - didn't you mean to say "But now I am off to take it easy and recover from my chest infection by resting and not going out cycling and running and then cycling."?

• Options
    yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

Kaz.  FFS.  Really.

RR - I think I need to seriously get a grip of myself and start doing some strength stuff...preferably *before* I start marathon training again!  Any recommendations for exercises or are they all given to you buy your piss taking fizz?

• Options

FFS really...........nobody turned upto run so it just became a 20k cycleimage

• Options

YM - it's mostly calf raises, walking lunges, and if you google 'side step with theraband' you'll get the crab one (can't post link).

• Options

Well done Malcs. Just worked out that you ran 70k. That's impressive, with or without breaks!

Kaz - BEHAVE.

• Options
    Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

Kaz - Bloody hell, rest up.

RR - That's interesting. I know I run marathons and have no leg strength. Trying to cycle up hills on a bike has taught me that much! image

• Options
    MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Thanks people. 

RR - yes, there was indeed thunder and of course lightening too! image

Sam Murphy posted a good pdf on strength training for runners during the 26.2 comp. I'm trying to find the link to it.

• Options
    Radar SalRadar Sal ✭✭✭

Kaz, kaz, kaz - you are an original.  I should have put a disabler on bluie so could keep you on the saneish side with the rest of usimage look after yourself woman! We want a fully fit kaz for Berlin.

• Options

kaz-- ease up a little.  you're making the rest of us look bad.

Wohlf -- good to hear that you are running again.

Malcs -- wow.  well done.

Weedy -- add the "Run with All Your Hart" 4 miler on August 10 for me on the list.  I can't possibly run it well, but it's for a good cause.

As for me, there have been 4 consecutive days with high temps under 80F, which is a minor miracle in Kentucky in July.  so, I have actually had some pleasant runs of 5-6 miles each of the last few days.  If only it would last a little longer.

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Weedy - What size is your case? Can I trade you some dog kisses or nips?

Kaz - Rest womman!

Lawyeraaron - Good to hear about your runs!

yer_maj - I have some strength exercises from youtube. Let me try and find the link to them and i'll repost it.

In case anyone is interested- this is one of my posts from ITLR about "life afterwards" http://inthelongrun2013.org/2013/07/29/itlr-the-aftermath/

Life with Boyska is never dull! He's an active little bugger but such a sweetie. After going to the gym for my core work we managed 4 miles together tonight and he's currently snoring by my feet. Mr. Emmy does not appreciate me feeding his dinner to the dog and giving him a 'poor' substitute (dog got salmon...  he got quorn ;0))

• Options

Emmy - It's big enough for a phone or a big Ipod. I'll maybe give the dog kisses a miss tho image

Aaron - on the list. You've mentioned the Hart Run before. You do another one of those earlier this year?

• Options
    OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

Dannir/DV - how long would you reckon it would take to transition from 12.8mm to zero?

i was just looking at the innov8 site and they reckon that each 3mm drop would take about 16 weeks of transition - so that would be nearly year to go to zero.

or are they just trying to sell more shoes?

• Options
    DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭

Orbutt:  it takes a long time.  No way around it.  As crazy as it might seem, your first week or so should be no longer than 1 mile, building up to about 3 mile runs by a month or so.  And expect your calves (both of them) to hurt as they stretch out - and that can last 6 months.  Religious achilles stretching after runs helps reduce that a lot.  I dont think a step wise approach is helpful ie. shoes getting less and less drop.  If you want to go to zero drop, just go all the way and slowly build up your running.  It will be frustrating as you are accustomed to running longer - but that's a sure way to injure yourself in zero drop shoes.

I think you can plan on a good 6 months to work your way back to marathon training. So, Paris is quite likely.

• Options

Guessing the crab one is to get the glute medes firing?

at some stage I'm going to get myself some vivobarefoot shoes but for now I'm a +1 for the adios

• Options

Hahaha RS.......I intend on being fully fit for Berlin!! 

This morning saw the start of a wee outdoor class I am doing, 4 turned up in torrential rain, it was good but maybe no so good for my health!!image

+1 for strenghtening exercises.

I looked at trainers with a lower drop when In Paris, but was totally confused as to how to change, as well as being concerned about doing it! I was going to try and change gradually but I think I may need to leave it until I have nothing planned......image

• Options
    MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Finally found that strength circuit Sam Murphy put together but I'd need to upload it myself as the link is old and is no longer live. Will upload later if anyone is interested.