Options

Great North Run 2013

Comments

• Options

Lol, XL - had to go back and check what you were on about re 'filling the loo and then spotted the typo image.

Thanks for the 'welcome backs'. 

Maybe I should get a Jedward mug and try smashing it next time to see if I get a PB. Not sure I could bring myself to do it though, they are quite cute image

• Options

Good to hear from you again R2G.

Forgot to say but after all you lot had said about the straps on the Garmins (I have had mine on my 610 come off once before when pin came out in training) it happened again on Sunday 60 yds from finish line luckily no one right behind me so could turn round and pick up. - it was so funny as you heard the OOHS come out from the crowds lining the finish when it happened. Luckily I always wear 2 Garmins (the other a 110) as I have had a Garmin freeze before so I still have history of race to uplaod onto Garmin Connect - my 610 rebooted and lost all history of race. Now my only problem is that site is down for maintenance so I cannot upload it yet.

Just looked at my splits on the results website I am even more happy with my race - my last 10K was only a minute slower than my first 10K and my second 1/2's were 1:53 and then 1:54. Can't wait to see the detail from the Garmin but looks as though I ran a very even race which I have never done for a Marathon before usually fade towards end.

Hope by now Shielsy you are getting out of your system and feeling better

• Options

michelle J - haha, just an eager beaver week 7 of training is all, a 1yr old (and a 7yr old) so not done anything b4 her for a good 2yrs image loving the training at the min tho... excitin stuff. image

Ounds good Bear - love my garmin 110 but am yet 2 upload anything 2c splits , not too sre how all works. 

• Options

Waves furiously to Raring to Go  Hellooooooooo image

• Options

Anyone done the Great North 10k? Any good?

• Options

Muckers - Did it last year it is good as long as you don't mind the last 1K being totally up hill from river to Gateshead Stadium

• Options

I did the Sunderland 10k on sunday with zero training (Absolute laziness on my part!) and i completed it with a time of 1 hour and 34 seconds which is certainly nothing special.

• Options

Thanks Bear, think I might just have a go as part of build up to GNR, last 1k uphill probably good for getting me mentally geared up for John Reid Road again! 

But how did you feel after Karl? Endorphins must have made you feel pretty good!?!

• Options

It's such an amazing feeling when you cross the line, a great sense of achievement. I was thinking about doing something crazy and registering for the GNR. That would mean i have 4 months to train. Not sure if i'll manage

• Options

Karl - you would have to do via charity as race is a ballot and is full now

• Options

Karl - it all depends on your goals for the race, I'm sure 4 months will be plenty of time for training. Have a look at the training plans on this website - most of them are over 12 weeks. Good luck.

Hi BP - how are the legs?? Sounds like you had a great race. Are you home now? I hope Manchester treated you well.

• Options

I would do it for cancer research anyway in memory of my grandad. I won't just ber doing it for selfish reasons then :P I looked on the cancer research site and you sign up to GNR through them, i noticed it said i have to raise £400. Does that mean if i am unable to reach this target i won't be able to race, even if i have paid to do so?

• Options

Karl - you would need to ask the charity what would happen if you couldn't raise what you had pledged.  Often I think they ask you to make up the difference.  £400 is not too bad, I've just done that and a bit more for the London marathon.  Most of the charities for London ask for £1500 plus.  If you felt that wasn't achievable then look at other charities who may well ask for a lot less.

• Options

You would have to speak to them, karl, but I think you would have to make up the money to the required amount if you dont raise enough from sponsorship. It would all depend on how strict they are. £400 is quite acieveable compared to the thousands that they want to run VLM, especially if you work for a big company who may offer to sponsor you too. Cancer research will give you loads of hints and tips for different ways of raising the money too.

• Options

Cross posts - Hi Fiona!

• Options

Mandie - Manchester treated me very well (as it has always done when I have been running up there) - Hard Rock certainly treated me well with a bottle of Spanish Red Wine a New York Strip Steak and a Apple Cobbler Pudding and a great waiter, that was the way to finish the day off. As for my legs - they are still attached to me and to be fair apart from a little discomfort in the Quads they are fine. Yes I am home (got home yesterday) and am back at work now. Looking forward to running the Bristol 10K wioth my daughter Laura on Sunday - wouldnt say it to her but the pace we will be running will be slower than I ran in the last 10K of the Marathon - but the whole idea is to get her round her first race in preparation for her doing GNR this year

• Options

Bear - you better hope she doesn't read this then. You might be glad of the excuse to run slower or maybe not ...

Hi Mandie ~waves~

• Options

Fiona - believe you me I want to run slower - and luckily she does not use Runnersworld so no hope her reading this. I am really looking forward to running a 10K slowly and also the GNR - it will be great to take everything in properly in September

• Options

Afternoon.

RE running for a charity: I've always got my number through the ballot or bond place, but I'm guessing that most charities will make you agree to make up the difference personally if you can't raise the full sponsorship ... otherwise there'd potentially be people getting a number with no intentions of raising the money who just want to take part in the event.

Also, I don't get how taking part in big running events but not doing it for charity means that it's for 'selfish reasons'; I can't think of another amateur sport where the expectation is to raise money for charity while you're at it.  It's fantastic that so much money is raised for charities, but I don't like the implication that you're being 'selfish' if you don't.  Sorry, just a bugbear of mine.

BP - enjoy your 10k with your daughter on Sunday.  And how awful that you nearly lost your Garmin on Sunday image

• Options

Shielsy - how are you feeling today?

• Options

Hi Fiona

I'm feeling much better, no dodgy stomach, no nausea etc.  Of course, I feel as weak as a  kitten but I'm just happy I'm not walking around the house with a bowl 'just in case'.  My legs feel a lot better too.  

You?

• Options

Actually feeling not bad at all.  My legs are pretty much back to normal and I'm contemplating running tomorrow or maybe Thursday.

• Options

Fiona - would that be another Marathon 'LOL'.

Good to hear you feeling better Shielsy

• Options

Good to see you're feeling better, Shielsy.

also that you're recovering from your heroics, Fiona. are you going to be on the moor on Saturday.

Going out into the sunshine for a bimble later. Looking lovely at the moment.

• Options

Hi folks,

Legs are less sore than yesterday but I feel knackered! Par for the course eh, Shielsy after Sunday image. Glad you're feeling better. Was going to swim tonight but have just opted out in favour of a quiet evening.

• Options

Nice 6 Mile walk tonight to stretch those legs out - feel better now

• Options

I'm going for a recovery run in a bit to catch up with a friend who smashed her half mara PB at Stratford on Sunday. She's been trying for ages and it's gone down by about 20 minutes! image

• Options

XL - yep I'll be there. Wouldn't miss it. Only21 runs to go till I reach 50. It doesn't seem to be getting much closer.

RtG - glad you're legs are feeling better. That was a great PB By the way.

Vixx - that's a great PB especially if you've been struggling with it for ages.

Bear - that's a fairly long walk.

• Options

I remember it feeling like the 30s lasted ages, Fiona, but then I rattled through the 40s.
    Missing the whole of February slowed me down though. Pengwyn will be doing her 50th parkrun on Saturday image 

That sounds like a very pleasant way to stretch the legs, BP

Enjoy your trot, Vixx