Options

Great North Run 2013

Comments

• Options

Good morning, everypeople

Off to parkrun; sun is shining for Pengwyn's 50th run on the moor.
    Woohoo image

• Options

Have a great parkrun Pengwyn!!! (and everyone else)

• Options

Sadly the sun didn't really stay shining but still a good run.

• Options

Hold the front page:  I did a parkrun  image !

I thought I was almost obligated to show my face at the new parkrun at South Shields as it's my 'local' one.  Got there just as it was starting, so no time to really to worry about it, or warm up.

Hadn't intended to race it, but of course once I started all plans of taking it easy flew out the window, lol.

The course isn't nice and flat like the Town Moor parkrun, as you climb onto the Leas and then it's all 'uppy downy', but it is fairly scenic and then the final mile is pretty much the final mile of the Great North Run, but we were running into the wind, which is always a pain (especially if you had 4 hours of it last weekend image).

Managed to overtake 2 blokes in the final stretch, one of whom tried to put a sprint on to catch me, and I did worry that I'd gone for it too early, but I managed to keep him off.

Watch time said 24:34, no idea of my official time.  It's not my 5k pb but I suppose I'm a bit pleased.  I know there was one female ahead of me, but I'm not sure if I was 2nd lady or not.

Hope Pengwyn had a very enjoyable 50th Parkrun.  You Newcastle lot are very welcome South of the Tyne if you fancy a change of scenery.

• Options
    Bob ParrBob Parr ✭✭✭

XL - Hope you and Pengwyn had a good parkrun.  I have noticed a mathematical symmetry to your RW and facebook avatars, was that deliberate?

Fiona - Do you get autograph hunters hounding you on the Moor now that you are a Guinness Record holder?

Shielsy - Excellent run for a parkrun that is more undulating than the Moor.  Are you going to change your "home" parkrun to the one in South Shields?

OS - Hope you had a successful second birthday at parkrun!  Were you running or volunteering?  I've now run 13 times and volunteered on 39 occasions (some of those were pacing or tail running and helping with the setup before running) as I quite like giving something back and I enjoy the social side of things.

I did my first run in over a month today.  It was a pilgrimage to the cradle of parkrun.  As our parkrun had to be cancelled due to another event happening in the park a group of us, three of the management team and four others, decided we would go and see how it is done at Bushy Park parkrun.  A couple of the group were after 5K PBs as the Bushy course is pretty well flat and two of the ladies managed it, but the others struggled.  I was just plodding round at a comfortable pace (9:05 minutes per mile), taking some pictures, as I've got a 5 mile race tomorrow.  It was interesting to see the "double" finishing funnel and see how many barcode scanner they have in operation.  They are really strict with funnel duckers, as the two people not far behind me left the funnel and one was persuaded to rejoin the queue for a token whilst a funnel manager took the place of another person. Otherwise it all seemed to go quite smoothly and they ONLY had 900 runners today! image

Hope everyone else running and racing for the rest of the Bank Holiday has a successful run and has fun!

• Options

Woohoo, Shielsy. Well done you. When are we going to see you back on the moor?

We had a great run this morning, despite strong winds. Record turnout of 501 !!
    I'll let Pengwyn come and tell you herself about her run. I was pleased to duck under 21:30 again (by one second), especially in the wind. I reckon today's was a much stronger run than the 21:12 I did in much better conditions a fortnight ago.

Yes, Bob. It was deliberate. When I first checked in to fb I had a lot of RW friends who probably weren't sure of my real name, so I kept the avatar. I don't think I'll ever change it to be honest. I tried once to update my name on here too, as XL has been out of date for quite some time. Next April I should by rights be L-man, but I've been told in no uncertain terms I can't alter it image  Sounds like you had a good day at Bushy. All the best for yoru run tomorrow.

I hope you had an enjoyable 2nd birthday party today, OS. Where does the time go ?

• Options
    Roy Runner wrote (see)

Good morning everyone - it's STAR WARS day

MAY the FOURTH be with youimage

Just off to parkrun

Roy- that's almost inexcusableimage.  I shall put it on my FB page!

We had a record breaking 171 runners at our second birthday many in fancy dress- I don't know how you manage with such huge numbers, although our course couldn't really cope with many more. The fancy dress was won by a couple "riding" ostriches!  I was selfish today and ran it as its the last time I can run it as part of our club championships due to other commitments in May so i wanted to set a better time than last week.  Which I did, so I'm pleased.  Bushy Park sounds mad- we are going down to the Bristol parkrun next week to help one of our original photographers celebrate his 50th parkrun.

Well done Bob, XL and Shielsy for getting out and running too.  You'll need to give me the low down on the best Newcastle parkrun as we are up there on hols in August!

• Options

OS - clearly the best parkrun is the Newcastle one! However, if you prefer scenic then Whitley bay or South Shields is probably a better option.

• Options

I think Shielsy has done a few of the local runs, so she'll give you a good bit of course info, OS. Then your decision will be an informed one when you decide that Fiona is right and that Newcastle is the best North-East parkrun image

• Options
    Graham LGraham L ✭✭✭

It's great to see Newcastle parkrun getting over 500 runners but it's congested with 400, especially through the first gate. Not ideal if you're going for a good time but aren't a front-runner. 

• Options

Hi Graham,

it was a bit crowded to say the least, and for the second week running I had someone behind me trying to push me forwards. I clearly need to have the power to make runners in front of me evaporate to appease these people behind. I finished 97th this morning, in 21:29 !

• Options

Bob - what does the cradle of parkrun mean?  Was Bushy Park parkrun where it all began or something?  Well done on getting a run after all your stirling volunteering efforts.

XL - great running, as ever.  You've just blossomed with the advent of parkruns, haven't you? (can men 'blossom'?)

I never usually make the effort to do a parkrun, reasons being: a) I love my bed b) I often am working on a Saturday c) we are car-less at the moment, and even when we had a functioning car my OH would often use it for work and getting to a parkrun via public transport at can be a bit of a pain.

However, I really enjoyed today.  The sun helped, but South Shields is a lot easier to get to via public transport than the Town Moor is. And I enjoyed the long walk back into the Town Centre at 9.45am on a Saturday morning ... seeing the fair and bars deserted is quite novel.  I was in work in Newcastle this afternoon, so fitting in parkrun this morning was great.

But, I love running in different places over different terrains and want to do all the regional parkruns - I'd get bored doing the same one week in, week out.  I've now done Newcastle, Sunderland and South Shields, but I really want to do the Chester Le Street one too.  And I almost did Whitley Bay last year but got there too late, so  as soon as we have wheels again I want to run one there too.

And York!  (if parkrun has founds its way to York yet ... which I assume it has)  Will someone please win the lottery and buy me a car?  A little one will do, I'm not fussed!

Now off to a baby shower *said in an American accent*  My niece No 2 is about to provide me with my great-niece/nephew No 6.

• Options

Thanks, Shielsy. I don't mind using 'blossoming' to describe my running. I think re-invigorating may be true also. After North Tyneside in 2010 I really did think I might have to accept that PBs were behind me. In June that year I finally gave in to Madmax's suggestions that I give parkun a go, and I haven't looked back. I really must get myself to a new venue though. 78th run for me this morning, but they've all been on the moor.

Bushy was the start of the whole thing (Oct, 2004) and is still the biggest by far. They had exactly 1,000 for the first run of 2012, then beat that total twice in January 2013.

Enjoy the baby shower

• Options

XL - you may as well do 100 Toon runs before you venture elsewhere!

• Options

lol - I had that same thought when I was on about 47, CC2. It was around then that Whitley Bay started, and I said I would get to the coast once I'd bagged my 50th.

• Options

Looking at the map, I think the Newcastle one is the closest to where we are staying so I'll need to see who's around on the day we are there.  Too far off to think about at the moment- Thunder Run comes first!

• Options

Well that's Bristol 10K done with my daughter Laura. So proud of her she wanted to do sub 55mins for her first 10K and did 54:34 and to be fair had she done a race before she would have gone sub 54 as she slowed down at end not knowing her own ability - she sprinted the last 100m no problem. It was so nice to be able to go round a 10K at that pace and take everything in. Next step for Laura now is the training for GNR but now she has confidence to doit

• Options

Well done to your daughter, BP.  Glad to hear you had a good day.

• Options

Fantastic Bearsted! Well done to your daughter!

Hello Shielsy! Are you feeling better now?

• Options

Cheers guys she is so chuffed

• Options

Hello Vixx - yes, I'm feeling a lot better, but it's taken a while for everything to 'settle' properly image.  How are you after your second marathon?  Have you been running anymore?

BP - if your daughter is a chip off the old block then I'm sure she'll soon improve upon her 10k pb.  I doubt I could have run a 10k in 55 minutes today, to be honest.  I went out after work tonight and did 6.6 miles in the sunshine image (and wind image) and I really enjoyed it, but boy could I feel the marathon still in my legs.

• Options

Just home from "meeting & greeting" at my clubs big race of the year the "Bluebell 10 mile" & the blubells just made it! The race is a favourite locally well known for the great organisation, encouraging marshalls and in particular the river crossing 100m from the finish.

Quite a bit of excitement too as there was a £200 prize on offer for anyone doing the tough cross country course in sub 60:00 mins. The winner bagged the check with a time of 59:29 (on my watch)

Biggest entry ever with over 410 registering and for the first time ever we ran out of parking spaces. Runners in my experience are generally a great group of people and understanding of the volunteer nature of these events  but for the first time ever - Iv'e done meet and greet for a few years now - I got very strongly verbally abused by 2 guys who turned up 7 minutes  - yes a whole 7 minutes - before the start to be told they would have to find a place to park on the street. On the plus side one of them did find me out after the race and apologised.image

A great day and very fulfilling - it's great to give something back to the sport that has given me so much - love it1image

• Options

Wow Roy - sounds like you have had a really good day there! Shame about the verbals, but at least one of them apologised. image  How is your training going?

HI Shielsy - I've had a couple of runs.  One was tonight after I finished helping my friend at a Food Festival, and I was chuffed to bits to do 3.25 miles in 29.40 image  I have never done that before. Granted it was on a treadmill, but I was short on time. It appears the drugs DO workimage

Am glad you are feeling better image

• Options

Well done Miss BP- that's a good time to start working at!

We hosted the county road relays today, run over a 5.5km course.  Our junior boys won and our senior men came second, so a good day all round. My pace was slightly better than my parkrun yesterday so I was pleased too and young OS ran a stormer and his team came 4th in the U15s which wasn't bad considering he's only 12.  Apart from the excitement of the race, the local airshow was going on overhead, so we were treated to flypasts by the Battle of Britain memorial flight, amongst others

Vixx- well done on your time

• Options

Thanks OS - sounds like you and Young OS have had a good weekend image  Are you starting to look forward to TR24? image

• Options

OS - great running by young OS and also by yourself - sounds as though wont be long till young OS is running along side you

• Options

BP- I'm afraid he won't be running along side me- he'll be a puff of dust in the distance!  His parkrun PB was only 90s behind me and that was set in March 2012!

Vixx- oooh yes!  Bring it on!  Although I have got another dozen or so racews before then...

• Options

Hi folks,

Shielsy - good to know I'm not alone re 'marathon legs'! Did 4 miles on Sat, 7 this morning (the latter as run-walk). Felt like my fitness had gone image. Guess it will come back in time - at least I hope it will!

• Options
    Vixx76 wrote (see)

Wow Roy - sounds like you have had a really good day there! Shame about the verbals, but at least one of them apologised. image  How is your training going?

Yes Vixx a great day with good weather and (mostly) fantastic runners to share it with.

Traing coming along nicely so feeling quietly confident which is always worrying!

• Options

3 weeks of speed training now to have an assault on my 10K PB (43:47) and even try to go sub 43 at BUPA London 10K on Bank Holiday Monday. Ran it in 2009 and course is virtually pancake flat so lets see what I can do.