Options

Great North Run 2013

Comments

• Options

Good morning everyone

the kids are staying at the in laws, the wife has gone to London so a lie in ? 

no, off to work again image

im all ready for Shrews Half tomorrow, number pinned to t shirt and chip tied to shoes.

i will have a look at set up in town today and report back later Vixx. 

Looking forward to seeing you again, its been a while.

• Options

Morning all.

Healing vibes to you, Fiona. I want you back in our race as soon as possible. Look after yourself.

Busy Saturday for me today: parkrun then Lions v Australia this morning, younger camel calf at a cycling event this afternoon, work-do this evening. image

Happy Saturday folks. Have a good one.

All the best with the half, Shrek

• Options

Morning all been really down in last few weeks as not been able to run due to a chest infection - hopefully now will be able to start again next week after Doc gave me some anti-biotics on Tuesday and decided to try to resolve my long running breathing issues. He has finally decided that they need to put me on a steroid based inhaler -  well I say that to be fair I have put it off as not happy with the idea of steroids in my system - I have finally decided that the only way I am going to be able to run all year is with this as it seems that my asthma (only come on in last 2 years) is pollen related so to run in pollen season is going to need the asthma controlled.

Feeling got alot more strength already.

• Options

Bearsted - am glad you are feeling stronger!

Hope you had a good parkrun XL image

Shrek - what's the weather like down there? Forecast has rain for tomorrow :S

It'll be great to catch up with you! image

• Options

I trotted round our parkrun this morning in the dry, but the heavens opened as we were having coffee so it was a good excuse to leg it back to watch the Lions.  Excellent match but a bit too close for my poor aging ticker.image

Good luck to those running at Shrewsburu tomorrow- look forward to the race reports

• Options

I watched it while on the cross trainer . The only advantage of being in the gym. Another 8 miles done. Hopefully will mean my cav fitness won't be too bad.

I actually have bruises this morning. It is sore to put my leg on the chair so I'll just have to stand. Nasty fizzimage

• Options

Ooops Fiona! He or she must have gone in hard.... :S

OS - the game sounds like it was a corker, but I was gutted it wasn't on terrestrial TV image

• Options

Vixx- I agree. I borrowed a friend's iPad with a Sky app on it. I'll have to be nice to him for next saturday too image

• Options

Afternoon all. Hope everyone is enjoying the weekend, I'm off so I am!! image

Ouch Fiona - Sounds painful!

BP - good to hear you are starting to feel better. Hope the inhaler does the job for you.

XL - wow - busy day for you there!

OS - sounds like the rain was timed perfectly for you.

Good luck to Vixx and Shrek for tomorrow, and of course to anyone else who is racing.

• Options

OS - don't give it him back! image

Mandie/OS - thanks for the good luck wishes. Am waiting to see how my stomach is as I've changed my diet and so far stomach not liking it. If it doesn't settle then I won't be going image

• Options

Vixx - I told him last week that he was nasty! However all in all things are much better. I can live with a bit of tenderness for a day or two. 

maybe you should change your diet back till Monday.image 

mandie hope you're having a nice weekend

XL - looks like you were also lucky with the parkrun weather. That was a rather nasty shower just about 10.

Shrek - hope the race goes well.

• Options

Is it just me or has everyone else lost their bookmarks too? It took me ages to find the thread image

• Options

I think it might be a reaction to cutting out sugar. I have a skin rash which looks like psoriasis but isn't. It has been steadily getting worse (quite often around injection time), but my docs don't think it is a reaction to the medication.

It's not itchy, and it's not infectious, but it's not going either, so although I don't eat a lot of processed foods, I'm being strict and cutting out anything with added sugar and have gone back to a gluten free pattern, and I'm not sure my body is happy, but it's for it's own good! 

• Options

I don't have this on a bookmark CC2 - am just lazy and wait for an email to pop into my e-mail inbox image How are you doing? Recovered from Edinburgh?

• Options

Have you just seen Mo Farah's last lap at Gateshead?? 51sec last lap. Awesome...image

• Options

That was an awesome run! image

• Options

Vixx, just fb messages u image

hope your stomach settles and ill see u in the morning.

weather is very changable here, sunny one min and rain the next, should be good running conditions.

thanks for all the good luck messages, getting an early night so will do race report tomorrow as long as the knee doesn't buckle on me image

• Options

Ps, my bookmarks have changed too and I don't like it

• Options

My bookmarks have changed too. I just use the web page address that comes up when I start typing the address.

• Options

Was getting ready to go to Shrewsbury and stomach decided it didn't want to go image

I was worried that might happen image

*goes back to bed, gutted*

• Options

it looks like a nice day today for Shrewsbury half 

gutted for you Vixx but better to get well.

i will post race report later once my knee has allowed me to hobble around !

• Options

Thanks Shrek! Enjoy the day image

• Options

Just back from a 7 mile run - in 80 minutes - the longest Ive run in years, and in pretty poor weather conditions. Also tried chocolate milk as a recovery drink - not had that since I was a kid - what a treat! Quite chuffed with myself and hope you've all had good runs too today.

• Options

Vixx - sensible thoughts on today but gutted for you as well

Just done first run in 2 1/2 weeks - did 10 miles at 8:35 on hilly route - did not feel totally comfortable but I think it was down to lack of fitness rather than the breathing issues as I was not wheezing. 

• Options

Shrewsbury Half Race Report image

Race started 30 mins late due to marshals not being in place ! Not a good start.

however once underway things picked up. Nice route along the river and through the town centre, great crowd support all the way.

some challenging hills both evil short ones and some long energy draining ones but once by Shrewsbury School it was all downhill from that point.

the zig zags at the end of each lap were not good and I am sure the course could have been extended somewhere to veer come this part.

second lap was better except being lapped by the full mara guys and girls who had to keep shouting to keep left so they could get through.

lots going on in the quarryak and the town for the spectators and I'm sure these few things will be sorted fort next year, all are easy fixable.

• Options

Nice t shirt and banana but crap goody bag.

changing facilities good at the swim centre.

will do again next year plus a massive bonus to be at home so soon after wards for some lunch and a cider image

• Options

Well done Shrek- was it windy too?  Its been blwoing a hooley down here and made my run very hard work.

Blade- I read somewhere recently that milk is as good a recovery drink drink as all those fancy recovery powders that are available at a fraction of the cost, and the chocoalte is then just for pleasure!

• Options

Well done Shrek and Blade41!

Shrek - how did the knee hold up?

Hi OS - how are you? 

How are you feeling now Bearsted?

• Options

Knackered by a 10mile run- rather sad really!  And i had to stop several times to catch my breath- I blame the wind!  It was behind me on the way out and in my face all the way back so it caught me out somewhat.

• Options

OS - it's not sad at all, it's not been great conditions out there today!