Options

Great North Run 2013

Comments

• Options

Cheers netty noo!! Great event!!

• Options

What a great day,  fantastic crowd, and aa pb to match 1.39 

• Options

Cc2, mr Sj- thanks for the clothing advice this morning- was having major dither about what to wear- went for vest in the end and was glad I did.

Cold at the end but perfect running conditions

Pb for me too 1:46 image

• Options

Well done to everyone running today.

It was a bit wet and windy, (and I got soaked during my 6 mile cycle home, when it really started lashing it down) but a great day, as ever.

Lovely to see Bearsted Plodder, Stringy, WTS, Mandie and Shrek at the start (where were the rest of you?) and then Dasher Dart and Wee Col at the end in the Sanddancer pub

Oh, and I got a pb, incredibly: 1:45:59!  Not bad for an old bird.

• Options

Your welcome Dawsey. Glad you enjoyed. Really hard watching at home so gutted will be there next year . What was your time ? 

• Options

Congrats to everyone who took part, you all looked awesome on the telly and were part of a great race image

• Options

Really enjoyed the race (bar some stupid kid throwing the contents of a bottle of water over me after about three miles). Last few miles were hard as almost certainly went too quick ealy on but still got a PB. 3.27 quikcer than last year and a crucial 12 seconds under the 1.50 barrier. I must have put a lot of effort in as have never been so tired and achy after a race before!

• Options

Went with shorts & t-shirt at the last minute when the warm-up was starting. Opted for compression socks which fell down within the first bit even before the start line. Was looking for Mrs KPO crossing the line for a quick change down the course, but could not find her.

My watch (not gps) died last night for some unknown reason, so I stared with just myself & my iPod. The first few miles were going okay until it started to rain.

A warm-ish Mr KPO turned into a cold Mr KPO which brought on some right aches and pains. I stopped at 8miles for a wee-wee, the calves were killing so simply.. "pulled my socks up"..which seemed to ease the effect (as well as running on both sides of the roads) and the socks remained to stay up the remainder of the race..

2009 time beaten by 13 minutes, which is now a new PB even though the furthest ive ran is 7.47miles the past few months..

I started at the back of the Orange 'D', and finished within the Orange group. Went for a BUPA massage afterwards as I have a 7mile cross-country on Wednesday.

• Options

MTViking, I think I was with you at that point (obviously didn't know it at the time!) - that kid was an idiot! Was bloomin freezing until about 4 miles in, but such a great atmosphere- PB for me too, 1:50:48 - I was hoping to sneak in under the 1:50 mark, but I'm happy to be close, especially given how congested it was - I was overtaking all the way image

• Options

Madbee,

I felt that I was always making progress through the crowd, even managed to bump into one guy who started to walk in the middle of the road.

I noticed a few pink runners had made there way through into the Orange colours, when I noticed this I just stepped aside and wished them well... image

That downhill section onto the sea front really did cause some pain and a big surge to the finish line once onto the grass caused a bit of jelly legs once over the line when trying to bend down to remove the timing chip from my laces.. ( I had laced it in).

• Options

Well done everyone. Great reading through everyone's experiences of the day.

• Options

Hope you all had a good run those who did the GNR yesterday. Now to the return journey, how long did it take you to get back to Newcastle centre? We booked on the Nirvana coach return and we were on the coach for 3 hours. We got told we would only be an hour, hour and a half tops, 3 bloody hours we were on that thing.

• Options

mark,

The worst bit was waiting in the queue for the Metro in the rain. Its never changed.

• Options

I took my bike down to Shields on Saturday night, chained it up next to where the baggage buses would be, so the next day I finished the race, got my bag, unlocked my bike, went for a pint in the Sanddancer and cycled back home to Jarrow going past all the cars stuck in traffic.

I did get soaked through however, as I forgot to pack a jacket with my change of clothes.

• Options

What a great event, I really enjoyed it.  A bit congested at times, but managed to reach my goal of sub 2 hours on my first HM.  Had a bit of a panic at the 200m marker as I couldn't get through the congestion and I knew I was very close to 2 hours.  A big sigh of relief when I had the confirmation SMS with 1:59:30

My biggest mistake was basing my run on  pace of 10 kph, it wasn't until about mile 10 when it dawned on me that 10kph isn't enough! image

Looking forward to 2014 already! 

• Options

I was in Newcastle city centre doing some shopping by 12.45pm. 

• Options

It was my first GNR and certainly won't be my last image we travelled up on Saturday and headed to the pasta party for a bit. There were 3 of us running and our husbands there for support. We had a lovely evening meal at the hotel (ravensworth arms- they were totally awesome) and an early night. Getting to the start line was easy but we had a bit of a wait at the start- wasn't it cold? The actual race was awesome, I felt strong and the support was immense. I loved seeing everyone in their charity shirts too. I started in G and was on for a faster time but hit a wall of people at 8ish miles that were walking/jogging very slowly and I struggled to get through them. It didn't bother me much though, the atmosphere was amazing.

Absolutely loved every second of it, even the freezing cold rain that came down about 20 mins in to my run. Thank you Newcastle, you're good hosts.

• Options

Blimey CC2. Did you apparate or something?

• Options

1:39:44. Apologies to anyone who was treated to my un-British shouty self-congratulating at the finish but the sub-1:40 was only secured via a sizeable negative split and a near-sprinted last mile. Never hurt myself like that before. Felt like the crowd got worse, not better, as I started in the middle of Zone C and was consistently balked on John Reid Road trying to hold a target split that should have been comfortable for people in that zone and further ahead.

Back next year, 10kgs lighter and with a better strategy...  

• Options
    mark wadsworth 2 wrote (see)

Hope you all had a good run those who did the GNR yesterday. Now to the return journey, how long did it take you to get back to Newcastle centre? We booked on the Nirvana coach return and we were on the coach for 3 hours. We got told we would only be an hour, hour and a half tops, 3 bloody hours we were on that thing.

I booked the Nirvana coach but gave up and got on the normal one for £3.50 to get back in time for my train.

• Options

Not quite Narrow Feet, but I ran from the finish to the baggage bus then to the metro and got straight on one. 

• Options

First GNR and thoroughly enjoyed it. My calfs didn't thoughimage a little stiff today.

It wasn't "hilly" more like running up a ramp for 12 miles, with a little down hill stretch and then a flat but breezy run along the coast to the finish.

My goal was to run a sub 1.50. When i heard the weather forecast i put this out of my mind and decided i would simply plod round and enjoy myself as much as i could.

On the day though the weather was not as bad as i feared so i set off fairly quickly.

After 3 miles i fely a bit queasy (too much water?) so decided just to run as i felt. I didn't check my watch until 8 miles and found, to my surprise, i was still on for a sub 1.50.

From that point on i paid more attention to my mile splits and managed to cross the line in 1.49.02.

Great organisation and atmosphere and the people in Newcastle/Gateshead were very polite and helpful. Only took 1hr 15 mins on the Nirvana coach back to my hotelimage

• Options

1st Gnr and wot a fab event. Crowds were awesome and I admire them for standing out their in the wind rain.Came through in 1.26 so a good work out for Berlin in 2 weeks. Thanks to the people of Newcastle for  great event and well done to all who took part ..

• Options
    CC2 - Speedy Goth wrote (see)

I was in Newcastle city centre doing some shopping by 12.45pm. 

I still had about 3 or 4 miles to go at that time!

My return to Newcastle  was slow. I have used the shuttle buses latterly, on the basis that by the time I finish the queues are always enormous whichever method you choose.  So the principle is, why walk in the wind and rain then queue when I can stay here and queue. I always go to the charity tent first to get a glorious cup of tea and a few treats before heading off.    This year there was an incident needing an ambulance which prevented all the shuttle buses getting back to the finish for about an hour - then 10 came at once!  I was back at my hotel by 5.30pm image

Arrived home to find my next race pack had arrived image Oct 6th Royal Parks half.  Really looking forward to it.

• Options

Yes great write-up Diedre

Steve J great running

• Options

1:28:49

Broke that 90mins barrier image

• Options
    What a weekend! I'll definitely be back for more,atmosphere was electric! I was going for sub 1.50 to just enjoy it,but it flew by and before i knew it i was at the boost zone with 3 miles left. Never felt that fresh at that stage. I slowed a bit to soak up the last mile and all the crowds and still took 3 mins off pb to finish in 1.42. The only thing then that i kind of wish i did different was realise i was on for sub 1.40 and push on in the last stretch. Still had an amazing time,best running event I've ever done by far!