Options

Great North Run 2013

Comments

• Options

Narrow Feet - that's brilliant - thanks - I'm actually running it as a training run so should be able to do the 2 miles to the metro as my warm down.

I need to put a bit more planning into it anyway because the bumph talks about Haymarket being the closest Metro station so I'm guessing that I won't be able to get to Jesmond due to the road closures.

Cheers, Skinny

• Options

SFF - You'll be able to get to Jesmond from the A69, but not via the Central Motorway. I would probably try to get a parking space around Central Station / St.James area. That way, you're on the right side of town to get to/from the A69, the walk to the start isn't that much further and you've got less to travel on the metro after the run.

• Options

I'm asking this question on behalf of my friend (I know it sounds like I'm lying, but I swear to God it's true image )

She's doing the GNR and she's just emailed me to say that she gets terrible cramps when running and within a couple of minutes she panics and needs to go immediately.

I'm lucky in that I don't normally have this problem so am not the best person to ask for advice.  I've suggested she tries Immodium or Buscopan, but I did warn her to trial them before the big day as she could take a bad reaction to them.  I've also asked her to consider her diet, just in case she's unknowingly wheat intolerant and is eating, I dunno, Weetabix before her morning runs.

So, can anyone suggest anything else for mid-run cramping?  (other than she runs with a bucket?)

• Options

Avoid dairy like the plague. It can be a major trigger of intestinal issues.

• Options

And she waits til now to look at this? image

I'd be looking at what she is eating, and when she is eating (how long between eating and running).  I'd second the immodium and make a mental note of where there are toilets. 

Panic will make it worse, so if she can try and take some deep breaths, then that might help.  

• Options

Tonight I shall be sorting through stuff that *almost* went to charity (the shop was shut) to find things to keep me warm before the race starts. 

• Options

Essentially, the stuff to eat before a run (i.e within a couple of hours of going) are refined carbs, stuff like complex carbs and proteins slow digestion.

This is important because when you run, you're body shuts down digestion and dumos everything in your stomach straight to the bowels, hence the cramps.

She should eat 2 white bagels with wahtever spread she wants a couple of hours before the run.

Immodium could end up causing worse cramps if she hasn't tested herself with it on long runs

• Options
    Vixx76 wrote (see)

And she waits til now to look at this? image

To be fair to her, I think it's just started to happen regularly so she's sought my advice now it's becoming a problem for her.

Thanks for the suggestions.  I've already told her about maybe cutting down on wheat and dairy and use any medication with caution (I think maybe I should have got her to sign a disclaimer so she doesn't sue me if it all goes Pete Tong for her image)

• Options

Could it be pre-race nerves?

• Options

Is Everyone ready for the off?? Im so excited 3rd GNR and its still an amazing feeling

• Options

Nerves always get to me but thankfully it's always a wee and being a bloke this is no problem as we are well designed to dispose of urine wherever we like !

jut a few days away now and getting excited, I'm packing my bag today so it's all getting very real now.

vixx, just read your post that Sarah is doing it this year, brilliant and good on her !

pure rest for me this week, no running and no alcohol but plenty of cards as I will be running for over 2 hours ! Hope for a 2hrs 15 / 20 ish this year but depends on the knee.

one tip for newbies is to take a black bin bag and use as a disposable waterproof at the Start.

• Options

Last  run tonight before the big race,  hope  I dont get injured. Am so excited for sunday 

• Options
    Shrek ! wrote (see)

Nerves always get to me but thankfully it's always a wee and being a bloke this is no problem as we are well designed to dispose of urine wherever we like !

image  Not sure the local constabulary would agree with you there, Shrek

• Options

I've seen some odd sights, at the Limassol Marathon there was one guy in front of me who stopped in the middle of the road (centre bit) and had a wee-wee against the tree. Not a good sight..

Anyhows, a bit of interval training tomorrow night then rest till sunday

• Options

Shielsy, is the bucket making its usual appearance this year ?

• Options

Shrek - of course!  A new bucket was duly purchased at Wilkinsons on Saturday ... it's becoming part of my GNR ritual now  image

Went out for a nice 3.5 miler tonight after work.  It was rather strange to be doing such a short distance and trying to take it easy.  I'll do another 3.5 miles tomorrow night and then that'll be me done until Sunday.

I learnt today that two women from my running club will be starting in the elite pen, so that's very exciting: 'Jarrow and Hebburn represent!!!'

• Options

Keep Plodding On: it's always funny (and a bit gross) to see all the blokes running off to the sides of the first underpass once the GNR starts to have a slash.  What's worse is when they just stick it out of the side of the pen and do it whilst everyone is just standing around.

• Options

Have you seen the elite line up? Amazing. I can't wait to watch the elite races when I get back home after the race.

Looked at the celeb list. I've heard of 9 of them. That's probably a record for me.

• Options

No charities for me this year, just running for myself...me..me..me... It might look a bit weird having no charity t-shirt on. Just need to remember to keep running and the end will come along.

I now know that the 10mile BUPA Sound Wall is not actually the 10mile Mark, its just short..which was a massive negative last time when I saw the real 10mile marker board.

So...its not 10, unless its officially 10..

• Options

7 miles for me tonight, 6 tomorrow and 6 again on Thursday.

Then a retirement do with a free bar on Friday.

Recovery on Saturday

Soaking up my first GNR on Sunday.  Can't wait.

• Options
    First GNR for me, and a major achievement since being in intensive care for five weeks just under three years ago with Guillain Barr?? Syndrome. Excited and nervous in equal measures. Wish me luck!
  • Options

First GNR for me also, very excited but looking at weather reports it seems as though it may be a wet one.

Anyone any idea how long before the start i will need to drop baggage off, i guess i need to wear a waterproof and throw it away if it is raining.

Good luck all

• Options

AntL - I'm fairly certain information like when the baggage buses leave Newcastle will be contained in the magazine you got with your race pack?

And yes, a black bin liner is always a good idea.

• Options

The baggage buses are on the embankment above the A167 carriageway. They sit along the road facing the rear end of the starting pens.

Attach the baggage label well in advance and put it onto the bus, remembering to turn things off etc. Its probably a 5min walk down the sliproad to the starting area.

In the past, people have removed tops/trousers and dumped them by the side of the road, you WONT get these back. They are gone forever.

Someone earlier in the thread mentioned spending a few £ in a charity shop, a wise idea if its wet.

I wear Dri-fit Shirts & Shorts, therefore raining or not, im happy.. image

• Options

How strict are they about people going into their assigned starting pens?

I ask because I've been assigned pen D and my mate has been assigned pen Cbut were going to just both go into one or the other.

• Options

John - they have always been very strict about moving forward - your mate can drop back into your pen with no problems - I am doing that to run with my daughter

• Options

Finally received my new number and zone (C) thanks for all the advice from you vets on here. Can't wait for the weekend now! 

• Options

Does the field spread out at all or is it crowded all the way if you're on for a timeof about 1 hour 45?

• Options

The first couple of miles are busy, but then it settles down. Just dont waste energy trying to zig zag past everyone on your first mile