Options

Manchester Marathon 2013

Comments

• Options

Oh oh.... not again....

UK Outlook for Monday 22 Apr 2013 to Wednesday 1 May 2013:

Largely unsettled with showers or longer spells of rain across the UK. The rain will be heaviest and most persistent across the north and west, and showers may turn wintry at times across northwestern hills. The south and east of the country will see the best of the dry and bright weather with some spells of sunshine. Through the start of the period, temperatures will generally be near normal but a little below in the wind and rain across the north and west but occasionally rather warm in any brighter interludes in the south and east. Later next week and into the following week, temperatures will tend to fall below normal in most places, and possibly rather cold in the north and west with some overnight frosts.

(MET office)

• Options

Good job we've all got webbed feet up here then!  Bin bags at the ready...

• Options
    cybarevcybarev ✭✭✭
    I think my biggest problems are going to be not going off too fast at the start and then keeping going at around the 18-20 mile mark when psychologically I've not gone much further and that's about the stage my thighs start to "hurt"

RRR, this is my third marathon And I always struggle between 13 and 20. The thing is I'm convinced its all in the mind. I know in training I've run more than 20 miles and can do it so for me it's a case of trying to overcome the mind games. I try and remember all the hard training I've put in over the months of training and remember those who have come out to support me. I know it's psychological because after 20 miles I pick up and get things going again. So much of the battle is in your head. Think positive, you know you can do it.
  • Options

That be a great time Steve, i did Manchester last year, me and a couple mates travelled up from Plymouth on the Friday. Thought we go out for a bite to eat when we got up there...Bad mistake, ended up back at the hotel at 3am, killer hangover on the Saturday BUT come Sunday i ran the race of my life (It was my 2nd ever mararthon, first one was 4 weeks earlier), even though the weather was horrific, never felt so cold in my life i still managed a 3 hours 24-25mins so was well chuffed...It then took me 2 hours to find my bloody bag thanks to the baggage fiasco but i'm looking forward to this years, would love a sub 3 hrs 10 but i know those last 6 miles in any marathon is painful. Gonna run with the 3hrs 15 pacer and see how it goes. image

• Options

Hi all. My marathon PB is 3:21:23, half marathon 1:29:23. I have been training 5 times a week and around 50 miles per week. I know I have a sub 3:10 in me one time but not this marathon. I don't want to go off too fast and blow up. I am going to go with the 3:15 pacing team. If anything left around mile 22 push on for sub 3:15 and if not hang on to come in under 3:20. Sounds easy in my head! image

• Options

Hi Paul, you sound around about at my level then.  What's your 10k PB, out of interest?

RR - Yeah, i've noticed a few unusual pains as well, I suspect it's my body readjusting to more rest and lower miles.

Canuck - The weather nerds (previously mentioned) are saying that it looks like it's going to go one way or the other right now.  It could be really quite cold for the time of year or the alternative is really quite hot.  They are favouring cold though and I have to be honest, out of the choce of them two, i'll take the cold (no rain please).

• Options
    ValleyValley ✭✭✭

Too many people in the office ill, aarrgghh somebody get me a bubble to live in for the next week image

• Options

SB - only ever done one 10k 41:38. Do a 6 mile run every year with PB of 39:16. 10 mile PB 66:38

Legs have felt heavy this week and on reduced mileage. Very strange!

• Options

not sure why it reposted this. ignore.

• Options

I'll take the cold (I'm a canuck after all!), but please no rain or wind!

• Options

Cheers PP.  I only ask because I see a lot of these marathon time guides based on 5/a0k or half mara times and they seem to be very ambitious and rarely seem to tally with people's real experience.  I'm supposed to be aiming for about 3 hours to 3.03....

As PureMagic pointed out earlier in the thread, running a marathon requires an endurance base and an ability to deal with glycogen defecit that the other distances don't  I think they over estimate the marathon times on those things.

• Options

Being a Canuck, you'll be praying for snow, surely?image

• Options
    Strangely Brown wrote (see)

One day mate but not on this one.

My HM PB is only 1.28.52.  It was during this trainig so no taper.  I'm sure i'd get that a little lower with proper taper.  I'm not at sub 3 level yet.

I've been running 5 times a week, up to 55 miles (well, I peaked at 58 actually) a week.  Should, fingers crossed, put me in shape for a decent sub 4 time but sub 3 will be a bridge too far.  That'll be my aim for my second one though.

You sound like your following the same sort of plan as me, i peaked at 55mile. I think you should aim for at least 3:10 with that HM time mate.

• Options

SB - snow might give me an unfair advantage over the competition image

• Options
    Strangely Brown wrote (see)

Cheers PP.  I only ask because I see a lot of these marathon time guides based on 5/a0k or half mara times and they seem to be very ambitious and rarely seem to tally with people's real experience.  I'm supposed to be aiming for about 3 hours to 3.03....

As PureMagic pointed out earlier in the thread, running a marathon requires an endurance base and an ability to deal with glycogen defecit that the other distances don't  I think they over estimate the marathon times on those things.

HAHA. PureMagic eh - I think that sounds better than Manic.

Yes, in my opinion and experience, the marathon time guides are accurate provided that you have the necessary stamina - built by many miles training - and that is possibly why they may not match many peoples results since it takes a lot more time and effort to build the stamina ?

Sounds like a few of us in the 3.15 train now. I'll chuck my PBs into the ring - 10K 37.50,  M 3.15.48,  HM 1.28.15. That's in chronological order but the 10K time was many years ago before I was a VET !

The knee pain seems to get worse when I rest and subsides when I increase the mileage again  - I don't get it ?- so my Taper has now gone into reverse. !

Still no number for me..........

• Options

Seems there will be quite a few of us with the 3:15 pacers or stick near PureMagic!

• Options

Ideal, see you all there...That's if my bloody number turns up..grrrr.

• Options

Morning everyone....feeling very slow among you speedy blokes!  Most jealous!

Nothing of any excitement to report here.  Am going a bit mad trying to rest before tomorrows last long run...well not that long, will do between 12 and 14 I think...slowly....I won't do anything else above 5 miles until marathon day after that.

What length run are others doing this weekend?  I suppose if I was doing it Sunday I would cut it to say 10 miles, but as it's a Friday I reckon I can get away with a few extra miles and still recover ok.

Well, 4 seasons in one day here....Rain, Sun....and VERY strong winds.  There is actually some heat in the sun I thought, but you can't benefit from it with this cold wind!

nope, no number for me yet again...they are cutting it a bit fine aren't they?  I entered it in Jan, and live local.  Don't really see any reason why they can't have dished them out by now.  never had this problem with the Manchester 10k or GNR and there are much more participants!  Rant over!

Panda

• Options

Unfortunately or fortunately (which ever way you look at it) i'm on a stag trip to Newcastle tomorrow, so 2 nights out on the beer, i'll look at it as carbing up...ha.

I'll run with the club tonight and maybe once or twice next week and that should be it for me, got a massage booked for next week as well.

• Options
    SallymaxSallymax ✭✭✭

Oh good, glad you appeared Redpanda - was feeling a little intimidated by all those 3.15 ers!!!!

I've got 8 miles on my schedule for the weekend and a lovely friend of mine is arranging a tea and cake 8 mile plod especially for me - so should be fun.  I've been so lucky with this marathon training as have only done 3 weekend runs alone so it really hasn't been a drag at all, in fact was actually thinking I'll miss the long runs at the weekend!!

Hoping for perfect weather, not hot, no rain or wind, I've pictured the whole day in fact, including the weather and of course the finish! 

Still not sure about what pace to go for, think 9 minute miles but whether I'll be able to keep it up, who knows?  This marathon malarkey is all new for me!

How many marathons have you done Redpanda and why do you keep doing it again and again - just wondered??

• Options

Ha ha Pete...maybe you could get one of those fat Geordie lasses from the Quayside to give you a "massage"!!!....LOL...I am a North Easterner (now adopted Manc), so I have spent many a night in the bigg market or Quayside.  You will have such a laugh....but don't wear a coat or you will look like a sissy.  Also....on no account, mention football...at all!!

panda

• Options

Ooops...possible name change in the offing PM?image

• Options

Hi Sally....I welcome the female presence on this thread!image

What does a tea and cake plod entail?  I like the sound of it!  I must say, I prefer to run alone...I am a really sociable person, but I really can't run and talk...I can physically do it, but I get a bit tetchy when I get a bit tired and I just couldn't be bothered talking to someone...I wish I could though, as I wouldn't get so bored!

...Hey...Sign up for an Autumn marathon, then you can start your long runs all over again!

This will be my 8th.....I just love the buzz!  I get a real feeling of pride when I cross that line..you will love it.  Plus, it keeps me focused...I know I have to train if I want to get round, unlike a 10k or even a half, you can't really blag a marathon.  If I don't have that goal I will sit on my arse most days and stuff my face. I am trying hard to resist that temptation now actually...especially as my tummy is getting bigger! Right now, my bladder is my biggest worry.  It was ok before, but just this week it has got really bad.  I bet I have been for a wee about 25 times today..and that is no exaggerationimage!

I tell you one thing...I guarantee, this won't be your last marathon!

Panda

• Options

Rp - just a "little" 12 miles for me on Sat morn, before a jaunt down to Worcester for the day.

Strange about your number, having had mine for a few weeks now.

Green Pete - Hardcore marathon preperation!  I've kind of meandered into not drinking for the build up.  Didn't necessarily plan for that to happen but it sort of just felt like the right thing to do.  Went tea total last weekend (well I had a sip of cider but don't think that counts), will again this weekend and then it's marathon weekend.  That will then be the longest stretch without a bevvy since I was about 17 years old - crikey!

• Options

To be honest SB i rarely drink anymore, don't mind the odd big one every month or two but that's it now. Would rather go for a run on a Sunday morning with some of the guys with a tea afterwards...My God i'm getting old.

• Options

well i did blackpool mara 2 weeks ago, 17miles last weekend, and im planning 12miles this weekend. with 3 shortish runs next week on Mon, Weds & Thurs. giving me a solid 48 hours rest before the big one, should be like a COILED SPRING image

• Options

Agree about the drinking... Obviously I can't really drink much anyway,  but I was having the odd glass of wine, maybe one on Friday and one on Saturday, but then I thought "Whats the point?", so I stopped bothering a few weeks back and feel loads better.  It's just one more thing to make you feel crap, and for the sake of a few weeks would rather cut it out.  In fact I probably won't bother again until baby is born, just not worth it.

Panda

• Options

This is really getting to be a speedy thread! I'll be coming in almost last at this rate!

I've decided I'm going to wear a T-shirt with my name on, it's black with "Heidi" written in pink on the front (real name). If it's really cold I'll stick something else on underneath.

No number for me either but I ordered my gels online so it's starting to feel real now, so looking forward to it. Mini Molly wants to go shopping at the Trafford Centre after the marathonimage

• Options

Been lurking for a few weeks on this thread image but now seems a good time to post looking forward to Manchester coming over from N.Ireland with 3 club mates for it , trainning has went well but only got a couple of parkruns done as warm up races due to the snow a few weeks ago putting pay to the half marathon i had planned.

Current PB 3hrs 24mins 1sec my target would be to just to dip under 3.20 but it a big ask, hope the weather kind to us don't mind a bit of rain but no wind please. 

• Options

The only time I've ever felt like that Jedwards was before last year's Manchester 10k when the pre-race exercise routine got me so pumped up I felt like a greyhound released from the trap.  I'm sort of hoping that doesn't happen before the marathon though as I'll go off too quickly...and also beacuse I feel more like a bouncy ball after all this carb loading (with more emphasis on the ball than the bounce).

Still no number for me either RP - we might have to run an alternative marathon or just sneak in at the back...